Big Rock Lime | Big Rock Brewery

Big Rock Brewery
Alberta, Canada
bigrockbeer.com

Style: Light Lager

Light body with slight lime aroma and flavour.

Added by IronDjinn on 07-01-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.55/5  rDev +4.1%

It seems as though Big Rock wanted to cash in on the lime-infused beer craze that Bud Light Lime started here in Canada this summer. Unfortunately, they managed to create something that tastes worse than Bud Light Lime. It's too bad, since Big Rock usually produces above-average beers. Anyway, on to the review.

Big Rock Lime pours a very pale straw colour. It almost seemed to have a slight green hue to it, but that may have been my imagination. The head is very thin and quickly disappears. Within 30 seconds there is no evidence that a head ever existed. There is no lacing.

The aroma is typical of light beers: a faint grain odour, but not much else. Where this beer differs from most light beers, of course, is the citrus smell, which is very subtle.

The flavour is fairly bland. This is an uninspired light beer with lime flavour added. There are no noticeable malt or hop flavours. Mostly, it's a flavourless beer to which lime has been added. The lime notes come across as very sweet, almost like lime-flavoured candy, rather than real citrus flavours.

The mouth feel is thin and grainy, which isn't unexpected in a light beer, but still not particularly enjoyable.

Despite all of it's shortcomings, Big Rock Lime is a pretty drinkable beer. It goes down fast and easy, especially on a hot day. It's a decent summer beer, but if you're going to opt for a lime-infused beer this summer, I'd choose Bud Light Lime over Big Rock Lime. I never thought I would choose a Bud product over a Big Rock brew, but in this case, Big Rock has definitely produced the inferior product.

2.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Ok, I've never tried Bud Lime before, so nothing to compare with. It is really hot outside these days, so I figured it would be appropriate to try this now.
Pours very pale golden yellow with small white bubbly head which dissipated really quickly. Smell - malty, not as much lime as I'd expect, slightly grassy, pretty faint overall. Taste - cheap lager with artificial taste of lime in there/ Honestly, I'd rather squeeze lime into Grasshopper and drink it. I guess it is somewhat refreshing and easy drinking, but I don't think it worth to be a separate "type of beer". I don't think I'll buy this again. And I'd rather see Big Rock brewing tripel or DIPA..

1.9/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured with barely any head that dissipated almost immediately; overly carbonated; a bright, clear yellow color. No lacing. Smell was of corn and lime... not good. Very thin on the palate, with lots of carbonation, and a gross finish of lime. And the taste, of course... lime. Pretty horrible... sure, it's a cold beer on a hot day, but it just tastes like lime-flavored soda water or something. I guess it's great for people who don't like beer... but really bad for people that do.

355 ml can (as pictured).
I tried Bud Light Lime over a year ago in the States..now the BLL craze has finally hit Alberta/Canada. Should have known eveyone would be on the bandwagon.
Pours a thin pale straw color, I think this is even lighter than Bud Light. White foam that goes up then down. Smell has a fresh lime aroma, not as strong or artificial as I was expecting. Taste is as expected, a light lager, slightly grainy, with lime. Mouthfeel is light and fizzy, body is light and watery.
This is kind of a hard one to review, fitting in the "it is what it is" category. It is a light lager, with lime, meant to be light (color and body) - do you mark it down for not being big and bold? It is meant to fill a niche market, which it does.

2.26/5  rDev -7.8%

Well, I've seen this around lately, in 12 packs only, and there's no way in hell I'm buying 12 of these (potential downside just too high), I don't disrespect my friends that much. Lo and behold, after a late movie on Whyte Ave, the chosen post-show dissection watering hole has this on tap. Although I couldn't tell at first, as the Alley Kat taps were distracting me, and all I could see was the word "LIME" shouting out from a tap down the bar. Upon verification that it wasn't Bud Light's 'version', I snapped up a pint. My girlfriend got a Blanche de Chambly - no, Mr. Waiter, sir, I'm just missing my metaphorical pants...this has been happening a lot lately - a side effect of Beer Advocacy...

Anyways, this pint appears a very, very pale golden colour, with lots of rising bubbles, like cider, with a wisp of thin soapy white head, and a smidgen of lace. It smells of very faint white cracker malt, and light candy lime flavouring. The taste at first, is, really, nothing. Zip. Until my senses register what I'm tasting - and I get some slightly sour lime citrus Fruit Loops! There's a barely detectable underlying cereal malt character, to maintain that tenuous connection to beer. The carbonation is too high, providing a bit of a burn, the body is thin enough to appear practically non-existent, and it finishes with more of that zany fake-lime Toucan Sam cereal essence. This is obviously not hard to drink, albeit for insufficient reasons, but would probably work on a hot summer afternoon; however, I imagine that there'll still be lots on the shelves when those days run short.

I'm sure there's a valid marketing decision behind this latest offering from Big Rock, but also hope that they didn't hurt themselves on the way from the boardroom to the bandwagon. C'mon guys, you're using up your nine lives more quickly than I would have ever imagined back in the McNally's/Chinook/Trad heyday.

Am I the first person to review this stuff? Sigh.... So the lime beer craze has hit Alberta now, although it's curious how almost no one remembers when Labatt came out with a lime lager a decade ago that then fizzled into obscurity. Have we finally evolved our tastebuds to be able to appreciate such a flavour profile, or is this simply a brand new low? Philosophical queries aside, let's check it out.

Pours out a transparent straw colour, fizzy white head that disappears once it settles.

A bit of bready, grainy malt at first in the aroma, but after a short while it predominantly becomes all lime citrus zest. Refreshing, but nothing really enticing all the same.

Do I win a prize if I guess this is just Big Rock Light with an infusion of lime? Or if I simply point it out? So then, this tastes like Big Rock Light with a small infusion of lime, no more, no less. Mild bready malt at first, mild zing of lime on the finish to replace the hops.

Mouthfeel is light and spritzy, it suits the style, but some extra body wouldn't hurt it either.

It's okay for what it is, but I won't spend any more money on this, especially since I've made a better lime cerveza myself years ago. Nothing original or noteworthy here. In my personal opinion it's time for Big Rock to quit goofing around with mediocre fad beers and bring back Magpie (I promise to buy a 6 pack at least every two days!) or come out with something of a higher calibre and quality, and get back their street cred again and the higher esteem they once held. Unless it's the shareholders themselves who are buying up this sort of stuff, then it's a win-win situation, but I won't support it.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last