Fourteen Ale | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Fourteen AleFourteen Ale

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Wheatwine

Wheatwine Ale celebrating brewing from 1995-2009, brewed with over 50% wheat malt.

Added by mikey711 on 07-09-2009

Reviews: 193 | Ratings: 271
4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

All Hail Weyerbacher!!!
I have had the anniversary beers from 12 and 13 but this thing blows everything out of the water!
It pours a light amber body with a thin white froathy head.
The smell is unbelievable. It is full of wheat malt, strong, thick caramel malt lacing and a little hint of mild hops along with some alcohol notes.
The taste is even better! This is like the strongest hefeweissen you've ever had, mixed with a nice English barleywine and then finishes with a strong Dukleweissen finish. There's a great wheat forefront with nice caramel and 2 row mouthfeel and then a thick alcohol and barley back mouth followed by bannana and clove hints.
The mouthfeel is velvety and fantastic!
This is very easy drinking for a strong beer and Im sure it will age well.
This beer is one of the best I've had in months, love it, buy it, store it, it's the best!!!!

4.72/5  rDev +24.5%

You can always expect that Weyerbacher, if anything, will make a good big beer. This one is not only a big beer, it is so unique and incredible tasty. Not to mention DANGEROUSLY drinkable and smooth for an ABV of 11.8%

12 oz. bottle- 3 separate pours into an oversized wine glass.

A- Golden amber very light brown sandy color. Lacing and nice head retention- off white head to be exact. Carbonation bubbles flowing.

S- Booze and spice. Orange zest and lemon peel. Fruits and bubblegum.

T- I am shocked that this beer (as young as it is) does not have a big alcohol punch. Lemony, fruity, wheaty, malty. Incredibly tasty and an experience for my tastebuds.

M- Medium bodied and sticky.

D- 5.0 rating for the incredibly scary drinkability for such a big time beer.

I will pick up a few more bottles for sure. This is why I LOVE weyerbacher- innovative and always shooting to go one step further.

4.71/5  rDev +24.3%

Fourteen Ale
Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Style: Wheatwine
ABV: 11.80 %
reviewed 10/26/09, bottle? snifter galss

I must state a few things related to this review to help the reader. I am a big fan of wheat brews in general and have reviewed more wheat beers than most others to date. I am also a homebrewer who brews wheat, honey wheat and wheatwine style ales. I have created some pretty solid honey wheat ales and wheatwines with consistency. This is only my second review of a commercially available wheatwine, but I do know what is a good example of the style from homebrew experience and judging (in examples up to 10% abv). This Weyerbacher offering surpassed my expectations, and did an awesome job at a great example of the style. I still like my homebrew version a tad bit better, but I could be biased.

Cheers to Weyerbacher, this is one fine big wheatwine, and it hides the abv well with some great aromas, taste and mouthfeel!

On to the review...
A 5.0 - Awesome example of a wheat brew, impressive at this ABV! Cloudy honey/wheat in color with a solid but fluffy 2 finger head. Excellent retention and lace as any wheat beer should have IMHO.
S 4.0 - Aromas of caramel malts and wheat. Very subtle boozyness sneaks in - but I am okay with it with this big of a beer.
T 5.0 - As I hoped - DEE-LISH!!!! Tastes as it smells, with semi sweet wheat and malts, balanced appropriately without being cloying. A nice clove spice sneaks in, all in unity hiding the 11.8% with the class of one impressive brew.
MF 4.5 - Medium-full body for a wheat brew, medium+ carbonation.

Drinkability 5.0! - Dont let the BA "average" fool you - this is one dynamite wheatwine. I like it as much as my 2 year - 12+ batch tweaked homebrewed version. I really enjoyed the clove tastes of this one, as it's a new experience for me since I brew mine with Chico yeast. They may be on to something here....

CHEERS to Weyerbacher, this is the best Wheatwine I have bought to date, and it is an awesome rep of the style!

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Gorgeous amber color with about a half finger of head that dissipates quickly. A few bubbles slowly move their way up.

S: Some sweetness, but mainly alcohol and apples.

T: Oh yeah--that's the taste. Nice spiciness that hangs around longer than the alcohol and sweet fruit that I'm tasting. Delicious.

M: Very warming, little carbonation, and a nice long finish.

