Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Double Simcoe IPA | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.

Added by yen157 on 05-05-2006

Reviews: 1,363 | Ratings: 3,231
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Been waiting to try this for a while. It's been in the fridge for a few days, and it's been warming for about 10 minutes, as it's hot as hell here in Richmond.

Bomber into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: A beautiful hazy copper / orange / amber mix, almost the color if a peach were liquified and all the pulp was still in it. Maybe it was a little too cold; there's a lot of condensation on the glass, and though the lacing is clumpy and wet and curling slowly down the glass, the head bursts back up with a swirl or two to a nice off-white.

Smell: A lot of piney, sweet, floral and citrus-backed hops, some wet and pungent yeast, definite breadiness, and rather thick and almost tangible malt character, or is that coming from the hops? I didn't realize simcoe hops would be this fragrant, but indeed they are. I was thinking there'd be alcohol in the nose too, but the hops cover up most of it. As it warms, more of the yeastiness comes through, which is oddly satisfying in the nose.

Taste: Damn this is some sweet stuff, though I guess the more hops, the more sweetness in a sense. And there's something odd about the sweetness, maybe it's a combination of all the yeast, too. There's a bread dough-like thickness and chewiness to it, but somehow, again, I like it. You can sense the bitterness right away, from pine to citrus to an alpha-acid insanity, with a finish that lingers somewhere in between, the the hops don't let up on the back of the tongue--they're making their presence known. The long, lingering taste of sweet and bitter hops (with some malt presence and thickness too) on the back of my tongue, however, is something I'm going to be enjoying a lot.

Mouthfeel: Pretty creamy and full, with a smoothness that undoubtedly comes from the heavy sweetness and balanced carbonation levels. By the end I'm not licking my teeth either to get off any residual stickiness, which is also a good sign.

Drinkability: After drinking this, though I enjoyed it immensely, my mouth's saying "give me a rest already..." Great stuff, fairly cheap at around $4-$5 a bottle, a fairly high level alcohol that's not really discernible when you drink, and an experience like this with a Double IPA hat I've yet to have. All those are great things in my book. I'll be buying more. Thanks again Weyerbacher.

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearence: Pours a very nice orange-amber with one the most beatiful heads my eyes have ever seen. Rich, creamy, thick, and long-lasty. One of the better looking IPA's I've come across.

Smell: The smell is piney and citrusy with sweet and bready malt notes. Seems incredibly balanced.

Taste and Mouthfeel: All out hops. All the way, and all over the board. Citrus, piney, bitter madness. I know they only use Simcoe's, but goddamn do those bastard hops pack a punch. I feel like they're tearing the lining off of my throat, making my teeth fall out, and eating at my gums like acid. It is tasty though. While there's not much else going on outside the hop flavors, a bready, almost sweet malt flavor makes an appearence about mid-sip, but the hops finish it off, and linger forever. The mouthfeel is full-bodied, rich and creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: I've had about 6 bottles of this stuff, and this one in particular is hoppier than the rest. I'm normally not a fan of hugely hoppy beers anymore, but something about this one keeps me coming back. This is definitly one that could stand up to any West Coast IPA.

Weyerbacher is a fantastic brewery, and their new beers seem to get better and better (forgetting the Prophecy of course). Can't wait to see what their Triple IPA comes out like. Cheers to Weyerbacher!!

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%

The Weirback's... good job folks...I'm from Weirton so now we can go back to the Weyerbacher Simcoe DIPA...I am a fan in general of all of this Eastern PA breweries beers yet some have wowed me over time others have been less than satisfactory. By no means a hit or miss brewery I just go with what I like and try everything new from 'em that I can. The only beers bottled beers I'm missing are the Imperial Pumpkin and the Decadence, anywho back to this fine brew it appears a copper amber hue that forms a massive cream colored head and melds into an impressive biscuit looking texture floating atop my brew leaves behind thick even streaks of lacing with each sip. Aroma contains deep earthy, piney, and grapefruit citrus layers with a spiced bready notes and just a dousing of alcohol, some newbie would probably consider this beer to be soapy but anyway you slice it I like the varietal IPA trend. Flavor consists of a sugary sweet doughy malt layer paired with ample resinous hop flavor fresh from the vine, herbal, citrus, pine, and a bit of funky earthiness all come across the palate. Evident but not overwhelming with the 9% alcohol toasty caramel nut with fruity highlights in the malt department such a good mix great DIPA. Mouthfeel is medium to full body range with enough sticky-ickiness to put a smile on my face even a gentle natural carbonation here as well. Drinkability...extremely flavorful yet refreshing and oh so tasty will bring on a parade of hop burps and it forces me to crave another, good thing I snagged four bottles of this lovely brew.

