Double Simcoe IPA | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
weyerbacher.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.

Added by yen157 on 05-05-2006

Ratings: 3,237 |  Reviews: 1,363
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

My first Weyerbacher beer obtained from Arenbeer/MuttyD. Thanks a lot!

Cage and corked wine bottle with no best before date on bottle.

The Double Simcoe pours a golden orange color with a huge off white head that very slowly dwindles. The entire snifter is lined with lacing. Aroma is of yeast and hops. Some malt characteristics are notices. No fruit which is atypical for this style. Much more of the hop characteristics come through with the taste. A very well balanced brew with some caramel sweetness contrasting the bitter hops. This is a very smooth drinking DIPA. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and medium bodied. Drinkability is above average. The alcohol is well hidden with the great taste. Well done Weyerbacher. Looking forward to trying other brews and thanks again for allowing me to try this Arenbeer/MuttyD!

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at the Batdorf on 4/9/10.

Served in a pint glass, it appears a hazy amber color with a yellow stained head that is very creamy and retains quite well. Lacing is a solid curtain all around the glass. Aroma is a piney, citrus monster that is showcasing the simcoe hops. Taste is of course a monsterous amount of bitterness upfront that eases into some of the hop flavors such as citrus, pine and a bit of a fruity/floral aspect as well. There is a minimal amount of malt sweetness that provides some support throughout this medium to heavy bodied beer. The alcohol is evident in flavor and is accented by a mild amount of carbonation. Finish is somewhat oil-like with the hop bitterness lingering in the mouth long after a sip is taken. A little more malt character would have gone a long way here but it is just a shadow in this beer.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a cloudy orange/brown color with a decent tan head. Head falls to a minimal one. Decent lace.

Aroma is of oily, floral hops.

Yep tastes like hops. Rather nice bold taste with a nice caramel malt background to give it good balance.

Slick oily mouthfeel. Medium bodied with a slight bite.

Nice IPA. Bold and fun to drink.

3.82/5  rDev -6.4%

Glass - Sam Adams pint

A - deep coppery color with a huge tan head.

S - lots of citrusy hops and a toasty malt aroma in the background.

T - taste is basicly the smell but more intense. Malts are more toasty and the hops are more citrusy.

M - medium-full bodied medium carb.

D - I did not relize this was a 9% abv brew until I was done
with it. No alcohol presance at all. A nicely done DIPA.

3.72/5  rDev -8.8%

Received as an extra in a trade from Bamadog, thanks again for the sampling of Weyerbacher beers. I looked everywhere for a best by or bottled on date but couldn't find one, I assume this is relatively fresh. I guess one advantage to this one is its a good way for a beer drinker to figure out what Simcoe hops take like, as they are the only hops present.

Pours copper/orange with a small off white head. Smells like (simcoe) hops and actually with a lot of a burnt brown sugar malty backbone. I would describe the taste the exact same way. The hops are in the forefront but there is a surprisingly strong caramel malt backbone. Blindfolded I would probably call this a fresh barleywine instead of a DIPA. Maybe I'm splitting hairs a little bit. Anyways the taste doesn't quite work for me, if it were a fresh barleywine I would say it needs to be aged for a while to cool off a bit. Borders on boozy at times. Mouthfeel is sticky and medium bodied, warming. Drinkability is ok, but I would move on to something else after one of these.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had this at Eulogy bar in Philly. Poured a dark reddish brown into a tulip with a serious cream colored foam head. Smell was sweet and bready malts, then oily hops. Taste was similar, sweet up front then very bitter in the finish. Very complex, very good IPA, definitely worth trying.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a fully hazed, dull brownish amber body underneath a lovely two-finger head of rich, creamy tan foam; great retention and huge amounts of lace. The head is perfect, but the body doesn't do much for me, especially as an example of a DIPA.

S: Straightforward simcoe hop aroma: lots of pine and grapefruit, with a bit of cattiness. Some light caramel malt notes come through as well, but this one is definitely all about the hops.

T: Far more balanced than the nose, and here that strikes me as a good thing. Rich, sweet caramel malt melds beautifully with the citrus hops at first, with the pine and extreme bitterness showing up on the finish. The aftertaste is fairly astringent, but not horrendously so. Overall, this is an extremely tasty hopbomb.

M: Smooth medium body with lots of smooth, soft carbonation. Very nice.

D: The alcohol is pretty well hidden, but the astringency doesn't help on this front. Not bad, though.

