Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale)Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale)
3.94/5
Very Good
Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale)Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stoudts Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
stoudtsbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Gavage on 10-23-2004

Ratings: 1,283 |  Reviews: 770
4.45/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass. The liquid is a luscious looking orange amber with great carbonation leading to a brilliant head. The head is 3 fingers of tan and creamy goodness that leaves a nice lace.

The smell is both hoppy and malty, excellent cameral malt, not too sweet and big hops. Very nice.

The taste follows and exceeds. A very nice caramel malt taste, complemented by a big woodsy piney DIPA hops, very well balenced and delicious.

The mouth feel is outstanding This beer had incredible body, perfect carbonation and outstanding balance.

Drinkability is Very High, It would be more then easy to have too many of these way too fast. Keep them coming please. Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK

3.23/5  rDev -18%

I was looking forward to this one, but really wasn’t very impressed. Poured from the bottle to a bright orange color with thick off-white head that lingered throughout, and left excellent lacing. However, the very hoppy aroma was some citrus, but mostly sour dark fruit. Taste was very hoppy, but too heavy on the sour fruit. At mid-glass, the alcohol dominated the taste. Finish was dry and sour, and left me needing something else to drink just to remove the aftertaste. I’ll pass on this in the future.

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%

Serving was from a 12 oz. bottle.

On the pour, you get a nice orange/amber/cloudy brew in your glass, with an off white head that held remarkably well. This is a bottle conditioned brew so the cloudiness and sediment are expected.

The nose has a very hoppy note, but balanced by a malty sweetness behind it. Even in the nose, I detected the presence of the 10% ABV content.

The taste is a wonderful balance of piney/citrous hops and sweet maltiness. The sweetness is evident at the beginning, but the finish is more dry and hoppy. In between, its just wonderful. Mouthfeel is right on for the style. I only gave it a 4 for drinkability, because I don't think this a session beer, but one that you would have 1 or 2 at the most (that 10% ABV sneaks up on you!).

This is probably the best brew from Stoudt's that I've had the pleasure to drink and review.

Cheers!

3.51/5  rDev -10.9%

I like DIPA's. I like them over and over, and I was really hopeful about this one. But it falls short.

Nice appearance (Hazy burnt copper, thick and sticky head) but other than that this misses the mark for me somewhat. Too boozy and scattershot in flavor for my tastes. It's thick mouthfeel counts in its favor, as does the malty presence. But the raw ethanol flavor and the bitter after-taste (with no counter-balance sweetness from the malt) count against it.

Try it if you must if you can buy 1 bottle. If you need to buy a sixer (as I did), then plan to give away a couple.

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours murky, cloudy orange with a thin, off-white head. It's nice to see a bottle-conditioned version of this style!

The aroma is surprisingly sweet, and less citric than I would have expected. Hops are present but moderate, but the yeasty character really comes through.

Out of the fridge, the beer starts with a surprisingly gentle flavor. Sweet and fruity at the start, with flavors of orange and graprefruit. Mouthfeel is gentle, and carbonated enough to keep things fairly light.

As the beer sits, however, things go downhill. The finish, which began as pleasantly spicy and bitter, takes on a very sugary, artificial character. All the elements are still there - hop flavor, hop bitterness, and alcohol heat -- but the latter starts to dominate the other two and the beer as a whole feels less well-integrated than one would like.

I'd drink this a bit colder than you normally would a beer of this style. It's got some nice characteristics, but doesn't hold up well under the close scrutiny that a little time at room temperature will bring.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a hazy orange-amber. Looks very inviting. The head is light, but consistent lacing persists. Smells fruity and bready - malts are strong in this DIPA, with some floral hops in the background. The taste is apples, citrus-sour, like a lemon twist, and grapefruit, with a balanced sweetness from the maltness (sweet apples). Good stuff. The carbonation level is great for the style, light, making this a thick, sipping beer. A heavy duty one - one is all I can handle.

3.57/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours densly and deep orange-amber into the glass with fine carbonation that leaves a minimal but sticky head lingering. A very prominent nose of grapefruit has some hints of bread to it. A subtle but quite appealing smell.

