Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale)Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stoudts Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
stoudtsbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Gavage on 10-23-2004

Ratings: 1,282 |  Reviews: 770
2.7/5  rDev -31.3%

A- burnt orange in color, decent froth that sticks for a minute and fades to a tiny web

S- Citrus undertones, mild caramel

T- Taste was a disappointment for a DIPA. Tastes of burnt hazlenuts, burnt malts, very very low hops, mildly burnt citrus. looked for a born-on date to cancel out the stale beer taste, but didn't find any on the packaging or label

M- light mouthfeel, light to medium carbonation, ABV leaves an oily feeling and afertaste of burnt oil

D- this has a reasonably low drinkability due to the overwhelming burnt taste. typically with DIPA there isn't a huge overwhelming burnt malt taste, DIPA's provide a good pack of hop flavors to balance out the alcohol burn. This beer fails huge, it's not bad, just a disappointment for a DIPA. Will not purchase this one again.

2.71/5  rDev -31%

Bottle conditioned and 10%, no date. Bought from the brewery a couple of weeks ago.

Medium gold with a thin white head on top, good lacing. Dull, alcohol-coated orange juice. Thick cactus juice. Clay. Smells dangerous. Thick, sweet, coating. Poisoned candy. This dankness (autolysis?) really dominates this brew as it warms. Finish has alcohol warmth, but that weird clay taste and little else. This really does not have enough going on to warrant the whopping 10%. Disappointing from such a good brewery.

2.71/5  rDev -31%

A- 1/4" off white/ light tan head. Bit cloudy dark orange color.

S- Citrus hops with some other type in there also. Big malt back also. Maybe hint of alcohol. Some grapefruit, and a touch of orange maybe even VERY light lemon.

T-Kind of funky taste. Very orange and grapefruit taste with something weird in it also. The malt backbone comes through a bit too. The alcohol comes through also. Leaves a bit of warming in aftertaste. Leaves a weird tingle feeling on the tongue. This isn't a good example of a DIPA. Just as far as style goes not taste preference.

M-Medium/full body. Medium carbonation.

D- Weird taste. Not a good "DIPA". Highly doubt I will buy this again.

2.72/5  rDev -30.8%

Brewed in Pennsylvania. Shipped to Georgia, purchased in Atlanta. Brought back from Atlanta to Indiana for consumption. Now there's drinking local! Still, this is remarkably fresh, brewed less than two months ago. Thanks Stoudt's for marking the brewed-on date!

This beer's physical appearance is attractive, notably transparent and focused on clarity. Bronze with hints of red. Best retention and cling this side of a BSPA. Gorgeous.

I mentioned in my notes that this beer has a ' beery' flavor and not much more. Upon further whiffing, I get malty tones and just the slightest suggestion of hops underneath a honeyed tropical fruit juice impression. Boiling wort. Creamy; marshmellow, heavy cream, sugar, rainwater.

Taste is an abrupt invasion of sweetness. Dear god this is just too much - its as if someone forgot to put the hops in. Reminds me of AB's recent malt-liquor experiment, or a English barleywine done poorly. Layers upon layers of sweetness, and vaguely Belgian characteristics flutter in and out.

Mouthfeel is great actually, but that implies that you get it that far.

Sadly, a cloying drain pour.

2.73/5  rDev -30.5%

Yuck, not a good DIPA. Like Fat Dog, way too much alcohol and too little other taste.

Looks ok coming out of the bottle. Not a whole lotta head but a peachy color...

Which matches the intense peach aroma I get, some plum, brown sugar, some citrus and grass, but not an intense hop presence. Reminiscent of DFA 90 so far...

Taste is overwhelmed by alcohol bite. Some peach remains, but hardly any hop bitterness to appropriately match the alcohol. Did I mention alcohol?

Mouthfeel is fine--medium.

Drinkability is not good. I've got 3 left and I'll probably space them out quite a bit.

2.74/5  rDev -30.3%

An almost 6 month old bottle in trade from raverjames. Specifically requested a fresh bottle before trading and this is not what I had hoped for. Pours an orange amber color, cloudy, and with a nice lasting light beige head. Smell is mild and nondescript light, stale hops. Taste is bitter, grassy and alcoholic with some dull stale fruitiness and prominent malt flavor, but mostly alcoholic and unimpressive. No citrus notes or crisp hop flavors in this beer at all. Best case, a stale DIPA, and worst case, just another overly hot, unimpressively flavored DIPA. A notch above "drainpour", but still not worth finishing.

2.74/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-dark orange with a nice frothy cream colored head

S-a decent blend of hops, citrus, and weeds. It a decently balanced mix of the trio. There's a sour graininess to it as well. Medium to faded scent.

