Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) | Stoudts Brewing Co.

Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)

Stoudts Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
stoudtsbeer.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by Gavage on 10-29-2004

Ratings: 1,315 |  Reviews: 752

Bought at Westport liquors, the only one and aged for 2 years. Bottle has the old label design on it. A few miles of chocolate milk colored head over a black body. The most rediculous head I've ever seen. Smell is thick with roasty coffee and chocolate and mollasis malts. Grape and plum brings it all together. Taste is an ultra smooth combo of various malts and dark fruits like in the scent. Full bodied and velvety smooth in every direction.

I think this is becoming my favorite kind of beer. Really really amazing complexity that floats down. You NEED to try this.

Today we are drinking two beers. Why? No idea. But who cares… it’s beer! The first beer we are drinking today is a Fat Dog stout from Stoudt’s Brewing Company. The label is awesome; the dog is so cute. There really is a fat dog! Anyway, this beer has a HUGE ABV, coming in at 9%. The beer is actually an imperial oatmeal stout, and I am not normally a big fan of an imperial stout. Let’s see what this one has in store.

In the Glass: In the glass, it’s dark. It almost looks like a cola. The head is actually pretty similar to that of a soda too. It’s light, with not much definition. You can’t see through the glass, but the beer doesn’t look thick. Let’s see what it smells like.

Nose: The nose is soft and subtle, and has a certain sweetness to it. Some of the oatmeal stouts that I have had don’t really smell like a stout. Now this one smells like a stout. I wonder what it tastes like.

Flavor: The flavor in this beer is HUGE. Oh man, it’s so good. The sweetness is pretty obvious and there is a ton of carbonation on the back of the palate as the beer slides down your throat. It isn’t think at all, and doesn’t really taste like a stout. It has a much smoother flavor than you would expect from a beer like this.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is amazing. It’s starts without much, then the carbonation comes in. Then, as the beer slides down you get that overwhelming stout flavor. The beer just continues to impress one sip after another. And the thing is, the high ABV isn’t obvious. You don’t notice it at all really. Oh man, I like this beer!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is long and dry and leaves that obvious stout aftertaste. I say obvious, when a Guinness has no aftertaste at all. But this is what a stout is supposed to be. I had no idea what to expect when pouring this into the glass, but I was impressed. I would totally order another one of these. This beer is DELICIOUS! Bottoms up people.

4.92/5  rDev +23%

Appearance: Pitch black awesome nectar of the gods the most imperial of an imperial oatmeal stout, whatever that means. Pure black coffeee tone huge massive tan head leaves evenly dispersed scattered lacing. Aroma: Deep notes of coffee, fusel alcohol, whole hop leaves, and chocolate this one is hard to beat along with a big grainy sweetness from the oatmeal addition. Taste: Smooth velvety pit of chocolate coffee tones wow what a big bodacious beer (I've never used that word before) however it descrirbes this one perfectly just amazing multi layers of herbal hop tea and black chocolate enhanced coffee melds together so nicely. Mouthfeel: Full bodied chewy at times smooth drinking completely coats the palate with a smooth sipping brew can be this enticing. Drinkability: Simply amazing brew that is hard to describe in simple English words you need to hear the groans and grunts of happiness that have occureed mmm mmmm mutha fuck^n good.

4.91/5  rDev +22.8%

I took a shot at aging these and it worked out very well at 14 months, but I fucked up and let one bottle go a bit too long. I reviewed the 14 month old bottle in order to compare it with this one. This review is about the 14 month old bottle.

Appearance: The pour is somewhere between black and brown with red highlights. The head forms as a small light brown ring around the glass.

Smell: Holy crap! The nose is pure chocolate.

Taste: This is a delicious blast of milk chocolate. If I let it sit on my tongue for a while I get dark fruit. Espresso, with plenty of crema, enters into the mix for the finish.

Mouthfeel: This has a medium to full silky smooth body that puts all other silky smooth bodies to shame.

Drinkability: Only the thought that this might have gotten even better gave me the willpower to let this go to another few months. Argh!

4.87/5  rDev +21.8%

This beer pours a jet black color with a thick brown head. This beer looks as thick as blood. The head fades slowly, leaving many laces.

The aroma from this beer assulted me even from a distance. It smells strongly of chocolate. Coffee is also very present. A sweet malty caramel aroma is also present. A subtle hop aroma is present. The alcohol content is also noticable.

This beer tastes exactly as it smells. Coffee and chocolate upfront. Some caramel and molasses also. A slight hop flavor is also present.

This thick, full boside beer goes down very smooth, leaving a sweet malty aftertaste. It is carbonated to perfection.

I think that despite the high alcohol content, this beer might be a good session beer. It is so smooth.

Overall: Thank you Himerman for this great beer. I trades for it as part of my goal to review every beer on the top 100. Today I noticed that the scoring changed, and it is no longer on the top 100. I am very happy to have hid this one. I will seak it out in the future.

Stoudt's Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) from Stoudts Brewing Co.