Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bourbon Barrel Stout (Clay Street Series) | Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

Bourbon Barrel Stout (Clay Street Series)Bourbon Barrel Stout (Clay Street Series)
3.32/5
Okay

Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's
Kentucky, United States

Style: American Stout

Added by CaptinRedBeard on 05-05-2010

2.51/5  rDev -24.4%

A - Pours a dark brown almost black color with a HUGE rocky foam head that is not settling down very quickly...

S- With this being an 8.6% Bourbon Barrel Stout I would have expected alot more from the nose. Some faint roasted malt aromas but I'm not getting much bourbon or anything else for that matter.

T- The flavor underneath all of these bubbles helps me to breath a sigh of relief because I really thought that this might be infected (20 mins and the 4 inch head hasn't settled a bit). Thankfully there is a decent stout flavor here with some chocolate and roasted flavors. Still not much bourbon though.

M- Medium bodied and wildly over carbonated. As I popped the top the cap almost launched across the room. Even with a delicate pour I struggled to keep the foam from taking up most of the room in my glass. Very sudsy mouthfeel and certainly not typical for a stout.

D- The flavor was decent but the nose was lacking and I didn't get any bourbon. Way too carbonated.

2.52/5  rDev -24.1%

12 oz bottle.

It doesn't look that great for a stout. There are carbonation bubbles that stick to the sides of my snifter. The head is fizzier than it should be. It doesn't look as thick and imposing as it should.

The smell is sweet bourbon, not too much oak or stout scent. It has a ton of butterscotch in it too.

This is one thin bourbon barrel stout. Dang. It tastes like guiness with some bourbon notes. It isn't too sweet.

The mouthfeel is thin, not good for the style.

2.55/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from a bottle and wow, so much popping from all of the carbonation. Way too much for the style IMO and I haven't even tasted it yet. Smell is of weak coffee and roasts. No bourbon. Taste has much less body than I want for a stout. THERE'S the carbonation. So much, too much. Still no hint of bourbon. I taste mild malt. Taste kind of watered down with a mild coffee finish. If you are curious to try this, I would recommend buying a single bottle before buying the 4 pack, if possible.

2.6/5  rDev -21.7%

I was glad I finished my review in writing before I read the others, makes me feel better about saying the same things.

The beer pours from the bottle but with a lack of head and the dark coffee lacing you would expect. This follows through on the smell which has little in common with Bourbon other than place of birth, the mouthfeel is thin as reported above but the taste has enough malt to hang in there as a drinkable dark beer, its just a disappointment as a Bourbon Stout.

2.6/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I could have swore I reviewed this brew before because I vividly remember the experience being below average. Here we go again, 12oz brown bottle with a bottled on date of October 2010. This brew pours a very dark brown that once held to the light displays some clarity around the edges. An initial formation of khaki head forms with more than a finger strength and slowly fades to a film that maintains across the top seemingly throughout the entire duration.

The smell of this brew initially has a pleasant character of faint, sweet milky chocolate, vanilla, oak and a bit of roast. More smells reveal some hints espresso-like coffee character that starts to turn like char. When swirled, a bit of sulfur comes out that mixes with quite a bit of mineral component. And there it is, the initial pleasing and expected character of this brew abruptly turns to quite a mineral filled scent that is slightly earthy with mixed notes of stinky cheese.

The taste is char with a bitter roasted grain element that gives way to a light amount of bitter chocolate that lasts into the aftertaste when only a small sip is taken. When larger gulps are taken, there is a tartness present that is a bit distracting and gives a chalky quality that is a bit out of place. Sulfur and mineral flavors run throughout the middle of the profile. Surprisingly this off-character gives way towards the end and leaves an aftertaste of cocoa powder on the tongue. A very strange experience for sure.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with an abundance of carbonation that is effervescent and bubbly on the tongue. I dont want to be the one that screams infection over this brew but this is a drastically different experience from the last bottle I had. The previous bottle I consumed had an abundance of dark cherry tartness and minerals that was not enjoyable at all. While this bottle was slightly better, it still tasted a bit off to me. This brew flirts with having potential but something has gone wrong. I wouldn't mind having this again when it is fresh but I would be hesitant.

2.6/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.6/5  rDev -21.7%

Served in a FoBAB taster pint. Bottled January 2011, no listed ABV.

A - Pours with a voluminous three fingers of mocha foam that settle to a thick cap, and big swathes of lace. Body is an opaque, very dark brown.

S - Smell is strangely mineral and lightly metallic, in an unpleasant espresso sort of way. If I look past that there is some oak and semisweet chocolate. There is also some grain character apparent.

T -Taste is burnt malt bitterness, some astringency, dry oak, anise, and some dark chocolate that comes out as it warms up. Not much sweetness.

M - Very carbonated. Medium-light body, roasty and gritty, dry and tannic finish. Not much residual stickiness. Supremely chuggable, with no alcohol present at all. 8.6%? Really?

D - Was this infected with brett? It's very dry and low in sugars and it's definitely overcarbonated. There are some off flavors in the nose too. The light texture makes this easy to drink even though it's far from the best barrel-aged stout I've had.

2.63/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass. Right on the heels of Backwoods Bastard so I'm in a bourbon laced session.

Aroma is bourbony but also there is some char. Appearance is black with almost no head to speak of.

Taste is not what I like. I am pairing this with fresh chocolate chip cookies and it's still exceedingly bitter, chalky and dry. I'm getting nutty, coffee, and charred barrel flavors.

