Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Winter Ale | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Winter AleWinter Ale
3.44/5
Okay
Winter AleWinter Ale

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
weyerbacher.com

Style: English Brown Ale

This beer is not spiced.

Added by Todd on 09-24-2001

4.77/5  rDev +38.7%

Poured a deep red amber with very little head
Very light lacing
Rich chocolate malt smell with a slight spicy raisin
Light carbonation that ended perfect in my eyes
Tastes of chocolate malts with very light hints of various spices
Overall I think it's worth a try along with your other Winter Ales

4.59/5  rDev +33.4%

4.59/5  rDev +33.4%

Poured this beer from a bottle into a chilled pint glass. Half inch head, which dissipated fairly quickly. Very nice coppery/brown color. A bit of caramel/nut aroma. No overtly strong spice flavors typically found in a winter ale. Nice clean, dry finish. I personally found this to be one of the nicest 'brown ales' I've had, though it is not specifically a brown ale. Very enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

12oz bottle, served in a pint glass.

A - clear, deep brown color with a good sized tan head that went to a layer, leaving good sticky lacing on the glass.

S - roasted malt and spice aroma.

T - very good tasting brew, malt and spices blended well together.

M - medium bodied with light carbonation.

D - goes down smooth and easy.

Final Note: This is one of my favorite Winter Ales. I highly recommend trying this brew before Spring.

4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

Goods overall tasting winter beer

4.42/5  rDev +28.5%

Pours a respectable one inch tan head over a dark but translucent body. Head recedes rather rapidly leaving a maze of lace. Strong aromas of biscuity malt. Tastes of soft biscuit malt with an underlying caramel sweetness. Faint traces of vinous fruit, smoke and chocolate. Low level hops start to balance things out. Notable British saltiness. Medium to full bodied with low carbonation. Soft mouthfeel with a clean, drying finish.

Malt bomb! This beer was a nice surprise, but then again I'm a malt-head. Big yet complex malt presence dominates, but is kept in check by minimal hopping--a tad too minimal. Very soft mouthfeel helps this slide right down. Devotees of Fat Tire will appreciate the toasty character of this warmer.

4.42/5  rDev +28.5%

Happy wintertime, BA. This will be my first winter warmer ever (at least to my knowledge), so forgive me for not knowing much about what to expect from the style.

It's certainly a nice, deep mahogany color. A half finger of light tan head gives way to an interesting surface-covering with lots of tiny bubbles clumped together.

The smell is subtle, but fills the air around my pint glass. Definitely present are chocolatey malts and a very enticing woody, roasting nut aroma. Reminiscent of a porter, I'd say.

The taste is very interesting! Surprisingly complex. At first, there is a sweetness about the taste which is just a little lighter than the malts you might find in a heavier porter or stout. Malty, but fresh and not cloyingly sweet. The finish is a little bit drying, and this works very well with the lightly carbonated feel to keep the beer very refreshing. Weyerbacher really found a way to wed refreshing crispness with smooth sweetness. But wait, that's not all! Maybe it's just me, but at the very finish, a hint of nuttiness comes out.

A very interesting beer. Well done! I think I'll have to revisit this one many times before the winter goes away.

4.42/5  rDev +28.5%

Pours into a pint glass a deep dark brown with a tan head. It's one finger high and it's got a nice array of small and medium sized bubbles in it.

Nose is sweet, caramelly, bready, nutty goodness.
Pretty much exactly like a heavy English Brown Ale.

Taste follows as above, exept that it seems a little lighter on the palace than the nose would suggest. But pretty much just tastes like an English Brown.

I was really surprised at how good this beer was.
But perhaps even more surprised at how well this goes on a hot summer day after a long days work. After having this now I could'nt imagine it being better in the winter.

4.4/5  rDev +27.9%

This is a dark, malty ale not quite as rich as a porter but with a smooth roasty flavor with a hint of smoke.

4.37/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Draught poured into a standard pint glass:

Appearance: This is a lustrous, dark, almost opaque beer with a one-finger off-white head that quickly dissipates into fine lacing along the rim of the glass.

Smell: Very faint berry scent, almost imperceptible.

Taste: Mild citrus with a slight carbonated bite to it on the end.

Mouthfell: Light to medium body, moderate carbonation, tickling the tongue very slightly. not bad.

Overall: This is a pretty solid winter ale, and I liked the dark lustrous nature of it, as well as the pleasing, but not overpowering, berry flavors. It settled well on the tongue, and I would definitely get it again, especially on tap.

4.3/5  rDev +25%

very drinkable winter ale, more like a watery stout but it has
much going for it. Some smoke swirls around the taste buds.
I've read so many people think they taste plums, minced meat,
licorice, raisons, whatever its earthy- woods in the winter, complex yet
very drinkable, some metallic in there but really very subtle. Its
fun samplings these seasonals, so much goes in to these brews
and I'll be there to taste them. Nice offering from the people at
Weyerbacher.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

Pours brown , settles in the glass deep brown with touches of ruby. Left a one inch off-white head that receded almost immediately. Left a minimal amount of lacing.

Smells caramel and spice. I see the disclaimer here, I just don't really believe it.

Taste of barley, and well roasted caramel malts. Simple and to the point that's about all it is. And I am actually pleased, reminds me of summer days at a campfire roasting marshmallows, eating the marshmallow I would char to black at least once every time I roasted them.

I could drink this all day, medium light bodied, light carbonation.

I am extremely pleased, glad I chose this over another of Weyerbacher's barleywines for the evening.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

Look: Pours a medium brown color with a big fluffy head.

Smell: Smell of roasty malts, coffee, caramel, bread, and some spices. The more I drink it, the more caramel becomes dominant in the aroma.

Taste: Roasted malts, caramel, cinnamon. It just has a very roasted flavor.

Feel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Overall: I didn't realize this was a brown ale until I poured it. The dark color took me by surprise. I like brown ale's. It has very good overall flavors and aroma's. above average I'd say. Good beer. I'd buy again.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

Winter Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.