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

No best by date. 22 oz. bottle.

Pours a deep hazy brown with excessive carbonation and at least 2 inches of tight tan foam on top.

Luscious juicy ripe grapefruits, bursting with sweetness and an intense bitterness to balance it. Just a touch of pine resin.

Not sure where to begin on this one, as all of the flavors are balanced in this perfect harmony. There is a juicy grapefruit intensity to lead things off: insanely bitter, but at the same time sweet and inviting. Alcohol is nicely muted.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly viscous, giving this a syrupy feel to it almost. Perhaps Weyerbacher's best offering. This shows the East coast can brew DIPA's as well as the West. Ranks up there with Stone Ruination as one of the best DIPA's I've sampled.

4.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let me preface this by saying I never liked hoppy beers at all until the last month or 2 but I have seen the light! I figured out (through some exhaustive research ;) ) that I like hops low in cohumulone and simcoe was bred to be just that.
Anyway onto the beer:
Huge head of tiny bubbles with incredible lacing and staying power. The beer itself is a mahogony color with good clarity. Smell is amazing too, and I rarely say that. Those simcoe's sure smell good! Still hard for me to identify the different aromas of hops. Piney comes to mind though...
Taste is exceptional. The bitterness is clean and not abrasive. I guess its piney, maybe a little citrus thrown in there, but not the abrasive citrus quality that turned me off to IPA's for so long. A hint of spiciness on the tongue as well. Also some caramel quality from the malts. So smooth...
I have to say I like everything about this; its probably the best IPA of any kind that I've had so far. And to think, as recently as 2 months ago I wouldnt have even thought of getting it!
I emplore my fellow malt fans to give the hops a chance and try this beer, it just may change your mind.

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

Thanks to my buddy Dale aka hoppedup for sending this and many other gems from NC,poured deep orange infused copper with a big blooming slight off white head that settled ever so slowly leaving globs of lace behind.Oh man the aromas pine,pine and more pine with underlying grassiness and grapefruit rind its almost all hops with a small dose of caramel malt base but like I said its small.The big piney notes samck your palate and lets them know who in charge,a hop lovers dream here very piney and resiny I notice a tangerine-like flavor in a long lingering finish,there is a touch of sweetness and breadiness to let you know there is a pretty hefty malt base but the hops steal the show and what a show it is.The alcohol creeps but is pretty much in check,a damn fine DIPA and to me is true to form,unbelievably I cant get in the Buffalo area I wish I had more.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Amber color with orange and red highlights. Off white head that maintains fairly well and leaves behind vertical streaks of lacing. Big hop smell with tons of citrus and pine. Taste is also all about the hops. A very grapefruit like bitterness and plenty of pine mixed in for good measure. This one packs a punch. Very full and chewy mouthfeel. The 9% is well hidden by the bitterness and is really not noticable at all. Overall was very pleased with this one and look forward to more IPA experiments from Weyerbacher.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a medium-orange color with subtle rust highlights and a creamy, white colored head that dissipated slowly. Heavy carbonation with giant bubbles seemingly leaping out of my pint glass. Aromas of hops, citrus, grapefruit, and alcohol. The taste is dominated by fresh, juicy hop flavors, though there is a mild malt character for balance. Somewhat creamy and smooth in my mouth with a lingering bitterness that turns slightly sour. Crips and bursting with flavors of hops and tropical fruits. A very good example of this style with enough hops to please hop lovers. After 1 bomber, I was done, but I could see that under the right conditions, I could have more.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Mmm. Double IPAS! My girlfriend recently picked this one up at Merry Wine in Black Mountain, NC.

