Slam Dunkel | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Slam DunkelSlam Dunkel

Style: Weizenbock

Added by Risser09 on 07-15-2007

4.2

2.18/5  rDev -43.8%

a- bottle poured into a flute, murky deep chesnut brown coloring, very thin head dissipates quickly, active bubbling, neat label design.

s- potent, loads of dark fruits, it's almost like a kicked up, alcoholy cider. i'm getting lots of fruit, deep raspberry, brown sugar, fig.

t- whoa, this isn't playing around. this is slamming me alright! i'm getting loads of warming alcohol, intense malts, lots of yeast, and spicyness that finishes dry.

m- medium bodied.

d- i've gotta say that this isn't my thing. i think i need to come to terms that weizenbock just isn't my thing. this was a bit too intense for my palate and i hate to say that i drain poured this bad boy. i consider myself slammed..

2.31/5  rDev -40.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Bruery snifter.

Color is a muddled brown that's more transparent than I expected. Thin, off-white head with minimal lacing.

Smell is interesting - banana, some clove, sweetness, and a metallic, almost coppery odor.

Taste starts sweet, then moves into some light banana flavors and some mild spice. A bit of bitterness from the hops, but an unpleasant metallic flavor dominates the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is decent - creamy, but undercarbonated.

Overall this is a pretty mediocre beer. I'm comparing it to the delicious weizenbocks I had on my recent trip to Germany, and this beer is substantially lacking. I'm not sure where the metallic flavor comes from, but it totally kills this beer for me.

I love Weyerbacher, but I won't go out of my way to get this beer again in the future.

Cheers!

2.51/5  rDev -35.3%

Pours a ruddy brown with a tan colored creamy head that settles to a thin layer. Fairly cloudy and opaque barely letting light through. A bit like muddy water.

Smells of rotted fruit and syrup. Very sweet smelling, but off putting. A dash too much of spice and yeast attempt to make this appealing, but this one just doesn't smell right.

The flavor isn't as undesirable as the nose, but still a bit of a mess. Too sweet and the spices use don't meld well with the rest of the beer. Really seems like a confused beer. Caramel slaps you in the face and then the clove kicks you while you're down. Far too much clove.

Mouthfeel is medium with the alcohol content firming things up a bit. Slightly warming quality. Drinkability is hurt by the overwhelming sweetness and spice. This beer needs a tuneup. Usually I enjoy Weyerbacher, but not this time. Lacks the complexity and refinement of a well made Weizenbock.

2.52/5  rDev -35.1%

Just got back to school recently and found notes for this beer in my desk drawer. Originally drank and reviewed from the last release back in march of 09 if I am remembering the dates correctly.

A- Murky dark brown with a finger of tan head and some good lacing. Good looking beer, but it went down hill from here.

S- Very funky smell. Metallic and spicy tuna. I know tuna sounds weird but that's what it reminds me of. Some fruit and tons of clove. Not the best I've ever smelled.

T- Tons of clove, banana, yeast, a little sweet, dark fruit, spice, chocolate. The taste is decent but there are tons of flavors in this beer but they don't seem to fit together quite right.

M- Smooth, medium to full bodied with a long lasting spicy clove finish. Did i mention this beer had a lot of clove?

D- Not more than one of these at a time. Two was really pushing it.

I had a case of this and I'm not sure if I am crazy or not but each bottle tasted and smelled just a little different.

2.59/5  rDev -33.2%

I love me some Weizenbocks, so I'm looking forward to this test beer sent me by the inimitable UGADawgGuy.

Poured into a 19-ounce chalice at 45 degrees.

Slow pour yields a one-finger light-tan quickly-fading head over a hazy dark-chocolate body. Decent enough at first, though head is quickly gone, leaving no lacing.

Smell: hmmm, well, not so good. Wet cardboard is the first and most dominant aroma. Also present are dark chocolate, a bit of coffee, some sweet-ish malt, and a bit of grass. No banana, no wheaten crispiness, and only the tiniest hint of bubblegum.

Taste is pretty much like the aroma, though the hops are a bit more present. That wet cardboard thing is definitely in the front. Finish is pretty sour, but in a not-so-good way: seriously, this sour flavor reminds me of two-day arm-pit.

Mouthfeel is definitely the best thing this beer has going for it. Fairly round and full, with nice soft carbonation.

The alcohol is completely masked, so this *should* be pretty drinkable, but those aromas and flavors are just too off-putting.

As I compare this first sample with other reviews, I have to wonder whether I've gotten into a bad bottle. I've got another one, and I hope it's better than this one.

Edit, 4-19-2009. Second bottle was a good deal better (no sourness, no cardboard flavor), so I'm changing my numbers as follows:
A 4.0
S 3.0
T 3.5
M 4.0
D 3.0
This gives an average of 3.45.