D: I love how this tastes, but would make an ass of myself if I enjoyed a few too many of these. Oh well, not like I haven't done it before...

Very tasty (and sexy looking) wheatwine from Weyerbacher. Get your hands on this if you can.

4.56/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Wow, when I realized this was 6 years old I was apprehensive of its aging, but very smooth. Sweet Honey, not too spicy, high alcohol. Nice surprise, I grabbed it off the shelf at the beer store without looking at the label to see the year.

4.48/5  rDev +18.2%

A - Pours a hazy/cloudy orange/gold color, very mild lacing on the glass, virtually no head after the pour. Mild, steady carbonation.

S - Picking up hints of banana, cloves, spices, reminds me somewhat of a German wheat beer aroma. I'm not sure if perhaps its my allergies or what, but I'm not getting an overly strong aroma, it's on the upper end of mild, not strong or pungent in any way.

T - Picking up on my tongue what I smelled from the class - banana, cloves, spices, a little bit of a fruit character. At the start, is mild on the middle tongue but warms to a boozy finish at the end. I get the usual "chewiness" that I experience with most wheat beers. (Go figure since it's a wheat, huh?)

D - I really enjoyed this beer and it's all the more interesting since it's an up and coming style. The alcohol is definitely not hidden with the warm finish. This is one I couldn't have more than one or two on an empty stomach. Deserves to be sipped from a snifter by itself, or possibly with the right cheese pairing. I'm not a food snob by any means so I'll enjoy this beer by itself sitting on the deck at the end of the day. Hats off to Weyerbacher on this one. A nice follow up to last year's XIII.

4.44/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle at home on May 25, 2010.

Pours a nice burnt orange, somewhat cloudy with quite a bit of floaters in there. Small off-white head. Not too much lacing. A light fizz.

Smells of light caramel and apple cider. Some tartness.

Very flavorful but not extremely bold. Tastes light a light barleywine with some banana notes.

Full bodied but not too heavy. Actually softer than I was expecting.

Highly drinkable for the style and the ABV. The alcohol is pretty well masked on this one (not completely hidden, obviously, it's pushing 12%), which could get dangerous.

4.43/5  rDev +16.9%

12 ounce bottle into snifter.

A- Pours a cloudy reddish-orange, with a thin off-white head leaving great lacing.

S- Very aromatic beer. Noticeable alcohol in the front. Strong earthy wheat coupled with a strong clove and a nice bready yeast aroma.

T- Fantastic all around. Nice wheat flavor, with banana's and cloves all over the place, very reminiscent of a Belgian with out the cloyness. Slight alcohol in the end, which is surprising given the aroma, I thought it would be more prevalent.

M- On the heavy side but not over handed. Good carbonation

D- This is my first foray into the world of wheat wines and I'm in love. I'm tempted to age a couple of these just for the hell of it, but it tastes so good now I'm not sure I'll be able to keep them for long.

4.42/5  rDev +16.6%

Slight amber colored head, fairly filmy. The beer is a very dense, cloudy orange amber, and one could almost imagine the thick sediment within as prehistoric yeast cake trapped in solidified sap. There is in fact a very large quanitity of sediment sitting at the bottom of the glass, and copious amounts also suspended within the luminous liquid. I like a little bit of particulate, but this is excessive. Absolutely no lacing left on the glass.

Bright aroma of floral and evergreen hops, sweet and tangy, but light. Perfumey, but not cloying. Needs a little swirl of the glass to really emerge, though.

Flavor has a strong sour note of lemon and cider vinegar, tempered by a pleasant sweetness of wheat malt and soft hints of herbal tea. Nicely layered and complex, a bit of a cross between sour and barleywine.

Considerable body is well-perforated by ample effervescence, giving a pleasingly balanced mouthfeel.

Especially for something over 10%, the alcohol is not very noticeable, and the lemon flavors keep it light and eminently drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an small snifter.

This brew pours a brassy, golden orange, with a thin off-white head that leaves thick lacing around the rim of the glass. It's extremely cloudy, and does not clear much as it settles. It looks quite distinctive.

