Merry Monks | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Merry MonksMerry Monks

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Tripel

Merry Monks, 9.3% ABV, is a Belgian-style Tripel. Pilsner malt combined with an Abbey yeast strain yields a remarkable and complex flavor packed with notes of spice, banana and pear. Nicely balanced, with a moderate to dry finish.

Merry Monks is bottle conditioned which imparts a special effervescence to the beer and a creamier carbonation. The ongoing fermentation inside the bottle will change the character of the beer as it ages and you’ll find it becomes dryer with age. You may want to lay down a few bottles for future evaluation. We suggest storing at cellar temperatures (around 55°F) and away from light.

This brew is available year-round. Keep your eye out for Merry Monks in 25 oz. cork-and-cage champagne bottles for an exceptional experience!

Added by SheepNutz on 09-13-2001

Reviews: 791 | Ratings: 2,284
2.43/5  rDev -36.4%

This one is a bit hazy and has a very pale golden color. The head is a small layer of white foam that delivers almost no lacing.
The aroma is fruity with a strong yeast presence.
The flavor is candy sweet. It’s like a cherry and apple flavored wine.
Mouth feel is medium bodied and actively carbonated.

The sweetness of this ale is just a bit over the top for my likings.

2.9/5  rDev -24.1%

Light gold color. Cidery, plastic and glue laden nose, with hints of apple and pear. Pretty vibrant, but not exactly nice smelling. Sweet tasting, with an undeniable plastic feel in both the flavor and aroma. Mostly apple and pear flavors, with well hidden alcohol. But, this is a typical American Belgian creation, not that good.

3.51/5  rDev -8.1%

Weyerbacher continues to not disappoint me. This Tripel was purchased as part of a variety case (as I live in PA where beer cannot be purchased in any other fashion). As a novice craft beer lover, I have only had one other Tripel and that was Victory's Golden Monkey. This beer, I believe, is better.

I've always enjoyed Weyerbacher's beer, considering I'm in PA and I try to buy local. Their variety never ceases to impress me. I have read that this beer is best enjoyed aged, but I couldn't help but jump right in (not to mention the fact that I lack a good beer aging cellar).

It pours a nice golden color and smells strong, as I assume a good high alc. content brew should. The taste is surprising sweet and smooth, but the alcohol is clearly evident after swallowing. I'm most impressed by the drinkability of this beer at over 9% ABV. It is clearly the type of beer best enjoyed with a hearty meal or at the end of a VERY long day.

I really liked this beer and I am convinced to continue trying tripels whenever I have the opportunity. I like Weyerbacher's plain and unassuming label; they clearly want the beer to speak for itself. This label features monks tying one on in the cellar of their monastary by candle-light. I have to say that I can't blame them.

3.37/5  rDev -11.8%

I've had this one in the cellar for almost a year. Pours a dark golden color. No head at all on this one, but it's not flat, there is a steady stream of bubbles coming from the bottom of the goblet. Smell is very fruity, my first impression was appricot. Other smells that come through are the high alcohol and a candy sweetness. The taste gives you a big blast of sweetness up front. Eventually some yeast spicyness comes through and it finishes with some alcohol burning notes. This is definately a sipper, which fits the style. An OK attempt at the style but i can't whole heartedly recomend this one.

4.24/5  rDev +11%

My first taste of this one was over a year ago, and it was excellent, though due to conditions beyond my control (a friend of mine not having anything but plastic cups) I grudgingly drank it out of the bottle. This time it was poured into my favorite goblet (Moinette), so here goes:

Golden-yellow body under a weak head that disappears quickly, nothing amazing visually.

I think of red lollipops on the first smell...not necessarily cherry but something semi-sour, sweet and candy-like. Bready malts arrive next, and finally a yeasty aroma waves through.

The drink delivers a cherry/apple flavor, with a complex spice array, and even the known ingredients (malts, hops, yeast) are present and well-balanced. Mild cinnamon bitterness in the aftertaste. Mildly tangy and tart, but full-bodied enough to feel like beer. Creamy with just a slight bite in the effervesence.

