Introspection | Deciduous Brewing Company

Deciduous Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
deciduousbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Our interpretation of a Russian imperial Sout. 100% brettanomyces fermented and aged on cacao nibs, almonds, and maple syrup. 100% stainless version.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 9 | Ratings: 14
1.54/5  rDev -36.4%

First off - this bottle was clearly infected and was the highlight of our Plankton Tasting (worst of the worst). That said, here goes ... Pours the color and clarity of cola with a rocky, half inch, off-white head. Nose expresses burnt rubber, bandaids and industrial cleaner. Taste follows nose with the addition of vinous notes and epsom salts. Mouthfeel is light in body with an assertive carbonation. Overall, this may have been the worst beer I've ever had. I'm glad I didn't have any adverse effects. If it wasn't in a beer bottle, I would have thought it was toxic.

i have been very curious about deciduous and this was probably the wrong brew to start with. none the less I gave it a whirl...pretty bad at first but I pressed on, let it warm up a bit let my palate get adjusted to everything going on and at the end of the day it is just a sub mediocre stout. there is just too much of everything and it all clashes and leaves a wince on your face after drinking. not a drain pout per se, but just like you wouldnt take more than a few bites of a crappy meal, I will not be finishing this bottle

3.83/5  rDev +58.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from the brewery.
Pours a solid black with a huge lively tan head that persists forever. Roasty, chocolate, intensely nutty with bits of tart and pitted fruits. Just a hint of caramelized sugar, maple perhaps, but not readily apparent. That is an awesome insanely complex nose! The flavor is roasty and adds a bit of a molasses that wasn't really in the aroma. Big brown sugary malt backbone with quite a nutty flavor melding with some alcohol, light earth, funk and pitted fruitiness. Light solvent notes sometimes linger in the finish. I enjoyed sipping on this most of the night.

1.12/5  rDev -53.7%

L: It looks like a beer. Average - 3.. not much to say here
S: I almost gaged. I figured it was the brett that fucked with my nose so I persevered....
T: ... and I almost puked. This beer was terrible. Seriously. The fact that some assholes out there are slinging this shit is a damn joke. I feel like I spilled latex paint into my beer after painting my bathroom that I just took a steaming shit in. Calling this a mess would be a compliment to this beer. There is being complex, and there is being a mess and not knowing what the hell one is doing. This is the latter.
F: even my garbage disposal choked on this. I had to go find some drain-o to help it then feed it some ice as i felt bad. now picture that in your throat. Blue Waffle would be a good description for this
O: I never drain pour beers unless they are truly bad, this is one of those. I would rather drink a smoothie of fallen leaves in horse manure than this again.

whoever was drunk enough to call this a beer worthy of bottling needs to be fired.

1.14/5  rDev -52.9%

This beer is really horrible - drywall, chalk, rubbing alcohol, burning tires. Opened 3 bottles with 3 separate groups they were all the same - incredibly bad.

3.42/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Wow. What an unusual, challenging beer. Off the bat, the nose is very complex, but a bit off putting. I see people mention burnt rubber, and at the share where I had this, rubber cement was mentioned. Truly odd. Perhaps it's a mixture of the brett and something else? Can't say for sure.

Up front, the taste is nice and very complex. The cacao and almonds come through with the brett. The, the finish is just incredibly odd. I think it was mostly an extremely dry and bitter cacao type taste, but couldnt put my finger on it. Not an enjoyable finish compared to how it began.

A barrel treatment could do wonders for this beer, or perhaps age. A lot of age.

A challenging and interesting beer. Seek out if you're looking for an adventure.

3.11/5  rDev +28.5%

Jet black, fluffy tan head. Initial aroma is roasted malt, coffee, maple, chocolate, and medicinal/rubber brett. Slight alc heat on the nose. The back end aroma is not super inviting, but I let it warm up in the glass. Great, creamy mouthfeel, finishes with a pretty robust roasted malt/hop bitterness and alc heat that lingers quite awhile. A little nuttiness. Kind of harsh. I appreciate the creativity. I've got another bottle that I'll let age, I'm interested to see how this matures.
***There was an issue with the caps used for this beer, hence the weird off flavors, it's since been resolved.

4.04/5  rDev +66.9%

This beer poured into a dark black color with a nice creamy tan head.
The nose is both complex but intriguing. There is a nice cacao aroma and some great earthy smells with a little sharpness in end, perhaps a better word would be funk that you get from the Brett yeast used in this beer.
The taste I wasn't sure where to start but chilled this bottle to about 48* degrees a little colder than I would normally for an RIS. The flavors were sort of muted at this temperature with a slight bitter after taste. After the first pour I allowed the rest of the bottle to warm to about 58* and this is where all the hidden flavors come out of this beer. Lots of roasted malt with some cacao and then in the back you find the sweetness of the maple syrup.
The mouth feel is smooth and soft not a lot of carbonation but the way an RIS is supposed to be.
I do like this beer a lot but I tend to like most Beers done with strains of Brett. This beer isn't for everyone but I hope that everyone at least gets to try this very different approach to an RIS.

1.46/5  rDev -39.7%

I generally don't write beer reviews but this one is warranted. This beer is a total failure. Ugly as sin. Leaves a milky lacing on glass. Smells of burnt rubber.

Introspection from Deciduous Brewing Company