Imperial Pumpkin Ale | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Imperial Pumpkin AleImperial Pumpkin Ale

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
weyerbacher.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

We set out to make a bold monument for The King of the Pumpkins!
This 8.0% ABV pumpkin ale is the mother of all pumpkin ales. It is heartier, spicier and more “caramelly” and “pumpkiny” than its faint brethren! We have added lots of pumpkin along with cinnamon, nutmeg and a touch of cardamom and clove, giving this beer a spicy, full-bodied flavor.

This truly is an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Perfect finisher on a cool autumn night or match it up with a slice of pumpkin pie and fresh whipped cream.

Added by cbl2 on 09-17-2005

Ratings: 2,727 |  Reviews: 1,025

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium snifter. The beer pours out a hazy reddish-brown color with a finger of off-white head. The nose is quite sweet and spicy, with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and squashy pumpkin.

The beer has a medium full body with a nice slick, creamy feel. The flavor is not quite as sweet as the nose promises. I get squashy, slightly bitter vegetable flavors and some balancing malty sweetness and spices. Some of these spices linger on the finish, but not for too long.

Overall, a nicely balanced pumpkin beer, especially for those who prefer squashy varieties to sweet. I am of the latter, not the former. I definitely prefer pumpkin beers that bring more sweetness to the table. Still, this was a very enjoyable beer.

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.58/5  rDev -8%

1587th Review on BA
Bottle to LA Teku
12oz

2012 Bottle
Thanks to TroyG2352 for this one

App- I really liked the look of this one. A deeper color with what I would say is more like a wood stain color. A good highlighted beer in the glass. A little 1 finger off tan head was there and fizzled pretty quickly. A touch of lace and cling was present. A good density in the center of the beer as well. Wasnt a light or fizzy as I was thinking it would be.

Smell- It was a nicely spiced pumpkin beer. Wasnt overly done really but there was just one aroma in there I couldnt place and it kinda threw me. Didnt work with the rest of the aromas and kinda skewed what I was thinking about this. I got some cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and of course pumpkin. Maybe it was yam or some other vegetable.

Taste- Its a nicely spiced pumpkin beer. I will say the style isnt my favorite but this one was pretty good. A good layering of flavors and a good blend in the glass. The pumpkin and spice pair well. That mystery smell is making an appearance on the flavor and its making me annoyed I cant place it. Still a tasty beer.

Mouth- Started out as a bit of a lighter body and then as it warmed became more of a little bit more of a medium body. Has a medium carbonation level and was a little bit sweet and creamy. The residual spices of cinnamon and nutmeg with traces of pumpkin are there.

Drink- I thank Troy for this one. A nice pumpkin beer that I didnt have before. Id probably have this one again. I did have an 11.3% TIPA right before this. Couldve been a bit off my game as well.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Got the very last 4pk of this at my local store and didnt want to drink it yet, but all the other beers I have are way too good to drink right now.

A: Beer pours a golden-copper color with an amber tint with a really thin cream colored head. The head does have some big bubbles on top and leaves a little bit of lacing.]

S: First whiff of the smell gives off some clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I do also get some malt aromas.

T: Allspice is in the initial taste, followed by nutmeg, cinnamon and a malt sweetness. Flavors are not overly complex here.

M: Very sweet and spicy flavors that hide the high ABV well. Not a session beer, just a sipper. Lots of carbonation from pour to the settle point and quite drinkable.

O: Not the greatest Weyerbacher Ive had. But I have not had that many since they are so pricey. Regardless, for the season, this is a must try and is among the top harvest beers!

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.