So refreshing that I can't consider it anything but highly drinkable. That lively and complex flavor and overall refreshing personality will keep me coming back for more.

2.53/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured a slightly opaque orange/yellow body with a small white head that died almost immediately.

Nose consisted of strong alcohol notes, tropical fruits and yeast. Sort of a muted triple smell that almost slightly borders on american macro.

Taste is medium bodied and has an odd carbonation. It's so fine that if you take a quick sip and swallow it tastes flat, but if you hold it in your mouth it has this huge tiny bubbled carbonation. Taste is yeast, phenols, alcohol, herbal and very medicinal. Sort of tastes like cough syrup that's gone bad. Strong tart and sour tastes that border on lambic Pears, tart granny smith apples, rhubarb even. A mild bitterness that hides in the back with just enough to add some subtle balance.

The more Weyerbacher I try, the more I don't want to try anything else they make. It's an OK triple, but just misses the key points. I'm not sure if it's the yeast strain or what, but it's sort of like looking at pictures negative. It's sort of a triple in reverse. All the flavors you want to taste are subtle, then the subtle balancing flavors are in the forefront. It's definatly a unique beer, but it basically tastes, imo, like a poor american attempt at a Belgian.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

I dunno about this one. I sampled this one from on tap and I recall that being delicious...I really enjoyed Prophecy...
Requires further investigation.
Everything about this seemed muddled to me. The look, the smell, the taste, the feel... stuff was out of place. This does taste like a logical progression between a dubbel and quadrupel, but/and it tastes unfinished in that way. Malty sweet without some of the tartness or dryness I've gotten out of the better tripels out there.

3.4/5  rDev -11%

Bottle : Poured a shiny yellow color ale with a medium white foamy head with great retention. Aroma is quite sweet but I could not find any trace of yeast. Taste is also very candy-like sweet with a thinner body then expected. Seems like this was filtered and it is a shame because it leaves the beer a bit one-dimensional. So overall, not a bad beer but definitely lacking complexity.

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

This one grew on me quickly. This poured a nice hazy orange color with a very small head, nice lacing. There was lots of crap floating around inside.The aroma punches you in the face and at first was not very pleasant(It kinda of smelled like wood stain). But the sweet fruityness saves the day; very nice and aromatic. Medium body here. If I had to make up a word to describe the flavor i would use "wood-berry". Because it tastes woody and has some berry flavor. There is even a hint of snapple tea! Nutty also. The flavors are kinda weird at first and I haven't had a tripel quite like this before but it is probably the most drinkable one I have had. Just give it a good amount of sippage and it will grow on you and feel right at home in your mouth. Nice and complex.

3.66/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This one was part of a Weyerbacher 'Big Beers' Sampler pack.

Given the high ABV of this and all of the 'Big Beers', i recommend laying them down for a while after you've purchased them. Im not sure if their flavors have grown on me, or if they've really matured in the three months since I drank the first bunch of these beers, but it seems to make a difference.

Appearance is hazy golden maize color, with suspended particles and some fallout at the bottom. The head doesnt last long on this one.

Smell is strong, the yeast and malt really come out.

Taste is fairly consistent from the time it hits your tounge til the time you swallow it. A wine-like tartness and frutiness pervades the flavor with a strong malt support, though tart is the key word with this beer. Aftertaste reminiscent of a pilsner.

Mouthfeel smooth, effervescent.

Drinkability is limited by the alcohol content, although I could easily drink three over a couple hours.

Not bad. Typical Wyerbacher.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

Brown bottle, with 3 monks in red robes on the label, looking very Merry!, this poured a hazy golden, thin creamy collar, all the way down, lots of bubbles.
aroma reminded me of a Hefe-weizen kinda sweet and slight vanilla fragrance.
taste was smooth rich and tangycitrusy/spicy. A little too tangy for my taste.
good mouthfeel, not as watery as some of these tend to be, slight dryness on the finish, creamy coating, on the tongue.
drinkability, I'd say is high, not in the league of Rochefort, or Westy, but nice never the less, worth a go, although this has a high abv, you don't really detect a strong alcohol presence.

