Fourteen Special Dark | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Fourteen Special DarkFourteen Special Dark
Fourteen Special DarkFourteen Special Dark

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States

Style: Wheatwine

Added by jzeilinger on 11-15-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.62/5  rDev -9.5%

Brownish in color, mostly opaque with some light glowing through at the edges. It's kinda like muddy lake water visually. No head to speak of, except a little ring of bubbles gathering at the outer edge of the glass.

Smells a little of old leather with a pervading chemical smell, almost like turpentine. It's killing me to say that about a Weyerbacher offering, but it's what's coming through to me. To be fair, the wheat is coming through and that combined with the vinous notes of the alcohol is what is responsible for this odor I'm getting.

It tastes a little better than it smells. The sense of old leather is still there and the vinous flavor dominates the back of the mouth, but there is a lingering bitterness there as well. There is a thick sweetness to the front of the tongue as well reminiscent of peaches.

The carbonation is pretty low which explains the lack of a head. I'd prefer more carbonation with a medium-bodied brew since this has a slight viscous feel to it, and not in a good way.

Okay, to be fair, I've never had a wheat wine before. I didn't much like barley wines when I first tried them, but now I really do appreciate them. Perhaps this style is another acquired taste. So I'll need to keep that in mind when giving my final numbers.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

3.03/5  rDev -24.3%

got this in secret santa 09,

I didn't realize they did two versions of their 14th aniv beer, was slightly confused for a while. poured super dark, nice roastedness to it. lots of spice in aroma, but not overpowering in taste. medium/full body with light carbs, good beer, but nothing special

4/5  rDev 0%

Been awhile since I reviewed. Do I even remember how? Anyway, this beer was bought at the 2009 Riserva release at the brewery.

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Weyerbacher tulip a dark copper with major red tones to it. A thin, wispy head forms but quickly dissipates to just a collar.

SMELL: The aromas hit you as soon as you pour. Big time fruity aroma (cherries mostly) with some sherry-type oxidation beneath. I really can't over this fruit though. Pretty remarkable.

TASTE: A slight bit of fluffy wheat is hidden well by deeper, darker flavors. The fruit is strong here too, and it's backed up by an alcoholic warmth (the good kind). It finishes a bit empty which is disappointing. I'd prefer a bigger, fuller maltiness to round it out.

MOUTHFEEL: Dryer than expected. The carbonation was still strong too. Both those do lead to faster consumption, but unfortunately are not what I'd like from the style.

DRINKABILITY: Now here it excels. I'm nearly halfway through my glass already and don't plan on slowing down. It should make for a nice evening.

Damn, I wish I'd bought more of these. It's NOTHING like it tasted fresh (which wasn't particularly good) but I'm glad I took a chance on a bottle at the time.

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%

a: Quickly vanishing head. Dark ruby red appearance. It actually looks beautiful.

s: Boozy and fruity. Plums and alcohol.

t: This bottle is at least a year old and the taste of the alcohol has receded to let the fruit come out. A bit sweet but nothing to complain about.

m: Smooth with little carbonation.

d: Overall it's pretty good. I have a few more of these left along with the regular Fourteen Ale. I need to do a side by side comparison one day.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

4/5  rDev 0%

3.92/5  rDev -2%

Tasted after well over a year in my cellar, not sure when it was brewed.

Fourteen Special Dark is wow a dark wheat wine which looks clean, up to the light a brilliant dark ruby red hue gives this beer a appealing drink me look. I also took notice to the extensive alcohol legs on the side of my glass. The smell is phenomenal. I detect strong sweet wheat notes followed by a subtle alcohol presence. I also detect some slight caramel in the smell which is neat. The taste is sweet sweet maltiness with a dry strong wheat flavor that is tied together with some slightly bitter roasted notes. I also detect a slightly off after taste that may be some oxidation it seems almost cardboard like and beyond dry so I will chalk it up to the cellar. I would call this beer a sipper and a good beer two years out. I think it might have been aged a bit too long.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Fourteen Special Dark from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4 out of 5 with 37 ratings