Double Simcoe IPA | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA
Liked This Beer
4.06 w/ 3,239 ratings
Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
weyerbacher.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.

Added by yen157 on 05-05-2006

Liked:
4.06/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,239 |  Reviews: 1,364
3.77/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was excited about tasting the Simcoe hops. As soon as I took the wire cage off the bottle, the hops came flying right out of the bottle. I loved the smell, the bouquet. My first sip , I tasted the hops and a good amount of citrus.
At first I was a bit disappointed, the second sip, no different, but then after the 3rd and 4th sips, it started to grow on me.
As my glass was emptying, I could detect more and or the citrus.
My only complaint was that the beer was dull in my mouth, even with the strong hops, nothing came out exciting any part of my tongue.

I will try this again to see if I have any changed feelings.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from bomber into dimpled mug. Pours a fairly hazy, deep amber body. Average sized, dense, creamy, ultra fine tan head. Aroma is like a handful of hops. Big Simcoe flavor - pine, citrus and some tropical fruit/mango. Zero malt aroma, but the hops are supposed the be the showcase here. Huge hop flavor. More pine and the aforementioned fruit - both come through in spades. Chewy caramel malt provides the requisite sweetness so that the hops can really shine through. Though the flavors are big, they don't shred aggressively like some DIPAs. Full bodied, average carbonation, lightly sticky palate. Fairly sweet up front, but it dries out considerably. Big bitter (though not harsh) hop finish.

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a: pours a cloudy orange color with about a half inch of head that disappears quickly leaving a good amount of lacing around the top of the beer and edge of the glass

s: piny citrus hop bitterness balanced nicely with sweet caramel malts. The alcohol is present in the nose

t: piny hop bitterness with caramel malt sweetness. the piny hop bitterness is what lingers. This is a nicely balanced beer. Alcohol is present in the flavor

m: medium bodied beer with good carbonation

overall, this is a really nice beer

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Served on cask at Al's of Hampden into a nonic pint.

A - Pours hazy orange with a half finger tall white head, dissipating down to a thick film, leaving thick sheets of lacing down the glass.

S - Muted simcoe hop bitterness mixed with lightly toasted caramel malt and a good bit of booze. Could best be described as a 50-50 mix of sugary sweetness and muted hop bitterness. Not very good.

T - Where did all those simcoe hops go? Muted piney hops up front becoming enveloped quickly by a mix of caramel sweetness and strong booze. Finish is bitter but it fades very quickly leaving plenty of lingering sweetness. I am not sure what happened with this one but it was definitely off. I was not a fan.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderately low carbonation. Nice creamy feel with a bit of over the top sweetness in the finish.

D - This one was one and done. I usually enjoy double simcoe but this one was just off. I am not sure if it was old or just off but it was not normal that is for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a dark golden caramel color into a tulip glass. Off white/caramel head that sticks around for a bit w/ great lacing. The smell is great, very complex w/ malt and many citrus smells involved- pineapple, orange, etc... Very sweet smell, but the malt tempers that a bit. Very smooth smelling as well. The taste is out of this world. Big malt, big flavors, and a great aftertaste that lingers what seems like forever. This is impressive. Mouthfeel is chewy, smooth and delicious. I can't imagine this particular beer getting any better than it is. World Class all the way- Cheers!

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Vintage:

Serving Type: 12 oz bottle poured into a Tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark copper color that is much darker towards the middle. A very thickn foamy head that is slow to disappear. Bubble galore!

S: Before I can even get the glass to my nose I can smell, sweet, citrus hops along with a balancing malt presence.

T: Actually, it's more of a piney-hop taste which is quickly subdued by the malts. A slight bitter finish that lingers on the tongue for just a bit.

M: A very smooth medium body beer with just the right amount of carbonation.

D: A solid Imperial IPA that is strong but not obvisouly strong. Too bad they do not distribute to IL!

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a hazy amber color. Good head to it- the smell is citrus and hops...always a good combination. Smells a big reminiscent of the fabled Hopslam.

Overall a good taste. You still get a bit of a citrus/grapefruit end to it. But I like grapefruit so no complaints here. Maybe not as clean of a finish as Hopslam, but I feel as if that beer is on another level to beers of that style.

