Blithering Idiot | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

good

Style: English Barleywine

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2001

Ratings: 2,187 |  Reviews: 909
4.14/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A : deep mahogany to wine red. Clear

S: dark fruit. Caramel. Sweet plum.

T: sweet fruit. Brown sugar. Candied orange. Rum.

F: soft but crisp

O: quite good. Nice sweetness. Not much heat. Not cloying.

3.79/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.46/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this the other night, so this is not be a fully comprehensive review - which I also blame the ridiculous ABV.

I'm still getting used to the style, and have yet to have a barleywine I've truly loved. Well, up to yesterday that is. This is a marvelously nuanced barley wine, with just enough of malt sweetness to counteract the in an other beer extreme bitterness. A+.

3.99/5  rDev +8.1%

12 oz bottle
Bottled on 5/26/15
Best before 5/26/20

Purchased at the brewery and cellared for about a year. Ruby brown with a small off-white head. Sweet caramel aroma, fig, raisin, brown sugar. No hops. A little alcohol heat in the flavor, but mainly a tame and straightforward English barleywine. Full bodied, smooth, and warming.

Overall, I'll shell out the couple of extra bucks any day for it's barrel aged cousin Insanity. The difference between the two is quite striking.

4.57/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

WEYERBACHER BLITHERING IDIOT BARLEYWINE 8/27/16

Accidental purchase thanks to an inconsiderate blithering idiot who unbeknownst to me had replaced two bottles in my Insanity fourpack with this before I bought it.

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Smith English tulip.

a: Nearly clear copper with a four inch thick offwhite head which receded slowly to a thick, dense, even foam.

s: Caramel malt and dark ripe fruit such as plum. Aroma is evident from first pour.

t; Follows the nose along with a significant throat burn from the high ABV. Finish is similar with evident alcohol.

m: Full, oily smooth, some carbonation tingle.

o: A powerful barleywine, high octane all the way. Might even prefer this BBA-less version over Insanity, since it seems to have a smoother body, and my rating ended up being significantly higher than the 4.32 I gave Insanity. Considering that, I should probably thank the blithering idiot who pulled that switcheroo.

4.26/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have watched Weyerbacher from afar and finally had an opportunity top pick up one of their offerings - a very good choice as it turned out...

There was a head but it dissipated as quickly as it appeared and there was no lacing to speak of. I will say, the brew has an appealing reddish hue with highlights of yellow, very nice. The smell was distinctly honey to me, not sure why, but definitely honey. The beer was so smooth, only lightly carbonated (the way I like it) but still with an astringent bite on the tongue - not oppressive, but certainly there and not something to be ignored. The taste was bold, a definite tang to the the 11% ABV, but not so much it was distracting or taking away from the overall experience. (I've had 10%s that were so overpowering it just took away the enjoyment and flavor of the beer, but not here). A very good brew, my first barely wine and I'll be looking for others in the future.

3.96/5  rDev +7.3%

3.44/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark ruby with a 1 finger head on agressive pour that quickly goes to nothing. Aroma is of caramel, Applejacks cereal, red grapes, plum. Taste, more darker fruits, tootsie roll, bourbon/alcohol. Lots more caramel too. Mouthfeel, just holding the liquid in your mouth you can feel it bubble like a soda. Very agressive. Overall, okay barley wine, okay beer.

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.19/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.99/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.28/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

So excited that they named a beer after my friend Nate, I decided to grab one and try it out:
L - Dark Amber, kind of like the apple cider Nate drinks instead of real man beer
S - Boozy, Dark fruit, brown sugar, quite unlike that fine piece of brown sugar that I was supposed to hook up with, but Nate ruined because he was a terrible wingman
T + F - Definitely taste the alcohol, thick fig, date, coffee and brown sugar flavors, but imagine these items covered in liquor, like Nate is after he strikes out at the bar and falls to the floor in our shared living room.
O - Hate Nate. Blithering Idiot though is a complex beer with great taste, unlike Nate.

4.54/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.39/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Drinkable but not great

3.89/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.68/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

For me it's a hard beer to review because I'm not a huge fan of very malt forward beers, especially not in the summer. My wife bought me the beer under the premise that it was named after me (in fairness I'd bought her a Sea Hag for the same reason). I would say as far as I can tell it was very well executed Barleywine, I just don't like the style much. Fantastic packaging though and that counts for something. Rather heavy with a bit too much after taste for me, especially on a warm summer night.

3.65/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.49/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.32/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Have never had a barley wine before and I decided this was the day. That is a strong beer and much unlike anything I have had in the past. It looked real nice poured into a glass but the taste is not one I am used to. This is not something to chug after you mow the lawn!!!! This is something to be sipped slowly.

Will try again!

Blithering Idiot from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.