Quad | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

QuadQuad

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
weyerbacher.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by Todd on 10-17-2001

Ratings: 1,147 |  Reviews: 553
3.7/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From 12oz into snifter. Haven't had a quad in a while. This one's been kicking around in my closet for a few months.

A- A nice, muted khaki brown with a nice eggshell white head. An impressive cascade of foam through the pour... lighter than most quads I've seen but still very nice.

S- Fruity. Peach, mellon rind, grapes (white)... very fruity. Not too much else behind it, and not a hint of the 11.8% ABV. Much lighter than I expected.

T- Wow. What was lacking in the nose comes through in the taste. Very fruity, mildly alcoholic (in a good way). Pretty complex. Honeysuckle, mild coriander, faint raspberry, and a mild puckering tartness. Hmm. Very complex, not sure if all the flavors work together, but the net value is better rather than worse.

M- Pretty good. Alcohol is there, but not in any meaningful way... feels a few shades lighter than the almost 12% listed.

D- Moderate. I'll buy more of this, save it for a rainy day. Not an everyday or once-a-week sipper, I'd be happy with once a month on this one. Still, pretty tasty, and by all means a solid effort. Nothing on the Belgian quads, but a solid stateside effort.

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, I'm really impressed by this stuff, I expected a run of the mill quad, but this is so much different from what im used to. Poured a nice orange color instead of the usual dark brown that i see so much in the style. Smelled mainly of plums brown sugar and apricots. It tastes basically like a plum and honey sandwich on some oat bread. However it leaves too much of a bready aftertaste for my liking. Mouthfeel is very nice, slightly syrupy yet creamy pleasantly warming at the end. Highly drinkable, I might be able to do the entire 4 pack but i wouldnt want to its too nice to do that.

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Hazy, ruby-brown body atop which floats a 3/4" head of dense white foam; average retention and minimal lace. Not as dark as I was expecting, but not a bad looking beer. Interesting color.

S: Rich and tasty - lots of warm, ripe fruit up front, with just a hint of spicy yeastiness behind that, followed up with some smoothly warming alcohol (but not as much as I was expecting at almost 12%). Great, complex aroma.

T: Follows the smell pretty closely, with the fruit and spice fighting it out for dominance over the warm alcoholic background. Just as expected.

M: A little thinner than I expected, and the carbonation seems to have taken a vacation after the initial pour. A little disappointing on this front.

D: In a word, spectacular for the astronomical ABV. Smooth, rich, and just enough bite on the finish to keep it from being at all cloying.

Notes: I wasn't sure what to expect from this beer: on the one hand, I love quads and I've never been disappointed by Weyerbacher; on the other, this beer's reviews were mediocre, and it looked disturbingly insubstantial in the bottle. All my fears were put to rest, though, with the rush of delicious quad aroma that filled the room as soon as I poured - better than I could have hoped. No, I wouldn't take this beer over a St. Bernardus ABT 12 or a Rochefort 10, but for the price it may well become my go-to quad.

Cheers!

3.57/5  rDev -6.5%

It was a good night! I pulled out this 22oz. Weyerbacher Quad I had been cellaring for 2 yrs to pair it off with a grilled rib-eye and some steamed broccoli. A good choice if I do say so myself.

Poured into a Weyerbacher Tulip glass to find a decent one-and-a-half finger width head of champagne look that quickly receded to a thin ring around the outside of the glass. Bubbles continued to file their way to the top along the edge of the glass. The fluid seemed lighter than I would have expected for a Quad (Belgian Strong Dark Ale). It was a dark, dull gold color with a slight orangey hue. Fairly clear.

Smell is very nice. Tons of Belgian candy sweetness with hints of figs, raisins, and orange zest. Some nice notes of herbs and flowers are present as well.

Taste is similar to the smell with a rich Belgian malty backbone at the forefront giving way to a bitter alcohol finish that dries up in the mouth. Again, there are notes of fermented dark fruits, herbs, and a slight citrus zest. The finish is rather bothersome as the alochol really burns through to the point that I feel my nose hairs tingling. I am also detecting a slight hint of diacetyl which could be from improper storage.

