Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale) | Stoudts Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale)Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale)

Stoudts Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
stoudtsbeer.com

Style: Tripel

Added by Todd on 11-24-2004

4.42/5  rDev +20.1%

$2.30 for a single at Jacks. For some reason, I thought this was a Triple IPA, so imagine my surprise when I smelled it! At any rate, this beer pours out to a beautiful hue of red amber with a ton of finely particulate sediment, forming a small off-beige head with sparse lacing and poor retention. The carbonation is medium, not strong like most triples. The aroma is rich with phenols...spicy with lots of bananas, burnt rubber, cloves. The mouthfeel is actually quite dry for the style with a medium-dense sticky body. The taste is quite interesting...at first it starts like your typical triple with the spicy phenols, but somewhere in the middle I get burnt bananas, like bananas foster with rum and caramel syrup. There is a unique and potent burnt-rubber-mixed-with-black-pepper-kinda-thing going on, and then it becomes swamped in dark roasted wheat husk offset by a peculiarly strong medicinal bitterness...well, strong for the style, at least. Potent ingering notes of seared orange peel in the aftertaste with an orange peel bitterness. Lots of rotting pears and apples in this one with burnt rubber and black marker in the finish. Again, the finish is oddly, yet pleasantly, dry. Alcohol isn't obtrusive to my taste, but percieved by the kick to my cognition and by the warmth in my gullet.

This is a very interesting beer, and I have to say, I've never tasted anything quite like this. The combination of medicinal bitterness, burnt rubber, burnt orange peel, bananas, and roasted wheat husk all contribute to a very odd, but enjoyable brew. As far as triples go, it's far from the style. As far as beer goes...it's pretty damn good. A sipper.

Caramel colored small head remains. Alcohol, sugar, fruit on the nose. Molasses, sugar, plums?...great taste. Mouthfeel is substantial, syrupy. The taste is very candy-like. Smooth and easy to drink for the high alcohol content. This is a definite sipper that is worth a try.

3.54/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a chill hazed reddish brown colored beer without much head formation at all.

Smell is sweet and fruity and spicy. Lots of Candi sugar scent here along with a good amount of caramel scent. Fruit aromas of figs, plums and spiced apples. Spicy scents of cinnamon, saffron? and black pepper in the alcohol fumes. Smell a great deal better than it looks.

Tastes sweet and sugary at the beginning. Candi sugar and a little brown sugar mix with a fairly strong hop bitterness for the style. Hops add a woody flavor here as if it has been in an uncharred oak barrel. Spicy flavors of vanilla, cinnamon and black pepper. Caramel is in here too. Fruity flavors of grapes and apples. Hops get astringent after a while.

Mouthfeel is OK.

A drinkable beer yes but far from a great one. Lots of things about this beer are off for the style. It is a bit too hopped up and dark for the style. The hops are astringent in a beer style not noted for that. Mouthfeel is average at best. I just can't see myself buying this wherever I can get a St. Bernardus Triple.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle dated 2/18/06: Pours a hazy copper color, looks very much like unfiltered apple juice. Mild carbonation with tons of small particles suspended in the glass (i'm assuming that it's yeast sediment, this being a bottle conditioned ale). The aroma is sweet and fruity, some candi sugar, perhaps? Taste is fruity as well, hints of apple, orange peel and (surprisingly) peach. The alcohol is fairly noticeable on the swallow, not overwhelming but it makes its presence felt enough to take a little off the drinkability factor. Average mouthfeel. Overall, a nice warming sipper, I will be picking up more of this very soon!

3.72/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into the most goblet-like hotel glass I could find. A dark, woody amber colour, semi-opaque, with a small, white, bubbly head.

Aroma is predominantly fruity: peaches and strawberries, with elements of dried prunes or plums. Some sugary malt, and some definitely alcohol or winey presence.

Taste is very barleywine-ish. Very malty and quite sweet. Rich, dark dried fruits, some fresh bread, and well hidden alcohol once you get past the aroma. The alcohol's definitely there though, evident from the ear-warming sensation I get after a few sips. Dull, lasting aftertaste, decent mouthfeel.

Pleasant, but not stand-out. When a beer's this big, alcohol-wise, I'm looking for something a bit more special.

3.82/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz purchased at Bello Vino in Ann Arbor and poured into a tulip. Bottled on date of 2/1/06 ink jetted on the neck.

Hazed amber under two fingers of vanilla that shows good retention. Nice thick rings of lace in its wake.

The nose is very yeasty with a strong presence of banana flavored bubblegum. Spicy background with sugars and a trace of lemon zest. I really like the smell of this one, even if it pushes the style limits.

