Double Simcoe IPA | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA
Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Brewed using 100% Simcoe Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.

Added by yen157 on 05-05-2006

Ratings: 3,262 |  Reviews: 1,368
4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Orange-ish coloration, decent head, with nice lacing. Slightly opaque.

S: Quite the hop character. Nice to find out exactly what simcoe hops smell like. Boozy under layer with a nice malt backbone.

T: Bitter, boozy, and ballsy. The hop character is definitely present. Had this on tap once, and this bottle definitely has more hop character. There's some malt to keep this in line, but definitely is leaning towards the hoppy side. The booze has become much more present as it warms. Not overwhelmingly so though.

M: Nice carbonation. Goes down smoothly. Nice wet finish, but leaves me wanting more.

General: Definitely a tasty brew. Would get it again. Don't know how well it'd do with age in a bottle, but fresh, this is a great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Amberish/Brown in color with a nice hop haze. Very nice head retention.

S: Simcoe all the way.

T: Balanced between malt and hops, but simcoe comes though nicely.

M: Medium body with a nice bitterness and beautiful simcoe flavor. Flavorful finish.

D: I really enjoy simcoe alot. An essential part to any DIPA/IPA nowadays IMO. I could make this a session beer if I could get it regularly.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From notes. Frothy white head on top of deep copper, very active beer. Mostly clear with a bit of yeast haze, good retention, thick lacing. SMELL citrus fruity hop aroma blends beautifully with a bold malty base. Delicious and inviting. Caramel malty comes on late. Has legs. TASTE Rich caramel malty base comes thru as clearly as the hops, and with exceptional balance. A subdued yet sharp bitterness up front fades gradually while fruity and floral hops notes blend with malty sweet flavors. Barely noticeable booze. Not exceptionally complex but wicked smooth and balanced. Some mild bitterness lingers. FEEL thick, rich texture. Full bodied and luxurious. Some warming, dryness in the fairly clean finish. Easy drinking for a big sipper. A great double IPA. And for someone loyal to west coast IPA, I am happy to report that the east is making some pretty kick ass ones as well.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, Maryland (12/08/09) into a goblet at the appropriate temperature.

A: Pours a glowing hazy dark shade of gold with an orange hue capped off with an off-white head measuring 1 finger.

S: An intense nose of an oily simcoe hop jump out at first with a heavy degree of bitterness. In the background is a semi-sweet malt with notes of caramel and toffee.

T: Wow, this is an intensely hopped yet malt DIPA with incredible flavor. The simcoe hops provide the foundation and supply the palate with a bitter, yet never harsh, piney hop with minute layers of citrus and a floral character. The malt is definitely present providing some balance to this hopbomb with traces of caramel and toffee. This was certainly a farily fresh keg, but I have had fresher. The fresher, the better for this beer.

M: Full-bodied and oily with a slick mouthfeel with a moderate carbonation and a intense amount of bitterness that is pleasant to hop lovers.

D: Hopheads will find this beer quite drinkable, but others will have some trouble with it. the 9% abv. is hidden quite well though.

Overall I find this beer to be one of the best uses of simcoe hops out there. Highly Recommended.

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%

In conclusion this beer smells and tastes like Simcoe hops...eerrr wait.

A: This is a really good looking DIPA, the color is of a dark autumn sunset and the leaden yeast floats in it's murky body. The head has a lot of retention and initially was was a frothy latte like 7 cm. Carbonation slowly rising, blub blub. In addition to all of this it is laying lace down like a blanket on a fine summer picnic.

S: I imagine that I am smelling Simcoe hops: Earthy, viney, bitter, and musty. The hops seem to outshine the malt in this beer but in a pleasant way. I can smell a bit of alcohol peeking it's poopy head through the caramel/bready malt fortress.

T: This beer tastes sweet and syrupy while maintaining a great amount of bitterness that is big but not behemoth. The hops poke their heads out first in typical citrus fruit peel action followed by the malt avalanche. The malt is akin to the nose, sweet caramel and a hint of bread to it. This beer's finish presses down on the tongue.

M: Dis beer is rather big for a DIPA, definitely above medium-bodied. With the flavor profile it seems frothy and smooth. The carbonation is faint and adds to the enjoyability of the beer.

D: Pleasing to the eyes and tongue it is. I think the mouthfeel is spot on. I would choose some local options over this, but an enjoyable beer that will catch up to you, stealth ABV.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

A- Poured a hazy orangish brown that had a huge head dissipating to a nice lace on glass and skim on the top.

