Fourteen Special Dark | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Fourteen Special DarkFourteen Special Dark
Fourteen Special DarkFourteen Special Dark

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States

Style: Wheatwine

Added by jzeilinger on 11-15-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.18/5  rDev +4.5%

a: Quickly vanishing head. Dark ruby red appearance. It actually looks beautiful.

s: Boozy and fruity. Plums and alcohol.

t: This bottle is at least a year old and the taste of the alcohol has receded to let the fruit come out. A bit sweet but nothing to complain about.

m: Smooth with little carbonation.

d: Overall it's pretty good. I have a few more of these left along with the regular Fourteen Ale. I need to do a side by side comparison one day.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Big thanks to Naugros for this bottle!

Found out later on that there was a dark version of Fourteen. I had to have it. Success. It pours a mostly clear dark garnet-brown topped by a finger of tan foam. The nose comprises caramel, candi-sugar, toffee, vanilla, dark wheat, light booze, and mandarin orange. The taste holds notes of mandarin orange syrup, caramel, light chocolate, dark wheat, light honey, candi sugar, brown sugar, and very light coffee. The body is a stolid medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a syrupy feel, and a kinda dry finish. Overall, a decidedly good wheatwine, one of the best I've yet had. More breweries need to take this route with their w-wines.

4.32/5  rDev +8%

Had this at the Brewery. I hadn't noticed that there were 2 different types of XIV on the market. Turned out to be a different batch of wheat that was sent to them and it makes it a darker version on the regular XIV. If you get the chance to try them side by side you'll be in for a treat. This Wheatwine is a cloudy brown color that reminds me of a Doppelbock or Eisbock mixed with a Dunkelweizen. The aroma is big and citrusy. Lots of things going on in there. Some dark fruits, and malts add to the aroma. The flavor is big too, lots of flavor here. I'm thinking that I get some kind of plum flavors mixed with the boozey flavors of rich malts and wheat. I agree with one of the reviews below, this beer is probably the next best thing to Founders Nemesis 2009. But the Nemesis wins every time.

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Pours a dark mohogany. Some ruby red around the edges. A nice creamy tan head tops it off.

S: Dark fruits, rum and spice. Dark molasses and caramel.

T: So the taste is close to ghe original fourteen but there's an added twist. The dark malts at a definite coffee/chocolate characteristic. It's most noticeable on the finish. Lots of roasted qualities.

M: No complaints. Smooth and easy to drink. In fact it's crazy easy to drink for 12%. Almost scarey.

Overall: I can't believe the darker malts make this much of A difference. The roasted coffee and chocolate aNd smokiness really add to this. It's smooth and the alcohol is so unnoticable it couldbe a problem. Great beer. They should have made this one the focal release over the regular version.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

4.6/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

huge thanks to rich who scored me this

blackness comes from the bottle and is nearly impervious to any light. think head of light tan laces the top and leaves a decent amount of lacing down the sides of the glass.

aroma is one of the most hoppy beer that i have ever come across in my life. just an amazingly hoppy beer. thick citrus notes just come across from the very first moment i get close to it. an amazing amount hops squeezed into this beer. each sip shreds the palate with a mesmerizing amount of rich nugget like goodness. such a super dry finish with an amazingly complex profile that you just cannot believe it packed into a beer

overall i am floored and one of the most amazingly complex and hoppy beers i have ever had in my life.

4.62/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cellared a year.

A: Looks like a super light black until you hold it up to the light then it is a super dark garnet color. A little bit of brown head with decent head retention.

S: The nose is of dark fruits right up front. Dates and raisins. Almost has a port like quality to it as well. There is a bit of booze but nothing like when this beer was fresh. Really am loving the nose on this beer.

T: Wow. Super complex. Lots of dark fruits. Tons of malt. Almost has the taste of an eisbock in a lot of ways. Dates raisins. This is up there for me with Founders Nemesis 09 in terms of complexity.

M: Thick body just short of feeling heavy. Carbonation is minimal.

D: This beer is a monster but I love it. This never made it to NY but a friend in PA gave me two bottles a year ago. Wish I would have grabbed more. An absolute joy.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

Before I raise my Hennepin goblet to my lips, let me pause & give thanks to msulinski & beerisheaven, who both have provided me with bottle/s of this brew. It seems I have been thanking these two guys a lot lately...

Pours a deep polished mahogany that's been buffed to further darkness; a still life of loveliness, even the tiny bubbles of the head freeze in place. A shocking fist of alcohol pummels from the glass. Once I regain consciousness, there are bananas & wheat to be found drowning in wood alcohol.

One sip & I remove the car keys from my pocket, toss them somewhere, & promptly forget where they are. If alcohol were a religious icon, this would be the holy grail. Shania Twain-hot alcohol erupts from Fourteen Special Dark, even after a year in the cellar. The dark wheat adds a cool dimension to this beer, subduing the wheatiness & grassy notes while emphasizing the bananas & heavy malts. A serious vinuous quality asserts itself that I never noted in the "original" version of Fourteen, adding another dimension. Candied sugars, honey, Wrigley's Spearmint Gum, my old motorcycle jacket, clean air...there's so much going on in this beer I'm running out of words to describe it.

I am slugging this. After trying to sip, I find that I can't. This might be the first beer I've ever finished before I've completed writing the review.

Well, wow. Fourteen was borderline excellent; this is Stephen Strasburg. The alcohol is certainly overwhelming, but the depth & breadth of this brew is beyond remarkable, it's epic. Going back now to put this on the permanent want list. Absolutely amazing.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Fourteen Special Dark from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4 out of 5 with 37 ratings