Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Birdiebeagle on 05-19-2009

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
Reviews: 219 | Ratings: 411
4.55/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle from Tangfoot.

A: Pours a murky, rusty dark amber, with a 1/2" of dense off-white bubbles.

S: Hops hops and hops. Big blast of citrus.

T/M/D: Comes in huge with bitter citrus rind, with a creamy malt sweetness underlying everything. Carbonation is spot on, leading to a thick middle, and a super-drying bitter finish.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer pours a hazy deep copper with subtle golden hues. A solid 2 finger fluffy head of blonde foam stands up well and laces the glass with intricate detail. Picture worthy.

This is an extremely complex brew as is first noted on the nose. Of course hops. Bright, citrus, and fresh fruits. Hints of Granny Smith apples. A very pronounced yeast character is present imparting a slightly sour tang in the back of the nose. Towards the end malts are nicely balanced in.

Flavor begins a very strong presence of hops with strong notes of orange skin--the sharp scent just after the zest when the white of the skin is present--bitter. Grapefruit intermingles with sharp but flavorful notes. A medly of other fruits mix in. Mild bite of granny smiths, and sweet but sharp kiwis. Very resinous and oily on the tougne. Middle kicks in with a slightly funky-sour yeast tang that accents the bitterness from the hops. Finally a solid malt profile ends the flavor with a slight biscuit note. Unlike many D=IPA's there is no lingering sweetness. This brew never becomes syurpy.

This beer offers good but not excessive carbonation. The overall mouthfeel is very smooth. The alcohol is so well masked it barely comes through.

Drinkability is very good for an ABV this high. The oily hops resin does linger after a while. Overall a very solid brew full of great flavors.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

As a homebrewer I like my beers dirty and my bottle of Unfiltered DS poured a dirty red with extreme fluffy head into my Duvel goblet glass. The smell punches me with pine and spice like characters. I am struck with the image of a wet pine forest smell with a pungent touch of almost but defiantly not yet garlic smell. I totally smelled this beer for fifteen minutes while I waited for it to warm up. upon touching my lips the double simcoe tastes super fresh and strong with the noticeably trademarked simcoe hop flavor at the front of my mouth I also get a tingling in the base of my jaw on both side telling me this is a ^&%^&% hoppy beer. As it moves back through my mouth the pine and acidity increase blossoming as I swallow and burp hop goodness. Mouth feel is good and coating but not syrupy. I must get more. I tasted this beer in 1/9/11 fresh. I prefer this to regular DSIPA.

3.93/5  rDev -3%

Rolled the bottle then poured into a Magic Hat pint glass. Loads of sediment in bottle before rolling.

Pours a hazy rusty orange with a HUGE sturdy frothy white head. Loads of lacing.

Very nice earthy, hoppy and a typical bottle conditioned bready aroma.

Flavour was good but not fantastic. Lacked something in terms of its bitterness. Not the traditional citrus hop profile. Maybe thats what the Simcoe hop brings. Lots of malt comes through.

Drinkability could have been better if hop flavours were more pronounced.

Overall a very good DIPA but not an exceptional DIPA. Enjoyed the bottle conditioned flavours however.

Mouthfeel was superb with the bottle conditioing

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle conditioned 750ml bought at the brewery.

A: Cloudy orange color with white head

S: Floral, citrusy goodness, man does this smell great. Much better than the 12oz format.

T: Very full bodied, full on hop assualt, this really punches you straight in te mouth.

M: Very dry and thick, good carbonation

D: Not my favorite 2IPA but very good, i like this bottle cond. version alot more than the 12oz. It drinks incredibly smooth and is good bang for your buck, around here anyway.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a dark, hazy amber.. akin to rust. Super, super, SUPER big head. I had a hard time pouring this without creating some kind of massive and persistent creamy white head.

Smells great. Pineapple, and piney hops. A bit of breadiness or sweetness from the malt.

Tastes mostly of resinous piney hops with the malt providing a perfect level of support and balance. Bit of a tobacco note in the aftertaste. Hops dominate overall tho.

Drinkability is good. The abv hit outta nowhere. Feels good man.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

No snifter available, so poured into a standard pint glass and shared with a friend.

A: Pours a bold copper/orange in color white a huge 3-finger off-white head.. and trust me, I poured this very gently. It is completely opaque/hazy (clearly because it's unfiltered) and the head retention is great. Lacing is quite nice, as well. Definitely darker than I expected, but didn't disappoint otherwise.

S: A strong nose built upon a firm malty backbone. Citrus notes accompany a bouquet of piney hops.

T: There is a lot going on here.. the malt backbone shines through pretty strongly. There is a sugery sweetness upfront, as well, followed by orange and grapefruit notes. A slight bite from the alcohol comes through in the end. Definitely like the taste, just a bit more malty and hefty than I was expecting.

