Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

bigrockbeer.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by lipschitz on 02-01-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

As far as bargain beers go, this is surprisingly drinkable... no better or worse than kokanee, corona, bud, canadian etc, and kind of like a bit less flavorful Grasshopper, I add a little lime to it and it is even better...

I didn't notice a horrible smell about it like some mentioned about the older stuff in the red can, it is a weaker tasting beer and not overly carbonated, however, it is still 5% and with the pop top that turns the can into an aluminum cup it would be super easy to slam this beer... if you are going to binge drink, it appears this would be perfect.

It is super easy to drink so it would be great after hiking or on a hot day when any easy drinking beer would do

The beer comes in a different can than this site previously showed for the old version though, the new can makes it known that Big Rock brews it and it has a simple beige and orangey red colored logo, so I believe they changed the formula too. I tried it a few years ago in the old cans like it shows on this site in another review, but didn't care for it... now in the new cans it seems more palatable and has no foul odour (it is unpasteurized so perhaps some people got old stock?)

Sure, it is not a high end beer you savour and it is a bargain beer so I didn't expect it to be like a craft beer, but it tastes better than many of the big factory beers and better than the other budget beers... so if you are out of work and still want to have a beer but don't want to spend a fortune, this will still work until you can pay $10 for a single bottle of craft beer in the liquor store again

As per the Big Rock Brewery site : http://bigrockbeer.com/beer/alberta-genuine-draft

Key Ingredients:
Yeast: Big Rock's own special yeast,
Hops: Nugget and Willamette
Malt: 100% Alberta grown malt

Appearance:
Clear, pale golden yellow

Aroma:
Light malts, mild hops

Mouthfeel:
Light body, medium carbonation

Food Pairing:
Chicken burgers, pork chops, trout fillets and bratwurst.

2.05/5  rDev -18.7%

Well, the beer seemed popular as hundreds of people were drinking it but for $6.00 at a festival this wasn't worth the money....or the upset stomach following the next day. Probably the most disgusting thing to ever touch my insides, I was gagging all night I had to chase it with a palm bay hours after my stomach finally settled. Wouldn't recommend even if you were as desperate to get drunk as I was. Not worth it. Seriously. Cash me drinking bud light over AGD (Bud light is trash too but compared to this lol.. its gold)

P.S .

It isn't that bitter which was nice

3.76/5  rDev +49.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I think this is a good cheap beer. Taste smooth and will go down easy, not much suds so it's not as filling. A summer beer cause it's so easy to drink, plus the price is right.

2.06/5  rDev -18.3%

One of those basic bargain beers that in this case have those pull top cans where you can really bask in the horrendous aroma of this beer. It's not terrible tasting, it just doesn't smell particularly good. It's crisp enough to 'get the job done' on a hot day when you're hurtin' for cash.

2.93/5  rDev +16.3%

At least one local bar has a "price of crude" beer, a program through which the cost of a pint of a certain brand is pegged to the cost of a barrel of oil.

Given the current low cost of oil, that brand these days is AGD--because it's the cheap stuff.

And, okay, it's not heinous; nor is it particularly good: suffers from the Big Rock yeast, which I find evocative of packing peanuts, and it leans sweet, without any of the crispness or hop bite I like to see if I'm drinking a pale lager. Indeed, there's almost a blonde ale-like fruity, estery-ness here. Flavours of slight lemon, a touch of pale, biscuit, crackery malt.

I'm not mad at it, and at the current price of crude, under $4 for a pint ain't so bad.

2.77/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.61/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

2.64/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This stuff was had the right watery consistency and right price point to justify puncturing the bottom of the can with our keys before cracking open and drinking as fast as possible, repeating the process as many times a night as were physically capable for a 17 year old.

2.59/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.25/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.74/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.68/5  rDev -33.3%

4.88/5  rDev +93.7%

I dont see what this beer got such a poor review!! I guess its gotta be like Bud with 50000 commercials a day before ppl start going after it.
I was actually hoping dumba*s useless province of ON, & U.S would start selling this beer too!!
Awesome price, grrreat taste, verrry smooth!!!

2.5/5  rDev -0.8%

2.25/5  rDev -10.7%

This was the shittiest I have ever experienced in my life. I had 1/2 a can of it and chunked because it was so fucking disgusting. I would rate it lower than 1.0 if that were an option. It can't even get me drunk because I will chunck if I even try to drink anymore. If I wanted to stay sober and vomit I would have gone to a binder restaraunt and wiped my ass by dumping water down my crack and drink the water. This is a disgrace to anything that is remotely alcoholic and no matter how cheap it is save yourself the chunk and don't buy it. People should pay you to drink this. Crap.

1.5/5  rDev -40.5%

2.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Overall, for what it is, this beer isn't bad. It's a smidge better than the major competition out there - Molson Canadian and the like - as it's a bit maltier and I really appreciate the lack of preservatives.

Nothing much more to write home about after that, though. Another standard run-of-the-mill lager, and by style alone, I normally don't rank lagers very high. The price point is, I suppose, the one other decent selling feature here. Give it a try if you're looking to save - otherwise give this guy a pass.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast