Four Play IPA Batch #3 | Stoudts Brewing Co.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 9
Reviews by DougAppleby:

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

3.76/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer is from Batch #3 in a four part series, wherein each beer is brewed using the same malt recipe, but featuring a different hop. Batch #3 is brewed with an unnamed experimental hop, referred to as 06300 (Batch #1 and #2 were brewed with Apollo and Bravo hops, respectively).

A: Pours a hazy dark amber with a foamy head that settled quickly. The head had some thin bubbles to it.

S: Smell is of malt and citrus zest, with some floral notes. Smells sweet and a little thin (but maybe I've been drinking too many DIPAs and my point of reference is skewed).

T: Good flavors here, with an overwhelming orange (or tangerine/ clementine) quality to it that I'm not used to in an IPA. This beer is to orange the way many IPAs are to grapefruit. A little floral/ spiciness on the finish. Too sweet for my liking, but only somewhat. I wonder if I didn't like it as much, only because I was expecting more traditional IPA flavors. I may have to go back to this and update my review at a later time.

M: Lower, thinner level of carbonation - I would have preferred a little more hop oiliness or carbonation for my own tastes.

OVERALL: Pretty good IPA that I would not mind drinking once, but I prefer my IPAs to be less sweet. I imagine this beer could grow on me, but it was certainly not what I was expecting at the time.

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

Batch 3 picked up at brewery in August 2104
Undated bottle at 40 degrees into shaker
Aroma of citrus
Head large (eight cm, aggressive pour), off white/light tan, creamy, slowly diminishing to irregular frothy layer
Lacing excellent – complete frothy curtains of tiny bubbles
Body medium orange, hazy
Flavor – not the malt bomb I was expecting – well balanced between malt and hops, slightly citrusy; no alcohol, no diacetyl
Plate medium, slightly oily, soft carbonation

Appearance 4, Aroma 3.5, Flavor 4.25, Palate 4, Overall 4

Four Play IPA Batch #3 from Stoudts Brewing Co.