Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Heresy | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
HeresyHeresy

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Old Heathen aged in oak (whiskey/bourbon) barrels.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-21-2004

Reviews: 1,002 | Ratings: 2,230
3.46/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours an oily black with a tan/brown colored head than looks nice for about a minute before it dissipates into obscurity.

Smells rich of bourbon. More so than other barrel aged imperial stouts I can remember. It also has a hard-water, rust/blood-like/metallic note, with some roasted malt characters.

The flavor profile has notes of chocolate and red merlot. The taste, in my opinion, doesn't seem that impressive. Somewhat fruity in its aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied. I was expecting something somewhat bigger from this. It isn't bad, or necessarily lacking here, but also not bold enough in it's feel to say much about.

4.21/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Black with light brown head; thick lace as liquid reduces. Smells like whiskey and wood. Whiskey and toffee stout flavors. Medium mouthfeel. Very good - would definitely drink again.

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours slick and oily tar black with a thick finger and a half of light brown foam that dissipates rapidly.

Dark chocolate, roasted malt, dark fruits, oak, and a hint of bourbon.

Chocolate and roasted notes stand out the most, but seem much more subtle in comparison to the aroma. Oak, some light vanilla, and bourbon is also present, but again seems toned down.

Heavy-bodied, light-medium carbonation, semi-chewy, roasty, bitter.

Overall, this is definitely not the greatest BBA impy stout I've had, but for $12 a 4 pack, it's worth a shot.

4.16/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours black like oil with similar viscosity and a nice amount of khaki colored head. Whiskey and cocoa on the nose, a little roasted malt too; follows onto the palate. Finishes with vanilla and cocoa, with a whiskey backbone.

4.01/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured very dark, almost black, opaque. Nice half-inch head. Aroma has touches of chocolate, vanilla and just a hint coffee and alcohol. Flavor was lots of dark roast malt, vanilla, and some dark fruit. Mouthfeel was somewhat thin from what I had expected from an Imperial Stout. Overall, pretty tasty, but not outstanding. Very drinkable.

Pours a deep inky black with a thick-ish light tan head. The head has limited retention and leaves very slight sticky lacing. The aroma is bourbon forward, with hints of vanillin and roasted malt. The taste is on the lighter side, but still has all the characteristics of the aroma, nicely melded together. The body is lighter, as well, with a nice slickness and a little alcohol tingle.

4.66/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

The look was perfect, it let you know it really is a stout. The smell was not as strong as a stout should be but it was there. The taste was great, the whiskey was hidden well, however, the feel let you know the whiskey was there. The feel, was like the previous statement, and kind of thin for a stout.

4.53/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Nice BA stout here. Readily available and well made.

Appearance: Dark as night very little head to speak of exactly what you would expect of a good BA stout.

Aroma: Some light whisky notes, caramel vanilla are dominant.

Taste: Very nicely done, not too burned very well balanced. Barrel does not shine as much as you would expect but there are notes that are present. Vanilla and roasted barley and caramel are the most prominent.

Overall: Very well made stout and enjoyable for the style. I would definitely seek this one out again in the future.

3.23/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Another swing-and-miss from Weyerbacher for me. With any of their beers, I've realized I either hate it or I love it. This looked and smelled nice enough, but seemed way too sweet, with an odd mix of dark fruit and toffee. Did not seem to be well complemented by it's time in the barrel. Besides the flavor profile that was a bit disjointed, the body was way too thin for what this beer is trying to be. Thankfully I had an Insanity on hand to rinse the taste out of my mouth and make me forget what I just drank.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

12 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 2/3/2015. Pours pitch black color with a 1 finger dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, vanilla, toffee, bourbon, oak, light dark fruit, and roast/oaky earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt, bourbon barrel, and light dark fruit notes; with great strength. Taste of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, vanilla, toffee, bourbon, oak, light dark fruit, and roast/oaky earthiness. Light roast/oaky bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, vanilla, toffee, bourbon, oak, light dark fruit, and roast/oaky bitterness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt, bourbon barrel, and light dark fruit flavors; with a great malt/barrel balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied; with a very smooth, fairly creamy, and slightly bready/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent barrel aged imperial stout. All around great complexity, balance, and robustness of dark/roasted malt, bourbon barrel, and light dark fruit flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. The barrel character is very pronounced, but not overdone. A very enjoyable offering.

3.89/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic looking beer. Pitch black with a great full brown head.

Full whiskey smell, with a fresh wood smell, but not very strong.

Great whiskey flavor, with a distinguishable toasted vanilla bean flavor to it. This has a pretty well balanced flavor.

Warming full feel to this beer. It tasted better as you get further into the beer and it warms up just a little bit. The flavors seem to fill up a lot of your mouth.

3.72/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

As much as I like Old Heathen, this just missed the mark for me. The bourbon flavor just did not seem to mesh well with this beer. Surprising because I generally like Weyerbacher's stuff.

I purchased a four pack of Heresy based on the description on the box. This beer has an awful hoppy sour taste. I have opened two and could not manage to drink more than half before pouring it down the drain. I really hate wasting pricey beer, but I cannot tolerate this stuff!
Looks like the bro-in-law is getting a couple of beers for xmas!

3.4/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Solid black, with a very large tan head, very rocky and quick to fade to a thin cap. Lacing is present.

S - Not so good. A band-aid element, along with wood and a bit of booze. Something seems off.

