Idiot's Drool | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Idiot's DroolIdiot's Drool
Liked This Beer
2.6 w/ 136 ratings
Idiot's DroolIdiot's Drool

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
weyerbacher.com

Style: Old Ale

Idiot's drool is Blithering Idiot barrel aged for 4.5 years. A full-bodied, deep burgundy ale with an incredibly complex character. Extended aging has imbued this beer with notes of vanilla, oak, leather and sweet sherry. A mild acidity and subtle carbonation rounds out the palate. 840 bottle brewery only release.

Added by ShogoKawada on 10-07-2011

Liked:
2.6/5
Alströms:

1.96/5  rDev -24.6%

Not sure if it was Dan or Frank who contributed this gem, but thanks! Served in a Hill Farmstead glass.

A - Quick-dissolving tan foam settles to nothing. Murky dark brown body. Not horrendous for the style, but a tad disappointing.

S - Smells like standing water/outdoor pool, mixed with light burnt and brown sugars, BBQ sauce, and mild acetobacter. Some oak and oxidation as well.

T - Wood, oxidation, and light vinegar. Actually quite bland - so bland I wrote it twice it seems. The alcohol is well-hidden, but this is largely devoid of flavor, and what is there isn't very appealing.

M - Medium-full body, low carbonation, and somewhat watery. Some tannic oak in the finish, and thankfully minimal alcohol. Not offensive I suppose.

D - I can only speculate what caused this disaster of a beer. I'm guessing they had an infected batch Blithering Idiot and keep aging it in barrels, hoping that it would eventually turn into something halfway decent. It seems like they just decided to cut their losses on this one by passing on the expense to the customer. If someone had told me this was water barrel-aged in third use Angel's Share barrels I probably would have believed it. I don't have a problem with bretted old ales, but this was just terrible.

look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

From 11/20/13 notes. Have been holding onto a bottle yourefragile picked up for me at the release for a long time after hearing bad things, in hopes time would help the booze fade. 750ml bottle poured into my Cigar City snifter.

a - Pours a murky reddish brown color with no head or carbonation evident. Doesn't look too good.

s - Smells of alcohol, caramel malts, dates, figs, sweet dark fruits, solvent, and lightly sour dark fruits. Sweet and sour, and not a very good mix. Too much alcohol, though not as offensive as I was expecting.

t - This is more what I was expecting (and hoping was not the case). Tastes of alcohol, solvent, sour dark fruits, sugar, harsh bourbon, vinegar, and molasses. Taste what I imagine cleaning products taste like, and vinegar. Very bad tasting.

m - Medium body and no carbonation. High alcohol heat in the taste and extremely harsh.

o - Overall I was hoping it wouldn't be as bad as I had heard it was, but it was just awful. The look and mouthfeel are not great, the nose is worse, and the taste is downright awful, full or harsh alcohol and sugar. I like boozy and sweet beers more than most people and this was a complete drainpour; I couldn't choke down more than 5oz.'s of this one. Would never have again.

2.06/5  rDev -20.8%

Free samples were being poured at the release by Weyerbacher. Even though I was shut out of getting my allotment, I still was able to sample a few times. Poured into a sampler glass.

A: Mahogany brown colored body with absolutely no head, lace or retention of any kind. These were being poured and placed on the table so by the time I got it, anything that was there would have settled out. Bleak looking.

S: Rich dark cherries, sweet maple syrup, a bit of funky brett and a robust caramel malt base. The oak wood really opens up towards the back end of the aroma bringing in a hint of an alcohol note with it.

T: Whoa, that is unlike anything I've had before. At first, there's a very sweet maple syrup flavor along with some great wood notes and bourbon. End of the palate brings in a bit of tartness and funk with a black cherry fruity element. Brown sugar is in the finish.

M: Really no carbonation, thick and syrupy. I would like more carbonation although the syrupy texture of this beer is different.

Honestly, there's nothing like this beer out there that I've ever tried before. The combination of flavors is very unique, glad I was able to try but not worth the money.

2.08/5  rDev -20%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.12/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

2.47/5  rDev -5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I got to sample this at Capones Black Friday event courtesy of Centennial, thanks a ton Steve, I'm so glad I got to try it.

Poured from a 750 bottle that had warmed up into a tasting glass.

A: A deep murky dark brown color with no head and no glass lacing.

S: Heavy fruit smells with some sourness. I'm getting some cider notes with some barnyard must and lots of alcohol.

T: Ok, this is different. I got mostly apple cider type flavors with some sour cherry. Then the musty flavors of leather, wood, wet hay, slight barnyard funk and sourness that leads to an almost soy sauce type flavor. Finish is tart and alcoholic.

M: Full, sour, coating, alcoholic and very little carbonation. Very thick viscous liquid.

O: I can't believe this is how Weyerbacher wanted to this beer to turn out, it just is not appealing in any way. As a couple of us noted it almost tasted infected.

I'm sorry to those who rated this beer highly and bought a bunch of them, but to pay $ 23 a bottle and get this product is unacceptable. This is a bad beer, no way around it. Great ideas often go awry and this one has done just that.

2.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Idiot's Drool from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 17.6% out of 100 with 136 ratings