Merry Monks | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Merry MonksMerry Monks

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
weyerbacher.com

Style: Tripel

Merry Monks, 9.3% ABV, is a Belgian-style Tripel. Pilsner malt combined with an Abbey yeast strain yields a remarkable and complex flavor packed with notes of spice, banana and pear. Nicely balanced, with a moderate to dry finish.

Merry Monks is bottle conditioned which imparts a special effervescence to the beer and a creamier carbonation. The ongoing fermentation inside the bottle will change the character of the beer as it ages and you’ll find it becomes dryer with age. You may want to lay down a few bottles for future evaluation. We suggest storing at cellar temperatures (around 55°F) and away from light.

This brew is available year-round. Keep your eye out for Merry Monks in 25 oz. cork-and-cage champagne bottles for an exceptional experience!

Added by SheepNutz on 09-13-2001

Ratings: 2,354 |  Reviews: 811
3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a golden, hazy color with a tight white bubbly head.

Smells of sour yeast, malty whole grain bread, dark fruit, and floral notes.

Taste is raspberry, tart cherries and sour bread giving way to some biscuit malt and finishing with dry bitter herb.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was poured into a chalice and a tulip for me. The appearance was a nice looking hazy orange to golden yellow color with a decent one finger white foamy head that quickly dies to a film coating the top of the beer. There was some light speckled lacing gracing the sides of the glass. The aroma had some Belgian spices over coating a nice sweet sugared fruit/candi like maltiness. The taste was mainly sweet and spicy through the Belgian spices and the sugary sweetness. On the palate, this one sat at/about a light to medium on the body. Sessionability - not really as I found myself sipping this one for the most part. The carbonation seemed fairly good the tripel style. Overall, good tripel worthy of having again.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz bottle poured into a chalice.

A: Yeast was roused, so it poured a bit hazy. Light golden color with tawny hues. Fine bubbled head settles after a bit.

S: Soft, biscuity malt. Strong banana esters, juicy fruit. Chalky yeast undertones. Pepper and clove.

T: Biscuity malt base. Strong peppery phenols, medicinal too. Yeasty and with a lot of yeast-driven spicy flavors. Bold tropical esters and notes of banana. Spike of alcohol. Yeasty and medicinal finish.

M: Medium bodied, full and a touch chewy. Very assertive and sharp carbonation practically sandblasts the tongue. Warming alcohol.

O: Bold strokes from this tripel. It takes no prisoners. For a long time it was perhaps the best of its style brewed Stateside, but the industry has caught up. There are now others that achieve a finer balance and drink more easily. You feel every bit of the 9.3% here, and the flavors seem to vie for sole power rather then jell. Still a venerable beer that did much to introduce the style to many a beer geek, and it should be respected as such.

4.07/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.86/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

This one has an ever so slight slight off or harsh taste in the middle of its flavor profile to my preferences, but it's a nice and authentic Tripel that's overall quite pleasing and available for cheaper than many of its competitors. In particular, the mouth feel with an assertive, but not overwhelming carbonation bloom can stand with the best. And by no means am I thrashing the flavor, it's actually nice, just not my favorite for a Tripel (but I love Triples, so it still tastes great).

I'd suggest letting it sit for at least a few months as it can be a bit peppery if consumed fresh, but it really mellows nicely. I'm quite curious what would happen if I let it sit for a year, but haven't gotten that far yet.

For me it's definitely a beer that I'll continue to have on stock and keep going back to, though in rotation with other triples (like Allagash or La Fin Du Monde in particular). It's probably the best price on what I would consider an authentic Tripel that I'm seeing in Northern Virginia (it decisively beats out a few other cheaper ones that I won't mention by name).

4.44/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

An old favorite, from one of Pennsylvanias best and most innovative breweries. I like the newer label ,reminds us that this brew is made with a real abbey yeast strain and is a take on a European abbey trippel. Golden colored hazy a creamy white head.Poured quickly the head really foams up starts to disappear after a few minutes. Aroma of banana clove and pear and tastes exactly like the smell .The flavors are excellently balanced with the 9.3% alcohol ...other American brewers aim for this balance but often don't achieve it.A beer which doesn't pair well with most foods but I've enjoyed it with chocolate and chocolate desserts and sipping after a good meal is always enjoyable.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.56/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Golden and hazy in a chimay glass. Sweet, a multitude of flavors, then a slightly liqueur alcohol aftertaste. Well above average tripel. Similar mouthfeel, look and flavor as Fat tire's Tripel, but with more complex flavors. But alcohol not as well hidden.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A-pours a yellow golden color with a white sudsy head with average retention
S-banana, clove, honey, cracked pepper
T-more banana and clove, pear, sweet banana flavor in the finish
M-medium bodied with above average carbonation
O-delicious triplel, abv is well hidden, nice complex fruity flavors

4.54/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Yellow /orange cloudy color. Aroma of clove,spice, and some fruit.good amount of carbonation and a mellow amount of heat despite the high abv. Taste is identical to smell but more complex with different spice,fruit and yeast coming through. I think American triples get judged against beers like westmalle which is in a league of its own. This is one of my favorite beers and I always have a few stored waiting to be opened. Have had it on tap at the brewery and in bottle and can't praise it enough

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

1 pint 9.4 FL. oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled 3/14/2016. Almost a year before opened

L - Has a delightful cloudy orange tint and leaves a hefty head residue on the glass
S - Banana, clove, spices
T - Just like the nose, very spiced forward and delicious. Nutmeg and cinnamon are also very distinct.
F - Amazing carbonation and very easy to drink

My grandfather gave me one of these and I am thankful for that since I see these all the time but I skip over them. I love my hefeweizen's ester flavors so this hits me right in the good spot. I will be on the look out for what else they do!

3.46/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

4.16/5  rDev +8.6%

How in THE heck have I not reviewed this one previously? I recently began a new job at the reopened & revamped Molly's Carryout & today (Day 3), I got assigned to prestage one of our upcoming distributor's orders. That meant a good bit of time spent in the cooler where I found a number of hidden gems in the Mix-n-Match section, including this one. I assembled a sweet sixer before knocking off for the evening & coming home.

From the bottle: "Belgian-Style Tripel Ale".

It is somehow at once both stunning & ironic that I have not reviewed this beer until now. Those that may know me IRL will attest to the fact that I am often dressed in the garb of Brother Woody of The Order of Disorder, my homage to these brewing pioneers. I could only bring myself to perform a gentle pour once I had Pop!ped the cap. The Merry Monks encourage silence & it was not my intent to stir things up. Heck, I was even reluctant to give it an in-glass swirl until Bro. Dan gave me the nod. It did not really seem to matter how hard I agitated it, I could not raise much more than a brief finger of fizzy, bone-white head that was simply determined to fall back to wisps. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity & since they had not left following the previous beer, the Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus did an about-face & came charging in for a sip. I just can't win at times. Nose was very fruity, like white grapes, pears, green apples and golden raisins. Mmmm. I am really anticipating this one! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not as carbonated as I had expected, but blanketing on my tongue. The taste remained very fruity, especially of grapes & pears, but there was also good bit of fusel alcohol heat to remind me to go slowly. It had a vinousness like white wine and I had been discussing just this kind of taste earlier today with a sales rep. It did not have the oakiness that some white wines evince, but it did have that grape-y flavor with a dry heat. Finish was quite dry and slightly hot. The bottle indicated that it could age for up to two years so I am going to snag another one & put it in my cellar. This deserves another visit, but with some age on the next one.

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Merry Monks from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.