König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen) | Kaltenberg International / König Ludwig International GmbH & Co.KG

König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen)König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen)

Kaltenberg International / König Ludwig International GmbH & Co.KG
Germany
koenig-ludwig-brauerei.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by kbub6f on 07-07-2002

3.8

1.62/5  rDev -57.4%

look pale golden color light cloudy body. nice foamy head thick and rich stuck to the glass

smell was of yeast and spice not the citrus I expected

taste wheat and banana overwhelming banana with a slight hint of clove but mostly banana. intrusive and just to much. it was unpleasant and ruined the beer for me

aftertaste was more bananas just to much for me

1.98/5  rDev -47.9%

A - Decent white fluffy head that faded quickly. Good lace as well. The beer is not as cloudy as I expeced.

S - Very light smell of banana bread and slight clove. The weak smells sum up to fresh apples.

T - The taste is watered down and kind of tastes moldy. This is very discouraging. I hope I just have an old bottle. The apple tastes comes in as well on the back end.

M - The carbonation was not high enough which resulted in a heavy body with no life.

D - I want to try this beer again and maybe I will get better results. I ove hefe-weizens and this was a bad attempt. Again maybe I have an old bottle. Not very tasty at all.

2.33/5  rDev -38.7%

Cloudy straw colored brew with a white head that fades to a thin almost nonexistent layer fast. No lace to speak of. Bready yeast smell with a citrus bite on the nose. Banana flavors hit me on my first sip. Very dry right up to the end. There seems to be something missing from this beer, it just doesn't have much character to speak of. Thin and dry on the mouthfeel. I was actually thirsty after drinking this beer. I can't recommend it.

2.56/5  rDev -32.6%

The beer looks fine for a cloudy beer. The head was surprising. It formed very quickly, and when I set the glass down, some actually came out over the brim. It lasted a little while and started to shrink, clinging only slightly to the glass.

I have drank many different kinds of beers, but I'm not educated enough on the subject to label the certain things I like and don't like. I know that this beer's scent is basically the kind I don't like. The cloudy beers with the yeast in the bottle have a scent and flavour I just don't enjoy (with the odd exception).

I had the flavour of this one nearly written off as soon as I smelled it. I gave it the full go, though, and it's got things in it I like. The banana people talk about isn't overpowering at all. It's just noticeable. That unique hint saves this one just a bit for me. The aftertaste does linger a little long, though.

I find this beer a bit over-carbonated for my liking. While I don't like most of the taste & feel, there is something a little smoother to it. Perhaps it's a mental thing, my mind thinking there's a creamy banana inside.

As for drinkability... for me, I won't drink it again. It might be worth a try if you want something off the beaten path, but for my tastebuds, it's not something I enjoy.

2.59/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

500ml bottle poured into a wheatbeer glass.

Look - poured with a big fluffy white head typical of a german wheatbeer. Looks the same as any other. Nothing special.

Nose and palate seemed a bit muddled to me. Not the strong banana/clove combo you get with some or the spicy/bubblegummy you get with others. It tasted a bit weak - didn't really like it.

Mouth seemed a bit watery.

Not sure what was going on with this beer. I had high hopes and love German wheatbeers generally. Perhaps I'm gradually going off the style, not sure. I will revisit some of my old favourites soon to figure it out.

Overall I was disappointed with this beer and wouldn't recommend it.

Poor.

2.68/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nothing special. A bit boring

2.69/5  rDev -29.2%

Cloudy dark straw hue, covered by a thick well retained head that leaves lace. Grainy wheat upfront in aroma, followed by snap of tartness, a hint of clove phenol and a slightly metallic tinge. The flavor is dominated by wheat tartness supported by bready malt. Yeast esters fall short of providing contrast to the grainy flavors, and only light banana is discernible. Mid palate, the brew becomes dry, leaving an odd void in flavor. Paltry hop bitterness offsets the very light malt sweetness. Lightly bodied for style, with a somewhat chalky mouthfeel. Finishes watery, with light lemony tartness briefly lingering. An uninspired, somewhat bland hefeweizen akin to an American version.

2.72/5  rDev -28.4%

50cL brown bottle with "Königlich Bayerisches Bier" on the front. Is it really? Bearing in mind it's a cold Weizen on a thirsty night...