I thoroughly enjoy this beer. I recommend it to any and all HopHeads.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Nice hazy brown amber color with a sticky inch of foamy white head

S - Strong hops on the nose. Smells of moderate citrus, and a bit of grapefruit hops.

T - Unexpected malt base balances most hop bitterness with a slight pine in the aftertaste. Finishes rather sweet and not cloying with sweet caramel malts. Not as much "punch" of hops as expected.

M - For 9 percent it really was smooth and almost creamy with a medium body at best.

D - I would consider getting it again if supplied at my local shop. Not sure of the age but I did get it in my mixed sixer for 10.99 and that's pretty good for such a hoppy brew. Still expected more hops truthfully. Nice!

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Another gift from vapodge! Great guy that one!

A- Cloudy copper body, foamy, sticky head

S- Piney and floral hops. Nice and hoppy

T- Nice piney hops coat the mouth off the bat. Sweet malts come through and citrusy hops finish

M- Medium body and hops resin coat the mouth. Good level of carbonation for style

D- Solid IPA and I will certainly return to this one if offered

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

A: beautiful, hoppy head; cloudy, copper orange; great lacing
S: rosy, floral
T: very rich DIPA, dominated by this particular strain of hops, noted for its punch up front and its smooth mellowing in the aftertaste; fantastic for drawing out along a thinking session
M: very even in the mouth

One fantastic beer.

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Weyerbacher double simcoe IPA

Pours a deep amber brown with a huge, pale white head that looks like it has been glued to side of my glass. There is a fiery burst of orange that comes through the glass as this brew is held up to light. The head reminds me of root beer foam.

Smells like sweet flowers with a pretty strong malt backbone. Once I get past the strong floral notes, there is some detection of pine and maybe some earthy notes. A lot of pineapple iis present.

My first response to this beer is spicy. It tastes alot like Belgium tripple, and the spice is almost overpowering. I am not picking up on a lot of the floral tastes I picked up in the nose, but alot of spice, and alot of lingering bitterness in the aftertaste, as well as some mild pineapple. I wouldn't call this beer bad, but it reminds me of the experience when you are expecting a glass of milk, and it ends up being water. There is a surprising amount of malt presence in the beer, and even though I know the beer is relatively fresh (it was bottled within a month), but the hop profile is really weak.

For a pretty big ABV, this beer drinks pretty well, but the amount of spice that is present would not make me want to drink more than 1 in a night, or possibly ever again.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in a Sierra Nevada pint glass.

A: Pours a nice amber red with a nice head. There's some cloudiness and particulates, perhaps from the hops or yeast, either way it looks like a good IPA

S: Not super strong, but definitely a balanced aroma of Simcoe hops (what a shocker!).

T: IBU's are not too overpowering. Tastes like a hoppy flower, basically like liquid Simcoe hops if you've smelled them. About what I expected, but a bit more subtle.

M: Very smooth for an IPA. I could feel it lingering for a whlie after each sip. Definitely the right body for an IPA.

D: For 9% alcohol, this is very drinkable. Sometimes IIPA's can go a bit crazy on the bitterness (in my opinion at least) but this one is very nice and goes down very easy.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark with orange tinges around the edges and where the light catches a break while running through the glass. Generous foam head that applauses for about two to three minutes before taking its seat again, taking up a thin residency above the beer.

S - Definetely a nice pine hop aroma coming up to the nose with a decent malty backbone. Once past the initial pine sensation, a more floral presence takes hold.

T - Much like the nose, pine hop goodness takes hold but fades away to the malty backdrop much quicker than it does in the nose. Never did get much more than that here.

M - Medium carbonation with a touch of a sticky film on the tongue that accompanies an almost non-existent after taste

I did enjoy this, but I think I was expecting something a bit more vibrant than what i got. Maybe an alcohol fueled hop bomb, but it wasn't quite there. Maybe lower expectations would have made me feel overwhelmed.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip

A - dark & cloudy amber; nice head with good retention and lacing

S - not super hoppy, but that Simcoe goodness is definitely there; smells sweeter as time goes on

T - pretty darn malty for a DIPA; only exclusively Simcoe beer I've had -- normal for hops to be somewhat subdued? Alcohol present but not overpowering.