Not really a strong bourbon taste like some others. It's just a hint.

The stout really overwhelms and in this case, not in a good way.

RIYL dry, bitter stouts.

2.63/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A - Beer is totally black and lets no light through. The head is dark tan and overly active. I had to stop pouring with only a few centimeters of beer in the glass in order to keep from foaming out onto the counter.

S - Very faint aromas. some "dusty wood", but nothing I'd identify as hops, malt or bourbon.

T - A sweet stout, almost like a milk stout. Lots of roastiness, but again leaves a dusty impression with its graininess. Maybe a bit more alcohol flavor than a typical stout. No bourbon or oak in the flavor.

M - Moderate to thick mouthfeel. Lots of creamy carbonation. No alcohol burn.

O - Not a bad stout, but not what I wanted from the label.

2.64/5  rDev -20.5%

A: midnight black with a healthy head. retention is decent with some lacing left as it goes down my gullet. pretty stout looking.

S: woody and big time vanilla bean. coffee as well. same thing on the next visit and the next. kind of dessert-like. i would rather be challenged with some other complexity.

T: boozy and oaky. the wood is a little raw. definitely a vanilla flavor in there as well. maybe some roast, but definitely a bit muted of a roast flavor. not enough body to balance out the first two flavors. leaves me wanting some oats to smooth this body out.

M: starts a bit too lively, but letting it sit allows it to drink like it should. tastes pretty medium-bodied despite the large ABV.

D: overall, this is a miss for me. the backbone just doesnt work with the wood and bourbon and like i said above it leaves me wanting something more from this brew. potential, but i think some tweaks need to be made.

2.65/5  rDev -20.2%

Every bottle of the 4 pack wouldnt pour right no matter what I did. It always had so much head, that I had to pour an ounce then let it sit. Very discouraging.

The head was a thick off white color that really stuck around. Liquid was pitch black. Lacing was good.

Smell was bitter and roasty. Slightly sweet near the tail end.

Taste consists entirely of over-roasted malt. Slightly metallic taste comes through later, and is not good. Body is non-existent. Its like drinking a porter, only not--its a stout.

The roasty malt kind of just sits on your tongue, like any good roasty porter should.

As a porter, this would be a solid beer, but as a stout, its lackluster in its finest moments. I was expecting smoothness from the bourbon barrels, but it was absent. The metallice taste is disheartening.

2.66/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.68/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This was one of the worst Bourbon barrel aged stout i have had in years....very disappointing beer and i had so much high hopes form the Bourbon state.

I got this beer is a trade this week with a guy i know from Facebook. We met at Westvleteren.

Poured in my Struise glass the beer has some problems to get some head. I had to pour the beer firmly in the glass. No particular smell and that is odd for a beer which should be barrel aged.

The carbonation was way too much, it blew out the rest of my sences...in the taste no hints of oak or a barrel at all....

2.68/5  rDev -19.3%

Look = dark dark brown with slight amber edges and some tan head.

Smell = roasted, oak, and coffee are three distinct notes that come to mind. Almost has a hint of burnt/char to it.

Taste = a great deal of chocolate and roasted malt.

Feel = thin to medium body with very little carbonation.

2.69/5  rDev -19%

Picked up a single of this at a Total Wine while visiting the parents. Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pours cola-black with a big foamy mocha-colored head that swells up considerably, only to quickly dissipate to a flat black. Really strange, I've never seen a beer lose it's head so quickly, kinda reminds me of a glass of Pepsi.
S - Bourbon dominates the nose, along with chocolate syrup and coffee. As a bourbon fan, this smells pretty good, if a bit one-dimensional.
T - Dark malt, coffee, vanilla, chocolate syrup and bourbon. Flavors are nicely on-point but...
M - ...Horrible mouthfeel. Thin body with a weird, fizzy carbonation. Once again my soda comparison comes in. Feels like chocolate-bourbon Pepsi.
D - I'm struggling to get through this, I can't believe how badly they screwed up the mouthfeel on this. Make it creamy with lower carbonation an you'd have a great beer on your hands. As it is? A trainwreck.

2.7/5  rDev -18.7%

A- It pours a nice head that leaves vary quickly and leaves no lacing. It has a pitch black body.

S- I get just a faint smell of coffee and a little bit of a bourbon to it.

T- Tase is vary dissapointing it's a real bland taste. I taste coffee and maye a kick from its ABV. It's also has a little metalic feel too. There is jut not alot going on with it.

M- It's a real light feeling beer it dosn't feel like I'm drinking a stout.

D- I could drink it again but I wouldn't want to. I'm sure I could find something better. This could be a really good beer. They just haven't found the right combination fot it yet.

Bottled: March 11

A: Pours a very deep black with just a film of head that dissapates quickly, leaving no suds.

S: There is a sweetness that overpowers those dark malts one hopes for up front in a stout. Not much alcohol to note, toffee-ish notes flirt with caramel.

T: I just don't get any malt here. Definitely a sweet caramel but very one-dimensional.

M: On the lighter end of any stout I've ever had. It's got only a moderate amount of carbonation and quite a sticky finish on the back of the tongue.

O: I'm thinking maybe I just got a bad batch because there just wasn't any head or depth. Slight metallic bite as well. Probably an outlier.

2.75/5  rDev -17.2%

Bourbon Barrel Stout (Clay Street Series) from Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's