T-comes in with a decent blend of cream and herbs. There's just a slight bitterness. The after-taste is slightly matching with more of a grains flavor. Not loving this. It's an odd taste.

M-medium carbonation with a creamy finish

O-I don't know why but I'm not a fan of this at all. It's almost gross in a way, and it's sorta difficult to finish. I'd still give it another try in case this isn't a fresh bottle.

2.75/5  rDev -30%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I was not a big fan

2.76/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle, bottled on 7/19/08

A - Strong orange/ gold color, very clean pour with 1/2 in. head, large bubbles that linger for the duration of the beer.

S - Overy strong, bready malt, close to a malt extract aroma, and a yeasty nose as well, rather reminiscent of my first homebrew (not so good)

T - Thick, syrupy malts with an alcohol bite at the end, yeast and a surprisingly low bitter hop profile, in either the front or the back taste. Not characteristic of an IPA let alone double IPA at all. Rather disappointing.

M - A good round mouthfeel for the style, which, were there any discernible hop flavors, would have balanced the beer well. yet without the bitterness makes the beer too rich and thick for its own good.

D- Rather disappointing pick on a warm spring day looking for a strong hop bite, not true to the style and a rather expensive endeavor that failed to deliver. I truly hope its a function of the fact that it was bottled over 9 months ago and the hops had dissipated, yet unlikely. A shame.

2.77/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dirty brown in color without any head whatsoever. Absolutely flat . No head. No bubbles. Looks like standing puddle water. Nose is very slight with floral and citrus tones.

Flavor is a bit heavy on the heat from the alcohol. Lots of citrus and lime flavors. Floral upheaval. It's like I am drinking the leftover water in a vase full of roses. Just simply flat in mouthfeel. Very heavy and thick. Lots of heat from the alcohol. Almost makes me think of it as being a cask ale it is so flat but I do not think that was the intention.

2.78/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

L:bright white tiny little bubbles that disappear quickly. Bright clear orange color.
S:On first smell I pick up a bready bisquity. roasted nuts follow with a malty sweetness. An odd bubblegum grapefruit lingers.
T:That bubble gum grapefruit comes out immediately. Really pungent sweetness. A slight brown bisquit.
M:The mouth feel was a nice round softness.
D:Odd. That bubble gum flavor I pick up is slightly off putting. I am a huge fan of DIPA's and this one just did not do it for me

2.83/5  rDev -28%

Notes from July…

Slightly hazed liquid, coppery-dull bronze with some tawny highlights. Off-white head, at the apex there was only a half finger of foam. Quickly the bubbles faded to a thin, soapy cap. There was some subsequent spotty lacing. Overall, the appearance is respectable but nothing fantastic.

The nose doesn’t really jump out of my glass like I’d expect a DIPA to do. I don’t get any citrusy/piney notes; in fact the hops are secondary to a weird (but enjoyable) orange jelly smell. Peppery spiciness follows quickly (almost like Duvel) along with more fruitiness (oranges, peaches, sweetened grapefruit). The alcohol is hidden. I detect no signs of malt. WTF, yet another DIPA that fails to deliver even a hint of malt? Hell, there isn’t even hoppy goodness hiding it! Moderately low potency, I’m not too thrilled with the nose. It smells okay, I mean, it is not offensive but I’m not impressed either. Maybe the palate will be better but that is totally based on blind hope.

The palate is bitter. Whew! That said, the bitterness is not really attached to any hop flavors. This is one orangey beer. Orange rinds with pith soaked in vodka. Yeah, I taste the alcohol (I sure didn’t smell it). The alcohol is far from hidden in the palate. Warm sugary finish… where is the malt? Where is the hop profile? Peppery. Medicinal. The palate is so overwhelmingly fruity and alcoholic I am bored. I love hoppy beers but I find the bitterness here very unpleasant. Raw. Hot. Aggressive. And totally misdirected, this beer is cross between Rogue Imperial Pilsner, a knock-off Duvel, and hop infused vodka. This is one of the few DIPAs that have really failed to impress me at all.

Medium in body, sloppy syrupy mouthfeel, sweet aftertaste with lingering heat; low but natural carbonation. The mouthfeel is adequate.

I’ll finish my glass but I’m not doing so with much of a smile. I really don’t care much for this beer. While it has grown on me I’m still not going to have positive memories. Maybe I like it now because the 10% abv has soaked my brain? Whatever the case, I need to thank RedHaze for the bottle!