MF: I like the medium-low carbonation on this one as it allows the malt to shine through. Very-well balanced.

Drinkability: To be honest...not great. The alcohol burn gets old after a few drinks as I feel like I am inhaling Vicks vapo-rub in the finish. Maybe a fresh one would be different.

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle purchased from Green's on Buford in Atlanta.

Pours a clear orange-brown color with a one-finger light tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of brown sugar, sweet malts, and booze-soaked medium fruits. Mild amounts of alcohol turn a bit larger as the beer warms.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though better integrated. Sweet malts, dark Belgian candi sugar, and hints of spices all hit the palate at about the same time. Midway through the sip the flavors sweeten a bit and medium fruit flavors make an appearance the malt flavors reassert themselves before a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a solid thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing the bottle and could have another.

Overall this smelled a bit boozier than I was expecting until I saw the 11.8% ABV. The flavor masks the alcohol very well but the beer as a whole is missing a certain heft to push it into the next tier. Still, it's worth a shot.

2.15/5  rDev -43.7%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a weird tea color with a little white head or carbonation, disappointing look.

The aroma is very quadish with chocolate and raisins dominating.

The taste is very strange not good at all. Weird notes of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is poor and its not drinkable to me.

Im tasting this with an R10 so maybe its skewing the results, but not good in general.

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%

Paid $2.99 for a 12oz bottle from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, WI. Poured into my Chimay Chalice to review. My guess is it was bottled around a year ago as it has been sitting around for a little while now.

Yields a small, half inch, white and fizzy head after an aggressive pour which dissipates quickly leaving little retention. Dark amber in color and almost no lacing.

Smells very sweet of candied fig and raisin. I've never had Belgian candy, but this aroma is what I'm envisioning it would bring to my senses. Lacks the subtly of some of the more traditional Belgian Quads. Other fruits such as red grape, banana and melon also come into play as well as hints of molasses. The sweetness completely masks the alcohol in this 11.8% beast.

The taste is very sweet with a medley of the above mentioned fruits in addition to some mild Belgian spice. Here comes that warming alcohol adding somewhat of a rummy twist.

Mouth is damn near full body with minimal carbonation. A great attempt at creating a truly velvety feel; it is so close but missing something that the great monks have somehow figured over the years. Lasting sweet candied fruit taste.

A great beer for the price and I'd drink this on a regular basis if it was distributed in my area to save my pocketbook from the trials of Rochefort 8 and Abt. 12 which seem to be in quite a heavy rotation in my fridge.

4.04/5  rDev +5.8%

this one pours a dark, murky brown with nearly no head and zero to no rising bubbles.

smells of dark fruit and bubble gum, from the belgian yeast. yes. the alcohol is very very present. but i mean. its fn 12 percent.

give this one 20 mins to sit in a tulip or snifter and its opens up amazingly. becomes very complex. the bubblegum/candy flavors are a bit over exaggerated but that's typical of domestic replications of belgians. too sweet to have more than one of but a great night capper.

be careful! this one will put you down for the count if your careless.

3.22/5  rDev -15.7%

Big whiff of alcohol out of this, along with some apple. Very cloudy with weak head. Lots of booze and a light apple backing with tropical fruit flavour. Very warming and strong. Finish is surprisingly mild, ending in a lightly bitter anise flavour. Up front, big, complex booze, tropical fruitiness and apple/pear. I think the alcohol in this is taking the forefront a bit too much. Moderate body with some heft and lowish carbonation. Definitely a sipper a touch too boozy for my taste.

3.46/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Year old bottle from my girlfriends brother. My first quad, my first weyerbacher.

Poured a deep, deep golden brown with no head.

Smelled bitter sweet.

Tasted of apples, brown sugar, some bananas, and definetely golden raisins.

You could tell this was a high abv brew that completely kicks your ass; I could only drink one.

I enjoyed it but I think ill stick to tripels or dubbels.