Notes: My wife got me this bottle as part of a mixed 6-pack Christmas present - thanks, sweetheart. I don't know how I managed to let it sit in the back of the fridge so long, but I'm pleased to report that the hops were still definitely there. While certainly not my favorite DIPA (as much as I love simcoe, I prefer it in a blend, rather than on its own), this one is always a safe bet.

Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

A: The color of burnt caramel, thick creamy head, lots of active carbonation visible in the beer, tons of sticky lacing rings down the side of the glass - 4.25, S: Strong earthy aromas, slightly floral, hint of wood on the nose, subtle honeysuckle-like sweetness - 4.25, T: Nice medium hop bite, grapefruit and pine both come through on the palate, very delicate honey and caramel sugariness, ever so faint oak to the flavor, noticeable alcohol, ground dates, I'll grant Double Simcoe the IPA status but struggle to see it climbing into the ranks as a double IPA - 4.00, M: Slightly syrupy and sticky - 4.00, A solid beer all around, always fun to have a beer that showcases a single hop, one I have that repeatedly enjoyed and that I will continue to enjoy - 4.50

4.08/5  rDev 0%

A: Very hazy, sunset orange hue with a huge whipped head and impressive staying power.

S: Big Simcoe hop aroma with a very present malt profile as well.

T: Pretty tasty stuff. Slightly sweet and sticky, this beer goes down smoothly. Double Simcoe IPA is pretty straight forward. There is one big hop aroma/taste, and a nice malt/hop balance. The finish is sticky and clings to your teeth and gums, with moderate bitterness, and little, if any astringency.

M: ABV disguised pretty well. Very smooth.

D: I'd happily drink this again, though I prefer a hoppier DIPA, with more hop diversity and a smaller malt bill.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Hazy amber body with a huge fluffy head. There was a ton of sticky lacing left down the sides.

Unmistakable pine and resin scent. There's light citrus sweetness in there, too, but it's strangled out by the pine.

Taste mimics smell and it's pine all the way through. Every now and then there is a burst of grapefruit, but then back to chewing on pine needles. The malt is ever-so-light. Oh yeah, it's bitter.

Mouthfeel is on the light side, oily, and dry. Finish is mouth-puckering.

This is fun to drink, but a palate crusher. Only a couple could be consumed in one sitting without causing considerable palate damage.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Freshly filled grower poured into a tulip...a wonderful thing

After two fresh drafts I could not help myself from filling growler conveniently empty and clean in my car. Thick off white head dissipates quickly and coats the glass I wouldnt even call this lacing more like a coat of mortar. A hazy red ale with highlights of orange is putting out some sweet aromas of grapefruit cat piss booze and pine. I know how wonderful it smells and the taste matches to boot. 9% ABV hides behind the bitterness of the Simcoe hops. The hops are held up from stealing the entire show with the alcohol and sweet grain taste. This is a hop bomb and a DIPA but, not one aspect makes this ale it is the balance of the whole enchilada.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle poured into a stemmed tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, opaque brown/amber. Sort of looks like iced tea to be honest. Nice 1/4" off white foam head.

Smell: Hops and booze dominate. Slight malty sweetness.

Taste: Simcoe hops give it a mostly piney hop bitterness with a touch of citrus.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation level is just right. Crisp and clean. Very drinkable.

a- 12 oz bottle poured into a snifter, nearly a finger of head that falls to an even layer of lace, hazy deep chesnut color, head waves remain on the glass.

s- complex nose - deep caramel, pineapple, some slight dryness, pine.

t- pineapple, every so slight huff of warming, sappy pine, some nice bitterness, earthy sweetness.

m- medium bodied with nice slickness.

d- i've been really looking forward to trying this beer for a long while, i was sad to find that it really didn't stand up to my expectations, it was tasty - just didn't stand out as spectactular or anything like that.

3.32/5  rDev -18.6%

A: Very cloudy dark copper color. Almost like a natural apple cider color. Very thick consistency on the pour(like cider). Moderate lacing.

S: Aroma is almost too complex. So many different scents that include pine, fresh-cut grass, some floral and citrus smells. Almost like a compost pile though.

T&M: Smooth at first and very thick as the pour indicated. The smoothness quickly fades to an abrasive piney-grapefruit, citrus flavor. Caramel sweetness fades to hoppy bitter taste.
Heavy bodied with a soapy carbonation.

Not a favorite of mine in this category. Too many dark fruity flavors in this. It's like a Belgian dubel.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%

Well, I think its almost a crime to post after the last one but here goes...