T - Missing most of the stout flavor notes I look for; not completely absent, but the volume for the chocolate and roast notes is turned way down. Leather and dark fruit are present, but I mainly pick up the alcohol from the barrel, a subtle sourness, and the oak.

M - Slick and coating, perhaps a bit thinner than I'd expect for a RIS.

O - Something did not quite gel here. There have been rumbling concerns of infection, but while there are off notes, particularly in the nose, this is not the issue. The barrel has not augmented the underlying beer, and the parts are less than the whole. A bit disappointing, but not the drain pour experience some have described.

2.08/5  rDev -47.2%

Drain pour for me...I don't love bourbon barrel beers but normally I can finish them. Just really, not enjoying this one. Drinks more like a mediocre sour than an Russian Imperial Stout. If it was the only beer I had in my fridge I could finish it...but for my one Tuesday night beer I'm dumping it and going for the Founders Breakfast Stout.

3.35/5  rDev -15%

This beer pours a dark walnut body with a 3-finer tan head that retains for a few minutes leaving nice lacing. Lots of carbonation rushing up from the bottom which surprised me

Aroma of molasses and chocolate with a spicy alcohol in the nose. Some sweet vanilla as the beer warms more

Interesting tasting RIS. Would not have classified it as such in a blind taste test. A little sweet and sticky but light bodied. Not thick and roasty like I expected. Very high carbonation which I would nearly classify as effervescent. Chocolate malts with molasses and vanilla. The barrel comes through as the beer warms and you get a nice oaky flavor. Alcohol spices up the sweetness a little bit.

Not a bad beer but just wasn't great. Not what I was expecting in a whisky-barrel aged RIS.

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

A. Dark brown appearance with a massive tan head of three fingers that ever so slowly recedes.
S. Dark malt, oak and a nasty note of excrement (sulfur?) - call it "poopy" smelling
T. Oak, whisky-like alcohol, some coffee. Not much else.
M. Thin and flat tasting.
O. The beer guy I buy from and trust recommended this stuff. I trust his palate but he missed on this beer big time. Nothing I want to drink again. May even end up dumping my other three bottles.

So an employee at a local shop recommended I buy this along with the old heathen and blind test each. This one in my opinion is good for sure but super different than the old heathen. I thought there would be subtle differences based on his recommendation. Anyways, I liked both of them but old heathen is definitely more my style. This thing was like a sour stout. It was super carbonated. I started noticing the barrel taste more and more as it warmed up. Interesting beer for sure, good, not my favorite but I did enjoy it.

What a disappointment. Bottled on 2/14 and I think it's also indicating a drink by date of 10/14. Similar to other reviews, there's just nothing here for me. Actually tasting more like a barrel aged sour than a stout. Thin, tart and simple. Not a good effort from Weyerbacher, which usually excells... Maybe it was a bad batch, but avoid the 2/14 bottling....

1.9/5  rDev -51.8%

Not good. It just tastes like oak, oak, and more oak. The only other note i can pick up, and i'm not kidding, is urine. As i bury my face in this snifter and inhale deeply, i smell old urine.

There is no coffee, vanilla, chocolate, bourbon, anything. It smells and tastes like watered down $5/pint scottish whisky.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

To keep this short and sweet, there's just too much whiskey flavor for me if I want to enjoy this. Ole heathen was good but the whiskey on this one is a little overwhelming and unpleasant. Granted, I don't much enjoy straight liquor, and maybe that's the issue, but this tastes more of liquor than beer to me and I'm not enjoying drinking this one much as a result. It reminds me of a really badly root beer flavored dum-dum. I'll say it's ok. But that's my whiskey unfriendly palate saying so, keep in mind. Not something I'll seek out again.

3.87/5  rDev -1.8%

A: pours mildly viscous black, producing a fluffy head that lasts very well

S: light roasted notes covered by the obvious wood tones. There is also a hint of cherry.

T/M: definitely didn't see it coming, but it tends towards a sour stout in some fashion. There's a bit more carbonation than I'm used to in a RIS, also. The front taste (probably mostly due to the carbonation), had a bit of a cola taste. Behind that is a raspberry-cocoa taste, followed by the barrel wood taste the slowly dries the taste.

O: even with all the unexpected flavors mentioned above, I enjoyed this beer. It was simple, fairly straightforward, and tasty.

A: Dark brown body with a thick khaki head. Good head retention and lacing.
S: Coffee, dark chocolate and bourbon aromas.
T: Molasses, whiskey, oak and roasted malt flavors. A bit boozy.
M: Smooth, dry and malt forward brew.
O: Excellent Russian Imperial Stout.

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look: Pours jet black with about 1 finger of tan head which is retains for a few minutes.

Smell: Roasted nuts, malt and chocolate. A hint of bourbon/whiskey, but very little.

Taste: The barrel aging definitely shows up in the flavor. Tasting also some roasted malts

Feel: Smooth and velvety. Little carbonation.

Overall: Not what I was expecting, but still a good overall beer. I would definitely get this again.

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle dated "02/17/15 - 10/17/15" into pint glass. Pours an oily black - no light transmission, even at the edges. Modest tan head that dissipates quickly. Initial impression is sweet caramel/coffee/chocolate malt, followed by dark fruit. Alcohol well hidden, as is (unfortunately) the whiskey. Very smooth. Moderate carbonation, mouthfeel is on the light side for the style. OK but not spectacular.

Heresy from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.