S- sweet citrus almost overpowering me upon opening this beer. I held the beer about 1 foot away and could smell it already. Simply exceptional smell coming through with floral hops and large amounts of citrus coming through.

T- Good bitter up front along with a nice sweet tone that leaves you with some slight bitterness. Citrus is all over this in terms of flavor but I have to say that the flavor here is fantastic for a double IPA. It doesn't burn like some of them out there.

M- Very thick and creamy. Nice.

D- High for such a high ABV beer. Just a fantastic Imperial IPA.

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Bought a single bottle from the Foodery in Philly. I remembered having a sample this past year at a beer festival which left me quite impressed.

A: Pours a brownish amber with reddish hues. Very nice head.

S: Hoppy, yet not pungent.

T: Spicy. Perhaps I haven't had too many beers with Simcoe hops, so the taste is quite new to me. Not quite sure I really like the balance between malt & hops - I think I would prefer a little more hop character.

M: Quite interesting. Has sort of a creamy IPA character & then you get the spice and tang from the Simcoes.

D: I'm still on the fence whether I could have more than one of these beers at a sitting. I'm thinking this is the kind of beer that may have to grow on you. It's quite an unusual taste, which is a good thing because it challenges your standards of what a quality beer really is.

I'll likely have to come back at a later time and revise my review. In the meantime, it's a quality craft brew worth trying out for those wondering just that.

Revised review (9/8/10):

Poured a bottle into my Golden Monkey snifter:

A: Pours a hazy amber color with somewhat off-white head that barely clings to the side of the glass. Lazy bubbles barely present through the haze.

S: Smells of a piney, evergreen hop aroma with hints of vanilla & wood. The hops are on full display here. Some sweet tasting malts are evident.

T & M: Sweet, caramel notes up front that taper off into a bubbly, frothy even tasting beer. Not as bitter as I would have originally thought it to be. Something like hints of honey peek through. Interesting brew. Leaves a sweet tasting bitterness aftertaste in your mouth long after you take a swig.

D: Decent offering. I could see myself having 1 or 2 in a siting, but not a brew I could drink time after time or as a session. Appears to me as a palate changer or something to change things up by.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

Produces a huge 4 finger thick light tan head, and has a very hazy, and copper colored body.

The aroma is very piney and lemony.

Not that I've had one in a while, but this is an utter hop bomb. Very oily, bitter, and rips the enamel off of my teeth.

Comparing this to anything, would be biting into an under ripe grapefruit to include the rind. This will thrash your palate.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

Not your typical DIPA, but a good one nonetheless from Weyerbacher.

A: Pours a copper color (completely unexpected) with a nice head and healthy lacing.

S: Now this is a healthy hop nose. I hate cracking into a DIPA that doesn't immediately stink up my whole apartment with hops...they should! There's just a huge hop nose here, can almost taste grapefruit just from smelling it.

T: I was a little surprised by the taste. The choice of hops gives this beer an extra kick...whether you like it is up to you. I've personally had better at this price point but the taste is very good nonetheless with a far more intense citrus character than I've gotten from most DIPA's. The appearance gives a clue about the fact that this is not a typical DIPA, and, well it's just hard for me to describe what that difference is, but it's easy for me to recommend this beer to try.

M: A little too much carbonation and an awkward mouthfeel that doesn't lend itself to much tasting before swallowing.

D: I've had far more drinkable DIPA's in my lifetime than this.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Presentation: No freshness date or description. Lots of advertising on the label. Served in a 12oz bottle into a standard glass.

A - Pours a very deep copper, almost brown with a thick foamy head that hangs around in a light caramel color, maybe more an off-white. A good lace to it that clings for a good 1-11/2 inches up the glass. Cloudy. A good balance of carbonation. Not too noticeable unless you stop and think about it.

S - VERY strong smell of citrus. Mostly grapefruit and tangerine. A more subtle hint of resin and pine. A little hint grass.

T - A very bitter first bite. Smooth and quite chewy. A dry, hoppy taste. The grapefruit really punches through with a dry, alcoholic aftertaste in the back of the throat.

M - Smooth and chewy with a bite to it. Thick and sticky aftertaste with a pine/hop resin taste to it. A little mint to it as well. You can feel it when you breath in through your nose after taking a drink.

D - A very good IPA IMO. Even though it is thick and has a high A.B.V. I instantly want another after finishing. Very drinkable. I will absolutely return to this.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Dark and hazy, ruby white head.

