Hops Infusion | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Hops InfusionHops Infusion

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
weyerbacher.com

Style: American IPA

Made with seven hop varieties, this deep copper-orange IPA is loaded with juicy hop notes of pine, lemon zest, and a layer of pink grapefruit and a strong foundation of toasted caramel malts underneath it all give this beer a complexity that's unparalleled.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

firstprev| 801-825 | 826-850 | 851-875  | next → last
3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer poured a dark gold color and formed a white head that disapated leaving trace lace on the sides. A small amount of carbonation was present. The aroma was heavy of hops and also present was some malt and caramel. the flavor was of malt and hops with a touch of citrus. The finish was a bit on the bitter side, maybe reflecting the heavy use of hops in this beer.

2.98/5  rDev -18.1%

Now, I'm as much of a hophead as the next guy, but this seems a bit reckless and over the top. Certainly not subtle. There's a difference between the artful use of hops, even in mass quantities, and the willy-nilly tossing together of seven (yes, seven) different hop varieties. I imagine only a few of those varieties actually complement each other, so what you end up with is a whole lot of bitter, with no balance whatsoever (IMHO). And with all the hops floating around in there, there is practically no malt aspect to this beer. But then again, with a name like "Hops Infusion," why am I complaining about the malt? Don't get me wrong -- I like Weyerbacher, and I'm mildly amused by this beer. It just seems a bit, well, gimmicky.

Cloudy light-orange. Strong hops aroma, of course. Thin but resilient head. Lacing is slight but lingers.

Sheesh! Very, very hoppy taste. Coppery and bitter. Sour. Not enough malt backbone to stand up to the hops.

This takes getting used to. At first, one is put off. Then, you sense the hops, and only the hops, and you begin to enjoy the hops in their pureness. This is a beer that you sip.

Not the kind of beer that I would come back to often, but certainly one that I am glad to have tried. This is truly a hops exploration.

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

A creamy colored Godzilla sized head forms from a light pour. Head is stable and rests on top a body thats copper colored with a burnt orange hue. Color is similiar to Blue Moon, just a little darker. Aroma is an orgy of hops. Bitter, floral, and spicy aromas overwhelm the senses. Flavor is extremely well balanced for the supposed amount of hops they use in this brew. Flavors from grapefruit to sour candy to butterscotch-like? are noticeable in this brew. There are notes of gentle Caaz hops and powerful Cascade and everything in between. With that in mind I can see why the Bro's didnt list this as an IPA. It may rough your taste buds up but it doesn't kick their ass like so many hopped up beers do. Fairly drinkable if you're up to the challenge. Otherwise its a fight your palate may lose in the long run.

3.03/5  rDev -16.8%

Presentation: 12oz. amber bottle. No freshness dating. Label states "7 types of hops" and "4X more hops than our IPA". Hmmm....

Appearance: Poured a hazy honey color. Small, creamy head dies to a tiny layer atop the beer. Patchy lacing of the glass.

Smell: Nice aroma. Floral, spicy, and citrus all combine well.

Taste: Me OldFrothingSlosh. Me hophead. That being said, I certainly expected more of a kick from the supposed quadrupling of the hops (which begs the question of what is the IBU of their "regular" IPA?). This is not the case. While there may be vast quantities of hops in this beer, together they do not offer a satisfying flavor. I just couldn't pick out any defining taste in this beer. Frustrating indeed, as I am one who loves the hop. And was excited to try this. Other than the hodge-podge of hoppy flavors battling it out on my tongue, I didn't taste any truly noticeable malty sweetness. All hops.

Mouthfeel: Average. Crisp and well-carbonated.

Drinkability: The very dry and crisp finish, with minimal aftertaste still didn't make this a "I must have another drink" beer. An "earthy" aftertaste was a turn-off.

3.35/5  rDev -8%

A golden pour with a mediocre little white head on top that dies quickly to a lace. With so much talk about hops on the label, I was expecting this brew to jump on me with intensity. I guess I acted too soon. The aroma had a nice spicy hop aroma that was a very cool blend of a few, but it was not really leaping out of the glass.

This was not a bad brew, but witth (4X the hops of their IPA), there must be no hops in their IPA. It had very nice blends of hops in the flavor to make it spicy, but I would not say it was loaded. It was good, but it was just a little dull. The body was medium to light, and the carbonation was just right. It was very drinkable.

3.3/5  rDev -9.3%

I really have to say this was an ehh beer. Nice body like honey, nice orangery light brown, bit of cloudiness. The head was nice, lasting and a bit sticky. The aroma was big hops and a little malt. The flavor has a nice hop profile, but the malt is really thin and weak underneath it. Makes what could be a really nice beer shed a few points.

