Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
weyerbacher.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Birdiebeagle on 05-19-2009

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.92/5  rDev -3.2%

750 mL poured into mug. I must admit, I had only seen this beer once and while I was home I looked at the reviews for Double Simcoe. Just what I was looking for. Did not realize there was a difference between the regular and Unfiltered, since I literally saw this beer for the first time a few days ago. With that being said, pretty damn tasty.

A: Hazy, dark ruby red with some orange hues around the side when held to the light. Definitely unfiltered. Intense carbonation.

S: Earthy, resiny hop aromas emerge with some citrus, follow by intense aromas of *belgian yeast?*. Super fruity and spicy, and I don't think it is coming from the hops.

T: Resin dominates upfront. Slight tropical fruits, pine, citrus and earthy notes follow. This get swallowed up by the belgian spice and fruits I smelt on the nose. Alcohol is somewhat present at the end.

M: Really carbonated, medium bodied. Decent bitterness but is not overwhelming.

O: Hops are not as dominant and upfront as I had hoped. There was no date on the bottle so I am wondering if it is because the bottle is a little old. It has only been at the store for about 1-2 weeks tops because I remember the day it came in. Despite not being as hoppy as I had hoped, this beer is quite delicious. I hop to try the regular Double Simcoe sometime soon.

3.96/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from an undated 750ml c&c bottle into a pint glass.

Look: really nice beer to look at. Color of high-quality maple syrup. Thick, tenacious head.

Smell: so, here's where I admit that I didn't realize there was a difference between Double Simcoe and *Unfiltered* Double Simcoe. Got this in a trade, and expected a big whiff of DIPA hoppiness, and got Belgian notes instead. Did my trade partner play a joke and swap a Double Simcoe label onto a Unibroue bottle? Nope, some quick googling cleared things up. Back to the smell, now that my brain's in the right place: brown sugar, vanilla, a bit of orange peel.

Taste: classic Belgian profile, à la Unibroue. Then, the hops sneak in, complementing the yeast and malt character quite nicely. A bit of a soapy aftertaste, but honestly, not unpleasant.

Feel: a little insubstantial for my taste. Hard to put my finger on it, just underwhelming.

Overall: aside from the initial shock of this not being the beer I was prepared for, pretty good. But, I actually don't think I like it quite as much as SN's Snow Wit, though I had that less than a week old, so it had a much stronger hop character.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.