Harvest Ale | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

good

Style: American IPA

Added by ClockworkOrange on 09-16-2008

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

A-Clear amber orange, two finger head that leaves behind lacing.

S-Earthy hops. Mainly just hops. But good smelling hops.

T-Earthy, ends with bitterness, some burnt tones.

M-Medium bodied, little carbonation, thick and resinous.

O-A little late in the season, but I figured it was the tail end of still good. Would gladly try again next year fresh.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

3.58/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a bottle into a Spiegelau tulip.

Nice copper appearance with thin off-white head that dissipated pretty quickly leaving just a little bit of lacing.

Up front there is a lot more spice and malt than I would've expected for a fresh hop ale. I do realize that this isn't the freshest bottle around at this point but I would've expected a little more punch in the aroma. Citrus is trying to get through.

Much like the nose, this doesn't strike me as an IPA, especially not what I associate with fresh hopped ales. There is a pretty noticeable bitterness but I don't pick up on much of the citrus or resin that I would expect.

Mouthfeel is pretty thick and dry. The carbonation is decent and the bitterness certainly lingers on the tongue for a while.

Overall definitely not one of my favorite harvest ales. Not a bad beer by any means but I was hoping for a more pronounced hop presence (or at least a little more subdued malt bill). The hop lend some bitterness but not enough flavor for me.

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Light, slightly coppery color with a nice head. Minimal lacing here.

Smells very fresh and floral. Reminds me of Ithaca's Flower Power.

Tastes balanced and smooth; it's refreshing for a beer that is focused mostly on the hops.

Mouthfeel is fairly crisp with good carbonation, becoming a little thick as the beer warms up.

Overall, this is a relatively light, very tasty beer that's not as bold as your typical IPA. Probably great on tap.

3.26/5  rDev -12.6%

Nice copper color. Tan one finger head. 1/4 inch lingers.

Hop aroma is pretty weak. I expected way more in the aroma department. I'm actually getting a lot more malt than hops in the nose.

A nice, well rounded flavor. A little piney and floral. Nice bitterness. A nice fresh green (in a good way) aftertaste.

Thick mouthfeel. Maybe a little too thick. There's a slightly dry finish which adds a light crispness. But the body is a little too heavy for this style.

I'm a sucker for seasonals, harvest ales, etc. Some are great, some fall short. This one was somewhere in the middle.

Harvest Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.