M: The fullest body I've had in a DIPA, by far. Creamy feel with lots of carbonation. Just a little out-of-balance to me.

D: Glad I split this bottle. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, but man this one is heavy for a DIPA. The alcohol comes through more in this one than most DIPAs I've had. Usually I'll want the whole bomber to myself and that will yield a better drinkability score, but that's not the case so I'm docking it a bit. Still above average.

4.36/5  rDev +7.7%

First off, thanks to beandip for a wonderful suggestion in a wonderful trade! I'm really happy to have shared this beer with 2 of my best friends tonight... While we make a list of the top ten things we collectively hate (nickelback, creed and the like just made the cut).

Onto the beer:

CLEARLY... This beer is unfiltered. It pours a deep, hazy amber and the head on this thing goes forever! I poured it into my laser etched new Belgium globe, so I'm sure that helps, but it's still ridiculous. The crown on this beer is frothy and seriously leaves super sticky lace all the way down. It's truly beautiful.

Smells pretty intense... Sweet malts and some mild, floral hops with a pretty decent hint of booze ma. I'm expecting this to be a pretty malty beer, though I soon realize that's not the case. This is a biting hops bomb! Starts out pretty sweet up front, but as soon as any oxygen hits my tongue, that all changes. Super bitter, meaty, almost salty hops take over and never subside... Seriously 10 minutes after my last sip, I've got biitter hops ripping me a new one. There's a slight hint of bready malts and a toils citrus balancing everything out. Overall, this has got a great everything profile.

Drinks a touch heavy and creamy for my tastes, but it's not a bad thing. Just not quite as crisp as I'd like. Overall, this is a great beer and a true standout in it's class, as far as I'm concerned.

3.82/5  rDev -5.7%

A- Murky brownish copper. Very dark for an IPA and its apparent immediately that its unfiltered. Big pop from the caged and corked bottle. Poured very gently to produce a massive 5" head. Pour this beer very slowly
S- Smell is of sweet ripe pineapple and hops. Sticky sweet pineapple hop smell.
T- Taste is not as sweet as the head. Rather bitter hop kick is rather unbalanced but still good. A little bit of that pineapple sweetness, but mostly hop bitterness. Not terribly complex with the flavor. Some IPA's have a variety of different hops that attack my palate at different times as other flavors fade but this one has a strong uniform flavor.
M- Rather heavy for an IPA. Carbonation is very high so this helps.
D- Drinkability is just slightly above average. For some reason, this beer comes off as heavy for an IPA.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into pint glass. Met an old British guy in the store with a cart full of DIPAs and this was his suggestion. Almost 12 bucks for a four pack. Excellent color nice cloudy look almost like the glass was frosted. Poured with a nice eggshell 1 inch head with a generous tilt. Smell is a very sweet hop smell, never singled out the Simcoe before and was very happy I took the old man's advice. Taste was so balanced, hoppy as hell but also so very sweet with a honey and baked apple taste hiding inside the malt that follows the hop blast. Lacing was consistent. I rated the mouth feel low although the carbonation was perfect the brew is very sticky was an initial mild nuisance but I think this coating will grow on me, it kept me looking for another gulp. Will definately go for another

3.73/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a tulip this beer is very carbonated, two thirds of the glass is foam, like a Belgian. Head is also very long lasting, it will be a while before I can pour a full glass, oops! The beer itself is an opaque copper, seriously this thing glows at the edges, the only place the light can fully penetrate. And the sediment is not disturbed, there is still a thick layer on the bottom. Unfiltered is right! Head is light tan and creamy. Ilove what hops does for head retention, this thing just doesn't want to subside.
Aroma is heavenly. Absolutely simcoe, could pick this out of a lineup any day. Juicy grapefruit, orange and lemon with Peach and some fragrant light pine notes. Detect some vegetal, like whole cone hops.
Five minutes and a small top up in, and there is still a thick head, but it is sinking. I can't wait any longer, I've gotta tear into this beast.
Head is very fluffy on the lips. A good blast of citrus. More grapefruit and peach. A short, strong dark caramel maltyness follows but is quickly overpowered by a blast of spicy bitterness that lasts, slowly fading and letting the yeasty caramel back in to round things out. Finishes a little heavy on the sweet side, but not too much.
Full bodied, tongue grabbing bitterness and coating sweetness, this beer would hold up to the heaviest of foods, while still cutting through fats with the sharp bitterness.
Although it has plenty of bitterness to hide the alcohol, it's sweetness has a decidedly negative effect on drinkbility. I am very much enjoying this 750ml bottle, but any more than this and my palate will be sugar-blown. I was expecting something a bit lighter in color, I think the heavy caramel is what will get to me first.
Overall a very solid beer, better than most DIPAs but short of an SDPA. Glad I found this although I may slightly prefer the flavor of the regular double simcoe, I like the extra yeast and complexity of this unfiltered offering.