The smell is intense, with the alcohol hitting you up front. This is nearly a 12% ABV beer, and it lets you know it as soon as it gets near your nose. Once the initial burn subsides, the other, more complex notes come through. The wheat exerts a strong presence, eclipsing any of the other malts, and adding a very distinct character to the aroma. There are also strong spice notes, primarily clove, and a mild, bready yeast aroma. There's also a pronounced, candy-like sweetness to the smell, somewhere between caramel and butterscotch.

The taste hides the alcohol better than I had expected from the smell. It's definitely there, but it hits in the back of the throat, rather than on the front of the tongue, allowing the other flavors to come through. The wheat is clearly the most prominent flavor, mixing with strong caramel notes and a moderate spiciness. For a potent beer with such strong flavors, they come together surprising well, providing a pleasantly complex combination of tastes, the alcohol rounding it out with a pleasing warmth.

The body is certainly on the heavy side, and it coats the mouth, but it's clean and smooth. This is a rich beer, but it doesn't get too overwhelming.

It's delicious, and easier to get through than a lot of other, similarly strong beers. I wouldn't want to (or be able to) get through more than a couple, but this is a beer I could see myself going back to on a relatively regular basis.

4.36/5  rDev +15%

Bottle courtesy of jwc215. Thanks Joe!

2nd Wheat Wine from the same box!!

This pours a hazy reddish orange with a 2 finger head of foam. Lots of swirling bubbles. It looks fabulous in my NB goblet.

The smell is spicy and malty with notes of sweetness, clove, light bananas, and wheat. I like.

The taste matches the nose but is way more intense in every department. The banana and clove are big, the sweet smacks of honey and is big, the wheat is big, big citrus presence giving me some ice tart notes..the only thing that isn't really big, at least tastewise, is the alcohol. Definitely some warming after the swallow though. ;^)

Medium mouthfeel with the carbonation on the high end of low, despite the vigorous bubble activity in the glass. Speaking of which, head retention and lacing are damn good.

Drinkability? This sucker is dangerous!! It's like drinking a Hefeweizen, all the flavours seem to be there, only amped up more than just a few notches. What a pleasure to sip this one away. Quite a different beast from the Smuttynose Wheat Wine I had, a very good brew in its own right. Fabulous job, Weyerbacher!

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%

The 12oz bottle pours a hazy (especially if you swirl the yeast on the bottom of the bottle) amber color. There's a thick creamy head which mostly subsides, but makes its presence known until the end. Wheatwines vary tremendously in character so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect with the one. I ended up being greeted with an enticing German-style wheat beer aroma. The flavor turns out to be even better. This brew has the perfectly refined spicy, clovey, characters I look for in my favorite German wheat beers, but without the nasty plastic/band-aid junk you sometimes get in American attempts at the style. I also liked that it stays surprisingly dry considering the alcohol content. There might be a mild burn from the alcohol, but I wouldn't guess it's almost 12%. This is easily one of the best American brewed German-style wheat beers I've ever had. If there's a slight negative, it's the price I paid ($4 per 12oz bottle). Whatever the case, Weyerbacher did an incredible job with this brew!

4.32/5  rDev +14%

A - Pours into glass amber color, decent head and lacing left on the glass,

S - smooth wheat smell with some alcohol present,

T -good, wheat and booze, loved it,

M- appropriate mouthfeel,
D- high drinkability despite having a fair amount of alcohol,

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

12 oz. bottle into a Corsendonk tulip.

Appearance: Hazy murky yellowness. What I had hoped for.

Smell: Hefeweizen on acid: clove and banana soaked in booze. Yeast aromas. Just awesome.

Taste: The hops come out a lot more than I thought they would. The sweetness is tempered with the hops, thankfully. And with the sweetness there's a ton of raisin, banana, and clove, and some mild vanilla rounding things out. I wouldn't want this to sit, as it's pretty wonderful right now.

Mouthfeel: Sticky and heavy and thick and soppy and awesome.

Drinkability: Thank you, Weyerbacher, for doing what you do. And bravo, which I've said too much, again.

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

One finger goldenish head from a pretty high pour; cloudy red-brown body.

Some faint alcohol on the nose, some malt, and some sweet cherry. Perhaps a trace of honey.

Rich, wheaty, with a lot of malt, a nice light fruit presence (cherry, grape?, caramelized banana). Not sure what 'wheatwine' entails, but I'd easily confuse it for a wheat doppelbock. Dry and clean finish for something so packed and sweet.