3.22/5  rDev -15.7%

Purchased as a part of a variety case from Weyerbacher.

Having this one from the bottle. As such, apperarance is average.

Aroma is very pungent. Very fruity and floral. Lots going on in the bottle. I should have poured this one is a flute or wine class. Maybe next time.

Taste is a bit confusing. Sweeter than I expected. Tastes like pears, apples, with some darker fruits. Grains are poking in and out. Rosey if sipped. Feels pretty carbonated as expected. I'll give this one a medium to light body. Focusing on the feel, it's lighther than it tastes and smells, given the complex aroma and flavor.

Not craving another, drinkability not so good.

Overall: Glad to see it in the variety pack. Has the "Weyerbacher" distinct characteristics. Wouldn't but a whole case of this stuff.

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured a lovely golden color with orange hues throughout. My Petrus goblet was filled with foam that sat nicely and left behind plenty of lacing. Aromas of yeast, alcohol, robust spices, and dried fruit. The taste is just great with lingering fruit-derived sweetness that leaves a moderate to dry finish and coats the tongue nicely. Hints of candy and sugar coated dried fruit seem to jump out as the beer warms. Despite the high ABV, this drink was very enjoyable and suprisingly smooth. Aging this beer would give it a more dry finish with a bit more crisp texture.

2.07/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is simply horrible. I dont know, maybe its me and maybe I dont like whatever is going on in this beer, or maybe I got a bad one, but boy is this bad. I bought 2, so I will check out the next and hop for my $4 or so's sake that it too doesnt get poured down the drain like the first one did.

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Weyerbacher Merry Monks
12 oz brown bottle
Served in a Brooklyn Weisse glass

* New Year's Eve 2005 *

Pours a hazy golden yellow. Fluffy white head on top of the glass.

Interesting nose with whiffs of powder, nuts, cloves, fruit and spices.

Spicy on the tongue and so darn smooth for a tripel that rings in at 9.3% ABV. Taste has a grainy nutty yeast effect with a sharp, syrupy-sweet highlight. Flavors of cloves and black pepper too.

This is one solid beer from Weyerbacher.

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a cloudy golden. Not much of a head and no lacing to speek of. Smell was fruity. Mouthfeel was like that of a wine cooler. In fact,this beer tastes like a really sweet fruity wine cooler. I did not care for Golden Monkey the first time I tried this tripel style beer, so this is a personal taste issue. Just not my style, but I wanted to give it another shot anyway!

4.12/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance – Poured into a snifter. Little head, small but nice carbonation action. Copper orange color and clear.

Smell – Hits you right up front, floral, fruity, estery.

Taste – Sweet, bananas, fruity…

Mouthfeel – Pleasant mouthfeel, very smooth. A little alcohol on the finish.

Drinkability – For the price this is very drinkable. Light body.

Notes – First review in the style. Tried this with a blue cheese and a cheddar but
wasn’t impressed with either pairing.

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%

Hazy apricot color with low to no carbonation and a trace-like off-white head. Aroma of "freezer burnt vanilla bean ice cream" is what first comes to mind... turns a bit spicy with strong alcohol on the nose and light fruitiness. Fairly nice spicy, heavy alcohol, and light fruit flavors on the dry-ish side. Medium bodied and smooth but a bit light considering low carbonation.

Not really tripel-ish but a decent Strong Belgian Pale Ale.

Per WBC website: Bottle Conditioned. Pilsner Malts.

'04' embossed on bottom (aged for a year maybe)
Tasted: 12/02/05

($1.99 / 12 oz.)

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

I poured this into a Duvel tulip and was truly excited by the golden peachy color and voluminous head. The aroma was quite nice with a swirl or two, yeasty and fruity.