3.36/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured the color of dark honey and crystal clear. The head quickly disappeared leaving a thin layer of extra-fine bubbles. As the name had indicated, this was a hoppy beer. In the nose there was both raw and floral hops with a bit of citrus fruit and some lightly toasted malt. That was pretty much what was going on in the taste of the beer as well. The bitterness was mouth watering and rind-like. It was probably close to what chewing on a lime peel would be like. Despite the hopping, there was a constant toasted malt flavor, but surprisingly, not much sweetness. The beer felt like most others in my mouth, not quite viscous with big bubbles.

Not a bad beer at all, but not as good as I would have hoped from the guys at Weyerbacher. My biggest complaint was the rindy-funk aftertaste that has got to be related to hops sine I find it overpowering in some of River Horse’s hoppier brews, too.

3.57/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer pours a clear copper color into the glass. The head is white and foamy, it lasted somewhat. There was lace present but not the whole way to the finish. The aroma was HOPS, and some citrus. The taste was hoppy but not too overly done. I did taste some malt which I believe calmed the hops down a little. Slightly sweet at the end which caught me off guard. This is a good beer for all those who enjoy the hop experience.

3.86/5  rDev +6%

Whew! You can just sit and smell this beer for hours and hours.

Strong, pine-sap hop nose follows in on the taste, though not as strong as you might expect. I'm totally lost on the "7 types of hops" (sounds like some sort of brewery purchasing agent's investment club to me). The "4X more hops than our IPA" is also misleading, since this really makes you expect to get knocked flat on your ass with hops. But it doesn't. I had to go re-read Charlie Pap's sage advice about hop isomerization after scrathcing my head over the missed expectation.

However, this beer is just SSSsssswimming with hop flavor...which I guess is the whole point. Rather than just, "Oh yeah, there's hops in there, too," Hops Infusion makes a point of deliberating as much loving, meticulous thought to the hops as is commonly obsessed over the grain bill in beer.

In my mind, Hops Infusion succeeds handily in bringing hop recipes to the forefront and introducing me to an entirely new way to appreciate beer.

Yum!

Oh Yeah. The atomic hop proton with swirling electrons label is a kick.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

WARNING: I am a hophead. Bought direct at the brewery. A clear, bright copper body, topped by a frothy head of nooks and crannies, which settles down into a nice rough topper with some beautiful lace. Nose is a hop cornucopia, florals and citrics. Taste show more balance, with some good malt laying down some cover for the hop assault. Take a mouthful, and swallow in a few sips. The malt goes first, and each sip leaves more and more hop bite. Had this at a Stoudt's Microfest shortly after its introduction, and fell in love. Since then, it has only improved: more clarity, more malt presence, more consistency, and more stability. It's not HopDevil, but its not a bad thing to be the #2 highly hopped ale in PA.

4.22/5  rDev +15.9%

Slightly cloudy amber color, the head is "prodigious", frothy, the lace is in sheets. Nose is floral, sweet, hints of malt, a "Hop heads dream". Front is sweet, the top is light, the finish is strikingly acidic, dry, with mountains of hop spicyness, the aftertaste, lingers long and lovingly to your palate. Ranks #350 on my current 1000 beer masterlist.

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%

I think I may have gotten some that was sitting on the shelf for over a year since it was nothing like any of the other reviews. I could only pour about a quarter of the bottle at a time since the head pillowed up high - at least 3 inches above the Chimay goblet before it collapsed and spilled over the sides. Appearance was yellowish - orangey and cloudy even though all the yeast was impacted on the bottom of the bottle and did not drip into the glass. The head settled down to about 2 inches that lasted all the way to the bottom and was very thick - I was making a sculpture with a fork it was so thick. I could only detect faint aromas of hop with some metallic aromas. The taste was very mature with the alcohol (must have gained alcohol content in the bottle) giving it a fruity characteristic. Hops was not overpowering due to mellowing with age. Fishished sweet and helped to balance the dryness of the hops. This was very similar to the flavor of Orval - just not as dry. Very interesting and tasty indeed.

3.35/5  rDev -8%

No question that this beer is intended to assault the senses with hops. I'm all for that in most cases, however this brew doesn't offer much else to balance the equation. The bitterness is predominate, out weighing the hop flavor and the barely discernible malt. I certainly wouldn't turn this down if offerred but probably won't go back.

