Bourbon Barrel Stout (Clay Street Series)
Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

Bourbon Barrel Stout (Clay Street Series)Bourbon Barrel Stout (Clay Street Series)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
From:
Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

Kentucky, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
Notes:
Reviews: 178 | Ratings: 470 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by AlMarzo:
2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

This is the best vinegar stout I have ever had. Oh? You say it isn't a vinegar stout? That's weird, because that is the only thing I can taste.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

2.36/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz split with a friend who brought it back from a recent trip to Kentucky. Appearance is decent for the style, although a bit heavy on the fizz, but it goes down from there. Tons of sicky vanilla in the nose. Same in the taste, totally one dimensional, not enough bitterness and no malt complexity. Too much vanilla flavor. Does not hide alcohol well. Mouthfeel is kind of weak and not lively. Overall, this beer is not that good, not at all. Always nice to try something new though, even if it sucks.

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

I picked this beer up on a reccomendation from a clerk at a local beer shop and its the first time that they let me down.

On a side note before going forward the expiration date on the bottle was Dec '10. I'm not sure if my overall experience with this beer would have been better if I had a fresh bottle or not.

Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass to find a nice dark body and a tan colored two inch head that almost overflowed from the glass.

The aroma to me was on the bland side, couldn't really tell what was going on and didn't know what to expect.

The carbination hits hard the first couple of sips and was really hard to drink at first. After getting past the carbination I finally notice the bourbon and a few small hints coffee and chocolate.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer. I might consider giving it a try again in the future with a fresh bottle but I feel that the results will probably be the same.

1.85/5  rDev -44.9%

Poured from 12 oz bottle. Purchased from Total Wine in Chesapeake, Virginia.

(Appearance): Pours an almost midnight brown/ black with a 3/4 finger sized light brown foam head.

(Smell): The smell is definitely subdued in this one, although there are slight hints of chocolate and toffee.

(Taste): This stout tastes more like a can of Cola mixed with cheap liquor than any kind of well composed brew. This identity crisis gives it a very cheap and "college party" failure vibe that just takes any enjoyment or class out of trying to drink it.

(Mouthfeel): Moderately carbonated and feels surprisingly syrupy; as a matter of fact, much too syrupy. After the wash down, the very "viscous soda" feeling lingers on all parts of the mouth. Gross.

(Drinkability): Not drinkable. If you were to receive a bottle for free, it would be worth trying for the sake of trying to comprehend how it ever got on the shelf. I couldn't even finish my entire glass. Do not buy.

3.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a very dark brown almost black color with a dark tan head that settles down to a thin head that collars around the glass throughout the session. The aroma is dark chocolate, coffee, and slight bourbon. Medium mouthfeel. Roasty, coffee, dark chocolate, with a slight bourbon note but not really overly strong. Not bad, the body isn’t as heavy as I would like for a beer like this. however, this reminds me of a KBS which brought a grin to my face. A cheap and accessbile beer that is! The bourbon is pretty minimal as well. A pretty easy and good drinking beer overall.

3.24/5  rDev -3.6%

bottle dated July/11

Look: black, and a little cloudy..got some floaters, one finger off white head disappears almost immediately, minimal lacing
Smell: bourbon, wood, raisons and chocolate
Taste: dark fruit, slight bourbon taste and a minor hop flavor as well
Mouthfeel: lighter than what I would expect for a stout, it is very carbonated and doesn't leave much on the finish
Overall: Not an impressive beer. The idea is good ut something is missing here. Picked it up as it's a somewhat local brewery but I won't make that mistake again.

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.33/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.01/5  rDev -10.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Ping glass.

A - Deep dark brown with a one-finger tan head. Good retention and lacing left on the glass.

S - Dark Chocolate and coffee.

T - Smokey coffee, and some tobacco.

D - Thin for a Bourbon Barrel Stout.

O - flavors are here, just not right some how.

3.78/5  rDev +12.5%

[Best served in a Pint galss]

Poured a deep rich black with a large light brown frothy head that lasted about 3/4 of the way though the glass and produced some really excellent lacing. The aroma was strong of burnt dark chocolate malts, a medium leathery yeast with notes of roasted coffee, molasses, some chared oak and a mild dose of bourbon with a hint of vanilla. It tasted, (WOW) pretty awesome with a nice bitter coffee flavor from the onset and then slowly maturing into a nice chocolate, molasses, coffee medley with an ever so slight whiskey finish. Mouthfeel was kind of bold but not as full as I would have thought, more medium than full in body. The texture was absolutly smooth and creamy with a flat carbonation. Overall an outstanding stout, although I would have like a little more body and a tad more of the bourbon flavor.

2.65/5  rDev -21.1%

Every bottle of the 4 pack wouldnt pour right no matter what I did. It always had so much head, that I had to pour an ounce then let it sit. Very discouraging.

The head was a thick off white color that really stuck around. Liquid was pitch black. Lacing was good.

Smell was bitter and roasty. Slightly sweet near the tail end.

Taste consists entirely of over-roasted malt. Slightly metallic taste comes through later, and is not good. Body is non-existent. Its like drinking a porter, only not--its a stout.

The roasty malt kind of just sits on your tongue, like any good roasty porter should.

As a porter, this would be a solid beer, but as a stout, its lackluster in its finest moments. I was expecting smoothness from the bourbon barrels, but it was absent. The metallice taste is disheartening.

4.2/5  rDev +25%

I think I'm liking this more than the other reviewers here. Perhaps there is a lot of variability in the bottling? Or perhaps I am a fan of the style?

It poured black into the Sam Adams glass with just a trace of a brown rim. Very thin head despite an aggressive pour. A ring of foam lasted the whole way down.

I could smell the stout even before bringing it to my nose. Coffee and dark chocolate on the nose.

The flavor was also chocolate and coffee along with some roasted nuances and a mineral presence on the finish. Interestingly, as the beer warmed a bit, I started to get a distinct bourbon and oak flavor.

I am surprised it is at 8.6%ABV as the alcohol is well hidden.

In the mouth I found it rich and a little creamy with adequate carbonation but not too much to produce any adverse scrubbing of the palate.

I liked the bottle I had and would buy again.

3.69/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Deep black with just the faintest dark brown highlights at the edges. Almost no head, just a thin film of creamy off white bubbles. Not much to say, but it does leave a pretty lacing.

S - Alcohol, oak, smoke and some of the deep coffee and licorice notes I love to see in stouts.

T - The coffee flavor is certainly there with a tempered amount of alcohol and a bit of character that seems somewhere between smoke and vanilla and I can only assume comes from the char on the barrel. I like the character but it seems as though it could all be a bit more pronounced and a bit more rounded.

M - This is the weakest character to this beer in my opinion. Light on carbonation, but with only a medium heavy body and lacking the great creaminess I would love to see.

D - This isn't a hard beer to drink but it isn't one that's as complex as the name would suggest. A nice addition to my mix and match 6 pack but not something I'm going to go out of my way to enjoy again.

Bourbon Barrel Stout (Clay Street Series) from Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's
Beer rating: 77 out of 100 with 470 ratings