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured into a tulip glass

A-Cloudy orangish / brown almost rust color, almost no lacing

S-Bubble gum, sugar, fruit

T-Boozy,sweet, some burn on the way down

M-slick, slight carbonation

D-This is a big beer with a big ABV so I would have to stop at two.

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Pours a rich hazy mahogany color that produces a little billowy white head that dissipates slowly leaving decent lacing

S: AWESOME nose! Alcohol is upfront, bubblegum, spices, yeast, WINTERGREEN, and some sugars. A slight fruit note is available as well.

T: Very similar to the nose. Candy, wintergreen, bubblegum, spices, alcohol, and yeast to finish. A little vanilla and banana to finish. I must say, the alcohol is a little intense and upfront, but this brew is still very good.

MF/D: Nice and chewy for a quad. Even a bigger body than a Westy 12. Very drinkable (sipper) and pleasant. Extremely well done and I am looking forward to another.

Weyerbacher is a seriously underrated brewery...I will say that this brew is a little sweet and one dimensional, however it is still delicious.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a seemingly thin, translucent light amber. Thin head with quick dissipation. Looks kind of dead to me, but fortunately doesn't stay that way. Nose is full of booze (like a booze blast, not just alcoholic) backed with some darkish malt. Seems like a sweet boozey bomb. Taste is just that. Very boozey in a good way, warming as it goes down like a scotch. It's kind of a two trick pony, warming alcohol and sweet fruity malt. No hops to speak of. For me, those two tricks work very well. Kind of thin in the mouth for a big supposedly complex quad, not very coating, and it can be a tough drink because it is so boozey. It works for me, but may not for everyone.

3.72/5  rDev -2.6%

Bomber purchased 2 years ago this month.
11.8% ABV

A- A burnt orange liquid with quite a few floaters. The white head settles to a pretty nice covering. For the style, this looks a little different, but it will do.

S- Cherries mostly, but I pick up some other fruits as well. There is a nice caramel and toffee malt backbone. It smells surprisingly tart, but is very aromatic and enjoyable.

T- Not quite as tart as the aroma led me to believe. Instead, there is a nice candy sweetness with a lot of fruit flavors. There is a nice cotton candy aspect that goes nicely with the caramel and toffee flavors. The alcohol is noticeable, which is expected for the ABV, but it is not overly harsh. I pick up a bit of an almond flavor at the tail end.

M- Pretty carbonated, but about on par for the style. The alcohol is a bit numbing and there is a slight astringent quality to it.

D- This goes down pretty nicely for the ABV, albeit it is quite a sipper. I could see this aging for another year or two before it hits its peak. What a beast.

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

A cellar beer. I'm getting married in a week, so I'm cracking a bunch of stuff I've had for a while.

12 oz. bottle into a wine glass, circa 2004, since there's no brewery date and I forgot to mark it, but I know it was that year.

Appearance: Ruby red in color, not much carbonation, but decent thick white lacing around the glass sides. And of course it gains some beautiful haziness if you do in fact swirl and pour the yeast, which I like to do with almost every beer, as the level gets to the bottom.

Smell: Ripe strawberries, some oaky wood characteristics, toffee, candied caramel, and some nice mellow chocolate cake aromas. A big whiff of alcohol is noticeable after all these years, and I wish it wasn't there, because I feel the complexity would come out even better. That said, it doesn't detract too much from what it has to offer.

Taste: The candied fruit presence has done some great things here. Cherries and some sour candied strawberry flavors. A bit of oak and toffee barrel-esque flavors. Lingering lighter caramel and chocolate, like melted candies. Plus some black licorice and oddly intriguing pencil shaving-type funk and wood come in. Everything has mellowed out very nicely, with the front-end candied fruit flavors giving way to the toffee, chocolate, and caramel creaminess. Hardly any alcohol is evident, and at this point most wouldn't think this was around 10%.

Mouthfeel: A good solid and heavy creaminess has been gained with the yeast and all the years in the bottle. Full and coating yet not too much at all, which bumps this up to a 4.5 to me, because it's hard to see how this is the case. Again, it must be the 5 years the bottle has on it.