4.16/5  rDev +2.7%

Extremely amber/ brown color. Looks like apple cider. Cloudy. Big Pillowy cream/orange/off white color stubborn head.

Good balance of malt and hops (taken to the extreme) in the aroma. Leather/earthy aroma

Very slight star anise/black licorice flavor. Bitterness is there, yet very tolerable.

Really nice smooth mouthfeel cut well with the hops to balance it with the malt.

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

750 cork and cage poured into standard pint glass

A- Dark orange pour bordering on brown with burnt hues. Slight haze. Slow pour yields a 2 finger off white head that just wont quit. Friends pour is not as constrained and results in a half glass of head. Be cautious with this one...

S- Simcoe for sure....I really enjoy the simcoe hop and don't get the catpiss smell that many complain about. Here the hops are hard at work kicking out a strong and pleasant nose, but the bouquet is a bit too subdued. I pick up strong pine and melon rind with a strong toasty biscuit malt backbone reinforcing the hops.

T- Similar to what the nose suggests, I get a surge of toasted bread followed up by a punch of pine and melon fruit. Very enjoyable in my opinion. Bitterness is strong, but clean and not overwhelming and clings to the palate without being too astringent. Really tasty flavor throughout and a marked improvement from the standard version.

M- This is simply where the beer goes to a level that many can't IMO. This might not be for everyone, but I simply love the body that is demonstrated here. HUGE mouthfeel. This beer is meaty. Chunky. Thick. Whatever words you want to use; it is. It clings to the palate and refuses to let go. like biting into a loaf of fresh baked bread it just sticks to everything and lasts forever. I love it.

D- While the huge mouthfeel makes it hard to put back quick, it makes me eager to take another sip to replenish the void. I had no trouble finishing the 750, and will gladly pick up another.

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%

Attended the release for this new brew on 05/15 at Weyerbacher. Received a couple tasters for this unfiltered beer. Was good enough to leave with two cases of it.

The color is very hazy, as one would expect with an unfiltered beer. Poured a deep orange.

The smell was very hoppy. Definitely a strong double.

The taste was very good. A bit of a bite, but in a good way. Better than the filtered double simcoe, and a throwback to the way I remember the previous releases of the double simcoe.

The mouthfeel was good. Very full ipa.

Drinkability was also very good. This is a stand-up double that should be sought after. The abv was not entirely hidden. You were aware that this was no lightweight, but was hidden well enough that it didn't distract from the overall flavor of the beer.

Overall a very good brew. Nicely done Dan!!!

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

A: Beautiful pinkish-brown with a huge tan head that shows no evidence of diminishing. Cloudy appearance with lively bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Warm and delightful-looking.

S: Dreamy grapefruit and flowery/fruity notes. Sweetened herbal tea. Caramel and brown sugar. Sweet and light... if noses could show emotion, mine would be very happy...

T: Perfect blend of malt and hops that complement each other perfectly. The extreme hops dominate. Bitter yet sweet, powerful yet mild... Huge grapefruit and piney flavor with lots of spiciness that hits your tongue right away, and even burns my lips a bit. The aftertaste contains very little bitterness, and instead blends into a mellow malty taste. These two compliment each other very nicely to form what I believe is pretty much the perfect taste. A hidden flowery taste that is hard to pick out among the strong flavors-- but is evident in the aftertaste.

M: Spicy yet sweet. Carbonated perfectly- not overpowering, but with substantial kick. Smooth and delicious.

D: Awesome through and through. If it didn't contain alcohol, I think I could drink several bottles tonight without getting tired! In my opinion it is the perfect IPA-- complete with all the power and intensity, but crafted in such a way that it can be truly enjoyed over a long period of time, and in larger quantities without being overwhelming to the taste buds.

3.21/5  rDev -20.7%

Mediocre ratings nearly across the board--yikes, when I joined BA a couple of weeks ago I told myself I'd review only beers I found toothsome, but nothing ever happens the way one anticipates, so, in the interest of balance, here goes....

Poured into an oversized snifter. Appearance is a murky, hazy, yellowish copper with an enormous head which takes awhile to dissipate. Liquid/foam ratio was like 20/80 at the outset, which bodes ill for the impatient, thirsty beer aficionado. This first impression was an ominous indication of the trajectory this imbiming session, and hence this review, would take.

Ascertaining the composition, or even the presence, of the aroma took some effort. There was certainly no blast of hop mist as I snapped the cap or poured the contents of the bomber into the drinking vessel. Upon closer, almost exhaustive inspection, I sensed a whisper of muted earthy hoppiness.

