Idiot's Drool | Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

poor
Idiot's DroolIdiot's Drool

Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
weyerbacher.com

Style: Old Ale

Idiot's drool is Blithering Idiot barrel aged for 4.5 years. A full-bodied, deep burgundy ale with an incredibly complex character. Extended aging has imbued this beer with notes of vanilla, oak, leather and sweet sherry. A mild acidity and subtle carbonation rounds out the palate. 840 bottle brewery only release.

Added by ShogoKawada on 10-07-2011

3.62/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to msulinski for picking me up a bottle of this beer, one I had to have immediately after reading about its release. If you ever have a chance to trade with Marc, jump. This box was one of many that have left me knocked on my ass.

Big 750 ML bottle with minimalist artwork, the cork come free with a gentle sigh. Pour is instantly recognizable as liquid rust, with an equal amount of head & carbonation to that noble metal. Smell is deep & dank, like nothing, edible or otherwise, I've ever experienced. Lanky oak, oiled leather, sharp tannins, almost acidic at points.

Idiot's Drool is sharper than a +2 Dagger of Unknown Oddness. Whatever bugs were introduced are in control, leaving a tartness overlaying the rest of the brew. Underneath is a sheet of flexible brown leather, & a strong shot of wine that almost crosses into vinegar when coupled with the tartness. Bourbon is visible only as a warmth in the back of the throat. Acidic. Oak is wickedly drying, puckering. Other stuff links up that's not so identifiable. This cretin has more layers than the rainforest. It is flat, but hey. Plowering through half the bomber is going to take at least 1/3 of a Lord of the Rings disk.

Not sure how to rate this. Tasty? Yes. Bizarre? Yes. Drinkable? Uhhh. Bravo for the effort & the gorgeous complexity. Ultimately, a good beer that breathes on the mirror of great. Almost.

1.66/5  rDev -35.9%

thanks damico for the swap. anxious (more in the nervous way) to try this one. poured into a duck rabbit snifter.

a - cork came out with no pop. a hard pour yields no head an no carbonation. this thing is flat and doesn't look promising. old ale coloring of deep brown with a reddish tint to the light, but there is simply no life in this beer.

s - boozy nutmeg. dark fruits. some cherry. did i mention heat?

t - wow, sludgy. i took a big gulp and that was a mistake. a bit of sourness with old ale flavors deep under lots of booze. sadly this is not good. had there been some carbonation this could've been not too bad...but the sludgy thickness and flatness make this worse than discovering an unfinished beer in the morning and deciding to give it a whirl. like a shitty wine.

m - my mouth feels like it is not looking happy.

o - overall i went into this with an open mind, but sadly i am unable to get through a pour of this. it is flat. it is boozy and sludgy. if just taste like a beer that has gone bad. like a growler that wasn't opened even close to fresh. the flavoring isn't great, but the flatness makes it undrinkable. i could potentially make it through a glass of this if i sipped it all night (like a poorly made mixed drink or liquor)...but why do that? hello drain...here i come.

2.61/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Edit: After revisiting this a couple times, it has gotten worse and is now virtually undrinkable...

Pours a dark hazy muddy brown color with zero head. Attempts to swirl and induce any head is futile; very minimal spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with dark dark fruits, leather, oak and light light bourbon. As it warms more you get apple skin and vinous grape notes. Some sherry/light oxidation notes are also present. Really complex...

The tastes begin quite tart surprisingly. Dark dark fruits, booze soaked dark toasted bread, sour cherry and vinous dry soaked oak. As I further sample I get more complex flavors of leather, Brett barnyard funk/mustiness and some pitted stone fruits. Once again really complex and different than anything I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with zero carbonation, which I usually hate but I don't mind it here. Finish is super dry and oaky which is expected for 4 years of barrel aging.

