Fourteen Ale | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Fourteen AleFourteen Ale

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
weyerbacher.com

Style: Wheatwine

Wheatwine Ale celebrating brewing from 1995-2009, brewed with over 50% wheat malt.

Added by mikey711 on 07-09-2009

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

3.92/5  rDev +3.4%

Complex, tasty, unique. Fair amount of sweetness, but not overpowering in that regard. You won't believe it's 11.8%, until you finish it. Then you'll know. This makes you want to try the other anniversary ales, perhaps especially the earlier ones. This is a solid effort. Nice.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

4.09/5  rDev +7.9%

I found this bottle at knightly Spirits in Orlando (OBT) and I liked 16 so i decided to pick it up. This one is poured into my CCB snifter 30 minutes outside of the refrigerator.

Appearance: A murky hazy orangish beer. About a one finger head rose up and then settled to a film rather quickly, bubbles around the edge.

Smell: The smell is quite strong due to the strength of the underlying beer. From a distance I get citrus hops and alcohol. Up close, I sense a tangy malt backbone. I do not know that this is wheat except from the label, but I do know that it is not all malted barley. Similar to a big barleyewine.

Taste: A rather sweet beer, but this is not surprising considering how big the wort was. If there were sufficient hops to balance the malt, it has faded somewhat. Raisins and other dried fruit dominate but they are not dark fruit (dried black cherries one may find in an RIS). The taste is fruity and very enjoyable. The alcohol is noticeable in the nose but well hidden in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Quite a thick body, but not as thick as the biggest RISs. Again the carbonation is moderately low and appropriate.

Overall: I like this beer, but I like Sixteen better (only other Weyerbacher Anniversary that I have had). I will keep looking to find beers from the anniversary series. And, another brewery I wish Utah could have access to.

2.5/5  rDev -34%

3.92/5  rDev +3.4%

#BOTG 108. Something that's been in my cellar for awhile I've been curious about. So, here we go:

Poured from bottle into my CBS snifter. Pours a dark amber/brown color- very little head, slick appearance. Pretty cloudy. Smell- fusel alcohol, ripe banana, raisins, prunes, dark run soaked trifle caked, rum soaked fruits. candied booze and raisins is predominant flavor. Taste- boozy banana, brown sugar, raisins, alcohol heat burn. whoa. this one is still super hot after 3 yrs. its not a terrible thing, this one just warms your chest as you drink it. Big, boozy beer. I get some sweet caramel and plain candied sugar on the end, guessing an effect of the aging and mellowing booze. Mouthfeel is decent- slick with good carbonation. Overall, this will make a nice accompaniment to the Olympics tonight because I cant bear to watch the Astros play.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

Aged in the back of the beer fridge.

Dark orange pour with little to no head. Moderate amounts of thin lace all around the glass.

Big bret nose. Yeast and wheat malt define things. Get a decent amount of light dried fruit (apricot, figs, plums). Fairly bright and aggressive.

Flavor is fairly strong and aggressive, too, even after three years. Grainy up front, moves to a strong sweet flavor. Grapes, apricot, plum, raisin. Very fruity. Sweet finish, with just a twinge of sour. Alcohol is still very present as well.

Body is pretty thick. A little cloying, but I can live with that after 3 years.

Overall, a nice after dinner sipper to share.

Fourteen Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.