A: Poured a brown/orange with one finger head dissipating to a light froth over the surace, left lacing all around the glass.

S: I get the earthy/woodsy aroma of Simcoe, nothing else too striking.

T: PINE WOW, leads way to a oak citrus woodsy taste, some alcohol in there too :)

M: refreshing finish, dry and hoppy on the back of the tongue

D: Highly drinkinkable, I really enjoy beers that are hoppy and strong so I could drink of few of these. The $$$ would be whats limiting.

3.59/5  rDev -12%

I was on the john, thinking about opening you. You have one of those fancy cork tops with a gold metal puller, usually reserved for champagne or made-to-look-fancy Belgians.

But you're a $6.99 IPA. I must say I am confused. This isn't what a California-Style Double or Imperial looks like usually; but this is exactly why I went back after I walked away and put you in my basket. I wanted to know you.

You are made of Simcoe hops, from my lovely home; the great Pacific Northwest. I am investigating a murder here. The murder of Laura Palmer.

You are ninety-percent head on the first pour, but since it's bottle conditioned, I shouldn't be surprised. Head pours out of you and onto my table. You aren't at the lick-off-the-table level...yet.

What emerges from the head is a ruby ale, similar to the shoes Audrey Horne changes into at her locker. Sometimes, as sherrif, I wish I could drink beer all the time, instead of enjoying the coffee and doughnuts and the company of Josie Packard.

You are actually still spouting foam. I stick in an oily digit to relieve you. You taste like a pine tree or fir tips from the back of my truck. You have a dry bitter aftertaste - the hops aren't overly present either here or in my mouth. They are more present on the bottle.

You're the kid who said he could ball with the best, and when it came to throw down, played hard for a few possessions, not impressing anyone but not disapointing. Then you go down with an ankle injury, and leave us mystified, like you were faking the whole time. There is a brief light...but mostly a long darkness.

I sit in my truck with Cooper, waiting for something to happen outside of the Roadhouse. You smell like peppermint and oak, but I can't identify smells very well, from years of opening up paint cans and inhaling the fumes in the backroom at the hardware store. "Smell those trees!" Cooper says. But I can't. Because of the paint fumes.

You look more like a dark amber posturing as an IPA. But then, the hops start to kick in at the bottom of the bottle. Perhaps the conditioning had them sink. I don't know. I want to drink more of you! There are the hops! They live!

I hear sirens. Cooper offers to follow the sounds. We take off. I spill some beer. And now, I am disappointed; when before I don't know how I would have felt. I still don't know if it's adequate to call you a Double. You're more of a Strong Single.

I thought you were thin and wafery like Donna Hayward. A little floral, the type of girl who doesn't like to get thrown around or throw me around. But no, you pack a punch. You at first disappoint me, but when I get to the bottom of the bottle I am...aroused. Perhaps I will see you at One Eyed Jack's. Until then...

2.45/5  rDev -40%

A= pours a hazy deep amber color. Pushing what I would call brown. The head is minimal just a thin skin on top of the beer. No lacing is there and there isn't even much retention on the skin of a head. Somewhat dissapointing.

S= Piney hops. Not nearly as pungent as most IPAs I stick my nose into. I get a little citrus but other than a little hops there isn't much to smell from this beer.

T= The taste is different I guess. Still not impressed with this beer. Tastes hoppy sure but there is also a little bit of a glass taste to it. I would describe it as a minerally taste I guess. The hops that are highlighted aren't the best tasting hops in my opinion. Sort of old tasting. Bitter and piney but not nearly juicy and fresh enough tasting. Minerally as hell.

M= Low carbonation. really low carbonation. Slick and coating. Not bad at all I actually prefer a lower carbed IPA.

D= Not that great. Taste and smell aren't very good. Not a great beer and I'm not sure why it recieves so much praise.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks to Lerxst for the trade!

I often don't know what to do with appearance ratings...most of the beers I've had have looked completely unappealing nor particularly "exceptional," but this is one the most visually appealing beers I've had. Pours rich ruby/amber. Shimmers in the light with a 2 finger fluffy very light tan head. Lacing is super sticky leavings strands behind even after finishing the bottle.

The smell is piney, citrusy, and spicy. It's almost all hops, but there's a hint of caramel sweetness. Pretty complex hop profile considering there's only one hop variety. Tropical and lovely.