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%

Slightly hazed fiery orange body. The cream colored head is dense and compact. Lace comes in sporadic web like designs. Aroma is a big blend of citrus, grass and pine. Smells a lot like some of my own multiple hop homebrews...which is a compliment. I notice hops AND malt, believe it or not, upon first tasting. The malt provides quite a bit of body to this beer and a substantial backbone for the myriad of hops to do their stuff. And do they do. Lots of complexity in this one. From juicy citrus to sharp pine needles. From bong resin to grassy dry hop notes. The bitterness is very clean in this one and alcohol barley noticeable. Very solid.

Original Review on 6-27-02 (4,4,4,4,4)

This beer is a glowing orange. (The first beer that I categorized outright as orange.) Nice head with some great cling. Nice little lace patterns develop as I drink. Excellent aroma. Grapefruit, orange rind and a pungent aroma. Maybe a little smoke too. The bottle says 7 types of hops are used and I can believe it. The hop attributes are many. Difficult to pick them all out. There's a definite grapefruit character. Also pine and citrus. A nice bitterness accompanies all of that. The mouthfeel on this Weyerbacher is nice. Smooth. Carbonation is in check. The malt is there, but maybe a little more could be used for such a hopload. If you're not a hophead as I, you may turn your head at this brew. It's nearing even my Bighuge limits of hop use. But for me, this beer tastes great.

Thanks to Davo for the sample. My first solid try from Weyerbacher.

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

In so much as an IPA goes, this is a good one. Although there may be better in the state of Pennsylvania (Appalachian Brewing Company and Victory come to mind) when it comes to IPA's, this one is solud from first sip to the finish. Very drinkable...but watch out, the hops will sneak up on you...

3.81/5  rDev +4.7%

Smells like a bag of mixed hop pellets. This beer is dry hopped to an insane extreme. Not overly bitter, but it still has a long hop finish. The beer is not balanced, but it is everything that it promises.

I've had mixed results with this beer over three different six packs. There must have been a dreadful mistake with one batch, which was terribly over-carbonated. That batch was almost undrinkable for the foam and CO2. With the exception of those bottles, I'd recommend this beer for any hophead.

3.59/5  rDev -1.4%

Very, Very carbonated bottle bursts open and be careful pouring. Pale orange haze to the brew. Huge obnoxious head. Big hoppy nose with hints of sweetness. Very hoppy taste, but it lacks the malt balence. I do love hops so its errors are to my taste. It will not be as drinkable to others.

PS.. have I said it is over carbonated (bottle conditioned)

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a nice copper color, with a very huge head, no matter how you pour it. Heavy carbanation though, they needs to knock it down a notch and bump up the malt character a bit.Overall not bad though. Not bad at all, tastes like soda a bit though, they need to fine tune a bit.

3.41/5  rDev -6.3%

Presentation: 12 oz brown longneck bottle, no freshness date to be found. States that this beer has 4 times the amount of hops as their IPA, seven types of hops are used also. On the label is a picture of a hop cone with electrons whirling around it.

Appearance: Hazy sunrise orange hue, lack of clarity is most likely due to the massive use of hops. Thick pillowy white head forms, a by product of the hops ... good head retention.

Smell: Smells somewhere between fresh picked hop cones and hops that have been steeped like tea. Hop leaf, citrus and earthy within. Hop oils are so pungently sweet with undertones of raw cane sugar syrup. A hidden fruity ester or two with some biscuity malt shows through the hops for a very brief moment.

Taste: Egats! Hops are imploding over taste buds! Mellow medium body, very smooth on the tongue with a lower level of carbonation. Hops, hops and hops ... they go from juicy fruit and citric rind to herbal and earthy with flowery flavour throughout. Hop oil is sweet and overly expressive, tastes of fresh hop tea. Malt is nearly nonexistent other than the mouth feel, they are pretty much masked by the hop's clout. Some fruit esters punch a small hole into the flavour threshold, a very small hole that is. Bitterness is up there but this is more of a hop flavour ale than an overly bitter ale. Complexity of the hops makes the mind go a tad towards madness. This beer never real has an end and has an everlasting finish, it just keeps lingering with hops.

Notes: Well, well, well aren't we the little hop bastard of the bunch, delicate but strong. Hop addicts will get a soothing fix of this one, only ballsy beer drinkers should attempt to drink Hop Infusion.

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%

I was pleased with my purchase - & in bureaucratic Pennsylvania, you have to buy a whole case, not always knowing what you'll be getting! I won't run out and buy another case as soon as this one is finished, but down the road...? A decent beer.

Unfortunately I was disappointed in this one. It had a nice aroma and taste, beautiful color, but I still found it lacking, just couldn't put my taste buds on it, the flavor seemed to disapate from my tonque too soon, though it was still drinkable, if someone offered my one, yes ... would I go out of my way again to purchase it, no.

firstprev| 801-825 | 826-850 | 851-875  | next → last
Hops Infusion from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.