Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged | AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel AgedAleSmith Speedway Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged
4.52/5

firstprev| 2076-2100 | 2101-2125 | 2126-2150  | next → last
Ratings: 2,137 |  Reviews: 352
3.5/5  rDev -22.6%

Vintage 2006, bottle 70/235; Sampled June 2008
A fairly vigorous pour produces a one-finger thick, darkly browned, tan colored head in my 25cl tulip glass. The beer is simply black as it sits in my glass and no amount of putting up to the light makes it anything but opaque. The aroma has a tartness to it that is strongly influenced by Bourbon-like notes and likely coffee. Roast coffee notes actually play a big role and mix with some fruity, burnt prune notes and lots of deeply toasted malt notes. There is also a nice aroma of richly toasted coconut that still has a touch of sweetness of coconut meat. It also seems to get just a touch musty at times, which mixes in with a lightly spicy oak character and a touch of estery alcohol aromas.

Thick and rich feeling as it firsts hits my tongue, creamy dark malt notes hint at lots of residual sugars, but don't really contribute much sweetness to this beer. A very light carbonation also contributes to the creamy feeling of this brew. Towards the finish the beer thins out considerably while picking up acrid roast notes and sharp, burnt acid quality and a huge bitterness that seems just as much from burnt malt and roast coffee influenced as from the hops. The dual roast influences of coffee and malt actually contribute a tartness that is noticeable throughout the flavor profile, not just the finish, but it is tempered a bit up front by the unctuous body.

As the beer warms up a bit it begins to lose a touch of the acrid character, but seems to pick up a bit more alcoholic heat. This last seems to accent a note reminiscent of burnt prunes. While rich and malty this is surprisingly dry tasting; the thick residual sugars seems to be so well balanced by the roast and barrel flavors that they are not really noticeable. At most there is a noticeable chocolate / cocoa note here, but even this is pretty devoid of sweetness. There is also a touch of almost salty, sort of peat like smokiness that is likely a combination of roast malt and barrel influences. By my second pour the salty, peat-smoke like qualities of this brew are accented even a bit more. This last, in combination with the rich, dark malt flavors really save this beer for me; though it still has an overwhelming bitter and acrid finish at times.

I do like that the barrel influence does not absolutely overwhelm this beer. I am not sure if this is still too young or what, but the roasted grain notes really get overly acrid and bitter in the finish. The barrel influence also contributes to an overall impression of this being unbalanced. This is not nearly as unbalanced or undrinkable as the BA Old Numbskull though, and is even enjoyable in its own right. I think that the complexity of the aged, base beer and the lightish influence of the barrel make this at the very least worth procuring for me.

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

750 ml bottle with gold foil, #32 out of 235, purchased at the brewery for twenty dollars on April 1st, one of the last people to get a bottle thankfully, had to celebrate after finishing my second semester of graduate school, drank the entire thing by myself over a course of three hours, poured into my Chimay goblet slowly last night

A-Appeared to be completely black when it was first poured, then the head settled there was a very tiny bit of light going through the top only, 3/4 inch soapy brown head that went away rather quickly, not much retention, just a little stringy lacing

S-Coffee, complex set of roasted malts, both milk and dark chocolate, sweet cream, half and half, oak, vanilla, a hint of bourbon, nuttiness including cashews and honey roasted peanuts, barely any dark fruit but the ones present were ripe, caramel, and burned sugar

T-First thing that I noticed was different with the barrel aged version was the initial espresso flavor was much weaker, this was not a bad thing because the coffee can be a little aggressive without some age with the stand version, smae chocolate and caramel malt in the middle, but the finish was different at first with not as much dryness but more sweet accents, roastiness was not near as intense in this one because the sweetness overpoured it, this is usually not a good thing but definitely was in this case, never had a beer this sweet that went down so easy, later on the oak and vanilla started to shine through, vanilla mixed wonderfully with the chocolate, the aftertaste started to get a little boozy by the end but the only way I got tell was the sensation on the tongue, thought this beer would be much stronger tasting, incredibly balanced with sweetness and roasted accents, this is much better than normal Speedway because it is more subtle and complex with no flavors overpowering others, would love to be able to drink this more often, taste was enjoyable to say the least

M-Medium body, did not expect this to be as thin as it was, taste lingered for up to five minutes at times, warming was nice because it was not overpowering, not much carbonation but a few small bubbles throughout, spicy on the tongue towards the end, sweet, roasty, dry, complex, and tangy mouthfeel

D-This did not feel like twelve percent by any means, went down easier than any imperial stout I have ever had, could barely taste any whiskey in it and all booze were hidden very well, not heavy on the stomach, incredibly smooth, could have drank more than the twenty-five ounces even

I had a few people tell me this was their favorite beer ever and I am right there with them, certainly in my top five of all time, Speedway is good by itself but after being in a barrel it is just amazing, too bad this is only brewed every two or three years, now I know what all the hype was about, the three hour drive to get a bottle was definitely worth it, Alesmith has something going for them with their barrel aged brews, cannot wait to see what they come up with next, would be ecstatic to drink again, cannot recommend this one enough, have now had three different years and this one is for certainly for real

4.56/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

25.4 oz. bottle, 2006 Vintage, #108/235,

A: Pours black with a very minimal head, some lacing.