The taste is at first dominated by a syrupy and malty sweetness, which is followed up by some fruit and alcoholic warmth in the middle. Only at the end and through the long aftertaste does the hoppiness enter into the palate, and admittedly much less prominent than I was expecting for anything in the IPA category.

Very smooth full mouthfeel with the carbonation playing very little part, and at 10% abv it masks its stength quite well. A bit too busy to be enjoyed in multitude, but still a good brew regardless.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a rich copper color, with a creamy white head that lasted a while. Aroma is floral hops, with plenty of fruit in the background. Taste is highlighted by sweet, buttery malts up front, followed by notes of fruit...mainly apple, before giving way to floral hop flavors for a dry finish. Mouthfeel is somewhat sticky, as this one sits in your mouth for a few moments after each sip. Not exactly what I would call sessionable, but it is enjoyable. If you see it, try it!

4.16/5  rDev +5.6%

12 oz. bottle pored into a snifter. this pored a beautiful deep copper/amber color. beautiful fluffy white head and lacing that lasted the whole session.

the smell is almost more malty than hoppy. i was expecting this to have a big hop profile but was pleasently surprised to see malts and fruits dominate the aroma.

taste had a pretty good mellow citrusy and piney hop taste to it. malty and tropical fruityness the background. very well blended overall.

mouthfeel is very full bodied but perfectly soft and chewy.

pretty easy to drink. alcohol is hidden perfectly well. i was expecting a little more hoppyness overall in this brew but this is actually a very deceiving and relaxing ipa.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Being that the hop-bomb American IPA is my all-time favorite beer to seek out and consume, this one certainly caught me off guard. However, although it is a "sweet malt-bomb", it was very enjoyable. Just a very malt laden rendition of the style. Pours a bright amber-orange color with a thin off-white head. No lacing noted. Predominantly sweet Sugar Daddy caramel aromas fill the nose on first sniff, followed by notes of ripe apple, pear, pine and citrus. Mouthfeel is big, full and chewy with a laid back carbonation. Insulin overload flavors of sweet caramel candy (like sucking on a Sugar Daddy-do they still make those?) and Grape-Nut cereal, with a touch of citrus, spice and pine resin cutting through in the finish. Not that the hops aren’t to be found, they just take a bit of a back seat on this one. The 10% alcohol does a nice job of holding it all together and cutting down any cloyishness. Gotta give ’em credit for shakin’ it up a bit and tryin’ somethin’ a bit new and different for an IPA.

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Golden-amber, fluffy off-white head, some retention.

S: Pine, toffee & cotton-candy.

T: Pine, brown sugar, toffee, some cotton-candy fruity esters, citric acidity; great bittersweet balance, with a slight sweetness in aftertaste; warming alcohol in the finish, but it certainly hide's its strength well.

M: Moderate to full body is well attenuated for its strength (quite digestable); acidic; moderate carbonation.

D: Plenty of flavour, reasonably balanced, could be trouble!

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

#4 from my newly aquired collection of east coast goodies, driven out by a good friend all the way from the Foodery. I used to live in PA and drank Stoudts on a regular basis; Y2K IPA was my favorite beer from those days. Can't wait to tear into this one for a nightcap.

Like I said, Y2K was my fave, so I'm gonna be critical with this one. A sad thing when someone discontinues your #1 brew. Pours a hazy golden amber color with fine sediment. Not a big head, but the layer of soft foam that's there is very inviting. Smells similar to the Y2K, which is a fresh, flowery fruitcake of British smelling hops. I smell alcohol but I already knew it weighed 10% abv.

Taste is heavy. The gentle sweetness and stickyness of the malt is a big part of the taste, along with the alcohol; the two blend nicely and form a backdrop for the hops. I dig the soft carbonation, which is just barely there and reminds me of fresh cask ale. Similar to the 90 Minute, but I like this better.

Stoudts: I love you so much and mean no offense, but my question is did you really use more hops in this than the old single IPA? Okay, I admit it's perfectly balanced. I definately detect way more malt and booze than the old beer.

This is definately on the British end of the spectrum, full of rich malts and all about balance; totally the opposite from a Pliny the Elder. There is a time and a place for both, and when you think about it, what a wonderful world we live in!!!