Drinkability: I'd had a few of these in the past, but never knew I didn't review it. This one's aged and mellowed extremely nicely. The alcohol is soft and hardly noticeable, and has taken on some port wine characteristics and toned down sweetness. I think this could even last a few more years, but it's become something pretty special at this point. Another winner from a favorite brewery of mine.

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Another Weyerbacher Belgian Ale. They have been pretty impressive for the most part, so lets see what they can do with a Quad:

A: Pours a real murky brownish-orange. Almost an apricot color. Head is pretty much non-existent. No lacing to speak of.

S: Don't get too much in the smell. A touch of banana and yeast. Alcohol is present. Smells pretty sweet.

T: A decent flavor, but nothing spectacular. You get the banana and yeast upfront, as well as black licorice flavor as well. Finish is pretty spicy with some alcohol kick in there. Pretty sweet overall. Nothing really stands out, but decent for a Belgian Quad.

M: Medium bodied. A tad syrupy. Finish is actually pretty clean with minimal aftertaste. Alcohol does add some pricklyness in the mouthfeel.

D: This is a sipper, but goes down very smoothly. Nothing offensive about the beer, just nothing really great either. Not one I will revisit often, but still pretty drinkable.

This is better than I had anticipated. Not a big fan of the style to begin with, but this is solid outing overall. Worth a shot, but Weyerbacher does other styles much better.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%

A-Deep hazy amber body with 1 finger head. Small whisp of carbonation and foam film top the glass.

S-Big time Belgian phenols and esters. Lots of bubble gum and dark fruits. Slightly carmelized sugar as well.

T-Lot of flavors come out strong and well-balanced. Yeast spice is evident but is well supported by the rich malt backbone. Hops are tough to detect. Warming alcohol seems to be appropriate. Rich with residual sweetness and a raisin-like finish.

M-Carbonation is high which dries out the body a bit for such a big beer. Alcohol is noticeable but not out of bounds.

D-Dangerously drinkable but more of a sipper than anything. This is definitely one of my most impressive picks as of late and seems to do well in an, often, misunderstood category.

3.62/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into oversized snifter.

My bottle lists the ABV at 11.8%.

A - Slightly hazy reddish brown. Quarter inch of tan head rises and falls somewhat quickly, though the short retention is expected. Mild to moderate lacing.

S - Great smelling stuff. Lots of dark fruits including currants, prunes, and raisins with a bit of molasses and caramel thrown in. Interesting overtone of overripe/rotten apples (like a good English barleywine) and an elusive note of something between a tobacco shop and new leather. There's a bit of yeasty, phenolic edge deep in the background likely giving off the tobacco/leather impression.

T - Well Weyerbacher, you've managed another awesome smelling beer that falls flat on it's face when it comes to the taste test. Ok, it really isn't that bad but I thought there'd be a lot after given this beer a good long whiff. Things are looking up as QUAD approaches room temperature. This brew tastes like a big glass of prune juice accented slightly by grape and apple juice. Some fruity tartness is evident early on but by mid palate gives way to sweetish caramel, toffee, and molasses notes. Something brilliant occurs in the transition from mid to late palate; there's a beautiful metamorphosis of caramel-esque flavors into a manageable phenolic character. The caramel and molasses shed their sweetness, pack on some moderate bitterness, and segue flawlessly into chalk, iodine, soap (in a non floral way), and even something a little peaty which I assume is tied into the leather/tobacco aromas from the nose. The sweetness slowly decrescendos to a rough pinnacle of medicinal bitterness and a moderate smack of raw alcohol. Bitterness subsides in the aftertaste leaving some residual sweetness though the alcohol is straight-forward and long lasting.

M - QUAD isn't as thick as I'd like, but it'll do. Medium to full bodied with a moderate carbonation. The noticable booze also thins it out a little bit; this is probably the major deterrant.

D - What started out as a rather medicore drinking experience turned out to be above average, especially after the brew breathed and warmed a bit. Unfortunately for Weyerbacher, I've come to expect ill-hidden alcohol in their bigger brews and unfortunately for me, QUAD is no exception. Had they concealed the alcohol better, the beer would've jumped in both taste and mouthfeel. There's a lot of great stuff going on with this brew, it just isn't quite presented the right way. Though I prefer the barrel aged version, Blasphemy, I would definitely like to do a side by side and see who came out on top.