Appearance: Average cloudy pale orangey-yellow colour, your run-of-the-mill Bavarian Hefeweizen. Head retention is disappointing, and head is snow-white. Even though I poured it imprecisely, without stirring up the Hefe on the bottom of the glass, it didn't leave a brown stain on the head like most Weizens do. Although the bottle looks German, there is something non-genuine about this beer. Still, it's cloudy, it's approximately the right colour, but its authenticity so far is poor.

Smell: Thin, but fairly true to the style. Banana, phenol, wheat malt. Not bursting with flavour, but very German - reserved, polite and unassuming. Pretty average, not a great Weißbier.

Taste is also less than outstanding. Slightly sour, marginally more complex than the smell makes it appear, but not entirely true to the style. Banana is less evident, phenol still around with some tartness in the mouth. Dry, refreshing, but rather bloating - this fills your stomach up in a watery way which is not what you want on a spring eve in a warm house. You don't want that at all, really.

Mouthfeel is way too thin - lacking a lot. There is still something to chew on there though, probably due to the fact it's a cloudy beer - the bottle conditioning adds something. Drinkability - not impressed because of the belly-filling-up-with-water effect. It's refreshing but I hate that bloating sensation.

Overall - not a bad beer, but I am hard on my Hefeweizens because I enjoy them so much. Tough love. If this were rated in terms of any beer style, it would be marginally above average.

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

2.77/5  rDev -27.1%

Very pale yellow color, I'm tlaking very pale. Head pours large and creamy, fading to a rocky surface. Smells lightly of yeast, citrus, and very light corriander. Taste is malty and very yeasty, but lacks a lot of flavors that a good Hefe should have, in the quantity a hefe should have. Not a bad beer, but not a very good one either. Kind of annoying as the beer goes down in the glass.

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

Well, I was a little disappointed in this one.

A: Looks ok, like a Hefe should, though it was yellow, not golden. appropriately cloudy.

S: minimal, very light malty smell

T: I should hedge here. At first, I was not really impressd. Very strong, sweet wheat that almost overpowers you and this lingering bitter background. But alas, in comes the Hefe savior - the lemon -and it really helps. A lemon balances the sugar and alcohol making it a fairly enjoyable beer.

M: Whoa, way too carbonated, reminiscent of the swill called Bud Light I used to drink as one of the ignorant unwashed. (i.e. Before BA.com!)

D: Eh...too fizzy for me.

I much prefer other Hefes to this one. Not recommended.

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy gold colored brew with a small bright white head. Minimal lacing. Smell was predominantly bready yeast. Taste was wheat grain with banana and lemon notes. Unfortunately, it also had a metallic topnote/aftertaste that I found quite unpleasant. I thought it might be a bad bottle, but others have also described this metallic taste and the "Best by" date on this bottle was Jan 05... still 8 months away. Decent mouthfeel, Didn't really want another after finishing it! Hefe Weizen is one of my favorite styles, but there are many others I'd rather have than this.

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%

For an authentic Bavarian Hefeweizen, I was not overly impressed with this one's flavor or drinkability. I usually like my Hefe's light, crisp and easy to drink. This one had alot of flavor and was rather hard to get down. Perhaps I'm still too "green" on sampling this style as most I've had have been American brewer Hefeweizen's (Sam Adams, Shiner etc.) and I need to explore more German ones. For now I'm giving this a lower grading but perhaps in a year or 2 down the road I may return and like this one better.

2.81/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Who am I kidding just not a fan of Here's, but this is probably a good hefeweizen.

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

A: Pours a yellow/orange color with a big head that fades quickly.

S: Aromas of cloves and bananas. Bit watered down though.

T: The usual hefe flavors are here but they come across very flat. Finishes with a minor sweet corn aftertaste.

D: Not my favorite hefeweizen by a long shot. Seems very watered down and slightly flavorless.

2.85/5  rDev -25%

2.85/5  rDev -25%

König Ludwig “Royal Bavarian” Hefe-Weizen pours a murky orange from a 330ml dark brown glass bottle. Head went to just under two fingers, then leaving no trace behind that a Hefe-Weizen had been poured into my 22oz beer glass. Very active streams of carbonation bubbles are making their way to the surface, but leaving no foam, ring, or lace of any kind.

Nose is a subdued rustic German hefe-weizen, nothing jumping out at me, save for a damp tangerine. Palate is also subdued, all the elemants are here, banana, clove, pepper, and a tangerine citrus sour, but not in any great amounts.

A refreshing ale... even a tasty one as well, just not a great ale that I would seek out again.

2.88/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

a bit too sweet for my tastes

König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen) from Kaltenberg International / König Ludwig International GmbH & Co.KG