S: Great smell, full of roasted coffee, baker's chocolate, and bourbon/vanilla.

T: Sweet coffee comes out first, mocha, then a burnt of bitter dark chocolate comes out. The aging certainly smooth things out, some of the harshness that the original can have at times was non-existent. Light vanilla comes out as well, with some light acidity to end the beer.

M: Very smooth, very light carbonation, oily, medium-bodied.

D: An interesting beer to compare to the original, both are tasty as hell and very enjoyable. All and all, the BA Speedway that I had was very interesting, but definitely a different animal than the original. If you get a chance to pick this beer up, it's worth it.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a dark black color with a mocha colored head. Head diminishes to only a ring around the glass. Smell of coffee and soft bourbon, maybe some hints of chocolate and oak. The bourbon is nicely balanced in there, it's not overpowering as so many other barrel aged stouts have been. Taste is simply exceptional. Roastiness adds a nice touch to the dark chocolate and bourbon. Hints of vanilla and oak, but I am once again impressed on how well the bourbon is integrated. It's like a soft, smooth, high quality bourbon barrel was used; it's not harsh at all. A little less than full bodied, with a soft amount of carbonation. A pure joy to drink, I am forever greatful for being given the opportunity to try this.

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

157/228 2004 courtesy of kmcnair. The aroma is muted chocolate, light oak and roasted malt and while it smells good it doesn’t really wow you either. The body is deep black with a fading, but initially quite thick and creamy, mocha head. The curious thing about this head is that unlike many BA beers you can always tease this one right back up to impressive stature.

The fore is hot with spicy oak notes, black chocolate, burnt malt, espresso, some light bourbon and oddly some fairly nutty notes. The coffee seems much less concentrated than in the regular version. The mouthfeel actually has held up quite well and this is a world class beer, but sadly it isn’t quite the wonder beer I have dreamed for over two years. Perhaps that is my fault, but while it’s great it’s not the beer I hyped it up to be in my mind. Which still leaves a wonderful brew.

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

Originally reviewed on February 18, 2005. 2004 Un-numbered bottle. Pours a dark black with no head and almost no carbonation. This doesn’t bother me, since my favorite in this style was even more still. Ruddy orange fringe. Holy shit. Aroma is a building steam train of gentle coffees and tahitian vanilla beans steeped in fresh whipping cream and brown sugar. Moves into a supple and not harsh bourbon poured into gingerbread and spice cake. A hint of brandy vapor. Some savory herbal notes, with oregano and tarragon. Sweet candied limes dipped in rum sugars, with a finish of black currant and pears. Flavor is priceless and indescribable. Fuckin’ liquid heaven. Really hard to describe because the flavor is so similiar to the flavor, almost to a tee. Palate is a dense, absolutely syrupy sugar elixir that holds, disperses, and perform the flavors with total elegance. Finish and smack carry the very gentle and floral glowing qualities of an exquisite 21-year old single malt. A lot of the rich condensed malt and oaky finish characters ring through. More vinous then beery, with copious rich berry notes and continuing brandy and cognac vapors in the finish. Totally rounded and mellowed by the beers, with NO harsh edges. And the flavors are original each time they touch the palate, without fatigue. Finally, it’s a touch thin, to me, as it could be even denser, but it still has that ubiquitous cold cream texture that stays with the beer and maintains astounding density and quality as the beer continues. All around beer heaven.

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

This beer pours like black tar. It looks very thick. It has a thin brown head. The head fades slowly, leaving many very thick laces.

This beer smells of Bourbon. But only subtly, not overwhelmingly. This beer also has a pretty strong coffee aroma. Some chocolate mixes in also. It has a slight oak aroma also.

Wow. This beer tastes great. It tastes on Bourbon, but not overly. It is subtle. It also has the characteristics of the regular Speedway Stout. Coffee and chocolate upfront.

This beer is incredably smooth. It leaves a slight Bourbon aftertaste. It also warms slightly as it goes down. This beer is very low in carbonation, due to being aged for a few years.

I doubt this would make a good session beer due to the alcohol content. However, other than that, it is very easy to drink. Surprisingly so.

Overall: Bottle 93 of 228. Good job AleSmith. This beer is awesome. I was out of town when this beer was released. Thank you very much abizzles for so generously hooking me up. I owe you dude.