2.71/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured into a 13 oz tulip. Pours a dark brown, with a half inch of off white head, some sediment in the bottom, with some lace. Smell is clove, banana, bread, dark fruits, and burnt brown sugar. Taste is all of that, very sweet and a little stale. Body is medium, enough life, dry, and for me not very drinkable. This is not my favorite style and not my favorite example of the style.

2.72/5  rDev -29.9%

Bottle out of 4-pack from The Jessup Beverage!!

A: what you'd expect in a Dunkelweizen. Cloudy and hazy fig hue leaving zero foam with little to no lacing in the glass. This beer is Teflon coated.

S: very clean fresh yeast on the nose. faint candied malt with little wheat zest. overall, pleasant. some wheats smell like expired milk, however this one shines here.

T: two dimensions. hits you first with sweet candied fruit, then fades to some tangier dark fruit. where's the wheat characteristics? no banana, clove, or slightly sour finish that makes wheat beer so damn drinkable? i struggled through this. way too sweet for the style. i really wanted to like this, as Weyerbacher is local to me, and i truly love the Dunkelweizen style, but i was let down...

D: one and done. just too sweet, and a little off target.

Sorry Weyerbacher, this one seems like a misfire...

2.74/5  rDev -29.4%

a: This was a cloudy, murky, dark brown. It poured with a medium sized light tan head.

s: Huge, sweet banana nose on this one, too much so. There is a floral aroma here that blends with some solventy alcohol. This is a bit messy overall.

t: This is too hot and too sweet. Obnoxiously potent banana flavors absolutely dominate. The finish is dry, but floral rather than spicy. I also didn't expect to find this much heat in. Overall, this lacks subtlety and restraint.

m: The body and carbonation are spot-on.

d: Weyerbacher is one of my favorite breweries, but this is the worst I've tried from them.

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

2.9/5  rDev -25.3%

Appearance:
Dark brown, murky. 1 finger sudsy almond head. Moderate lacing.

Nose:
Mild banana, , moderate lemon, sugary like rock candy or marshmallow, mild nutty notes as well.

Taste:
Very malty, citrus zest, almost a date flavor in there, nice mild hoppiness, raisin.

Mouthfeel:
Feels thicker than it is. Moderately carbonated, very small bubbles on the tongue. Almost chewy or mushy post-sip feel, like eating a banana would give you. Mild tack on the tongue/roof of mouth. Alcohol rings through in the aftertaste.

Drinkability:
Easily drinkable, though at a slow rate. Not a session beer in my mind, but a couple with good company, absolutely.

Overall:
Not too bad. I'm a little disappointed with the alcohol taste/feel to it. With as malty as it is, you'd think the alcohol (only 7%) would be masked well. A bit swampy for my taste as well. I like me a thick beer, but this one left my mouth feeling a bit too tacky and mushy than a liquid should.

2.91/5  rDev -25%

Thanks to tpd975 for this one.

Pours from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a murky dark amber color with a minimal white head. No lacing.

Aroma is slightly sour. A bit of burnt tire rubber in there as well. Not very pleasing. Slight bit of fruitiness. A touch of belgian candi sugar and some yeast aromas. Bananas and cloves.

Flavor wasnt bad. More of the rubber flavors. Pretty big on the banana as well. A touch more yeast. Plenty of german malty graininess which I dont mind at all. Slightly sweet.

Medium bodied and slick and oily. Sticky on the tongue and pallate as well. This beer wasnt all bad but I just didnt like it that much. I am not a big fan of the style to begin with and this one didnt improve my overall impression of the style. Marginal at best.

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit sweet, fairly mild. Taste is primarily of alcohol with a bit of sweetness to it. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a mediocre brew.

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Dark brown, with a thin white head, but very good lacing. Smelled of maltiness, biscuit, caramel, yeast, apple, and alcohol essence. The flavor yielded all of the above, but a little on the sweet side, and furthermore alcoholic. Furthermore, the mouthfeel was a little thick and syrupy. Too many negative surprises after a nice appearance for me to enjoy drinking this a whole lot.

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured a dark copper brown, with a little haze, and a light head which quickly dissipated.

It had a great malty, smoky aroma. With a hint of fruit, apples plum, dates.

Taste was a disappointment. The start hits with a big malt/grain blast super sweet, and some carmel and fruit notes. In the middle the sweetness takes over the flavor, and that follows through the end.

I am far from a hop head, but where is the bitterness, and balance to the beer.

The mouthfeel was as expected for a quality brewery, and the drinkability suffers from the poor balance of the beer.

Slam Dunkel from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.