Tarte Nouveau Session Sour Ale - Blood Orange Puree | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Tarte Nouveau Session Sour Ale - Blood Orange PureeTarte Nouveau Session Sour Ale - Blood Orange Puree
3.62/5

Added by claspada on 04-09-2015

Reviews by anthonypw:

3.82/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

We have achieved the kick-off of New Beer Sunday (Week 626) & I am using the occasion to kick-off my long-awaited & much-needed horizontal of Weyerbacher B.C. beers. I have a LOT of their beers in my Bottle Backlog and it may take several days until they are depleted. Enjoy the ride!

From the bottle: "Session Sour Ale Brewed with Blood Orange Puree".

As always, it begins with a Pop! of the cap. I know that I am generally down on bottles as opposed to CANs, but not everything goes to waste. Bombers & bigger bottles go to a local homebrewer for reuse and the caps go to a local Countian who uses them for her art (https://www.facebook.com/WhimsicalWondersByKris/) so not all is lost. Once again, I gave it a heavy-handed pour, but in this instance, the fizzy, pop-like head fell as quickly as I poured, leaving mere wisps in its wake. Color was deeper in this iteration, solidly Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was lightly pungent, not as pronounced as in the earlier iteration, with a faint citrusiness overlain by the sharpness of the lacto. Hmmm. Mouthfeel seemed thin, at least thinner than in the earlier version. The taste was not as sharp as in the unadulterated version, but it was much more puckeringly tart! I felt it in the hinges of my jaw and in my lips as they pursed unbidden. I will not say that I could have identified Blood Orange, but there was definitely an inherent citrus quality to this one. Finish was dry and tart, but less vinous than the original. I said at the outset that this is not my go-to style, but of the two, I enjoyed this one a bit more, FWIW.

3.57/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Definitely a session-able sour beer, but somewhat disappointing if you are looking for a belgian-style sour. It lacks the complexity in flavor of its euro counterparts, and has a one-dimensional sour taste. The blood orange is a nice touch though, and not overpowering.

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Weyerbacher "Tarte Nouveau (Ale Brewed With Blood Orange Puree)"
12 oz. brown glass bottle
$2.29 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Appearance: Very hazy golden-orange body. Limited head retention and lacing as might be expected from a sour ale.

Aroma: Sour candy, green apple, lemon/orange, wet straw.

Flavor: Sweet tart candy upfront, opening into more sweetness/light malt and then orange which lingers into the finish, eventually fading as the residual tartness comes around again. Quite clean, and remarkably balanced for a sour ale.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light in body with a delicately crisp carbonation (not much is needed with such a low pH).

Overall: Really , really nice. In a way I hate to say it, but it really blows away the original Tarte Nouveau (unless they've improved that as well and I just haven't tasted it lately).

3.81/5  rDev +5.2%

5/14....pours hazy rusty copper with very little foam, visible sedimnet. Light bready nose, very faint. Tart sour taste, heavy, puckering. Orange flavor. Very light bodied, hearty sour. Clever.

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.14/5  rDev -13.3%

3.22/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Weyerbacher's Tarte Nouveau with Blood Oranges for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I had the orginal version of this beer and my main complaint was that lacked really any complexity and I'm that the blood orange may fix that, so lets see how it goes. 2016 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks ok, it's too similar to the original and it isn't too eye catching. It poured a hazy amber orange color that takes on more of an orange color when held to the light with just a little bit of very bubbly and very fizzy head that quickly faded to nothing and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This isn't the greatest looking beer, the head is pretty poor and I don't remember it being like that in the original.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with a funky yeast aroma being the first to to show up, it's a little more straight funky than barnyard like and their a little bit of balsamic vinegar like aroma showing up. Up next comes the blood orange, which imparts a little bit of a noticeable blood orange aroma, but it's more of just a citrus and citrus juice aroma that isn't too strong. Towards the end comes the malts which impart those pale malt, grainy, bready and doughy aromas that I remember from the original. This beer has a decent aroma, but I was hoping the blood orange would show up more.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the yeast still being the first to show up, it's got a little bit of that same funk that I got in the aroma, but there's this also weird herbal/medicinal like flavor that I can put my finger on. Up next comes higher amount of medium sourness that leads into the blood orange will still imparts more of just a citrus juice like flavors with a blood orange showing up a little more right in the finish along with all those same bready aspects that I got in the aroma. This is a decent tasting beer, but the weird flavor that I cant figure out doesn't really blend with the rest of the beer and I was expecting more blood orange flavors.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly refreshing, fizzy, a little crisp, on the light side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is ok, but I wish it wasn't so fizzy.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was a was pretty close to being an average example of the style, the blood orange brought a little to the table, but out of all the blood orange beers I've had this one had the least amount of a presence and the weird flavor held it back. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, one is enough for me, I don't have the urge to drink anymore after that. What I like the most about this beer is the sourness, it was at just the right level. What I like the least about this beer is the weird flavor i picked up and the lighter blood orange aspects. I don't think I would buy this beer again and I might turn one down. I can't say I would recommend, it's pretty easy to find a better Blood orange sour. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this one and I think I like the original more even though it wasn't as complex. It's one of my least favorite Weyerbacher beers and it's pretty close to being average for the style. I appreciate adding the fruit to this beer, but I think it could have worked out better, better luck next time.

4.06/5  rDev +12.2%

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.94/5  rDev +8.8%

4.21/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found this sweet treat in my mix six section for $2.50.
A - Looks quite good hazy apricot looking beer but the head fizzes out like a cheap cola. Gone in 60 seconds.
S - Not as tart as I expected the blood orange and zest does smell nice. Good lemon sourness as well.
T - Tart sourness as much as expected for a session ale. Not as puckering as I wanted but it drinks smooth the the blood orange. Constant flavor in every sip.
M - Light as expected and downright watery. Pretty easy to drink down.

Overall it was a great ale but I couldn't see getting it again too low of body and very watery.

2.3/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

My very first sour...I was not impressed...at least it was sessionable....

I am a huge fan of Weyerbacher, until now there wasn't a brew they offered I did not like. But when it comes to this, a sour, and my first one ever - I have to guess that I am no fan of the style. Though it had a nice dark-orange look to it and it had a decent citrusy odor to it, I just couldn't get pass the unbridled sourness of the beer. The feel was a tongue cringing sour, the taste was all sour, I couldn't really pull anything out as it finished sour as well. I may - may - look for another sour to see if it was just this one, but it will be some time before I work up the nerve.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

3.74/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tarte Nouveau Session Sour Ale - Blood Orange Puree from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.