Briefly sweet upfront and then tart and spicy in the middle with the alcohol showing up as peppery and a bit hot. Dry finish with a little pucker. The alcohol is too unrestrained and sets this one off balance.

The mouth is medium with good carbonation and a bit puckery towards the end. I like it.

The booziness of this beer in its current state is a put off. Maybe some time in the cellar can fix that. I really liked the nose.

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%

This beer pours a cloudy orange color with very little head. It smells a bit fruity. The taste is definitely in line with the style, there's no doubt this is a bottle conditioned trippel, but yet something seems a bit lacking compared to the Belgian trippels I've had. I can't quite put my finger on what's lacking, and actually this beer seems to be growing on me. Definitely worth a try, but I'm still kind of up in the air on what I think about this one. I think I might need a couple more to really decide.

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a deep hazy cloudy golden orange hue loaded with suspended particles topped with an instantly settled thin khaki ring.

Doughy scents are met with a slight apple fruit aroma and some muted spice notes.

First swigs: Slight doughy flour evened up with a boozy gin and slight vanilla. Tripel with a raisin and pear twist, sort of. Falls on the side of Westmalle.

Feel is crisp and ginger-ale like medium bodied followed with a clean finish.

Last swigs: Pear fruit noted Tripel. Another winner from Carol & Ed. Glad to have these in 12 oz. instead of the old 750 mL giants. 61/3.68

Beer is good. Happy local tripel beering.

4.45/5  rDev +20.9%

Dark cloudy amber with very little head. Lots of yeast on the bottom....I chose to swirl and add to the chalice.
Smells cidery with a hint of alcohol.
Tastes really good. Sweet apple, clove,banana, bubblegum with a faint hint of hop and a lot of alcohol. I've had this on tap and can't detect any difference....would be perfect for me with just a little less sugar....but really close to perfection for my taste !
Mouthfeel is medium..carbonation is light.
Drinkable ? Why not ? I'm not driving.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Pour's a hazy rich copper with a half-inch ivory head. Nice persistent lacing. Smell is very fruity and strongly spicey. Lots of apple and plum aromas and a bit sour smelling. Peppery.

Big powerful flavors in this one. Very pronounced alcohol, spicy (white pepper, paprika, etc), caramel and molssess in the malt. Nice drying hoppiness inthe finish. Quite sticky mouth though with a bit of alcohol in the aftertaste as well. A sipper for sure but a damn interesting one.

3.67/5  rDev -0.3%

This was a pretty good triple. At $9 a six, I cannot complain either. Very fruity, nice carbonation, and sweet finish, in true belgian style. Not overly yeasty. Tangerine type texture to it, very drinkable and very high alcohol content. Nothing offensive about this one. I've now had 2 Stoudt's beers and they've both been excellent.

poured an attractive orange-amber color with only modest white head that quickly fell to a thin ring. Smell is a nice combination of summer fruits, bananas, and yeast. Taste is truly enjoyable with the summer fruitiness and yeast joing together to create a pleasureable drink. Finish is extremely smooth with the candi sugar gining a pleasnt sweet ending. Hard to believe this was 9% alcohol until I checked my spelling in this review. I think its a nice conservative example of this style that gives a goog interpretation without becoming too extreme.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours dark brown, caramel with not much head. Only a smidgen of carbonation. Moderate lacing. They put it in a pint glass for me, though, was a little offended. Nose is rather lacking, raisiny, bready, malty. Taste is also a bit less than I expected. It's good that you don't taste the alcohol, but the rest is all just toned down as well. Sugary fruits (raisins, etc), malts, all proper components there. Balance was a bit off as well. Too sweet and grainy. Overall, I was not so impressed, but I think that it was partially due to the wrong glassware.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

Twelve ounce bottle with "Bottled on 2/xx/05 inkjetted just below the crown. The x represents an unreadable digit.

Pours transluscent dark orange body and rapidly dissapatign collar of thin tan foam. Nose is Belgian...but needs to be coaxed forward although phenols and yeast are present. Lacing left behind on my beer-clean Trappist chalise is slightly above average for the style.

Entry spotlights the tiny-bubbled carbonation with a tongue massage and thick (almost chewy) mouthfeel. Midtaste features a ton of malt and wheat along with candi sugar, allspice, and sugary fruit.

The finish begins with a crisp hop bite followed immediately by Belgian yeast. The fade is enjoyable with juicy ripe fruits play tag with candi sugar and alcoholic phenols. Not so subtle alcohol warming on the back of the throat are noted...especially as this beer warms into the 50's.

I'd love to taste this tripel next to the Aged White Cheddar @ Hollingsheads Deli in Orange.

