Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Riserva | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

RiservaRiserva
4.1/5
Exceptional
RiservaRiserva

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
weyerbacher.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Ale with raspberry purée added and aged in oak barrels.

Added by akorsak on 06-14-2008

4.5

Ratings: 1,034 |  Reviews: 337

1.47/5  rDev -64.1%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2010 bottle i believe.

I think this beer was aged in many small acetone cans. You can not convince me otherwise.
Redish brown color and no head, this thing was decapitated.
The nose is like acetone, just cuts the fruit apart. Bleh.
The raspberries are hard to find under the nail polish mess, some oak, it is sour and acidic, but still a terrible beer.

Run away.

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

1.54/5  rDev -62.4%

Bought this a while back. 2010 vintage..the SUPER SOUR year. Should be fun...or hideous. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear ruby hue with absolutely no carbonation or head. Little bit of legs, but..yah..sigh

S - Aromas of raspberries and oak...oh yah, nostril searing sourness. Vinegar big time. As it warms though it becomes almost all acetone.

T - Taste is well..not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Let me say though...goddamn is this sour. Almost stomach turning so. The raspberry is there, along with the oak, but this is so acidic and sharp. Like drinking a glass of vinegar and nail polish

M - Mouthfeel is entirely flat.

O - Overall, this is one of the worst things I've ever drank. So pissed...this beer was awesome when it was fresh....it's so horrible now. Why did I not drink this fresh?!

1.78/5  rDev -56.6%

750ml bottle into a Weyerbacher Tulip

2009 Vintage at Fridge Temp

A- Huge pop from the cork and pours a nice hazed reddish golden orange with not much of a head other than a nice off white pink looking bigger bubbled ring around the glass. As expected being over %11. Tons of carbonation streaming from the bottom and fizzed up like cola when i poured it. Not much lacing but some really nice alcohol feet on the side of the glass that definitely stick around for a while.

S- Really nice sour style funk up front with tons of raspberries and fruitiness. Definitely some alcohol notes coming off this one. Can't really pick much else out, just super strong raspberries that almost make this beer smell like a wine cooler and as it warms kind of becomes unbearable.

T- Up front your immediately hit by an intense boozy fermented fruit flavor that seems to all most sting the nose before each sip. Taste like medicine you would be given as a kid and hate forever. Can't tell if there's to much raspberries or if there's to much alcohol in this one. It seems as if it's both. Honestly can't even put it near my face without gagging. I'm sorry. Normally I am all about wild ales but this is not good.

Could be the age on this one or just the bottle i got but this stuff is way to strong in a terrible way. Like i said i can't even put it near my face.

Poured

SkÅL!

1.85/5  rDev -54.9%

S: Big rasberry tartness, touch of funk, some oak.

L: Still looking, no head, slightly hazy dark red.

T: Sweet rasberry like malt with some tartness. Little bitterness, a slightly funky rasberry taste leads to a medium tartness with a touch of lemon rind.

M: Almost no carbonation, slick on the palate.

No carbonation whatsoever. Makes this a slick mess. Funkiness is quite gross with the rasberries. Too big and really messy, drainpour.

2010 vintage.

Fingernail polish tinged with raspberries? Holy smokes is the ethyl acetate cranked up to 11 on this one. If you thought HaandBryggeriet took the EtOAc cake, Weyerbacher's bugs + process will confound you.

Indeed not for the faint of heart. Or for those with taste buds. Or for those with a nose. I love sours, but this is way over the top. I enjoyed the 08 and the 09 enough (still too much EtOAc), but this year's is rough. The Brewer's disclaimer does not do the sour experience justice.

A few hours in glass does wonders for pulling off much of the distracting ester and actually yields a pleasant fruit profile underneath the solvent, but I'm not patient enough to wait around for it to try this year's experiment again. And I doubt time in the bottle will help, unless you can wait a couple decades.

But if you're the type who thinks sours have to be in your face mouth puckering and don't mind solvent aromas, this is your beer. You'd save money by drinking diluted fingernail polish and chomping down on sour patch kids soaked in vinegar, though.

Disclaimer: please don't drink dilute fingernail polish. EtOAc is bad enough by itself, but there are much more nasty compounds than just the acetate in these products.

1.85/5  rDev -54.9%

Poured from a 2010 750ml into a tulip glass and then almost immediately poured into the drain.

A: Resembles nothing of a beer as poured, a hazy mahogany/pink mix with no carbonation showing.

S: Huge cider vinegar with a tart raspberry smell underlying. Let me just say that the smell of vinegar has never made me want to drink something.

T: Very tart. I puckered for the first few sips trying to find good in this. It tastes like black cherry atomic warheads (sour candy) was soaking in cider vinegar. This is atrocious and I immediately drain poured. I know the 2010 version is the only one this extreme, but I'll never touch another, this was bad.

M: Like Robotussin.

O: I will never buy this again, nor would I consider sipping it again. This is not beer, this is a crummy attempt at a wine.

