Smooth Hoperator | Stoudts Brewing Co.

Smooth HoperatorSmooth Hoperator

Stoudts Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
stoudtsbeer.com

Style: Doppelbock

Added by leftmindedrighty on 05-05-2007

2.44/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- amber to copper brownish, thin white lacing stayed, small amount carbonation streamed slowly,

Smell- mix of faint malt and hops not much at all going on

Taste- just very mild malt up front followed by alot of firm bitter hops behind, not complex in flavor and not all that interesting

Mouthfeel- medium bodied with slick carbonation

Drinkability/overall- this has to be the single worst interpretation of a dopplebock i have ever had with out any doubt, just saw off in the style its laughable, beyond that what every style you want to call its just plan out boring and simple, you can drink it but found myself truly not wanting to

2.63/5  rDev -33.2%

It's more copper than bronze, and the two-finger head has lasting power. I must admit I'm skeptical about this one. Perhaps it's too many "Hop___"s here recently that have tried (in vain) to be Hopslam or Hop Stoopid. Thus far, nothing's close. Only after the pour do I realize it's a doppelbock. I guess it's appropriate to give a dopplebock a hoppy name? I judged from the name that I had an IPA--it surprised me by looking more like a red, but I'll chalk that up to the beer style misunderstanding.

Smell offers nothing of significance. Skepticism grows. It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't smell good. It smells like an amber. I still feel like I'm dealing with more of a red (my ignorance about dopplebocks might be rearing its ugly head) and, quite frankly, I'm disappointed. A "Smooth Hoperator" with no hop aroma? I feel like I'm giving this beverage the benefit of the doubt with only an average rating.

I taste roasted malts. It's nothing to write home about. Even as I try to disregard the disappointment associated with my flawed expectations, I struggle to embrace anything in the taste of this beer. I take another sip and wonder how/why in the world this beer has earned an A- on this site. I detect maybe a tad of caramel sweetness that I figure is owed to the style. Though I haven't had many, I rank this lowest among the dopplebocks I've tasted. It's not sweet, not sour, not hoppy...there's nothing distinctive about it. In my book, that makes for a subpar beer.

The mouthfeel is a dry, malty one. Though I've divulged my knowledge on the style is limited, I'd guess this beer intended to be somthing it's not. I keep wondering how/why it got its name. As I look for positives, I offer that the carbonation level seems appropriate.

Drinkability is where I'll let the beer have it. "Smooth Hoperator" is a stupid name for this beer. If there's a pun worth associating with this beer, it should involve "malt" instead of "hop." It's not tough to drink, but it ain't smooth either. This might be my first Stoudts review and I know fans abound, but I've yet to encounter something worth remembering.

2.65/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not very good at all

2.69/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured 12oz bottle into glass. 7% abv

Appearance- Pours a deep garnet color with a tall foamy off white head. Translucent in clarity.

Smell- Citrus, caramel, mango

Taste- Earthy floral hop flavor. Hints of grapefruit. Bitter, dry grainy finish,

Mouthfeel- Medium heavy in body.

Overall- Far from a true doppelbock. Inaccurate for the style. More like a lackluster ipa.

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.06/5  rDev -22.3%

Thanks to jtrockchalk(again!)for the gift bottle. Poured into a pint glass.
A - Dark golden brown in color with 1 12 finger slightly offwhite head. Nice lacing on the glass.
S - Malty aroma
T - Full malty taste with subdued sprucefloral hops.
M - Light to medium mouthfeel with a crisp finish.
D - A little heavy on the hops for me, but interesting nonetheless. I probably wouldn't buy this, but wouldn't turn a free one down.

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

Medium brown color with a two inch head and a foamy lace.
The aroma was of floral hops,fruits,grapes,grapefruit and a hint of caramel.
The taste did not follow the nose at all. Starts off with hops,malts,mild bitterness and a strange aftertaste.
The feel was a cross between an IPA and a Dopplebock.
medium body,medium carbonation and a hop bitterness.

Notes: Strange beer and a strange taste. Really all I can say is it is worth the try and not much else because this is really a weird beer. I can not say I liked it so I will not,yet it did intrigue me.

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

A - Poured with a small head of white foam on top of a clear, amber colored body. The head dissipates quickly and leaves decent lace.

S - A malty aroma with a bit of toffee and some spicy hops in the background.

T - Sweet malt up front with some toffee. More fruity malt character in the middle with a finish of red apple, anise, and moderate bitterness with a lingering spicy hop note.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a balanced finish.

D - Drinkable enough, but I'm not that into it. The malt character is ok, but uninspiring and the beer just seems to be missing something.

3.15/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Smooth Hoperator from Stoudts Brewing Co.