Honestly, I had a great time drinking this beer, BUT: 1) I prefer the old IPA, with less of the heavy syrupy sweet malts and, honestly, about the same amount of hops, and 2) I like my Double IPA's to be overpowered by hops and lighter-bodied, guess this just isn't my style and I should stay on the west coast. I would not turn this beer down, though, especially from a hand pump.

Long live Y2K IPA!!!!

4.61/5  rDev +17%

This is a gret DIPA. The appearance was a nice amber copper color with a slightly yellowish white head. Head lasted about half the beer and ther was some nice lacing. The smell was hoppy aroma that was acompanied by the smell of alcohol. I would have liked it to be a little more floral.

The taste was great, supper hoppy and a nice hint of malt. The was a little citrus, but mainly you tasted HOPS. The mouthfeel was very good, this was an extremely smooth DIPA, almost creamy. It was lacking a little in the CO2 dept, but it was still very good.

Try this beer, it was great. I wish it was easier to get in California.

3.98/5  rDev +1%

Received in trade from Dano213. I love being close to New Glarus, it really opens up the trade market.

A- Reddish/Brown in color. Almost no head even after aggressive pour. Very little lacing as well.

S- Alcohol, hops, alcohol and hops and malt with a metallic tang to the nose

T- This is the tricky part: I had 2 6-packs of this beer. The first bottle I had, I honestly thought had gone bad. This beer is a real departure from the other DIPA's I've been working my way through. Oily, alcohol hot, and with an unfamiliar taste that took awhile to put my finger on, but I finally got it. This beer tastes like a true double IPA, when I took into account its' similarity to a "triple" like Devil Dancer or Weyerbacher Eleven. Once I figured that out, it got better and better with every bottle.

M- Again, when I stopped looking for a parallel to say, a Legend/Moylander/Big A/Hop Juice, etc., this beer came into its' own. Very slick, nice full spread with a good bittersweet finish.

D- Not for everyday, but definately one I'd like to have in the rotation. I'll try to keep a few around.

All in all, I think an elightening example of the style. Another notch in my beer palate.

2.77/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dirty brown in color without any head whatsoever. Absolutely flat . No head. No bubbles. Looks like standing puddle water. Nose is very slight with floral and citrus tones.

Flavor is a bit heavy on the heat from the alcohol. Lots of citrus and lime flavors. Floral upheaval. It's like I am drinking the leftover water in a vase full of roses. Just simply flat in mouthfeel. Very heavy and thick. Lots of heat from the alcohol. Almost makes me think of it as being a cask ale it is so flat but I do not think that was the intention.

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a goblet.
bottled on 4.19.06

Appearance is a hazy orange copper, with a 2 centimeter off white head which quickly faded to a thin cloud on top of the beer, slight dotted lacing throughout.

Maybe my nose isn't working today, but i really can't get a good scent off this beer. I can smell a little fruit, malts and some alcohol, where the hops?

Taste is lacking hops flavor, as the malts seem to be dominate with a little alcohol burn but not too much. Not enough hop flavor imo.

Mouthfeel is good.

Drinkability is good, although this beer is not what i expected for a DIPA, it tasted decent, felt good in the mouth and for a bottle condictioned 10%'er it wasn't dominated by alcohol flavor, just add some hop and i'd be hooked. Give it a try.

4.41/5  rDev +11.9%

Paid $10 for a mixed 6-pack straight for the brewery...

The beer pours a typical amber base with a medium white head, excellent retention and perfect lacing on the glass. The aroma is a wonderful blend of fruity hops, Toucan Sam approved.

The taste is pretty mellow and hides the alcohol fairly well. The fruit tones are orangy, sweet and tangy with a very floral hop tone as well. Very smooth in the mouth and on the palette and at a whopping 10%, sure I will have one more and then maybe that is it. As strong as wine but tastes much much better.

Final Thought: What a wonderful and complete Double IPA that Stoudt's brewed. Very patriotic to the American demand and one of the best in this country. Wow!

3.03/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured from a bottle into a Tulip.

A - Beer pours a transparent orangish color with and eggshell head a a good bit of lacing.

