AleSmith Decadence 2005 Barrel Aged | AleSmith Brewing Company

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

2.16/5  rDev -47.4%

Wooof! I looked at the label to see if Brettanomyces was mentioned, so I can only conclude it's a less welcome bacteria in my bottle. Still some malt but mostly the back of the mouth sweet 'n' sour. Oddly salty, very bitter and not from hops. The longer that taste sits on my tongue the more I want a large glass of water. Sorry I didn't taste it sooner, or someone in San Diego is selling a case they kept in the metal shed. Apparently five years is too much for this one.

4.59/5  rDev +11.7%

I had the pleasure of obtaining a bottle of this wonderful beer and I chose specifically New Years eve to crack it open. Come hell or high water I was gonna try this beer. Served at cellar temp, bottle 127/280 this wonderful beer was decanted into an oversized wine glass and consumed on 12/31/2008.

The pour was very nice, a rich dark brown in color with a very cloudy nature to it. Some small sediment in the bottom of the glass and a light tuft of off white foam rising up over the top of the glass. Small retention left behind nothing more then a bare top on this one.

The aroma was loaded with vanilla and oak notes. Thick with barrel aged goodness, it was just spot on perfect for what I was hoping. Notes of toffee and caramel coming through very nicely as well as it warms. THe first taste was smooth as could be, age treated this one quite well. A wave vanilla and bourbon just washed over the tongue, smooth, subtle and inviting with a delicate warming as you sip. Each sip more complex then the one before it. Rich caramel and vanilla are dominating every sip. There was a mellow and subtle grain base here that left the last sip with a long vanilla backlash.

Overall this was a tremendously good beer, something that I was glad I got to try and was worth me tracking it down. I would gladly get this one again, it was just that damn good!

3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

Thanks for sharing this, Chris.

A: The pour is a murky amber color with a finger of off-white/khaki colored head.

S: Smells of bourbon and oak with tons of vanilla. Pretty typical Alesmith barrel aged beer nose. Dark fruits and booze with a mild tropical fruit note to it, strangely enough. Sweet toffee and caramel with a light toasted malt aroma. Plenty of oxidation, too.

T: Just like the aroma, the bourbon, vanilla, and oak characteristics are quite powerful. Lots of sweet malts, particularly toffee and caramel. A little bit of cherry with some other dark fruit notes such as plums and raisins.

M: Medium bodied with a sort of surprising amount of carbonation.

O: This was a bit too oxidized on the aroma and maybe too boozy. But, something I've really wanted to try. Glad to have done so.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Brad, you totally rock. Bottle 41 / 124.

Dark copper body with a thin tan collar. Sweet, fruity malts, oak, bread, light spice. Sweet and vinous. Caramel candies with some sugary breads. A touch of cinnamon. Low carbonation and smooth on the palate. This has held up surprisingly well, considering this bottle is over a decade old. Fun!

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

2.5/5  rDev -39.2%

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

8/29/2011

Thanks to Chris for sharing at Woodshop Classix.

A: Ruddy brown and murky with a fleeting white head.

S: I'm greeted by caramel and bread with rich toffee and a light cardboard presence. Bourbon is very light and there's a dash of vanilla. Much oak wafts from the glass.

T: Rich caramel blends with toffee, and once again the bourbon presence is light. There's still a little alcohol heat and a lower moderate earthy bitterness. Oak and vanilla are evident. There's more cardboard in the flavor than there was in the nose.

M: Upper medium body with lower moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is smooth and sticky with warming.

Overall: It was really nice to try this again, but it's undoubtedly far beyond its prime. Cardboard is taking control.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

750ml bottle acquired from an SD friend in my time of need. Thanks for the opportunity, Scott. 2005 vintage, #85 of 280, gold foiled cap.

Poured in a heavy glass chalice, poured with a scant skimmy tan head over the cloudy chestnut brew. What bubbles there are quickly retreat to the rim, with a slight swirly film coverage. Aroma is deep rich malts, oaky vanilla notes, and a dominant alcohol presence. Taste is sweet dark maltiness upfront, sharp fruitiness in the middle, which gives way to the oaky alcohol that warms all the way down, leaving some numbness in its wake. Mouthfeel is up and down, with the high on the malty start, the nadir on the overpowering fruit tartness, and somewhere inbetween the alcohol charcter. Drinkability is ok, but I wasn't as wowed by this to start, and the barrel couldn't change it much for the better. A nice brew, but not my Alesmith favorite.

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

I am not sure what bottle number this was as it got rubbed off the back. I was only able to get one bottle of barrel aged beer at the release but I had a couple small glasses from another bottle so here are my thoughts. Dark brown-red in color and murky as a swamp. Smells sweet, whiskey, vanilla aromas. Flavor was strong whiskey,more vanilla, and a barleywine hiding in the back. This was definitely a beer to be sipped and savored, everyone who partook enjoyed it.This was a very good old ale, very decadent and now I don't know when the hell I will drink my lone bottle.

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle. Bottle # 69/280.

Poured a deep and cloudy brown color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of oaky woodiness, vanilla, dark fruits, and some caramel. Tastes of dark fruits, vanilla, bourbon (but not over powering), wood, chocolate, and oak. Medium alcohol burn in the finish.