2.84/5  rDev -27.7%

A -
cloudy dark yellow but wouldnt say copper color inch of head which is white foamy looking and stays fairly well

S -
fisrt off i want to say the smell is remarkable very different then most double ipa's ive had
the smell is a mixture of of SWEET tropical fruits with hints of alcohol spice

T -
taste up front is hugely (if im allowed to use that word lol)sweet from those tropical fruit then some tartness from maybe from grapefruit then there is a bold but not to sharp hop character then there is a subtle taste of alcohol on the very back end HOWEVER as this beer warms (like 5 mins after i got the beer and i recieved it pretty fast)up the tropical sweetness fades a ton along with the hop taste and the alcohol becomes very prominent

M -
the beer is pretty juices for a double ipa good balance between sweet and bitter alcohol isnt an issue in the mouth feeling or really noticable

D -
NO great beer but i would have to chug it enjoy itand thats not for me what ruins it for me is how the alcohol taste takes over the beer its like im drinking a mellow vodka

2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

Got to try this one with newtonty; we cracked it at my Texas Hold 'Em/IPA party last night. A big ol' pair of elephants greet me on the label of this beer. I wonder why there's elephants on there, is it like goats with bock beers? Who knows... (Probably someone on BA!)

Appearance: 12 oz bottle with no freshness date. I dropped this one into a Samuel Smith's Imperial pint glass at about 45 degrees. She pours a mildly cloudy, dark amber at the top with an orangish bottom. I am greeted with a light tan 1/8 inch head. After the initial pour, there's only a couple fizzes coming up to the top and the head retains nicely.
Smell: Surprisingly, very sweet malts, and light yeast. This one isn't going to be a hop-bomb.

Taste: Heavily loaded, super-sweet malts. The aftertaste was a waxy, bitter and almost an apricot mix. Where's the pounding of hops? For that matter, where's the hops? After the drink was, I detect light amounts of pineapple-like hops. Not a whole lot though.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied brew with ample carbonation.

Drinkability: I don't think I would have called this a Double IPA, but it was definitely a decent beer overall. I love me some strong hops and expected that with a DIPA (especially from a quality craft brewer like Stoudt's), but I was disappointed. It left me craving more hops. Crap, guess I need to grab another beer :)

2.89/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pretty disappointed with this one. Have enjoyed various Stoudt's offerings in the past but this had a heavy, sour taste that not only wasn't enjoyable, but doesn't seem to fit the style very well at all.

2.9/5  rDev -26.2%

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Cloudy orange colored brew which created a quarter inch of fluffy head and deep, yeasty swirls. Nearly opaque, and overall looks very nice.

S - Very floral hop smell with a slight bit of alcohol tinge and some very strong citrus notes, mostly grapefruit. Quite pleasant.

T - Pretty brutal, has a sharp perfume hop bite, but neither that nor the citrus flavors can drown out the overpowering alcohol flavor. It feels like rubbing alcohol in my mouth. I've had some liquors that were easier on the tongue.

M - Medium to full bodied with good carbonation and no residue, although it is rough on the palate and has a slight burn in the aftertaste.

D - Not sure about this one. There are some good qualities to it, but overall it's just not for me. I'll have to fight to finish this one, and I'd think another would be out of the question. I may give it another try sometime in the future, but not anytime soon.

2.9/5  rDev -26.2%

I was excited to drink this beer as I love DIPA's. I was not impressed at all. It looked the same as most Imperial or Double IPA's amber/orange with a puffy white head that sticks around. It smells very sweet, hoppy, grapefruit.

The taste was not very good to say the least. Slighty spicy, very sweet, sharp alcohol flavor. The aftertaste of alcohol was VERY strong. This is not a beer for the faint of heart. Stoudt's should have done a better job hiding the booziness of this beer. The mouthfeel was great though, oily, hoppy, slick on the tongue.

Dogfish Head's 90 minute is the best DIPA I have ever had and I will continue to try new ones until I find a beer I like half as much in the style. This is not it... Not Stoudt's best effort.

2.92/5  rDev -25.7%

On-tap at Prime 16 into a 3/4 pint glass.

A: Clear pale amber body with a finger of fine white foam head. Average retention and lace. Not bad.

S: Nice citrus and pine hops up front with a solid caramel malt backbone. Pretty nice.

T: Starts out hoppy, but quickly transitions into over-sweet malt before a potently alcoholic finish. Too sweet, too hot, not good.

M: Thick and sticky with moderate carbonation.

D: Cloying and boozy. I shan't have another.

Notes: This one has potential with a tasty hop profile, but but the hops just can't stand up to the overwhelming sweetness and booze. There are just too many great DIPAs to spend money on this one.

Cheers!

2.96/5  rDev -24.7%

Served in a 16oz pub glass at about 40*F from a bottle.

Appearance: Orange-y, golden, coppery appearance. Very pleasant. Mildly to moderately cloudy. That’s OK. Lots of good beers out there are unfiltered. I have a preference for crystal clear beers, but I did not subtract for cloudy appearance. One to two finger head barely off-white and loose. Head disappeared quickly but left an attractive lacing. Not highly carbonated but certainly enough. As it warmed it cleared up.