Ruby bronze color that looks magnificent when backlit. The head is a huge almost greenish white fluff with loads of thick lacing down to the last sip.

Sweet grapefruit hops ride atop a very sweet malty back. They're quickly overtaken by a huge pine needle bitterness.

Sweet thick almost sugary orange maltiness with some sweet hoppiness which as soon as you lower the glass changes to very bitter finish in-your-face piney hoppiness. This brew finishes extremely dry and bitter. Those hops really cling to the mouth and throat.

Wow. This is a great extremely bitter brew. This one isn't for the drinkers who aren't only vaguely fond of very bitter hops. Mmmm mmm. Go find this one.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

My 2nd sampling of a bottle of this, and it's as good as I remember. Brilliant copper, sticky ivory head. Bubblegum and pine in the aroma, which also define the initial flavors of this one, and something about this is clearing my sinuses. Yow. Unbelievably herbal and eccentric in its tree-like pine and spruce flavors, and the bitterness throughout is cutting and abrasive. Not a flavor profile for the weak or uninitiated! Luckily, I am neither and certainly enjoy its soapy bitterness. Subtle juicy citrus notes in the middle, while the finish continues to be leafy, resiny and herbal with notes of black pepper. Mellow carbonation. This is not your typical American Double IPA brimming with juicy grapefruits and Cascades. This is tongue puckering bitter with a seriously interesting, unique and overpowering hop profile. This is not for those who smother themselves in weaksauce. I can dig it.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Glowing copper orange with partial haze, only a slim head but a nice crusty ring accompanies the beer throughout the session. Strong hops dominate the nose with a real piney/herbal bite. Smells very dry-hopped although I don't know for sure if it is. The taste carries a sweet grapefruit hop tang with an earthy and bready finish with nice lingering bitteness. A bit strong in alcohol, but it doesn't detract any. Thickness is between light and medium, and it has a slight syrupy feel. Carbonation is adequately light. I very much enjoyed this brew, the taste never gets too sweet, nor overly sour leaving a nice balance of flavors worth experiencing again.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

22oz. bomber. Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy dark amber color with a huge two finger marshmellow frothy like off white head. Great retention and that leaves wonderful lace.
S: Aromas of grapefruit and other citrus notes. Also some pine too. Slight malt with some spicyness that tingles the nostrils.
T & M: Nice blast of pine and citrus hops up front with a good backbone of malt. The malts and hops blend nicely together. Creamy and smooth in the mouth. Oily mouthfeel with some pine tar resin. Leaves good bitterness that hangs at the tip of the tongue and sides of the mouth. Warming in the back of the throat. Abv is noticeable with a slight spicyness, but masked well by the hops. Gets better as it warms...
D: Definately a drinkable beer. Very tasty offering from Weyerbacher. Glad I got to try this one, and if I see it, I'll definately buy it.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

06/17/06- Received as part of a trade with Jetsbeer.

Presentation- 22oz bottle with no freshness dating. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Darker amber colored pour. Full inch plus head. Holds at a nice steady 1/5th inch the rest of the way. Large chunks, streaks and wisps of lacing left behind. Wish I could rate it a 4.75.

Smell- Grapefruit and large pine scents come through in the nose. Also an overwhelming scent of a wet dog just coming out of a bath. Earthy?

Taste- This one is bitter for sure. Grapefruit is plowed over by a 200 foot tall befelled pine tree. A light caramel malt background holds the beer together nicely though. Hops o'plenty in this brew.

Mouthfeel- Pretty well carbonated. Kind of a nice burning sensation going down.

Drinkability- Fairly harsh DIPA, but tasty. One was enough in a sitting for me, but I would try again for sure. Much thanks to Jetsbeer for this great brew!