Overall I am really pleased with this beer. As others have stated, you will either love it or hate it. I'm on the side that is a big fan. Hopefully over the next year or so the bottle conditioning will up the carbonation a tad to add to the only downside this beer currently has. I imagine this is how many beers used to be back in ancient brewing times with lots of oak character and slight Brett flavors. Complex and recommended in my opinion; maybe not worth the original elevated price tag but still tasty and worth a go if you don't have to give up a king's ransom for it.

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

3.36/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into NB snifter. Bottle thanks to StormKing47. Cheers Josh.

A: Pours a thick syrupy hazy brownish-red color with no life to it (no head or bubbles at all). Sits still in the glass.
S: Sharp tart cherry vinegar, dry gritty barrel, maybe a hint of soy or Worcestershire, booze, and faintly sweet caramel and leather. Honestly, while I’m not loving the smell it’s not as bad as I was expecting given some of the colorful descriptions in the other reviews, although it definitely gets pretty sharp as it warms. Reminds me of some of the Bruery’s beers :o
T: Follows the nose with dominating flavors of sour black cherries, sweet syrupy caramel, toffee, tannic barrel, mild chocolate, and tons of leather. The finish is drying and gritty and the aftertaste is lightly sweet and full of dark fruits and a hint of soy sauce. Red berry jam, raisins, lemon pith, faint brandy, and balsamic vinegar come through as it warms. Actually pretty darn complex. Tastes like a sour cherry old ale.
M: One of the most thick and syrupy beers I’ve had. Sits very heavy and viscous in my mouth. Extremely low carbonation, almost none. Almost gritty mouthfeel.
O: Shit, did I like this beer?! While not amazing I thought it was pretty drinkable – definitely not a drain pour. Aged old ale flavors are easy to pick out, gritty sour cherry is easy to pick out, booze barrel is mellow and sweet. I bet if this was stupid-hyped from a high profile brewery people would think it was Jesus tears. Thanks for the bottle Josh.

2.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Shared by a kind young lady at The Trappe Door while hanging out at the bar. Served from bottle into a Trappe Door tulip. Poured a murky brown with a very minimal off-white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wood, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. The flavor was of sweet malt, wood, subtle oxidation, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall I wasn't really impressed with this one. There was just something that was very off-putting about this one that did not agree with my palate. I was excited to see this one come out to be shared, but once I smelled and tasted it I was regretting that I volunteered to try this one. But hey, tickers gonna tick. Worth trying if it is given to you, but I wouldn't personally buy it myself.

2.25/5  rDev -13.1%

1.89/5  rDev -27%

A - Brown colored beer, pretty dark. There was a slight, brown head on there that didn't stay for long and left nothing on the sides.

S - Kind of an odd smell on the nose. Brown sugar, some barrel, apples. The worst is just this kind of wet-dog smell at the end. Not sure what is making that happen but it's not a good thing.

T - Think of pond water and wet dog. That's the back end of this. The beginning of the taste was somewhat better, with some brown sugar, apples, some brett. There is a lot or barrel characteristic, I guess, but the horrible flavors really obliterate any redeeming characteristics this beer had. I don't know how it got all these high reviews, this is atrocious.

M - Kind of flat, not really adding to the rotten taste. Full bodied.

O - Not a good beer, mostly hated it, and only drank enough to review before pouring the rest down the drain. Massively disappointing. I'm assuming they left this in the barrel for 4.5 years because it was just awful and they were hoping it would get better. Nope.

1.5/5  rDev -42.1%

2.25/5  rDev -13.1%

1.63/5  rDev -37.1%

Not sure who to "thank" for this...poured into Darkness tulip.

A - Looks like a mud water, hazy/mirky, faint head.

S - Tons of oak and booze...my nostrils hurt. 3-week old fruit, brett, booze, and 180 day old hot tub water. Holy crap, please no more!

T - Booze, super sharp sourness that's almost impossible to get down, pool water, brett. What the heck is going on here? I don't think this beer even knows what it's doing.

M - Too thin, uber-light carbonation, horrible finish.

O - Uh, no more please. I would use this beer as a torture technique for my enemies. Otherwise, down the drain it would go.