Mouthfeel is nice and rich, but not too carby.

Overall, this was more interesting than I might've hoped for. Cellaring will probably make this even better, but it's delightful for wheat fans already.

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks to beerisheaven for sending me two bottles of this as extras in a recent trade. He knows me loves my Weyerbacher, & I've been patiently waiting for this to show up in Wisconsin. Still waiting.

Split a 12 oz. with the wife. Pretty beer, dark orange/amber. Smell is a .22 slug of sweet up the nostrils.

Perusing the reviews, asabreed called this a "hefe on acid" & that is exactly, precisely correct. The bananas, King Kong-sized, are here, along with the cloves, & there's a distinct tinge of Belgianosity in the yeasts. There's also that wheaty, field of grass aspect multiplied a couple of times. The alcohol for me is dulled & distant, pummeled into submission by the sugar rush.

Fourteen is easy to sip. I've always owned a good number of sweet teeth, so this is right up my alley. At 11.8% it's downright dangerous. This is the kind of shit the Surgeon General puts warnings on because of teenage consumption.

Very good beer. I have to say that I absolutely love/d XII & XII, & this is a notch below those two masterpieces. I will, however, be happy to revisit this one in a year or two to see how it's going.

EDIT: after another bottle four months later, this beer has taken a turn for the better already. I'm eager to keep sampling it forward, but this is going to age damn well. The grassy notes have retreated & the barleywine-style flavors are coming forward, taming the sweetness a bit. Fantastic.

4.28/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours hazed orangeish amber with reddish hues and a creamy thick head that leaves lacing.

The smell is of honey and caramelish sweetness with banana and clove-like spicing.

The taste is sweet - honey and caramel. Candyish banana and warming alcohol give it an imperial hw character. It has an herbal/clove finish. Nice candy-ish sweet and spicy aftertaste lingers. Very tasty!

The feel is creamy/velvety. Full-bodied but touch of carbonation keeps it from being too thick. It is slightly syrupy.

For a high abv, and considering some alcohol shows, this has a "refreshing" quality about it. It is like a combination of Hefeweizen and caramelish barleywine. A unique, tasty, sweet, but not too, brew that is dangerously drinkable!

4.27/5  rDev +12.7%

I chose a local beer to root the Phillies on with tonight in Game 5 of the NLCS. Less than an hour before first pitch!

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Weyerbacher tulip a ruddy golden amber with a tiny white head. It immediately drops to a hazy patch of foam with a pencil-thin collar.

SMELL: Unmistakably wheat, characterized by its light, almost fruity sweetness. There's really no indication of a huge alcohol bomb however. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this was a sweet, full American wheat beer with an estery yeast strain.

TASTE: A little sharp bite initially gives way to smooth, creamy wheat. Again, it's hard to tell from the start that this is anything more than a standard wheat beer. It's fruity with hints of banana and lemon. But as it crosses the palate, you know for sure what you've gotten yourself into. The beer never dries out, instead escalating into a sweet elixir with an undercurrent of formidable alcohol. The finish keeps going leaving you with sticky remains of the wheat base long after you swallow. An adventure for sure.

MOUTHFEEL: Full bodied certainly, with a low carbonation level. It's a sticky feeling in the mouth when you drink and a significant coating afterward. Beastly yet appropriate.

DRINKABILITY: I have to give it good marks here. The awesome wheat flavor tricks you into thinking you're drinking a much lighter beer. And even still, you can tell that there's a decent bit of alcohol but nowhere near 11.8%. For what this is, the drinkability is remarkable.

Well, this is a winner. I'm very interested to see how this ages. It actually wouldn't surprise me if it's at its peak already so young in its life. Hopefully the Phillies can make it another winner for the state of PA tonight.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Fourteen pours an attractive copper/amber color. It's a little hazy. Backlighting reveals a scarlet tint. An off-white head crowns the top. It's big. Easily over three fingers. Retention is excellent. Lacing is heavy and very sticky. Impressive.

The nose is good. Banana hits first. Wasn't expecting that. It's followed by a very sweet mix of caramel and honey. It does have a strong grainy vibe which I suspect is attributable to the wheat. It smells a little spicy. Clove is the most prominent with pepper following. There may be some ancillary varieties this nose can't identify. Alcohol is in the mix. No surprise given the near 12% abv. But, I probably wouldn't have guessed it's that strong. Surprising, but in a good way.