S: Definitely that sweet tropical fruit, simcoe hop smell, but not as pungent as I would like. There is also a sweet biscuity, malty smell.

T: I get the sweet tropical hop flavor, but I also get a quick tart citrus flavor..however I can't pick out exactly what it is. There is also a decent amount of malt flavor tk back up the hops. The finish is a tad bitter, but falls a little short, just like everything involved in the flavor. Maybe I got an older bottle...

M: Nice and smooth, medium bodied, with a decent amount of carbonation.

D: As I move through this beer, I had a feeling it could have been a bit fresher, either way, it was still enjoyable.

3.94/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a DFH Snifter

A: Huge 3+ finger creamy head. A murky red/brown color, almost cider like. Leaves a thick, lined lacing

S: Lots of pine but not the grapefruit that usually accompanies it. I get more of a passion fruit or cantaloupe smell. There's also a good malt presence.

T: Follows the smell. Pine and passion fruit. I detect some nutmeg as well. Very sweet tasting. Alcohol is also present.

M: A very creamy mouth feel with some bitterness on the back of the tongue. Good carbonation.

D: Good drinkability but a little on the boozy side. However, it's balanced well with the other flavors. This is on the sweeter side of the DIPA's I've had. That being said, will be trying this one again.

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from the bottle into my Brooklyn pint glass.

pours a ruby brown color with a half finger head. Head dissipates pretty quickly into a film around the edges and bubbles in the center.

Smells like grapefruit citrusy hops with some lemon zest in there.

Upon the first sip my mouth is attacked by bittering hops on the sides, yyyouch! They taste like concentrated grapefruit juice or some other bittering citrus. Very little malt in this one. This is definitely a hop bomb. As it warms, it becomes less harsh for some reason and the alcohol becomes a tad more apparent.

Mouthfeel is good as well. Just enough carbonation, medium to thick body. Drinkability is a little less than good but definitely above average.

Overall, I would say that this beer is almost too bitter for me. Sound crazy? Yeah, it's crazy to type. Not a bad beer but not my favorite either.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

This beer has been on my want list for some time but I recently discovered that it is sold in wisconsin, I never knew.

A- A cloudy, dirty rust red color beer. Off white one finger beige head. Leaves very nice lacing, and has great retention.

S- Hops of course, very fruity and citrus but not like grapefrut. Light toasted malt smell.

T- Not nearly as bitter or citrusy as I would expect from the smell. It's an overall nice smooth bitter flavor. I'm not a huge fan of the single hop IPA, at least not this beer. I don't know much about hops but it seems that mixing strains was working nicely, why fix it?

M- Smooth, thick. The mouthfeel reminds me of a cask beer.

D- Good beer, I always love an Imp. IPA, it's becoming hard to pick a favorite. This beer is good but I've had better. Worth a try though.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Pours full and thick, a superb dark amber-red colour, with an astonishingly full and thick head of yellow cream foam. lacing is excellent, and the head retention is superb. Body looks thick and heavy, the carbonation languid. This is a really excellent looking beer.

Ah, a delightful nose, redolent with unripe pineapple and citrus with sharper notes of pine and turpentine. There's also a pleasant caramel malt sweetness underpinning the fruity hop notes. If it's not as robust as the best IPAs I've had, it's still superbly balanced.

Taste delivers on what Simcoe promises, a long smooth and round bitterness, but without the harsh and grating grassy bitterness found in other varieties like Chinook. This is very clean, a little piney, and smooth all the way through the palate, although the bitterness is very pronounced and clear. I'd perhaps like a little bit more sweetness and body to complement the hops, but it's not essential when the hops aren't fighting to rip up your taste buds. Mouthfeel is clear and smooth - certainly no prickle - but lacking a little body as well.

Overall, a very drinkable IPA, and one that showcases Simcoe very nicely. It's not one that runs the gamut of the Double IPA range, but it does what it does well. There's a reason they put "Simcoe" (® and all) in the name of the beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz from Hoosick in Troy NY.