S - Hoppy. Citris is the main suspect here. Despite what a few others have said, I'm not getting any pine. It also smells very sweet at the same time. Interesting on the nose, this beer.

T - The citris hops flood the mouth initially with a fair amount of vigor. Soon after, the sweetness on the nose comes across, but no in a way that I like a lot. It seems a bit cloying.

M - Full bodied with a nice amount of carbonation.

D - High abv and cloying sweetness hurt this one a bit.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Dark amber/ruby in color...1/4 inch white head....lace leaves rings around the glass and is very thick.

S- Dank citrusy hops....light spiciness....and a very subtle peach scent. (everything really opens up as this warms up....when I first poured it I thought the smell was only going to get a 3).

T- Hops all the way...an unusual sweet citrus hint, light spice(I think ginger maybe), and a big hop pick up at the finish.

M/D- This is one I will pick up again...not the best, but very good...medium bodied, moderate carbonation, and long lasting flavor...let this one warm a little before sitting down with it.

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%

Not to amplify or detract from any other (better) reviews, I like this double and would buy it again. I have really taken a liking to super high ABV beers and as such I really like this puppy. It doesn't dissapoint. Since I keep a selection on hand, I don't HAVE to drink a bunch of these (I am currently drinking a lonely last one from a few weeks back). That makes it better. It is a little weak on drinkability and I wouldn't want another this evening (it would knock me out anyway, I'll go for something wimpy instead).

Ditto 5 years later except it now tastes a bit dark to me. Others these days are nor floral and this tastes dark. Still, I continue to buy it from time to time.

3.35/5  rDev -15%

Orange murky color-fairly thick and cloudy looking with a minmal head.
Smell is faint sour hop essence.
Tastewise-there is a strong maltiness upfront with an extremely mild hop profile. There is a nectar-like throat pinching effect in the mouthfeel. This doesnt seem similar to most of the Dbl IPAs I have had. It is average or slighly below for drinkability.

4.55/5  rDev +15.5%

Deep orange color with quite the respectable head. Nice, heavy aroma-very nice blend of malt and hops-hops are a bit toned down but the balance is very good. Killer flavor-perfest balance between the maltiness and the hops. Not overly hopped to me-quite bitter but doesnt have the "floral" slam of a lot of double IPAS. Excellent malty sweetness. The whole flavor package is top notch. Excellent body. Dangerously drinkable-I have gone thru 2 before I even saw the abv. One of the best beers I have had from Stoudt's in a long time.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Orangey clear amber with an off-white head. Hardly any carbonation.

Killer malt profile in the nose and a little hop profile. Some citrus as well.

Huge malt profile. Alot like 90 minute. Very bitter but also smooth as hell. Kind of candy sweet.

Medium/Full...almost oily. Very little carbonation but it doesn't need much. Pretty easy drinking despite the alcohol and bitterness. Killer.

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle.

This beer pours an amber orange with a frothy white head that holds for a bit but leaves a little film the whole way down the glass and leaves a little lace. The smell is very sweet to the nose with some amount of citrusy and piney hops. It is not an overall strong smell. The taste hits you on the first sip with the alcohol burn. It then mellows out a bit and you really taste a lot of sweetness. There is also some flavor of citrusy and piney hops. Unfortunately the alcohol and sweetness overpowers the hop character. The beer feels great in the mouth. Very thick and a nice carbonation. Overall it still would rate good on drinkablility, since I love DIPAs and will take one any chance I can get.

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

From a 12 oz. bottle, bottled March '06.

A - caramel brown, slightly hazy due to bottle conditioning (and chill haze?). Little or no head, head retention, or lacing due to alcohol content, presumably.

S - alcohol and malt sugar. Somewhat unbalanced nose, slight citrus hop aroma.

T - sweet malt sugar, toffee, caramel, baking bread/cake. Balanced out fairly well by firm citrus hop flavor and bitterness. Warming higher alcohols present.

M - medium bodied, carbonation low. Finishes fairly sweet and sticky, but not overwhelming.

D - one of the more drinkable and balanced 'double' IPA's out there. Definitely give it a try. Very tasty and well made, as usual from Stoudt's.

Stoudt's Double IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stoudts Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.94 out of 5 with 1,283 ratings