AleSmith My Bloody Valentine | AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith My Bloody ValentineAleSmith My Bloody Valentine

AleSmith Brewing Company
alesmith.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Don’t spend this Single Awareness Day alone – grab a beer! This red-blooded cousin of Evil Dead Red Ale, our Halloween Brew, is a beautiful crimson color. Notes of caramel, toast, and bittersweet chocolate balance an intense bouquet of floral hop aromas that we know you’ll fall in love with. The finish leaves a pleasant, full-bodied sweetness on the palate that won’t spread angry rumors about you to all your friends like that one time when I was…ohh…uhh…Happy Valentine’s Day!

Added by OStrungT on 02-13-2006

2.25/5  rDev -43.6%

2.43/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Beautiful ruby red, black cherry color. Nice 1 1/2 inch off white head.

S - Very subtle, mild malt, bread, a tad of hops, toffee notes are in there and some darker fruits like cherries, plum, a molasses kind of tone.

T - For being 6.66% the malt is pretty apparent. A slight biscuit tone, darker fruits as the note implies, mild cherry, plum, molasses. Almost no hops.

M - Very light to medium body. Nice carbonation, very oily going down. This lingering finish is weird.

O - This is nothing like Evil Dead, not in any way. Evil Dead is bold, this is it's preteen cousin. I did not care for it. I can get the same taste from generic brands. Waste of $5.00

2.75/5  rDev -31.1%

2.79/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Important note: Bevmo was selling this for full price in "seasonals" section but it was bottled on 12/24/13... yikes! Don't be like me, always check that date BEFORE buying/ drinking, folks!

A - Rich, dark and clear red! Healthy foamy head left some nice lacing
S - Sweet, cabbagey, soft maraschino cherries and cream. Perfumy / floral aromas.
T - Confused. Sweet but a little sulfury / vegetably, Slight citrus bitterness but also quite creamy. Images of artificial candy shells comes to mind. Like candied beets or glazed carrots.
M - Fair amount of chew to the body, would be nice if the flavors were more appealing. Moderate carbonation leaves a cream sensation on the end.
O - Beer was too old, not the brewer's fault, I'll revisit this beer when the next batch rolls out.

2.91/5  rDev -27.1%

2.91/5: It's well made, but I don't enjoy the flavor profile that much

2.93/5  rDev -26.6%

2.95/5  rDev -26.1%

App: Dark ruby red with brownish hints. The head was off-white and fairly abundant, providing a decent lacing. The color was a bit dark for a red ale, but definitely reminded me of blood once I thought about it.

Smell: A crisp scent of heavy crystal malts came forth and took over the scent. There may have been some slight piney hopness, but it was hard to say if I was imagining it or not.

Taste: The first sip was really fantastic: a little fruity, a tinsy bit hoppy and very malty. From then on, it was downhill. The taste reminded me of my homebrews when they haven't been aged for long enough. It also had a distinct tea-like taste that seemed to result from some specialty malts. By the end of my pint I was struggling to find something I liked in the taste, and found the tea taste to be overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: This may sound pardoxical, or contradictory, or impossible, but this brew seemed to have both a heavy body and a light body at the same time. The crispness gives it a sense of lightness (along with the tea taste), while the massive amount of malt flavor show it to have a heft backbone. It's definitely interesting, and I can imagine many people enjoying this. It just wasn't for me.

Drinkability: Because the bar stated that this was a 10%abv brew, I must say that it is very drinkable. Not that I'd have another any time soon, but because it's so unnoticable. It feels like a standard red ale. It's so hard for me to believe that it's 10% that I think the bar may have been wrong.

2.98/5  rDev -25.3%

On tap at Johnny's in Highland Park.

Poured a nice dark red color (had to hold this one up to the light). Looks black in the dim bar. Nice one inch head, left good lacing on the glass.

Aroma was a bit sweet, and had a licorice like character to it.

Woah! This brew destroyed my palate! I wasn't expecting it to be so bitter from the aroma. Big kick of hop bitterness; very dry crisp flavor. I was expecting a lot more malt flavor before the hops invaded. Unbalanced in my opinion.

Full bodied brew with good carbonation. Bitter flavor clings to your palate for a bit.

I personally wouldn't have more than one of these in a night because it's just a bit too unbalanced and I couldn't dig the flavor.

terrible beer. the head looks like the stuff that comes out at the end of your puke. Like a mix of bile and chyme. The smell is flat dead junky malt-laden hops. The taste is malty sweetness with a tinge of hops and a chemical caramelized tire aftertaste. Feel is pretty good. Slightly carbonated smooth silky with somewhat of a small hop fizz of carbonation. Dont recommend. Dont drink beer.

Smooth clean sweet mild hop. Not bad.

3.1/5  rDev -22.3%

3.16/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: amber/brown/red with a tan head.

S: hoppy like an IPA, but sweeter.

T: again, hoppy like an IPA, but much sweeter, but also reminded me slightly of a porter or stout due to the caramel/chalky aftertaste.

M: A bit too sweet for my tastes, as I'm not a huge fan of red ales, but still very drinkable. Kind of a weird hybrid of ale, porter and stout as mentioned above. I picked up a 22-oz bomber from my local shop for $3.50 on clearance, evidently they've had it left over since February. Not bad at all for that price.

3.18/5  rDev -20.3%