AleSmith Wee Heavy | AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Wee HeavyAleSmith Wee Heavy

AleSmith Brewing Company
alesmith.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

A classic Scotch Ale. Scotch ales are typically sweet and malty, with a very subdued dose of hops– just enough to provide balance. AleSmith Wee Heavy is a wonderful interpretation of this traditional Scotch style.

Added by Jason on 04-19-2002

Ratings: 1,222 |  Reviews: 471

1.8/5  rDev -57%

2.25/5  rDev -46.3%

2.44/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Any 10% 750 that I can drink entirely by myself and *still* walk a straight line afterwards is deficient in some way. The problem with this scotch ale is that it lacks scotch aleness-- it's thin in the aroma and taste; it has no gravitas, no depth, no weight; there is no smokiness; there is no umph. It's the 98-lb weakling that Charles Atlas warned you about. The bottle is pretty but they ought to put more effort into the contents. If you're looking for a decent American scotch ale, go find a Founders Dirty Bastard. Pass.

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%

2.76/5  rDev -34.1%

I like my wee heavies to have a bit of subtlety to them. I don't want to be mugged by the alcohol or gassed by the boozy nose. This beer has all the subtlety of "Natural Born Killers". When I poured it out, I thought I was smelling the red wine my friend had been drinking earlier. Then I stuck my nose in the goblet. Whoops.

Appearance: Easily the best part of the beer. A deep, dark brown with a lovely tan head.

Smell: Umm, so I understand there's a bit of alcohol in this thing because it smells like I could douse a shirt-wrapped stick in it, light it on fire and explore underground Seattle with that sumbitch lighting the way.

Taste: The alcohol really overwhelms everything else in this beer. I don't know what the malts taste like, or if there is any peat or anything else, because all I taste is hooch.

Mouthfeel: Hey, with a beer this high in gravity, it should be nice. It is. Very velvety and smooth.

Drinkability: To be truthful, this was undrinkable for me. Too much alcohol and very little else going on. I've had this beer for over six months, properly stored in my cellar. Thank god I didn't open it when I got it, or it might have killed me. I've got a few more Alesmiths in the cellar, I hope they are a bit more complex than this one.

I Miss JPS! This one is ruddy brown with some yeast particulates and a small off-white burnt tan head that dies quickly and khaki. Aromas of roasted malts, some coffe, caramel, maybe some chocolate and a fiant whiff of greeny hops. Taste is ok, a bit muddle really, a bit hot and boozy and not very multi-dimensional. Mouthfeel is slick and hot in the mouth, drinkability suffers...Blah, sums it all up...C'mon Alesmith. Brew up that JPS recipe again! Bitches!

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

A; Murky (not to style), dark brown with tan head - good retention.

S: Not a strong caramel component, which is necessary for this style. Low esters, low hops, no diacetyl, and alcohol present (all to style).

T: Caramel notes come across as crystal malts, not kettle caramelisation, hop bitterness bites and lingers (not to style), finish with a bit of roast was rough, the malt notes are overwhelmed by the alcohol.

M: Alcohol warmth dominant, full bodied, moderate carbonation.

D: Rough and strong, just begging for a hangover if you can manage to drink more than one. The bottle I had will probably be the last one I have.

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

AleSmith Wee Heavy from AleSmith Brewing Company