4.52/5  rDev 0%

I believe bottle #81/228

Had this sitting around the campfire in Mammoth thanks to a good friend. A perfect time and place for such a beer.

The regular speedway is one of my favorite beers, and I place it above Dark Lord and Stone. I think the coffee is just perfect for the style and love it.

Pours jet black in an AleSmith tulip glass. Little carbonation, but more than I expected. It's a big beer that’s been waiting a long time to be poured in my glass.

The smell is amazing. Pick up the alcohol first, hints of bourbon, then comes coffee and chocolate.

The smell matches the taste. Alcohol first, but not overpowering. Silky smooth but surprisingly, a little thinner than I would assume. Not as thick as Founders KBS. Be interesting to have the two side by side, since it's the only beer that could come close to comparing with the BA Speedway in style. The BA Speedway seems more balanced though, probably due to the aging. The coffee seems subdued compared to the regular speedway. Not sure if that was due to the aging or the bourbon. So many flavors. Really don't pick up on any oak. Just to much going on in this beer. All I know is I sipped on this one, enjoyed night, and savored this truly great beer.

Of course it's an amazing, well crafted beer. Now does it live up to the hype? Who knows. It was different that I expected. It's not the best beer I've ever had, but it's definitely up there. A prize to anyone, but I wouldn't sell my soul for another one.

Bottle #32/228
Started off with the regular Speedway, it had been a long while since I had it, wanted to compare the 2. Regular Speedway was better than I remembered, my palate has grown to favor Imperial Stouts. Now on to the BA Speedway

Pours pretty much the same as regular, but smell is not the same. Has dark ripe fruits in the smell, as well as the expected coffee and chocolate, mild alchohol. Very nice smell, couldn't wait to get the first taste.

Holy crap! This is the smoothest beer I have ever had! Goes down like silk, very little alchohol flavor, but the warming effect is there. I am not one to give great details on flavors, I am still learning to pick out the different ones, so I can't do this beer justice in my description. Very mild bourbon flavor, coffee, chocolate, but very different from the regular Speedway. 100% smoother, and the regular Speedway is pretty damn smooth. I have not rated a ton of beers, but I have had over 600 different beers, and I think this is #1!

This gets a "5" from me. I don't see how to improve on this. I can't wait to age my other bottle and try again in a couple of years. To all who have this beer, ENJOY! To all searching for it, GOOD LUCK

The 2004 Barrel-Aged of an already awesome favorite...couldn't wait any longer, someone had to open one! Bottle # 68 of 228.

From the new labeled, 750ml. green champagne bottle pours a pitch black (almost brown) that let's no light through my tulip glass. A 1/2 inch of cocoa-brown cap sits on top. Mild carbonation and a little sticky lace as you go...nice. Although it's been classified as an American Double Stout previously, it is very Imperial Stout like as well, thus the RIS listing here.

The smell is of dark black roast coffee, chocolate, black licorice and alcohol, and it smells even better as it warms. This stuff smells tantilizing, correct me if I'm wrong.

Amazing flavor, after I have a sip, my tastebuds start to water, I'm not kidding! The entry is sweet (not too mention alcoholic) and strong with coffee, black licorice, bitter-sweet chocolate and liquer. Full of intense flavor that intertwine beautifully into a toxic, elixor of bliss. It is a definitely a notch + above the Speedway as I Know it...it's f-in tasty!

The mouthfeel is smooth and alcoholicly warm, the body is only medium-heavy, not as thick and chewy as I was thinking, the flavor is truly exceptional...absolutely exceptional too me.

Great to drink right now...can't wait to see how this one matures.
Awesome stuff, Cheers to the fortunate few (and everone else of coarse) !!!

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

bottle 66: Black body wears a thin off-white head. I can’t wait for the old numbskull version. Obvious bourbon barrel aroma. It comes out minty (after eight chocolate) and candyish with all the usual stoutish aspects. Big whiskey and roasty suggestions. Large hop presence although the barrel aging really seems to mellow them out for the best. Bitter bourbon finish. Mild acidity doesn’t alterate the pleasure. Fruity and almost anise reminiscent. Great balance for such a monster. Thick body with smooth low carbonation. Good going Alesmith. I didn’t notice any coffee. To me, this is far more pleasant than the regular speedway. Thanks again hopsrus.

4.43/5  rDev -2%

Dark brown color. Medium head. Aroma is malts, dark sugar and fruits. Full bodied Imperial Stout. Malts are roasty, chocolate and coffee, with touches of vanilla and dark fruit. The brandy/bourbon flavor is evident. Nice blend of chocolate, wood and smoke. Very smooth. Bourbon and chocolate flavors blend well together. Touch of alcohol bite. Nice beer. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

firstprev| 2076-2100 | 2101-2125 | 2126-2150  | next → last