The taste was largely too sweet, and intensely fruity bordering on acidic and caustic at times; the beer does settle and becomes rather quenching based upon th ecitrus quality.

Paired with the right cuisine, or on a hot day with this sufficiently chilled, it would be largely quite drinkable.

3.05/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance: Light straw color with a small head.

Smell: Very sweet malt aroma with a little spice.

Taste: Hot with alcohol. Very very sweet on the palate with a little bit of spice. Almost too sweet.

Mouthfeel: A little light. I look for more body on a higher abv brew.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a medium gold color. The smell is very very sweet and fruity. The taste follows in the same vein, and is extremely fruity. A huge burst of sweetness and a flavor that I'm thinking is apple hit the tongue initially, and then some other fruit notes come out. The finish is a bit sour, and that is why I'm giving it a 4.0 instead of a 3.5. If there is any bitterness to this I can't taste it.

It feels fine in the mouth. I couldn't taste the alcohol, and it didn't even really warm my throat like strong brews usually do. The sweetness stays in the mouth for a very long time, and is actually fairly pleasant. It isn't syrupy either.

I think it is a bit unbalanced, and I don't think I'll be drinking this very often, but it fits the style pretty well. The style just isn't my favorite. I think this would be something good to give someone who normally drink alcopops to show her that she can drink something that is still sweet, but doesn't taste like robitussin. It'd be good to have occasionally as a change of pace too.

4.24/5  rDev +11%

Pours a very pretty gold with an orange tint. There are some tiny floaters in there. A one-half finger head of white bubbles forms on top, which quickly fades to a scant ring around the glass. Still, there are some pieces of lacing here and there.

Aroma is Belgiany, peppery, cloves, bubble gum, yeast, honey, light pils malt, wonderful. Not too much in the way of hop smell, but pretty much in the way of phenolics.

The first flavor is sweet pils malt, quickly followed by cloves, black pepper, bubble gum, clover honey, and bright fruits like apples and pears. Sweetness dominates this beer; not much in the way of hop bitterness or flavor. This is a pretty good tripel. Aftertaste is very sweet and long.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, with soft carbonation. At 9.3%, the alcohol is very well hidden, indeed. I can hardly detect any heat at all. Finish is lip-smacking sweet.

This is a damn good tripel. I'm disappointed by the head retention, but for flavor, complexity, and drinkability, this would be tough to beat. Highly recommended.

2.7/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Nice head. Initially like a yesty Unibroue, but then Sour and acidic. Not finishable. Too dry, too carbonated. cloves are shocking to palate. Lemongrass does only sour it further. Medicinal.And too much alcohol. How can this be improved? Back to the drawing board.

Presentation: 12oz brown glass longneck US generic bottle, multicolored label

Appearance: golden orange color, small head, minor, but sticky laceing

Smell: strong alcohol, some fruitness and medicine

Taste: medium body, strong alcohol, nuttiness, herbs, spiciness, minor hops

Notes: not the best of the style, but pretty good one

3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

WellI went through an entire six pack over the course of six weeks and, apparently, I didn't rate this mofo! Oops!

Here it goes...

This stuff is great but the appearance and smell leave something to be desired. Pours a nice dark honey color, great color, but where's the head? I'm asking you, where the F did it go? I see no head. I like some head on my Belgians. Not much carbonation also, but I think that's paritally a good thing. I don't want champagne in my beer. Nose is a little subdued, which is good and bad. It's hiding the 9.3% really well, but it's kinda weak. Minor fruits, a little maltiness, not much there. But, the taste is pretty powerful. Good balance of heavy malts, nice fruitiness (pear, lemon?) and the alcohol is peaking out ever so slightly, but not acridity. Thankfully. Mouthfeel is moderately smooth, but I think it's a little weak for the style. Overall, though, damn man I really do like this beer. Anything that I can down and then be happy for awhile is 2 thumbs up for me.

Merry Monks from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.