AleSmith X | AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith XAleSmith X

AleSmith Brewing Company
alesmith.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

This refreshing, light-golden Extra Pale Ale embodies drinkability. AleSmith X pushes the limits by offering a level of flavor not often found in this classic style. Fresh American hops are abundant but carefully balanced by a light, crisp body and smooth bitterness. Notes of citrus and pine combine with a delicate malt sweetness to create a flavorful drinking experience.

Added by Bierman9 on 02-28-2002

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

S - Not much of a smell maybe hints of grass and citrus.

A - Poured slightly cloudy but a near perfect gold; very pleasing to the eye. Started out with a nice thick white head that thins out but follows the beer down as you drink it. Persistent lacing. This beer has a good solid appearance.

T - Not very complex. Malt first hops follow but ultimately not as hoppy as I like a pale ale. Hints of grapefruit finishing off with pine.

M - This beer is perfectly carbonated and leaves a pleasant bitter aftertaste.

O - Overall I enjoyed this beer very much. It is quite tasty and very refreshing, a simple yet solid pale ale.

3.69/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

bomber into tulip glass. no bottled-on date.

A: a brilliant blond hue. clear. a massive bright white fluffy head. pretty picturesque looking brew. retention and lacing are spot-on to boot.

S: lemons, herbal. the nose smells a little tired. while retaining some citrus qualities, this doesn't blast me in the face with as much hop presence as I would like.

T: plenty of hop flavor, hardly any hop bitterness. a chalky yeasty flavor towards the finish. finish is slightly herbal, as well as having a bit of citrus. otherwise super dry.

M: vivacious mouthfeel. light bodied. bottle-conditioning well-done.

D: I want to say this is a little tired, but I was hoping the bottle conditioning should have helped hold on for a bit longer. also, PUT SOME FUCKING BOTTLED ON DATES ON YOUR PRODUCTS ALESMITH.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

3.32/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice, white head that fizzes loudly and is surprisingly not too dense, but the resin keeps the persistence there. Nice, rich pine aroma. Donkey piss yellow (that's unexpected). Starts off tart and piney with a big note of grapefruit hops. Moves into a surprisingly not too overpowering hop bitterness. Finish is a citrus rind bitterness, medium bitterness.

Being a pale ale from the West Coast, I was expecting this to be over the top. I was surprised by the restraint. This isn't great, but it's well done. I'll try out some of their other brews, simply because I am impressed when I find balanced West Coast brews.

The only other thing that really stuck out for me was that this is really not an attractive LOOKING bier. Most bier, I default to AT LEAST a 3, because how can a bier LOOK BAD!?
Then I poured this. It had a surprisingly weak head....with that golden-yellow, donkeypiss color :/
I'm still giving them a 2.5 because I think "appearance" is a fairly stupid category to average equally against "taste" (I LOVE a gorgeous brew, but that's simply icing; it NEVER makes or breaks one for me).

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%