Insanity (Ale Aged in Oak Barrels) | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Insanity (Ale Aged in Oak Barrels)Insanity (Ale Aged in Oak Barrels)

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
weyerbacher.com

Style: English Barleywine

Bourbon barrel-aged "Blithering Idiot"

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-21-2004

Ratings: 2,487 |  Reviews: 948
4.41/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

3.14/5  rDev -24.2%

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.31/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It is ironic that I am following up an aged American Barleywine (Cassiopeia) with a young (bottled 11/28/16) English Barleywine. Maybe I am a f**ked up as everyone makes me out to be!

From the bottle: "Ale Aged in Oak Barrels"; [Bottled:] 11/28/16 [Best By:] 11/28/21".

I could almost weep for drinking this so early, but I know where I scored it & I am hopeful of finding another bottle to cellar. Despite its only having had three months in the bottle, I still went with a gentle pour. Once a sufficient amount had been decanted, I employed an in-glass swirl to raise a brief finger of foamy, light-tan head with very limited retention. Hey, there's no need to be shy! I know that you're young, but it's okay. Color was Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with deep amber highlights & NE-quality clarity. I would bet that this is going to darken as it matures. Nose was very sweet and malty with notes of leather and coconut, the latter being very indicative of oak aging. Mouthfeel was light, but kind of hot and prickly on the tongue without a lot of appreciable carbonation. Warming, it began to acquire a higher viscosity, becoming very thick. The taste was quite sweet, like a caramel-coated coconut cluster with a light leatheriness that I am sure will develop over time, left to its own devices. This was unquestionably an English Barleywine since at its young age, it had no hop presence whatsoever. I really think that this is going to smooth out into a brandy-like sipper, given time to do so. Finish left me with a tear in my eye and a stickiness on my lips. I thought of all of the women that have come and gone: Ann, The Hoosiette, Linda Lou, The Old Lady, all with a kiss to remember them by, but with a lingering sadness on their departure from my life. Licking my lips, I could taste the beer's personality - coconut with a touch of leather, like wearing chaps to go sunbathing in Hawai'i. Oh my. If this is Insanity, then sign me up! I leave you with one of my favorite quotes: "There is a pleasure, sure, in being mad, that none but madmen know!" - John Donne, "The Spanish Friar" - II, i(1681).

4.31/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.14/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.01/5  rDev -3.1%

3.73/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Slightly hazy garnet with a dark brown core and a soft, fizzy tan blanket that settles to a ring.

Smell is butterscotch, caramel, raisin, toffee, new leather and red grape all behind a little wall of alchol burn.

Taste is raisin, toasted biscuit, and light molasses. I then get red grape and even raspberry. It's not too heavy, with an almost tart brightness, making it relatively light for a barleywine. As I get more into it, flavors of Barq's develop, as well as bright oak and basement must.

Medium body, nicely carbonated, with a little heat, a little stickiness, finishing semi-dry.

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.52/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.24/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.47/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.06/5  rDev -1.9%

2015 vintage poured from 12 oz bottle into the modified tulip glass.
A - Dark oak colored, carbonation struggles through the body, skyward, a ring of evidence displays its efforts.
S - Toffee, light brown sugar, shade tobacco curing, old oak plank from your basement. patience.
T - Just like the nose. complexity added with temperature, dark fruit, yellow raisin, kiss of cinnamon.
F - Slick, full palate coating, sweet finish
O - A big delightful offering, a bit sweet, the body could use some heft, that said I will be seeking out again

Insanity (Ale Aged in Oak Barrels) from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.