M - fairly good body -- pretty substantial; low level of carbonation seems right for this given the malt presence

D - much more balanced than other DIPAs I've had -- not what I'd go for when in a super-hoppy mood, but when I don't want the buds destroyed this is an excellent choice

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

I had this on cask at Al's of Hampden -served cask temp in a Nonic.

The color is ruddy bordering on bronze and hazed with thin cream cap w/ average sized bead. No lace sticks. The smell is mild with hop scents not that apparent -more or less a fruity ale smell -perhaps some floral and grapefruit but mainly a strong alcohol aroma overshadows these odors. The balance is like this: alcohol and hops with malt and bitter finish w/ drying and astringent qualities - the slight caramel sweetness equal to the moderate acidity and slight spice -the alcohol seems to become higher as it warms with drying astringent quality.

The Imperial IPA on cask is substandard -moderate hoppiness up front which succumbs to a toasted malt and alcohol flavor w/ bitter boozy finish. A middle of the road Imperial IPA on cask it might be better in the bottle or on tap, but I haven't tried those formats in a while. I wasn't sure what to expect but I would say avoid this on cask based on this experience. The cask sacrifices hop juiciness for alcohol and astringency-difficult to enjoy more than half a glass of let alone 14 ounces.

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving type: 750 ml brown bottle and 12 oz. brown bottle

BACKGROUND INFO/SUMMARY
So this is actually a review of two delightful beers. The first was a bottle of the unfiltered version, specially qualified by being cellared for two years by my buddy Tom (ArchivalBeer)--thanks for that one man! (...Not to mention the amazing peat bomb that is Mikkeller Black Tie, and the Long Trail Imperial Porter...a nice evening!) The second beer I'm reviewing here is a fresh bottle I picked up today because the one we had last night was so different from my memory of the Double Simcoe. This was a beer I'd already had and thoroughly enjoyed many times, so it was enlightening not only to sit down for a review, but moreover to see how intriguing a strong and hoppy IPA can be after aging for two years. I now officially naysay those who would warn against cellaring hoppy IPAs.

Appearance:
With both versions, tawny light caramel brown with a head that starts around 2 fingers and reduces to a substantial film on top of the beer. No significant lacing, but great head retention, as that half-finger of foam isn't going anywhere.

Smell:
The nose of the aged, unfiltered version was dominated by an enticing and enchanting bleu cheese aroma that is all but completely absent in the fresh version. With the fresh, filtered version, the nose is floral and fruity, with a bit of dry, unripe pineapple from the hops, with some pine resin floating on top. Hops are up front, with no substantial malt scents poking through their freshness.

Taste:
The aged version was all pungent and super-ripe (almost caramelized) pineapple from the delectably matured flavinoids in the hops. This is what tipped me off that I needed to try the fresh version again--I didn't remember this pineapple note at all. Indeed, with the fresh version, hoppy bitterness--pine sap above all--slams the tongue up front. A bit of light, freshly baked white bread sweeps through, and is then quickly put to bed by deep, oily hop bitterness. The tongue is left coated in hop oil--not for everyone, but a powerful elixir.

Mouthfeel:
Light bodied and fairly juicy with relatively minimal carbonation in both cases.

Drinkability:
The fresh version is a go-to standard for an IPA/Double IPA from the east; I think it could stand up very well in that crowd. The aged version was a revelation, and makes me want to get serious about some cellar experiments--thanks again, Tom!

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Deep amber looking beer. It looks to be unfiltered thus it's cloudy appearance.
Pinky finger thick foamy head with average carbonation.
In my Chimay goblet thers is a nice central pillar of carbonation rising up to form a small foamy bloob.
Aroma is rich with hops, I'm guessing simcoe, floral and piney. Sweet caramel malts help to prop up the hop boquet.
Taste pretty much as it smells some up front hops citrus and pine resin above some sweet malt. Quite hoppy.
Has a thick mouthfeel feeling smooth and syrupy. A dry finish over lingering hop bitterness that last into the aftertaste.
Simcoe is well balanced and refreshing.