2.04/5  rDev -50.2%

Vintage 2010

Pours murky amber with just a thin ring of head from a vigorous pour. No retention or lacing.

Aroma features nail polish remover with some slight raspberry and oak undertones. Smells like pure acetone.

Flavor unfortunately is similar. This beer tastes almost exactly like when I got curious and took a sip of my roselare starter. Acetone overpowers any other flavors in this although if I try hard, I can find the raspberry hidden under the pure vinegar. Also finishes with a weird metallic aftertaste.

Medium to full bodied. Alcohol is hidden fairly well. I would not have guessed this ABV. Dry and oaky finish.

This was a disaster. Not sure if it's the age or if this is just a bad beer, but as someone who usually loves extreme sour and puts vinegar on pretty much everything, it's too much for me. A big disappointment considering how much I love Rapture as well.

2.25/5  rDev -45.1%

2.29/5  rDev -44.1%

2010 bottle. I'm copying directly from my notes here as they do it justice.

"Acidic fuel nose, burning. Ridiculous acidic mouth, some decent raspberry underneath, oak, but completely destroyed by the ridiculous acidic bullshit. I do not have time for this."

2.3/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.31/5  rDev -43.7%

2010 Batch. I went to Abe's Cold Beer looking for a sour and this seemed like a good option. However upon opening, it was clear this beer wasn't going to stand up to previous reviews. There was a strongly acidic earthy garden tang. Not quite of rotting produce or horseblanket, but very unpleasant. The raspberry element was quite good and nicely balanced against the level of the funk. The sour character needs work. I did not bother to finish the bottle. It's not the pleasant, zesty flavors and aromas you'd expect in a ftamboise type ale.

2.42/5  rDev -41%

Poured out of the corked and caged 750ml bottle into a flute type glass.

A - Pours a hazy light raspberry red color. A slight orange hue to it. Pours a light pink head that is very small and is gone within seconds. Leaves behind a off white cap. Kinda looks like mold now that I think of it. Looks great and I'm ready to indulge.

S - Wow.... this killed it for me. Smells like finger polish with a slight raspberry sweet smell. Not good. My nose hairs are gone. I'm really dissapointed with the smell of this. Really funky and alcoholic. Hoping the taste takes over for this one. Pretty please.

T - Not much better than the smell. Lots of straw and oak and barn tastes covered up by alcohol and nail polish. Not digging it at all.

M - Mouthfeel is lots of light bubbles. Kind of champagne esque. Really sharp and hits the tounge hard.

D - I've got to say I'm really dissapointed with this sour. I know they are supposed to be high on funk but really this just made me regret the 18.00 pricetag. I'm also glad I split the bottle with my girl and she kind of liked it. I've got one more bottle and I'm hoping that a few... or 10 years does something good to this beer.

2.46/5  rDev -40%

Poured into my Darkness snifter.

Pours a reddish gold. Smells of over ripe fruit. Very tart and sour on the nose. Wow. This made my mouth pucker and my eyes water literally. So incredibly sour and tart. Didn't taste like raspberries to me, it tasted like crap. Gave my pour away.

2.46/5  rDev -40%

thanks for hooking me up with this in 2009 risser09 -shared at the wild ale tasting, poured chilled into a taster.

The color is deep red bordering on magenta with good clarity and visible carbonation rises rapidly to a snowy cap with tight beading. The smell is slightly sour with a hint of sweet raspberry odor, not overly strong aroma-wise, but there is a lot of alchohol noted as it warms. The feel is slightly sour slightly syrupy sweet with a wierd astringent and alcoholic combination that becomes drying and unpleasant when warm.

The taste is odd, one minute it has a sweet raspberry which seems to turn funky and sour and in the same taste is alcoholic and has a bitter edge with more funk and light sugary tang too, I can't say it is terrible, but just doesn't seem to mesh and the wierd vinous elements clash with the strong alcohol taste. I was glad I got to try this, but wish I had tasted it earlier, I probably shouldn't have saved it and I am willing to guess some of the fruit may have covered the strong booziness - It just tastes like it is past its prime.

2.49/5  rDev -39.3%

750ml corked and caged bottle served in a snifter glass.

2010 vintage.

pours a murky, rusty cranberry tone yielding no head whatsoever. hmm... sticker on the bottle warns this batch is very different from prior years. so it seems.

fantastic, bold nose smacks of rasberries and apple cider. big tart/sour presence through and through. my hopes are buoyed.

whoa... taste, unfortunately, takes my suddenly lofty expectations and does an about-face, pile-driving them into the frozen dirt outside. rasberries out in front quickly become engulfed in a tidal wave of cloying sourness, drowning my palate with such mouth-puckering acidity i wonder if it will ever un-pucker. way overdone. also on the boozy side.

medium-bodied mouthfeel with very low carbonation, makes it tough(er) to drink. disappointing. i really wanted to like this beer, especially paying almost $19 for the bottle. alas, it's simply not for me.

2.5/5  rDev -39%

Riserva from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.1 out of 5 with 1,034 ratings