3.97/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a one-finger cream head, that fades to a ring and leaves no lace. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Color is a slightly cloudy amber color. Nose alcohol and raisins. Starts sweet, nice raisiny flavor, finish is warming but the high ABV is hardly noticeable. $2.49 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

4.02/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours clear, orangish with a very small white head that is gone in a flash. Uh-oh.

Smells like candy ... very sweet, sugary orange and clove-like apple pie spiciness. Interesting.

Sweet tasting on the onset, warming immediately, clove and ginger flavors come in, slightly phenolic, and finishing bittersweet. Very nice. What a surprise this was.

Very thick for a tripel, smooth, low carbonation.

Nice beer. I'm not so big on style guidelines as I am on enjoyment, so maybe I ranked the taste too high. Like the man said, I don't know much about art, but ... This one had to convince me it was worthy, and it did. I'll buy some more if I see it.

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%

Ripe kumquat orange with gold bullion edges and a few streams of superfine, slowly rising carbonation. I love the color contrast between the beer and the large, creamy cap of pastel orange-tinted bone white. Although there's more glass visible than lace, the meandering fingers of foam look pretty good.

The nose is decent for the style, no more than that. Since the yeast contributes very little to the aroma, the beer doesn't smell very 'Belgian'. This offering is more fruit-dominant than my favorites of the style, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. When all is said and done, I prefer the spicy, yeastified versions from the Old World. Several more concentrated sniffs bring minor disappointment at the lack of power and complexity.

Stoudt's Triple is an okay ale, even if it doesn't 'sing' like a true Belgian tripel. In fact, it barely even hums. It's modestly malty sweet (what malted red wheat contributes, I have no earthly idea). I'm not impressed by the 'European' hops. They taste overly harsh and astringently bitter to me. On second thought, the harshness is probably coming from the rampant unmasked ethanol.

The thing that keeps this beer from being all that good is the unbridled, sharp-edged, almost antiseptic presence of alcohol. It isn't overwhelming (and I've definitely experienced worse), but it is bothersome and cannot be ignored. If the spicy fruitiness of the first half of each mouthful could be extended, all would be well. The second half and the finish are where things become rough.

The mouthfeel is medium in a general sense and is a shade too light for the style. The words smooth and well-mannered come to mind. It's a shame the flavor couldn't be as civilized as the mouthfeel. Drinkability, needless to say, suffers due to the in-your-face ABV.

Tripel may just be my favorite of the traditional Belgian styles. I've had several excellent versions lately and have been blown away by their combination of power and complexity. Unfortunately, Stoudt's Triple doesn't measure up. It would have been nice to see what it would have tasted like with a few more years of (hopefully) mellowing rest under its belt. Too bad that I chose to open my one and only bottle today.

2.17/5  rDev -41%

Appears deep bronze honey color thin white head leaves absolutely no lacing down the chalice seems way undercarbonated. Smells very sweet and boozy at this point I was used to trying Stoudt's Triple when it was effervescent and a bit more refined, some heavy tropical fruit soaked in alcohol tones coming through mild touch of hops evident. Tastes vinous deep rich maltiness some evident bitterness lacks dimensions of a great triple style ale seems to be fruity sweet with alcohol and mild hops not enough layers for me have any Belgian tripel over this brew. Texture was syrupy really needs some work in my opinion, I hope this one is better in the twelve oz. bottles. Drinkability for me was a bit cloying low carbonation needs to have some spritziness to it alcohol really came out in the flavor.

2.41/5  rDev -34.5%

This is a second reviewing. I found this to be drastically different than what I thought last time.

A - A deep clear bronze. Pours up a decent head, no lacing.

S - Strong vinous notes, a bit of cloves. Some caramel malt.

T - First I am hit by a slightly sweet malt flavor. Than a powerful stale bitterness takes over. It lingers long and doesn't do much for me. Not very good at all.

M - Slightly thick, not very refreshing.

D - I don't know what to think. When I first had this beer, it was delicious, sweet and fragrant. Now it something completely different. A real disappointment. I guess that must have just been a better batch or maybe a lot fresher. But I really don't want another.