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Dark brown with slight retention,very thin cap but lacing nicely.

S: BANG, citrus explodes in mouth with some floral notes as well.

T: Great zesty citrus taste bites first thing in side the mouth, sweetness in the back of mouth from malts not subtle but well balanced front to back.

M: Medium bodied with a warming,and a slight mouth coating,slight metallic./

D: Definitly can drink a few and loved it with a baked salmon with sweet Thai chilli ansd lime, I truely believe it brin gs out the beast in this one,mmm.

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a hazy burnt orange, nice white head and sticky lacing. Smells slightly boozy with a blast of simcoe hops. Lots of orange aromas. Tastes a little better than it smells. I'm tasting alot of oranges and tangerines; bittersweet finish. There are also hints of malts, caramel, and toffee. Pretty malty DIPA. Mouthfeel is nice, creamy and smooth; not over carbonated. Drinkability isn't bad, alcohol isn't well masked and the simcoe isn't shy.

All around solid DIPA, but not my favorite. If you love simcoe hops, this is definitely a must try though.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: very nice almost a dark honey color to it. off white head, starts off very nice and fluffy, and settles into a nice thin cap on top. Also a bit of sediment in the glass, which I like. A nice amount of carbonation also. Also leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S: Bits of caramel, fresh cut pine, and a bit of malt, along with a unique one to me, a hint of almost peach. Grapefruit is also pretty prevalent to me. The hops are present in this brew, but they're not as upfront as many others. It mingles along with the other scents very pleasantly.

T: Hops come up front, very smooth, and not bitter in the typical sense of other IPAs. Caramel, and hints of grapefruit also mingle with the hops and malt. The malt comes very quickly, and wipes away the hops. There is a last quick reappearance of the hops as you swallow. This beer's 9%? The alcohol is pretty well hidden. I really had to hunt to find it.

M: Carbonation is sufficient. Not overwhelming, balances the beer out very nicely, for a very pleasant mouthfeel. Not thin, but not thick. Mouthfeel is about as right as it can be for me. Makes it very drinkable.

D: Goes down nice and easy, until you try to get up.

3.56/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint.

A: Very hazy and murky body, dark amber, brown color. Hear is off white, and does not last long. Very light carbonation.

S: All I get here is a malt profile, not much by way of hops for me.

T/M: Now I start to get some hop character, definitely get some pine and astringent flavors. However, I also get a real heavy malt character that for me is not making me like this beer. The malts are caramel and bready, but do not fit for me.

D: This is a medium body brew that is worth giving a shot, for me personally, I really don't like it. Something with the malt character puts it out of that high class DIPA standing.

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

this looks dirrrty..a darker unfiltered look..

smells like a somewhat well kept barn...malty..

mouthed - piney, bitter hops that go right to the tongue receptors...very alive this one is....upbeat...the malt is there but a background to the hops...this goes to the cheeks and stays there...

not bad....

When i poured this beer, it has a dark murky orange color body with a nice 2" white foamy head, which hangs around for a while. The aroma is of citrus and hops. The taste is of hops and has a nice bitter taste to it. It has a nice mouth feel and i think is very drinkable.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured a murky burnt orange/light brown with a nice finger of head that was light goldenrod in hue, lacing and retaining well. Citrusy, with hints of orange peel and earthiness atop a very sweet malt backbone. Appropriate bitterness, not very complex due to the single hop variety, with bready malts and a hint of booze. Medium-heavy feel to it, decent carbonation, and a bittersweet warming finish. A very inviting beer, even if not the most complex of DIPA's, it is very satisfying and goes down smoothly.

3.47/5  rDev -14.5%

A-slightly cloudy amber, thin cream colored head

S-sweet hops with a hint of vanilla. good strength

T-comes in with really bitter but sweet hops. Now this is going to sound insane...but something about this IPA reminds me of pot. I've never had pot before but i've smelled it many times and something in this beer's taste has that stale grassiness to it. it ends with a real striking bitterness

M-good medium carbonation but with a really dry finish

D-not a bad IPA for the long run but when there's such a vast selection of IPAs everywhere, this one just doesn't cut it

Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 84.5% out of 100 with 3,239 ratings