The taste brings out a lot more caramel sweetness. Hops are definitely still present, but there's a lot of sweetness. There's a nice slow punch of bitterness that starts midway and finishes the flavor profile.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly thick and velvety. Carbonation is relatively low but provides a nice tinge. The finish is sticky and resiny.

Very drinkable for the ABV, but it is a bit sweeter than I thought it would be.

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a deep ruby, amber red with 1 finger of head. Moderate lacing.

S: A hop bomb under the nose. Piney, citrusy, and maybe a little pineapple all here. Very sweet - a joy to smell.

T: The pine hops continue in the taste. Very bitter upfront, with just enough malt to clean up each sip. Great display of the simcoe hops. All pine - tangy and bitter with a semi-balance of malt.

M: The hops stick to your tastebuds as expected. A little bit on the thin side but still enjoyable. Moderate carbonation.

D: A real hop treasure. Could probably sip through a few of these on a weekend. Second time I've bought some of these and will be looking for more anytime I can get my hands on it.

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a gorgeous dark caramel color. Cloudy but is bottle conditioned so to be expected.

S- Beautiful pine and malt floral aroma. Exactly what I would expect from a beer named after a hop variety. As the beer warms you get a sweet fruit smell that matches the malt characters. Im also getting a bit of the 9% ABV as it warms as well which just reminds you this is definitely a DIPA.

T - The taste is of very ripe grapefruit with a very solid malt backbone to the beer. This is one of those beers that changes a bit as it get warmer. As it gets closer to room temp I am tasting a sweeter malt base with a light grapefruit flavor. This is an amazing beer that I could see myself drinking in cool summer nights or in the deepest coldest parts of winter with the warming alcohol taste.

M - Mild carbonation, a solid full malt feel that keeps on going after the beer is gone. A very solid and committed beer.

D - Another great year-round beer from Weyerbacher. While not a daily drinker based on the 9% abv this beer stands out as a solid weekend session beer. Complex, yet simple at the same time Double SImcoe will be sure to leave an impression on your DIPA taste buds. I will certainly be seeking this beer out again.

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This pours a beautiful dark caramel color, almost like a black and tan. It has a nice even head and thick lacing. It has a nice pine scent to it, just a hint of bitterness in the smell. This is a great IPA. The bitter hop up front is balanced with just a hint of sweet malt on the back end. You can feel the alcohol kick on this which lowers the drinkability a little bit. Recommended!

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

Chilled and poured into a snifter

A- Not an overly impressive looking beer when you first pour it, darker orange brown color with a small fluffy tan head that sticks around for a good amount of time. There are a few streams of carbonation coming from the bottom of the glass, patches of foam, and some nice lacing along the sides of he glass.

S- The citrus smell of the hops is what hits your nose first and is most pronounced. Some pale malt and pine in the background once you get past the citrus hops.

T- The citrus orange flavor is in full effect when you first sip this beer, followed by a heavy dose of pine and sweet malts to finish it out.

M- persistent carbonation, smooth mouthfeel. The finish and aftertaste is pretty long and hoppy

D- I really enjoyed this beer. Its something different, and something I'm sure I'll come back to in the future. Highly drinkable besides the high ABV

3.82/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Amber-Brown-Red, pretty dark for an IPA. Thin, maybe one finger head. The beer is pretty hazy, much more than it needs to be. This is NOT an impressive looking beer.

S: Sweet? Almost a milk-chocolate-with-fruit sort of smell. There's a lot going on here. Hops are strong, but so is malt. Very...odd. Sort of too much going on perhaps for me. Sort of pile all this in the bottle and it'll be good!

T: Taste is sort of same as smell, though hops come out more. And the malt is more roasted than I got in the smell. Really quite cacao-like. I think it's the combination of roast and bitter. Very interesting, just not quite sure it's IIPA? I dunno, I think I would have thrown this into strong ale or even barleywine if I was them.

M: Mouthfeel is medium, balanced between the creamy malt and sharper hops.

3.87/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a tumbler type of IPA glass. The color is darker than normal IPAs with a cloudy consistency. The smell of alcohol masks the hops, but they still show through.

Personally I like the taste of the simcoe hops so I enjoy this beer, but it is a bit rough around the edges. I think this beer is nice one to drink once in a while, but I think the key is drinking it fresh and enjoying the contrast of the simcoe with a regular type hopped IPA.

Thanks to cavie for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours orange copper with an off-white head. The aroma is resiny hops with some pine and grapefruit. The flavor is very hoppy, with resin, orange and grapefruit notes as well as a nice light malt backbone. Medium carbonation and mouthfeel.

Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.