This is probably the best readily accessible DIPA around. Serious good looks, great lacing like that's all Weyerbacher cared about. Heavy hop aroma, and grapefruity taste which is unlike most other IPAs. This is the one to go to if that's what you're looking for. This hot damned hoppy malt bomb is one of the best things going. If you find it - try it. You will not be disappointed. I like strong beers and this made me a happy camper. I've never tried anything with Simcoe before, but I willl admit that this might be Weyerbacher's best offering aside from Blasphemy.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: Pours a thick straw yellow color with a tall and thick pure white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet malts, then a hugely hoppy aroma with piney hops being the most prevalent followed by citrus and then some floral and earthy tones.
T: Starts out with a sweet lightly toasted malt base followed very quickly by a big piney hop taste, then followed by citrus, then some earthy and floral flavors.
M: Very crisp, fresh, refreshing, perfect amount of carbonation. A bit hot, but not too bad.
D: Pretty drinkable considering the amount of alcohol in the beer and the amount of hops in it as well.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours muddy russet with big spongy tawny head that lumps and stays forever. Leather and stewed orange on the nose. Fruit compote malts with ginger juice, clove oil, and citrus bark. Long raw finish. Stingy and sticky, full, with some burn.

Dark and heavy IPA, not for the beginner.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Cloudy and read with a 3 finger head and good retention; average lacing

S: Pine presence is the strongest; there is also a subtle citrus and grapefruit aroma

T: Alcohol is strong/not really balanced enough; pine taste also comes off a bit much but there is a nice double IPA quality in the end--the hop presence helps try to balance out the high alcohol flavors

F: Pretty carbonated with medium body

D: The alcohol presence makes this beer almost too much; I like it and it's one of the better offerings from Weyerbacher but it becomes a bit much toward the end

This beer pours a cloudy bright red color. The head is a half an inch in height, and recedes slowly into nice lacing. The aroma is a sharp pine and grapefruit. It is a very non complex aroma. It is very aggressive though, and seems to work somewhat. The taste is just as aggressive as the aroma, but still lacks true complexity. It does have some nice, intense bitterness which I do enjoy. There is absolutely no malt character which, even in a DIPA, I still miss. The mouthfeel is full bodied with a smooth texture, and moderate carbonation. Overall, as I have already mentioned this beer lacks the complexity the a great DIPA must have, but it is still good nonetheless. I would certainly drink it again.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Hazy orange amber with a thick white head that lasted to the last drop
S - Huge citrusy simcoe hops everywhere with traces of a sweet maltyness
T - Starts off smooth and malty but bitters up quick with a strong pine flavor. In true east coast style the malt holds strong and supports the intense hop flavor
M - Creamy thick mouthfeel with subtle alcohol burn
D - Very delicious, but not something I would want to drink more of in one sitting - perfect sipper at 9%. I'm glad I have 3 more to look forward to this week.

Poured a cloudy dark orange color with good carbonation and a small white head. Nose is sweet, dry, citrus. Taste is hops up front and all the way through, citrus, earty, dry and some good malt body. Alcohol warming on mouthfeel and dry. Very good IPA

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

On-tap poured into 8oz glass.

A - Dark golden hazy color with medium head that dissipates slowly leaving slight lacing.

S - Wheat and grass along with hints of citrus and hops.

T - Pine and citrus that gets bitter quickly.

M - Medium bodied with decent carbonation.

D - Fairly drinkable but high in abv.

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%

12 oz bottle.

Appearance: Clear orange amber. Big rocky head. Some of the best lacing ever.

Smell: Surprising amount of sweet malt, but tons of huge citrus (grapefruit and orange) and slightly grassy hops. So sweet it smells almost like candy.

Taste: Bitter grapefruit is slightly astringent. The bite is nice. Its quite sweet, but very good. Not balanced of course, but the sweet helps to cut the insane hoppiness.

Mouthfeel: On the full side. Coating, a little oily and slick. Pretty creamy.

Drinkability: Its a delicious beer, with drinkability limited by the total assault on the palate and 9% abv. Delicious stuff, but its one and done. This is not supposed to be a session beer.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Poured a cloudy dark orangish/brown. Had a thick bone white head that lasted and tons of lacing all down the glass.

S - Obviously hoppy with a pungent earthy, grassy aroma at first. Transitions into a grapefruit and slight citral fragrance towards the end.

T - It is surprisingly smooth/mellow to start but shifts to bitter quickly. It had a mostly pine flavor with some lemon in the background as well. Has a long lasting alpha-acid aftertaste as well.

M/D - Medium body which is nice for a DIPA and the level of carbonation balances nicely with the body. It had just the slightest faint alcohol taste/burn in the aftertaste but gets masked quickly by the alpha acid.

I was expecting something different from a "hybrid" hop but maybe I was just building up my expectations too much. Overall it is a solid DIPA with both earthy and citrus notes.

Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.06 out of 5 with 3,262 ratings