Amber 25 | Stoudts Brewing Co.

Amber 25Amber 25

Liked:
3.54/5
Alströms:

4.56/5  rDev +28.8%

Yay for Stoudt's! They make me especially proud to be a Lancaster Countian and both Ed and Carol were very nice to me in the late-1990's as a burgeoning Beer Pest. As they begin to transition to the next generation, I have a solid foothold and look forward to further interactions with the family (even if Eddie is a Flyers fan).

I purchased this on the night of the 50-40-25 Celebration, commemorating 50 years of the Black Angus Steak House, 40 years of the Antique Mall and 25 years of Stoudt's B.C. It was a don't miss event and right after I bought a sixer in the Black Angus, another fellow bought a sixer of 1860 IPA and we swapped half of each for the other to great applause as others had apparently not thought of it. Onward!

My pour resulted in a finger of dense, tawny head with good retention. Color was the shade of orangish-amber that really gets my attention on a redheaded female, plus it had NE-quality clarity. Nose was quite malty which represented a real shift in gears for me from the steady onslaught of IPAs these last few days. Mouthfeel was medium and the malt sweetness was not as prevalent on the tongue as it had been on the nose. Instead, it had a very pleasant nuttiness that I really dug. Finish was actually semi-dry, not cloyingly sweet and before I knew it, I had run through the entire bottle! Dang, but I wish that we still reviewed for "Drinkability" as this would rank among my tops. I am incredulous as to how smooth this was! I may not be trading any more away, thank you very much.

3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

I picked this up at Al's -enjoyed chilled from a 1/2 pint.

The color is glowing orange copper with a thick white cap with tight bead and swirling lace sticks. The smell is mostly malt with lightly stone fruit influenced w/ slight pine scent and subtle fruity yeast with mild biscuit ester. The feel has mild malt with dry body and slight spice with moderately high carbonation and w/ light nutty texture w/ gentle hop oiliness.

The taste of this amber has a lively piney and bready yeast juxtaposition which also has light fruity elements with nice dry spicy hop in the finish. Overall I really enjoyed this for what it is a solid amber which is a pretty highly quaffable brew. I enjoy the fact it has lots of balance which is pleasant since some amber ales are more on the sweet side.

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

3.63/5  rDev +2.5%

Pretty much an easy going amber ale, with session-able level of alcohol. Rich amber color a bit of glowing red when held toward some back lighting, big tan creamy head forms. Thin speckled lacing left behind in my pint glass. Aroma has toasted malts, fresh cracked grain coming up with some herbal/mint/mild pine hops, very mild hop additions. Flavor is balanced kiss of herbal earthy hops, toasted malt with a bit of breadiness, really melds well and comes of being a super enjoyable brew. Nothing that rewrites the book on brewing, but it's damn well made from our friends on the other side of PA in Adamstown, even flowing carbonation light and palatable. Go for this beer while it's out there, I really enjoyed it.

3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet, some hops. Taste is well balanced hops and malts, good but mild flavor. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer, but nothing special.

3.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle gifted to me by yourefragile. I like the kolsch, I'm definitely interested in this beer. Beer is amber and clear with a nice white head, some lacing, decent retention.

Aroma is odd, it smells like a kolsch and an amber mixed.

Beer is medium to light in body, the kolsch character is lost in the palate mildly. The finish is mildly bitter but not too strong, the lead off is a malt. I like it, it is interesting but not great.

3.55/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Amber 25
Stoudts Brewing Co.
Style: American Amber / Red Ale
ABV: 4.80 %

Pours a clear medium brown color, with an off white head and some lace on the glass. Aroma of roasted malt, bready yeast and burnt caramel. In the flavor, toasted malts, nutty, mildly smoky roasted profile, with all due caramel sweetness and a faint citrusy hop flavor. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, well carbonated, and easily drinkable. Overall, this is a pretty nice Amber Ale, and a worthy anniversary beer. Pretty solid.

3.71/5  rDev +4.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic. Description from Stoudts... "light bodied, refreshing brew uses a small amount of caramel malt to give it a nice amber color with a hint of sweetness. Lower hopping rates and a smooth dry finish make this the perfect session beer to help you celebrate 25 years of Stoudt’s beers". 6 pack holder also indicates their Karnival Kolsch yeast is used.

Pours a perfectly clear, light amber with a dense, large frothy khaki head. Head has good retention, light carbonation and ample rings of dry lace. Very mild aroma, caramel malt forward, light biscuit, and finish of light earth and grass. Flavor is similar to nose, starts mildly sweet and caramely with some fruity esters from the yeast, before a drier, earthy finish. Nice balance of sweetness and bitterness. Medium thick, creamy body with active carbonation. Not the most exciting beer, but no obvious flaws and I like that they made a nice sessionable beer for their anniversary to complement the barrel aged 5025.

3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

Can't say anything bad about this beer. Color has a nice amber brown with some good head. Smell is of toasted malts, bready goodness, and a twang of hops.

Taste is pretty good. It seemed a bit fuller than 4.8% yet balanced the flavors well. Most noted is the bready toasted malt that gives it a mild gram cracker like taste and the hops balance with a citrus tone.

Overall I would get this again and enjoy it in a variety case if it was included. A very smooth amber ale.

3.48/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served from a twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Pours medium amber, light foam tops. Caramel nose, light and sweet. Little bready. Very light taste, thin maltiness. Hints of toffee.Very mild hop in the very back, not enough to give it any real bite, just slightly balances out the sweetness.

2.96/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a clean orange-ish to yellow color, with an off white head. In the aroma, a small cereal malt. In the taste, a small dry malt, and a not of a grapefruit hop, but actually quint simple across the board. A small bite and a lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry not of grapefruit hops and a balanced malt in the aftertaste. A small hop and balanced, it's ok, but kind of bland.

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

3.04/5  rDev -14.1%

As advertised, this beer is amber in color. There is barely any head. The nose is bland as is the taste. There is some subtle dryness on the finish that is the best part of this offering. All-in-all, this is not terribly special for a "special ale."

3.3/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

25th Anniversary? Stoudts? Limited Release? Next thing I knew, I picked it up and took it home, expecting it to be as good as what I've previously had from them.

Took one out a few hours later, let it warmed up, and poured it out. Nice copper hue, good head, and...well, that was as good as it got.

Yes, I wanted to like this beer and thought that something as momentous as this would taste and feel that way. Instead, I had a very pedestrian beer. Lots of caramel, floral notes, and earthy hops here, with the grape undertone that was found in the Carnival Kolsch. Nowhere near as full as I anticipated both in taste and in the nearly-clear hue. The lack of lacing should have been a giveaway but I had to work my way down to bottom of my pint glass before realizing that there wasn't anything new to be found in the next sip.

I wanted to like this beer - really, I did. I could have more than one in a session but that's only because the alcohol is *almost* nowhere to be found. Fans of Stoudts should give this a go because there's nothing in their portfolio that's quite like this. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up for interpretation.

3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

a: This was a slightly hazy coppery amber color. It was served to me with a firm, thick cap.

s: Biscuits and caramel with light, spicy hops; hints of pine.

t: Moderate sweetness up front, biscuits and fruity caramel. Mild spicy bitterness at the finish. Well balanced overall.

m: Medium body, creamy.

o: Reminds me a bit of other ambers from Stoudts. Hoping for more in honor of 25 great years.

3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

Amber 25 from Stoudts Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 31% out of 100 with 58 ratings