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Large burnt orange amber color with a head that stayed with me the whole way though and laced the entire glass. Smelled of sticky hops, piney and citrus pith with the sweet background of malt. The taste is driven by the flavor of the hops, not overly bitter in the killer way. The balance is stuck well for this beer and the alcohol is a real no-show which makes it all the smoother. I could drink this regularly, or wait make that I will.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Had my first of these courtesy of NolanGTI. Thanks Matt!

This beer poured a bright orange amber with a thin manila head that lasted ‘till the end.

Smelled of crisp, dry pine, lemon zest, roses, a hint of lilac and a touch of honey. Now that’s an enticing hop aroma!

Tasted of a light white flour and oat base that carried a monstrous lemon rind and a uniquely sour pine hop. This really bit at my palate with out being too dry, or numbing me up. The silky nature of this bitterness is stunning.

The mouth feel was medium bodied and viscous with a light carbonation.

Nice! This really wrecked my palate for the evening (but in a very good way). Avery’s Maharaja was a joke when it followed the Simcoe.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a chalice.

A - Pours a deep burnt orange color that is slightly cloudy with a small head. Lacing is very nice.

S - Grapefruity hop profile with a roasted malt compliment. Some sugar candy-like sweetness in the background, but the hoppiness dominates.

T+M - Hop bomb, pure and simple. The Simcoe hops show why they make for very good IPAs. A deep citrisy and pine hop flavor initially hits, and it is followed by slight sweetness before finishing bitter again. Very full and thick. Feels good in the mouth.

Drinkablity is good, but I think a more than a couple of these would render your tongue useless.

Nice beer. Thanks to KilgoreTrout27.

Very nice-orange to amber color with a decent carbonation level and a very nice, tight white head. Good aroma-I dont think I have had too many beers that smell as "fresh" as this one. It has a good, resiny hop aroma-you can almost see the hops the aroma is so "bright". Very hoppy flavor-has more bitterness then some recent double IPAs I have had. Grapefruity and grassy but an underlying bitterness. Touch of lingering sweetness in the finish.Good body-dry finish leaves the tongue a bit parched! Overall a very enjoyable beer. The whole package is very well done. I was getting tired of some of the Weyerbacher brews-I just found there were better ones out there of various styles. This one is a winner for sure.

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%

Crisp, tarnished copper color with a gorgeous off white head that slowly falls to a lasting cap, leaving plaster-like webs of lace in thick sheets.

Aroma is tantalizing pine cones oozing with resin shadowed by candied orange peel and lemon zest. A hearty malt presence of caramal and lightly burnt brown sugar provides perfect balast. Not overly complex, but a real showcase for the headlining hop.

Tasting reveals fruity and toffee malts quickly beat into submission by warm pine, cedar, and crushed spruce needle notes coupled with pungent grapefruit, grated lemon peel, and bitter green herbs. There's a hint of tangy sweetness throughout the tasting that does a great job of keeping the intense, hoppy overature in check.

Body is just above medium, and needs just a little more substance to support all the massive flavors. Mouthfeel is creamy and quite slick, with a slippery, almost sticky texture. Considering the high abv% and the freshness of this beer, it's dangerously smooth and drinkable. No trace of it's strength. Next to the Idiot and Insanity, this is my new Weyerbacher favorite.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

Hazed amber/orange with a short, dense, eggshell coloured head. Decent retention and moderate lacing. The aroma started out with lemon and cat urine, but his faded quickly and became intense pine with plenty of grapefruit rind. Some earthiness to the hops as it warmed. Solid bitterness with a strong unsweetened grapefruit juice character. Caramel malt was apparent at first, but faded as hops grew into the finish and lingered for some time. Fairly balanced though for an over the top beer, with a bit of warmth in the finish. Creamy texture with moderate carbonation and some hop dryness. A good beer, but the Simcoe hops were a little more one-dimensional in the flavour than I expected from my previous homebrewing experiments.

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

22oz bottle I split with my dad.

Appearance - Great color, a bit darker than I expected but very beautiful. Dark golden almost amber in color. Dad ended up pouring a bit too much head on it, he obviously didn't expect it to build up like it did but it all stayed nicely in my IPA glass.