Fourteen is very good beer. It's not what I expected. Spices kick it off. Clove and pepper are the strongest varieties. It is malty and a little sweet. Honey is definitely present. The heavy dose of wheat is noted in flavor. It gives it an earthy/grainy twist that's rather prominent throughout. There is a nice banana flavor here that works well with clove. It reminds me of a certain German style. I'm really surprised that the alcohol is blended as well as it is. It's a little noticeable, but for an 11.8% beer...Wow! It's very deceptive in that regard. Finishes a little sweet and spicy.

Fourteen has a very svelte full body. Extremely lush and creamy. Carbonation is dialed down nicely. Weyerbacher nailed mouthfeel! Drinkability is good. Quite good for a beer of this stature. Given its strength, I probably wouldn't reach for another bottle, but I'm a little tempted. This is good stuff and it's going down far too easy. Having said all that...I'm feeling it.

Weyerbacher is a very underrated brewery in my opinion. They produce some high quality gems. They certainly do a bang-up job with their anniversary releases. I'm not the biggest fan Wheatwines, but this is a strong effort. I don't have a whole lot to complain about. It's probably the best take on the style I've had in quite some time. I don't know how much of this stuff is still floating around, but it's well worth picking up if you see it. Happy Fourteenth!

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured into a shaker pint. Really big head and laced well. Was surpirsed by how dark it was for a wheat. Very nice rich amber color. Very wheaty aroma. Loved this brew. I did not think this beer would work with it's very high alcohol content, which by the way this beer hides all too well. This was a pleasure to drink.

4.23/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into a tulip.

Pours a cloudy red/dark orange color. a hard pour only created about three fingers of head. Verynice and creamy with tons of lacing.

Smell is very yeasty and spicey. I smell some citrus mostly lemon zest and a touch of floral.

This is my first wheat wine. Taste is very sweet of the bat. A ton of fresh spiceyness and lemon zest.

This is very mellow and smooth. I'm wondering how some aging would affect the of this one. Its already extremely smooth and creamy for 11.8 abv.

Drinkability is pretty damn good for such a high alcohol brew.

4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

I was quite surprised by the intense, wheaty smell upon pouring the bottle of Fourteen - several of the other wheatwines I've tasted certainly gave off less of that aroma. The taste is close to an American Wheat beer with an additional punch from the high ABV - it is well hidden IMO. This is a nice summer beer and I'll definitely finish off this 4-pack quite soon.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a beautiful golden orange color, quite hazy, a couple large chunks floating around but not too many, decent sized head that fades a bit quick.

Smell is rather spicy, lots of coriander and orange zest, lots of malt, it took me awhile but I was finally able to pick up a very slight presence of alcohol (it's hidden really well).

Taste is soft with perfect carbonation, at first the alcohol isn't noticeable but on subsequent sips it becomes more apparent although it is quiet subdued considering the strength, the wheat really shines through with hints of spiciness throughout, even a bit of banana.

Another great beer from Weyerbacher, while Thirteen is a hard one to follow up on, they did a good job with this wheat wine. I never used to be a fan of theirs but they're slowly pulling me in.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

Wow this beer is very drinkable and has some nice things about it that should make it grow.

A - yellow haze with a thick 2 fingered head that slowly went away.

S - strong smell of Bananas, wheat, and spice.

T - Apricot like very stong taste.

M - Burning very nice will taste nice cellard.

D - Well very stong will taste after cellering. Man this is a great brew just needs some time.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

I was surprised and thrilled to see this return to the stores around here. It pours a hazy sunset amber topped by a short-lived half-finger of white foam. The nose comprises wheat, booze, orange flesh, banana, bubblegum, nutmeg, and some light floral hops. The taste is kinda surprisingly heavy on the citrus, particularly oranges, along with some rye spice, rye bread, honey, booze, a touch of hot cinnamon, and bubblegum. The body is a heavy medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly chewy feel. I do so enjoy this beer. I hope I can get my hands on the Special Dark version, maybe have a side-by-side o' wheatwine-y goodness.

Fourteen Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.