1860 IPA | Stoudts Brewing Co.

good

Added by DIM on 11-19-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 68
4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Bought a single bottle from the Foodery in Northern Liberties. Missed a chance to have it from the tap at McGillin's previously.

A: Pours a golden color with a very nice two finger head.

S: Strong smell of citrus hops. Reminds me of an orange peel.

T: I get pale & amber malt background, then followed by the hops. The hops aren't full throttle but definitely come across as grassy to me.

M: For an IPA, it's rather light. The hops don't punch you in the face like many others that I've tried.

D: I imagine that this IPA was formulated to be a session beer as McGillin's is a place where you meet with friends then drink and drink and drink...I wonder how many of these I could polish off in a night???

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks Dim I needed an IPA tonight
12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass produced a two finger white head that stays around. This sits on top of a clear golden colored ale.

This must be a fresh sample because the hop aroma is great.
There is a nice citrus /grassy aroma that filled my head. The flavor is what I look for from an IPA slight sweet start with a dry bitter finish. It had ample carbonation and was light and crisp in the mouth

A good drinking IPA well worth the try, I could easily session this brew and would if I had more

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured a clear, slightly dark, golden amber that showed plenty of carbonation. The head was a creamy, fluffy white of about 2-fingers in height that left decent lacing with good retention.
Has a floral aroma and also comes through after that whit a stronger citrus hop smell.
The taste has this same floral, somewhat subtle hop taste followed by the citrus and malt with a light bitterness at the end.
Mouthfeel is medium with really nice continued carbonation throughout.
This is a very pleasant drinking IPA, way above average. If I were to see it on tap I would definitely give it a go.

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

Stoudt's brewed this IPA for Mcgillins Old Ale House's 150th anniversary. Fortunately they kept some in house. I loved it on-tap and grabbed a six-pack.

a: This was a clear, golden color with a little copper. It was served to me with a short, foamy cap.

s: Big, fresh citric hops take center stage. Freshly zested lemon and grapefruit. Caramel and toffee are present in the backround.

t: Best IPA I've had from Lancaster county by far. Nothing new or ground breaking, just fresh, zesty citric hops backed up by sweet, but not cloying or abrasive caramel.

m: Lush, creamy carbonation.

d: I hope this comes back in some form. Great IPA that I would love to have on a regular basis.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
1860 IPA from Stoudts Brewing Co.