3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured into a chalice.

Initial notes of citrus and alcohol.

Almost no head after first pour, which then gives way to some bubbles and a nice amber color.

Strongest flavors noted were alcohol and banana.

Banana and tart citrus flavors on the finish with a pretty strong alcohol presence.

I could drink one of these only- I would be in la la land otherwise from the almost 12% abv.

This beer pours very thin with not much of a head, although most quads don't. The smell is of alcohol and citrus. The taste of this one was not very complex, mostly just alcohol and some very subtle citrus. This beer gets blown out of the water by 3 Philosophers. Overall a very boring beer for this style.

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

Not sure how long I've been sitting on this. At least 1 year, maybe 2 or 3. Anyway, now is the time. Nothing special, just now is the time. Thanks JB.
Alcohol, of course , in the aroma, but also both light and dark fruit. This is a satisfying fruity aroma.
Initially pours with a small head, but that leave rather quickly and paces itself with a light ring surrounding a clear liquid bathed in reds (between mahogany and garnet) and light browns. Appealing color.
The alcohol and malt approach a barleywine taste, and then the tasty belgian yeast flavors kick in and take this in a new and attractive direction. Some dark fruit flavors. Maybe this bottle has some oxidation, cuz' I taste some sherry type flavors with the richness too.
I do like the really mild yet fine bubbles for carbonation. Generally smooth character, but not all that heavy or thick.
The alcohol is probably over the top. Too bad, cuz' there is flavors I like in this beer.
Munster seems to be doing better than an aged cheddar.

3.57/5  rDev -6.5%

The Quad poured into my snifter with a common amber color with some cloudiness. Head was minimal and faded quickly.

Smell was bubblegum/pineapple.

Taste was sort of a boozy prune juice.

I bought this baby as a last hurrah since the Spring is warming us and the Barley Wine days are almost gone. It was OK, but a Horn Dog would have been a better send off.

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Note: This is an aged beer from 2004.

After 5 years, this beer really was yearning to be opened, so I begrudgingly obliged.

The 2004 Weyerbacher Quad poured a very dark amber, bordering on reddish brown. there wasn't much of a head, which should be expected from a 5 year old Quadruple.

The aroma is fruity and sweet, with a hint of citrus. There's little to no head.

At first taste, the alcohol is very apparent. This is a 12% beer and the strength is still apparent after 5 years. However, the depth of this beer is very nice. The flavor goes well beyond alcohol into layers of sweetness, fruit and malt.

There's not much carbonation left. If there had been, this aged beer would be close to excellent. However, if it had been able to keep a high level of bubbly for 5 years I would have been very amazed.

Al in all, I think I should have opened this a year ago. However, it has become more like a good sipping beer in its old age. perhaps it deserves this level of appreciation given its advanced years.

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

Had this on-tap at the Brick Store Pub. Poured a nice glowing light amber with little head. The nose is intensely scented with bubblegum. I've found that many of their Belgian styles are exaggerated versions. This is no exception. That doesn't mean they are necesarily extreme or super complex, rather they take one note notable in a style and run with it. In this case it's the bubblegum notes in the Belgian yeast that are (over?)emphasised. The taste mirrors this as well, and adds a light graininess. The mouthfeel is smooth and mellow, perhaps a bit too much so. A one note interpretation, but not bad.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy brown color with little in the way of head.
Smell: Fruity aroma and a bit boozy.
Taste: Quite fruity and a smaller bit spicy- also with elements of raisin and fig. A little sweet at the onset. Malts are bready. Very noticeable alcohol warmth midway through the tasting. Big taste profile yet not extraordinarily complex. Finish is on the dry side.
Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with an initial tingle on the palate.
Drinkability: Best served as a sipper considering the ABV and huge taste profile.

Overall- not bad, just feels like a beer with a "bite bigger than its bark". Big but not too complex.

Quad from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.