Epiphany Tripel | Oaken Barrel Brewing Company

Style: Tripel

Added by GreenWBush on 11-15-2005

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This pours slightly hazy slightly light greenish amber. There was no head to speak of.

Smells sweet, floral.

Taste is sweet also, kind of a twangy spicey sweet, but that is the alcohol coming through. I pick up almost no hops at all.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, a bit creamy.

Finish is slippery, sweet and has an alcohol edge.

This is a pretty good beer. I would recommend it if you see it available and are looking for a Belgian triple style made in America.

3.57/5  rDev +4.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours a lightly goldened straw color with just a few wisps of head over top. Clarity is excellent on this one, but there is a distinctive lack of carbonation bubbling up in this beer. I always like a healthy bubble in a trippel. It looks really lifeless with the lack of head and the lack of bubble. Nose is nice. Nice notes of candied sweetness, light banana and spices, a moderate pilsner maltyness. It is nice and strong without being forcefull and too in my face. Flavor is good, but pushing a little towards too sweet for my taste. The pilsner maltyness is most prevalent, with a hint of golden raisin, banana and moderate Belgian yeasty spiceyness. There is a light alcohol flavor in there, but it doesn't detract at all. There is a lot of candied sweetness in there as well, which gives it the strong sweetness in the flavor. Feel is a solid moderate with a light carbonation. I'm just not impressed with the carbonation level on this one. Its just not lively at all. Overall, this is a tasty beer, if not a touch too sweet. My only major iswue is the carbonation level. I don't think I would try too hard to get this one again, but wouldn't turn down a free one.

3.99/5  rDev +17%

Thanks to hopdog for this...
Appears a light gold with a small white cap that fades out quickly. Small streams of bubbles rise quickly to the top. Tiny traces of lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of peaches, ncetarines, apricots, candy sugar, and yeast.
Taste is of the same aromas with a mild amount of spice.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with seemingly near perfect carbonation that plays along the palate.

1.55/5  rDev -54.5%

Blech. Poured into a chalice with a very thin, almost apple juice looking body, no head whatsoever. Nose was of candy sugar, strange smelling yeast, not a good yeasty flavor, a bad yeasty flavor, smelled too much like a witbier, so, strike one for me. It also smelled like when you find salad greens in your fridge that are about a week too old. Strike three. The taste itself... blech. Sour, soapy, stale bread tasting. Not something I was able to finish. I'm glad it came in a sampler, because if I would have paid full price for this beer, I would have to seriously call shenanigans.

3.8/5  rDev +11.4%

I am suprised at the reviews so far for this beer. I had this last night at a local beer tasting down in Madison, IN along with several other christmas beers made in Indiana. I had this beer first and I liked it the best by far.

It poured a hazy gold with very thin head that didn't hang around long enough to drink. There was very little carbonation as well. The beer was quite sweet with little to no spice flavoring. I was suprised as this is a Christmas beer. I could not taste the alcohol either which suprises me reading these other posts. Maybe we got a good batch? This is one of the better beers I have had in quite some time. There was a slight hint of tuna juice in the beer which oddly didn't turn me off. It took me a minute to really pin it down but that is the best way to describe it. This was almost like drinking apple juice with corn syrup added. I really loved the beer and can see myself drinking a lot of this. Everybody at the beer tasting liked this beer the best out of the 7 or 8 that we had. I will be looking out for it when I head up to Indianapolis this weekend.

3.82/5  rDev +12%

Every time I see this on the chalkboard at the brewpub, they are out of it. So I was excited to see it in bottles at the local store. The bottle conditioning yeast is barely visible as I pour, the body is clear and straw colored. Medium, quickly retreating foam caps it. Smells malty, slightly fruity.

Lots of flavors in the taste, and some alcohol. Mouthfeel is just off, I can't quite describe it. "Thin" comes close, but is not correct. This is a drinkable beer, though.

2.61/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I love when breweries attempt styles outside of the conventionally accepted brew-pub line-up that leans towards boring ambers and pales. I am always delighted when a brewery throws us 'saisons', Belgian quads and tripels, and generally unexpected offerings, as Oaken Barrel has been doing lately. Unfortunately, these styles can be difficult to accurately reproduce. I'd rather have a brewery that tries its hand at tough styles and fails occasionally than one that makes only simple styles and never really tries to propel its reach further than its grasp.

This beer comes out of the bottle a surprisingly polished copper, with spare lace clouds sticking to the very top of the glass. This particular offering was stripped of any bottle conditioning, which was sort of disappointing.

The nose is full of expected candi sugar, but is also sort of dusty and off in its yeast profile. There's something lurking in there like vomit. Fresh baked bread pops up at warmer temperature. Gumballs. A few hits of spiciness. Cloves.

The taste is brash, spicy alcohol disguised with a syrupyness that is like a combination of corn syrup and nutrisweet. The malt base reminds me a little bit of Miller High Life.

Unblended, ragged, and a cloying sweetness combine to make this particularly unappealing and undrinkable, but not quite a drain-pour.

I didn't expect this to stand up to the greats of this particular style, but this was not pleasant. I want to give the brewery props for the attempt but I just can't praise this beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last