Smell: Right away I picked up malty. Also got a clear sense of yeast in this aroma. There is no traditional big hop smell like I expected from a DIPA. A little disappointed that I did not get that 'punch in the nose' I was looking for. If you search hard you may find a little citrus and maybe a little biscuit-y, but they are well hidden by the malt and yeast smells. There is, oddly enough, a faint sourdough smell to it. Almost a Trappist/Belgian smell here.

Taste: The taste here is pretty consistent with the smell. Lots of malt sweetness and yeast. There is, however, a small presence of hop flavor. It is not on par with some of the more popular DIPA's as far as hop bite or bittering. Not a bad taste if you like malty beers. There is a warm alcohol presence up front that is more obvious as it goes down; but is not unpleasant at all.

Mouthfeel: There is not much here that is light. This is a medium-heavy body that is almost chewy. The sweet aftertaste is a little lingering but not all bad. There is no bitter hop linger that I was looking for.

Overall: This is not a bad beer but the lovers of big, bitter, hoppy DIPA's will be sorely disappointed. It is not a very dry beer.

2.96/5  rDev -24.7%

…..a wandering foamy mushroom laden crown cap settles like a flying carpet coming into land amongst a quiet English grove full of Citrus sinensis trees……the Elephas maximus indicus on the label of the bottle has me thinking…The Elephant Man…..the mystic Victorian freak circus meanders in my mind as the cap firmly lays its surface like a smooth moroccan cloth…..it lays thick like an Axminster pile atop the body….the body is……the circus music from The Elephant Man plays in my mind as mad laughing black & white faces from the film assault me...nightmares return…….it looks like Scotlands other drink, Irn-Bru, is this made in Scotland from Girr-da’s??..….I ponder this conundrum…….as I watch the layers of sticky spunky froth rim the sides of the glass vestibule pass by….only a good Zuffle could remove them……I continue to fall headlong into the clear autumnal colored body….I fight to breathe……a strikingly bitter-sweet nasal passage has a Soda-like sugary orangeness, it feels like I have been slapped by a very short man with extremely long arms….each with its own massive clown like wobbly hand…..formed from inflated orange rubber gloves…..it hits the nose sharper than a talkative Comedian on Speed….at an Acid Convention….drop this one like a tab and the Lysergic Acid Diethylamide Satsuma’s ripen in your widening nostrils……..peeling the thick dry yet tangy skin away, I keep my eyes peeled too……now they are dilated widely…..all the time allowing to me to play with my Citrus reticulata whilst watching the flying orange Elephants now peel off the 12 ounce bottle label and dive bomb me……ha, they will soon fear my orange mouse……but soon the coppery orange hue lays uneasily against the white flesh, it catches the back of the mouth like stray pubes from a ginger Minge……morose yet vibrant alcohol, wild like a drunken carrot-topped Gaelic mad-man, it is far from easily forgotten, “Wot the feck you lercking at?” it wants to fight…..but I’m fading…..the Mandarin sunset strakes the Kumquat oily hops and shockingly vibrant Tangerine…..is it the fruit?….or Pages masterpiece, Song #7 from Led Zep 3…….the latter appeals more….seemingly more hidden messages than the classic text from Jeanette Winterson, Oranges are not the only Fruit….sadly they seem to be here…..

.…surrealistically Half, rather than Double…….tiz a mysterious drug-induced Orange pith ale that reminds me more of my ribbed for pleasure Chechnian crotchless jockeys….rather than an D-IPA…..or am I tripping again…….

2.96/5  rDev -24.7%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - A beautiful fiery reddish orange color with a two finger foamy white head. A great look overall in the snifter. Leaves a bit of lacing on the glass. I really can;t get over the color, it's awesome.

S - A nice mix of pine and citrus hops on the nose. Notnhing earth shattering as far as a super hop bomb for a DIPA but nice to sniff overall.

T - Wow what a nose dive here. The initial taste is actually nothing but sweet malt. Then the hops come in to beat it back a little but that sweetness seems to be too much. Not very balanced. Just doesn't taste like much of an IPA and the sweetnes is a bit overbearing.

M - A fairly heavy mouthfeel with all the sweetness. A bit oily and slick on the tongue.

D - After a few more sips this beer really is barely drinkable. That sweetness is way out of whack and overall this is not a good example of the style. This beer is GREAT eye candy, but not what I'm looking for in the style.

Notes: This really just seems like a miss by Stoudt's. A great looking beer with an inviting aroma. The taste just falls flat though. Oh well, they can't all be nectar of the gods.

Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stoudts Brewing Co.