Smell - Huge pine like hop aroma, more pine than I think I have ever smelled in a beer before. Some malts present but very subtle.

Taste - Those piney hops from the aroma make the strongest presence in the taste, followed by the sweetiness of the malt backbone. Seems like the malts are really just adding some sweetness and body, not a whole lot of flavor. Slight bit of citrusy hop taste on the finish, but only I picked this up.

Mouthfeel - Typical body that I have grown to expect from a double IPA. Crisp, refreshing. Not overly huge in body, just right for my tastes.

Drinkability - I found this to be one of the most drinkable DIPA's I have ever had and one of the best new to me beers I have tasted in a long time. Hard to believe its 9% as it went down with ease.

We both loved it.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

22 oz. bottle, label states 9% ABV. Pours a clear copper color, thick fluffy off-white head. Great head retention. Aroma is piney, orange, and some lemons. Good caramel malt flavor, which hold its own, despite the great amount of hop bitterness. Flavors are very much like the aroma, pine, lemon, orange. Good body, and a nice soft carbonation. Great patches of sticky lace on the sides of the glass. Finishes dry. Alcohol seems pretty well hidden until it warms. Very solid.

4.73/5  rDev +15.9%

Twelve ounce bottle received today in trade from BitterBrian. Chilled for approximately three hours in the fridge. Poured while still soaked from cutting the grass.

A- Darker than other DIPAS I've sampled. Had to find a south facing window to see through it. Beautiful color. very little head, almost no lacing in my Duvel tulip.

S- From the bottle neck, very little. Once poured though, a blast of piney essence. Very reminiscent of DFH 90'. Can't wait for the first taste.

T- WOW! This is exactly what I had hoped for. A soild blast of hop heaven. Spread quickly across the palate with no bitterness to speak of. A little oilier than I've encountered with other offerings.

M- As above, filled the mouth in a hurry. Different after taste than any DIPA I've had to date. I am not yet well schooled enough as to what to attribute this. Simcoe hops??

D- This would be without fail the replacement for DFH 90' if I could get my hands on enough 12 oz'ers to stock my shelves. Far and away indicating the most "multiple" drinkability of any DIPA to pass through my gullet.

Thanks Brian! ...now, where to get a few cases????

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

$4.99 for a 22 oz bottle at the Dilly Deli in Cincinnati. This pours a clear amber body with a huge three finger, offwhite head that proves quite sturdy. Retention is excellent, and patch lacing is massive and pitting.

Aroma begins with a burst of fresh pine needles, followed by mandarin orange and a hint of grapefruit. A hint of caramel is fleeting.

Mouthfeel is medium full bodied, slick and oily with hop resin. Carbonation is aptly moderate.

Taste is dry and bitter with an enormous Simcoe hops presence. Pine cone is dominant, with bitter mandarin orange underneath. Just a hint of malt character here. Very resinous with hops. Middle and finish are unrelenting with hops bitterness.

Just what the hop doctor ordered. More malt presence would have added some needed balance, but if you're in the mood for Simcoe hops this is the poultice.

4.26/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours deep amber, with a sticky, fluffy head. Aroma is good, piney, soft. Taste is outstanding. Not over-the-top hop. Nice, slight pine notes. Resiny. Mouthfeel is good, alcohol is well hidden. Very drinkable, thank goodness for Imstillthegman and BIF 33 for the chance to try this!

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours an amber to red in color with a large tan head that dissipates slowly to a thin layer which leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. Grassy and sweet citrusy hop aromas, nothing overpowing in the nose. Some bitter grapefruit and sweet maltiness in the taste with a slightly spicy bitterness in the finish and a major alcohol presence. Mouthfeel is creamy but lighter in body than I expected. The hop aroma and taste are nice but not huge, a little understated compared to others in the DIPA category. The alcohol on the other hand is quite large, at times it was not as noticeable, at other times I found myself wishing for more maltiness to balance/hide it a bit more.

Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.