Alcohol plays an unwelcome and distracting role in every facet of the flavor of this beer, particularly in the finish, where it dominates and leaves one's palate with a final, dismissive impression of the beer as a whole. Otherwise, there is a tart, soapy lupulin component that contributes to an asymmetry that makes this beer seem harsh and undesirable. Very astringent. Some hopeful flavor components like grapefruit rind make their way through the maelstrom, but their efforts at attaining harmony and balance ultimately turn out to be Chamberlainian.

Mouthfeel is unpleasantly sticky; medium carbonation.

In spite of the obviously high alcohol content I had no trouble polishing off a bomber of this stuff. A matter of acclimation, really. This stuff isn't harsh just because of the alcohol.

An awkwardly assembled frankenstein of a IIPA.

1.65/5  rDev -59.3%

Stick with the filtered variety!

I'm an avid homebrewer and I've only had one truly bad batch - it had all the same flaws and characteristics as this brew that cost ten bucks a bomber, so much so that I was reminded of that beer the moment I smelled and tasted this one.

Slow gusher started creeping up the sides of the bottle neck befor I poured, which cast a THICK head that stuck around til I finished the pint. Massively overcarbonated, which usually means one of three things - incomplete fermentation, too much carbing sugar added, or infection. I've read they use a belgian strain for carbing, so perhaps that strain is just more attenuative than the one they use for primary fermentation, and thus consumes additional wort sugars and arbs more than they want. Either way, you expect this type of flaw from a rookie homebrew, not a commercial limited release brew.

A - murky copper. Clearly unfiltered, but it appears they also avoided any clarifying techniques. The giant head stuck around til I finished the beer.
S - harsh belgian funk mixed with hops, overcarbination and oxidation
T - like it smells; the simcoe resin/dank/pine thing is there, but the harsh yeast flavors, awkwardly cloying caramel notes, acrid overcarbination and cardboard oxidation overpower it.
M - creamy, sticky, much fuller and long lasting than I'd expect from anything in the IPA/DIPA family
D - poor. Sticky/creamy fullness combined with awkward malt/yeast/hop flavor interaction make this one a 'swallow and squint' beer.

I've gotta say, I really love simcoe as a hop and am an IPA fanatic. I enjoy the regular filtered version, which may be the reason this bre caught me so offguard.

Don't buy.

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

A: In the brown bottle it is hard to tell the color but the beer is hazy brown, with a thin layer of yeast on the bottom. When poured into a glass there is a thick light brown head that dissolves very slowly with quite a bit of lacing. The color is brown, nearly opaque. It is not possible to see through the glass at all, it has a hazy unfiltered look to it.

S: Not surprisingly the overwhelming smell is that of fresh hops. There is a very piney, citrusy, bitter hop smell.

T: When it enters your mouth is cool and quickly turns bitter. The bitter taste slowly fades into a piney hop smell that seems to fill your mouth and nose. The beer is very bitter, but is balanced perfectly with the taste of hops. Both flavors come through very strongly giving a very enjoyable taste. There is little or no alcohol taste despite the 9% ABV.

M: The beer is very smooth with an appropriate amount of carbonation. It is not flat, nor is it over carbonated. The light carbonation adds to the experience.

D: Drinkability is hard to judge on a double IPA. On one hand this beer is very smooth, and taste great making it go down easily. On the other hand, the taste is strong enough that I would not want to chug it quickly. With the higher ABV, I could not drink very many before having to stop.

Overall this is a great beer. I am a huge IPA fan and this beer is just what I was looking for when I grabbed a bottle that claimed to be an Unfiltered Double IPA. Delicious, powerful, hoppy flavor that is balanced with just the right amount of bitterness and hops.

3.77/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Ommegang flute thing, a strange choice of a first review beer!

Appearance: Nice dark orange hue with a beautiful, long-lasting head. Not quite the color I was expecting but a nice pour.

Smell: Delicious aroma of pineapple sticks out the most, but there's also grapefruit and some spice.

Taste: A bit of a letdown considering the nose, it's not an incredibly diverse taste and it becomes somewhat bogged down as the beer continues to warm. It's not quite a total hop bomb and not malty enough to fit into standard East Coast DIPA flavors. None of the pineapple from the nose, it's primarily citrus with some peppery? hotness on the back.

Mouthfeel- Much more creamy than I expected, very little carbonation considering how loud the pop was when I opened the bottle.

Drinkability- Good but not great for a DIPA, I started to become bored about halfway into the bottle.

I really need to go and review normal Double Simcoe so that I can compare the two, but this beer is something of a minor letdown.

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.