2.12/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

3.51/5  rDev +35.5%

750ml unlabeled bottle graciously shared by unbalancedbuds at the Copper Mine Pub.

Appearance: Pours a fairly crimson tinged burgandy brown with no head, no retention, and no lace.

Smell: Some wonderful character here. Loads of brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, sherry, and earthy sweet oak.

Taste: The sweet oak and sherry dominate and dwarf the lovely brown sugar character I adored in the nose.

Mouthfeel: Thick bodied with very low carbonation. A bit syrupy.

Drinkability: Goes down fairly easy but not a tasty enough beverage to want more. It does smell amazing though!

2.56/5  rDev -1.2%

Tasted blind courtesy of Retail1LO, thanks again!

Corked and caged 750 bottle, opens with no pop. Pours a murky brown color with no head, is this flat? Hope not.

Aromas are very nutty, boozy, with sweet stewed fruits, and brown sugar notes.

Taste is really sweet, with some raisin notes. Some general booziness, sharp vinegar, light vanilla, and nuttiness. Beer is flavorful, but the finish is flat, with a bit of alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is pretty full bodied, but really lacks carbonation, and is almost flat.

Overall, unfortunately this beer is flawed, it's too sweet, infected, and is very low carbonated. Too bad too, because it actually tastes and smells like this could have been good but something went wrong here.

One last note, I think my review is being kind. Because the more I drink this, the more I dislike it. This is definitely a miss, and I might not drink the whole bottle. (edit : more than half the bottle was consumed by the drain, hope it liked this more than I did)

2.75/5  rDev +6.2%

1.21/5  rDev -53.3%

Idiot's drool pours a dead still brown color with a bit of sediment that reminds me of pond water.

I tried to get a whiff of the stuff and recoiled immediately. Lots of oxidation and some unpleasant sourness.

Disgusting. Bile, vomit, not good. When beers are blended, brewers will often leave select barrels out due to inferior quality or some sort of contamination. I believe Idiot's Drool tastes like a mix of beer aged for years in a bunch of those crap barrels might taste. Cardboard+unpleasant sourness+some alcohol heat=Idiot's drool. It's bad.

Mouthfeel is dead flat, and anything else besides that is hard to notice because you cannot keep this in your mouth for very long.

I went back and forth on whether I wanted to review this beer, because I only had about a 4 oz sample. In the end, I decided to review this for a few reasons:

1) I could never have drank anywhere near a bottle of this stuff. 4oz was actually too much.
2) People should know what they're getting in to when trading for this beer.
3) Idiot's Drool was so epic in how horrible it is that I thought it deserved a review. You may ask why I gave it a 1.5 overall if it was so terrible. The answer is that this was so bad, I almost wanted to like it. Think of it as being very close to the “Snakes on a Plane” of beer. I love Snakes on a Plane, but the key difference is that snakes on a plane didn't happen in my mouth.

1.5/5  rDev -42.1%

1.25/5  rDev -51.7%

2.08/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

1.05/5  rDev -59.5%

Shared by joey5cents-- he got this courtesy of agentzero.

Wow.
This smells and looks like a cup of spit that belongs to a ball-player with a big mouthfull of chewing tobacco.

Sweaty gym socks.
Puréed black cherries and chewing tobacco spit.
Boozy leather, like the saddle the morning after the horse was on a bender.
Musty. And NOT in a good way.
Pure liquid misery.
Liquified vegetables blended into a bloody Mary.

There is no carbonation-- and this beer suffers from it. Oily and slick, almost slimy. This is like something Neville Longbottom made in Potions Class.

Overall-- seriously? I don't think the brewers were sampling this beer at all as time progressed. I think they forgot about it, and the barrel was sitting next to the furnace or on top of a radiator for 4 years. There is NO WAY this is intentional-- and if it is, Weyerbacher is composed of a bunch of gluttons for punishment.

Idiot's Drool from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.