Heresy | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

HeresyHeresy

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
weyerbacher.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

We take our Old Heathen and age it in oak bourbon barrels. The result is our silky smooth Heresy, 8% ABV. The aroma is filled with vanilla, cocoa and roasted coffee. Notes of oak, whiskey, roasted barley and vanilla dance across your taste buds.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-21-2004

Ratings: 2,257 |  Reviews: 1,012
4.27/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

Notes: 12 oz bottle served at cellar temperature in a chalice. Two dates on the bottle, "02/11/15" and "10/11/15", I assume are bottled-on and drink-by dates. Consumed on Nov. 18, 2015. This was my last bottle of a 4-pack and was left sitting in my basement; I gave one away and drank two early on. I was just getting over a cold and wanted a beer. I wasn't impressed before so I figured I wouldn't waste a beer I really liked while my nose was still a bit stuffy.

L: Not quite pitch black, very dark brown with a brown head. Plenty of foam, depending on how you pour it. Very slight residual lacing.

S: Definitely got the whiskey immediately after the pour but it toned down as I drank. Also a burnt smell. I still had some congestion in my sinuses so the smell was inhibited so I'd prefer to abstain from ranking the smell.

T: Whiskey is mellow, rising to the front occasionally which is a dramatic departure from the other bottles. A molasses sweetness, I even got banana here and there. Burnt taste to match the smell, somewhat like coffee grounds. Reminded me a lot of Postum, if you've ever had it.

F: Much thicker than the other (younger) bottles, but not oily at all. Biggest negative of the beer was that it left a bit of a burning sensation, not due to carbonation. I remember this with the other bottles as well.

O: Is this the same beer I had before? 6+ months in the basement has served it well. When I drank this before, the whiskey didn't blend well at all and was quite harsh. Now it's much smoother and very pleasant. Thicker mouthfeel and more of a burnt flavor. I bought Old Heathen at the same time and strongly preferred the OH before. Now I'm not so sure. At 8% and with an "expiration" date I didn't expect it to improve with age but I much prefer it now than when fresh. I may have to experiment with that.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +1%

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.54/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Look; Pretty standard for an Imperial Stout, dark brown to black with a brown sugar head. The head splts quickly and there is light lacing in it's absence.
Smell; Scorched caramel, bourbon, vanilla and some plum
Taste; Sweet, burnt sugar, oak, lots of bourbon, vanilla and a cola like aftertaste.
Feel; Creamy!
Overall; Not an earth shaker by any means, but very enjoyable. One of the better bargain BA RIS.

4.16/5  rDev +5.6%

Smells like bourbon, oak, roasty dark malts, less intense than bigger whiskey aged imperial stouts. Taste is bourbon, oak, vanilla, caramel, dark malts, coffee, roast, chocolate. Mouthfeel is medium, alc covered, aftertaste is bourbon, oak, caramel. Overall this beer is damn decent. I'd buy it again. I'd compare it to FW Velvet Merkin, I think people may be too quick to knock this one because it's an 8% BA stout, but it does exactly what its supposed to do.

3.67/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

4.09/5  rDev +3.8%

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

3.67/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Jet black in color with no penetration to light. There's a fingernail of beige resting on the vast majority of the top. Aroma is dark roasted barley, black licorice, and wood smoke. I taste dark roasted barley, sweet lactose, plum, and alcohol. The mouth is thick, chewy, and viscous.

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev +3%

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottled 2/11/15 enjoyed 9/1/15 in a MadTree tulip/snifter.

Look - Small head was quick to develop and quick to dissipate. Tan medium bubbles head. Thick black body with brown edges. No sediment. No lacing.

Smell - Sweet bourbon. Vanilla. Coffee. Chocolate. Light berry.

Taste - Subdued bourbon. Chocolate. Coffee. Vanilla. Berry.

Feel - Looks much heavier than it is but still heavy. Carbonation more apparent than look. Bitter bite on tongue.

Overall - Lets call this Bourbon Barrel Aged Light. Average. I see myself hovering around 4 with ratings so take that in to account.

3.91/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.28/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Balanced, delicate, exquisite, soul hovering whiskey all the time about the character of this beer.

3.74/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.26/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.57/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

L: Pours inky opaque black under a 1” light tan foam cap with a very fine bead and produces intricate lace. S: Bourbon aroma T: Bourbon, vanilla, coffee, and chocolate with some drying astringency in the finish. F: Medium full body, medium low carbonation O: A very rich, bourbon Russian Imperial Stout.

Heresy from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.