3.39/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This great looking beer, it pours out a sort of organic copper color. It is partly translucent letting not much more than light pass through. The smell has strong fruit tones and the alcohol is evident even in the aroma. The taste is not bad at all, but it is a bit wimpy, barely there. It tastes mostly clear. For those who didn't want the taste of their beer to interfere with dinner this would be a fine choice but I found it rather boring. Eventually it did grow on me a bit but still ... The mouth feel is extremely light; it just runs down the hatch very quickly leaving little evidence it was ever there (clean finish). While the taste was somewhat simple and straightforward it is incredibly easy to drink. Maybe because it is so light (and easy on the palate) it just keeps going down and what do you know … pow! There is the 9.% alcohol sitting at the bottom of the glass I just felt it :) oops

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.32/5  rDev +17.4%

An amber colored beer with an off-white colored head that dissipates quickly. Aromas of bananas, tropical fruit, caramel, and alcohol seem to come out. The taste is similar to the smell with a strong sugar presence that is closely followed by a juicy bitterness. Leaves behind a sweet aftertaste that is enjoyable. Yey another excellent beer from Stoudt's!

3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

Stoudt's Triple

Appearance- cloudy orange with a very thin head. lots of carbonation bubbles.
Smell- vanilla, bananas, medicinal alcohol. Light on the clove/ pepper aroma.
Taste- very light very sweet. Sugary sweet with vanilla, cherry, and pepper.
Mouthfeel- light almost watery. alcohol kicks in at the back end. Strong aftertaste. Alcohol comes fuming up after each gulp.

Overall- decent Triple that hides the alcohol up front but it comes back with a vengance, burning the throat! Sweet and not as harsh as you would seem. Decent. Wouldn't turn 1 down, wouldn't seek it out either.

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

After a long day of work I came home with an urge to have a tripel and luckily I found this was already sitting in my fridge. I always enjoy tripels but it seems to be a style that's either done well...or done poorly. Let's see what Stoudt's has in store for me. Pours from the bottle a opaque caramel orange with a nice creamy inch of foam on top that leaves some lacing behind. Aromas of sweet, fruity pale malts with apple, pear and grape notes. Yeasty spiciness with a hint of pepper and caramel. Light and fresh...pretty nice really.

First sip brings a smooth, creamy fruity malt body. Apple, pear and mixed citrus flavors. Burnt sugars with a mellow caramel undertone. Midway through I get a spicy yeast flavor along with hints of alcohol on the way down. Fairly sweet, yet still crisp. Gives me a nice belly warming halfway through. Pretty nice but still lacks a little something...could use a bit more balance and tone down the alcohol a tad.

Mouthfeel is fairly creamy and medium bodied...a bit thicker than I expected but it still flows down fairly smoothly. Overall...a pretty enjoyable tripel..but it just didn't grab me enough to make me want to seek it out again anytime soon. Worth a try.

3.32/5  rDev -9.8%

12oz brown bottle without freshness date.

Poured a deep transparent copper with no head and moderate lace (despite being decanted into a Duvel tulip). Heady fruity aroma; alcohol-laced bananas and cherries plus floral hops on a lightly-toasted malt base. Flavor begins with somewhat rough grains, builds into a bold alcohol bite before ending with slight fruit and boozy warming. Medium-bodied, prickly carbonation, and slightly oily in the mouth.

A pretty unsuccessful tripel that smells better than it tastes. Flavor wholly overwhelmed by alcohol.

3.67/5  rDev -0.3%

presentation: 12oz. bottle with a full color label. there's a wood grain background with stoudts triple on top of the label. there are three merry monks laughing and drinking over the stoudts brewery. there are illustrations of barley and hops. "bottle conditioned belgian abbey-style ale". no abv or freshness date displayed.

appearance: pours a beautiful burnt orange with light golden orange highlights in a chalice glass. head is a creamy loose off-white half inch that dropped quickly to a ring around the glass. a cyclone of bubbles rises through the misty liquid from the center of the glass. no retention or lacing.

smell: bananas and bubble gum. lightly spicy and medicinal with some alcohol. some white sweet bread as well.

taste: more bananas and estery alcohol flavors. caramelly sweet and bready. the alcohol is dominant, however. there's some faint cloves and orange as well. finish is lightly citrusy and with a mild yeasty bitterness. instead of the alcohol being masked, i'm afraid the alcohol is masking an array of other flavors.

mouthfeel: the mouthfeel is a nice medium body creamy carbonated mixture. i've seen others review this as thin for a tripel, but i think it's about right. nice swallow as well.

drinkability: well, this one's a little tough to swallow. alcohol is so dominant and flavors are so poorly masked. despite being otherwise tasty and aromatic, this becomes almost an uncomfortable slow sipper.

overall: i think this one deserves to be ranked higher than it is purely on potential. there are complex aromas and flavors in there, but they're just crushed by the alcohol presence. i took this into account and therefore the drinkability took more of a hit. i have a couple more of these to lay down, but i think the alcohol may already be too much. close to being great, though.

Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale) from Stoudts Brewing Co.