Notes from 12/17/07

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

Review #500, chose to drink something very special for this milestone, it was the hardest to find beer in my entire cellar, and I am one hundred percent happy with my choice to drink this tonight

750 ml bottle purchased from the brewery where I sat in line for over an hour and a half, cost me twenty dollars with a one bottle limit unfortunately, bottle #49 out of 124, darker bottle version with gold foil, not the first batch with green bottles that is shown in the picture of the description

Split this with four friends tonight that have all been eager to see what this tasted like since I put it in my cellar, wish I would not have shared after tasting it, could have easily drank this baby all by myself

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter with a dark reddish brown color, looked more red in the light, appearance was really murky but it looked like nothing I had seen before from a beer, practically no head, but the little one immediately following the pour was certainly off white and creamy, not much carbonation or retention though, minimal lacing as well

Smell was complex and had a great mixture of aromas overall, bourbon was definitely the overpowering scent but it was fantastic and spicy smelling, I also got some fermented dark fruit inlcuding raisins and prunes mostly, lots of vanilla, good amount of oak, some light chocolate and toffee scents, sweet malt but not overwhelming like some old ales tend to be, the bourbon really helped balance out the different smells of this beer

Taste had a very nice bourbon introduction, each sip was far different from the next, along the way I could taste lots of dark fruits that I also smelled beforehand, there was huge amounts of vanilla and oak towards the middle, once it warmed it became even easier to drink and there was some sweet caramel and toffee flavors, a hint of hoppiness somehow that gave a somewhat dry finish, the balance between the bourbon and malt was something special and made this beer so smooth, most high alcohol beers in this style have a sweet aftertaste but this one definitely did not, more of a spicy finish with a miniscule amount of boozy flavors, this stuff will probably get even better in the next year or so when all the tastes mold together even more, fantastic taste overall, this is the type of beer that could potentially turn someone into a beer snob, I am sure I will never get the opportunity to drink this again but I am thankful I did this time around regardless, this beer had a taste I will never forget

The body had a perfect level of thickness, it was not too thin and flat like some of these barrel aged beers tend to be, it had a little carbonation and the beginning but nothing overpowering, the mouthfeel was both spicy and creamy, taste lasted a long time afterwards and gave the chest a burning sensation like a glass of whiskey would

Could have drank this all night long, had about ten ounces total probably and wanted a lot more, skeptical about sharing this in the first place and after the first sip I became even more, not heavy, not filling at all for a beer of this nature, the alcohol is hidden better than any other beer I have had at eleven percent, this stuff was incredibly smooth and had flat out scary drinkability

Very pleased that Alesmith found more of this to bottle right before they released this along with the BA Old Numbskull and Wee Heavy a couple months ago, was scared I would not get a bottle of this based on my position in line, there was so many people there, some flew from the east coast just to grab the five bottle limit, that is some dedication to beer drinking, could not see myself doing that for any beer, but that is because my disposable income is far less than many

This was hands down the best old ale I have ever had, if not the best beer period, regular Decadence was pretty good when I tried it but this gave new defintion to the word, I wish I had a case of this stuff, it probably continue to get better with age by continuing to mellow and let the bourbon take control of some of the sweeter malt and fruit flavors, highly recommended even though you will probably have to trade away a lot of beer to land a bottle, an amazing brew to say the least, I wonder what will hold up to this one if anything, do whatever it takes to find a bottle of this gem

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.52/5  rDev +10%

Opened this up with angry John McCain (Jwolfie70) for one of our rare get-togethers. This was a very, very difficult beer to get. I think I was one of the last five people to obtain this after waiting for hours at a big-ass line at Alesmith. Only 126 were ever bottled ... it's somewhat sad to think I'm never going to get a chance to taste this again.

Pours brown with a reddish tinge. Surprisingly robust head/carbonation considering the aging and alcohol content. Smells mostly of bourbon, though there's some dark fruit and malt caramel in the head. I was a little afraid this was going to be a bit too one-note (which is what happened, to a certain extent, with the barrel aged Wee Heavy).

The taste was heavily layered with tasty bourbon, but this beer definitely retained a lot of complexity. I noticed a ton of oak and vanilla. I see that quite a reviewers also detected vanilla, jwolfie and I went back and forth on this a bit. I thought this was a pretty vanilla-y beer, which I loved as it balanced out the heavy oak and bourbon. There were some raisins/figs or prunes in here as well.

Absolutely fantastic.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

From the second release of this beer. Dank fine looking chestnut colored with a yellow head of 2 fingers fading quickly.

Amazing nose. Sweet english malts toffee, caramel, fig, date, raisin, prune, hints of oxidation, bourbon, toffee, wood hints of earth and brown sugar.

Whiskey shows through nicely with that woodsy toasted vanilla lusciousness. Date really shows throght with the fig and prune behind, brown sugar and mollasses. Not as sweet as the nose would indicate with only slight oxidation. Nice with some years to go still.
A sweet potato flavor as well.m

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle in trade from Padrefan98. Thanks for this one!!
Pours a hazy, muddy, brownish color. Smell is aged maltiness, oak and bourbon and very well balanced. Smells great. Taste is raisiny, malty with a light alcohol and bourbon flavor in the finish. Medium bodied, and no real heat from the alcohol for me. Really drinkable and tasty.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast