Speedway Stout

Nov 09, 2002
SCORE
World-Class
Speedway StoutSpeedway Stout
Notes: Jet Black, with an off-white head. Starts with a strong coffee and dark chocolate sensation, then fades to a multitude of toasty, roasty and caramel malt flavors. Clean and crisp, full- bodied. Warmth from the high alcohol content lightens up the feel. You won't fool your taste buds - this beer is HUGE!
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Ratings by rickyleepotts:
4.76/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75
by rickyleepotts from Arizona

I can't look at this bottle, and not think about Indianapolis. You know, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, home of the Indianapolis 500? I lived in Indiana for 28 years and never went to the race. I never saw the Brickyard 400 there, either. Or the moto GP stuff they did. They even race F1 there. But I did walk the golf course, so there's that! Matter of fact, we had tickets to the Indy 500 the last year we were living in Indiana and didn't end up going. Oh well, go fast and turn left!

Until recently I hadn't tried this beer. We couldn't get AleSmith in Indiana, ironic, but the other day after 18 holes at Papago Golf Course we went over to O.H.S.O. They had it on tap. I remember it being great, but I was also eating a jalapeno burger and drinking several other beers. So today I can focus on the beer as is, and spend some time with this big black bottle. We did get the chance to try the Vietnamese Coffee Stout a few weeks ago at a tasting. It was incredible, as well. OK, here we go… Speedway Stout!

In the Glass: OK, so this beer looks amazing coming out of the bottle. It's thick and I can already smell the coffee. Then the dark tan head starts to form and just sticks to the side of the glass like glue. I don't remember my sample of O.H.S.O. being so memorable. But like I said, now I am able to focus solely on the bottle that I have in front of me.

The beer, as the head begins to settle, is dark as night and the head just sits there. Give me a spoon because that head isn't going anywhere. This is a good sign of a great beer to come.

Nose: At first I am smelling dark roasted coffee flavors, then I get a nice metallic ting toward the end of the sniff. Granted, I am smelling the head… so the beer itself might smell different. I will want to see what it smells like once the head is gone. I am also getting some nice milk chocolate aroma toward the finish that have me tasting the beer before I even take a sip. The head is gone… time to take a sip! (Actually, the head isn't gone… but I am getting impatient. Bottoms up, people!)

Flavor: This is too cold, but I couldn't wait any longer. Glad I didn't… WOW. This beer is incredible. There is a TON of coffee at first, then the booze kicks in, and the finish is that of a nice cup of Joe. Holy crap, this beer is amazing. I can't imagine how good this will get with age. The bottles says to wait 6 to 24 months before opening this. I would like to see what 3 or 5 years does to a bottle of this. That is just an incredible flavor and experience all across the board. I do NOT remember is being this good on tap. I haven't had a ton of beers from AleSmith, but this one is one of the best beers I have had in a long time. Bravo, AleSmith!

Mouthfeel: It's thick, and there are no bubbles to speak of. It is almost too thick, and I am sure it will thicken a bit as it heats up. But that's OK. That is just a part of the overall experience with this bottle. It's a big bottle, too. I was surprised when I took off the foil it was capped and not corked. Oh well, still a great beer and I am SO glad that it is on our list. I am starting to stop buying beers that are not on the list to get through the beers we have to buy. Of course, I am still buying a few six packs every week of stuff just to enjoy!

I did take a sip to swish around in my mouth, and it didn't really do much for me. The bubbles then become overwhelming, and the finish becomes drying. Speaking of the finish…

Aftertaste: Not my favorite part of this beer, actually. I would say just the overall experience here is my favorite part. This is a bottle that, if drinking alone, I could spend 2 or 3 hours with. I bet this would be a good cigar beer, too. Regardless, the beer is very easy to drink considering the ABV, and you would never know that as this heats up. The booze begins to, as it nears room temperature, disappear and more coffee and chocolate flavors rush to the surface.

AleSmith, you have outdone yourself. This bottle is worth every penny of the $12.99 price tag, and is the official Total Wine & More 1001 Bottles bottle of the week this week at the Scottsdale location. It's cool to get a local liquor store to promote what we are trying to do here. One beer at a time, anyway!

If you haven't had this beer, do yourself a favor and get a bottle. This beer is ridiculous. I will let my last few sips get to room temperature before I finish my glass. Man, what a great brew. Cheers!

Apr 18, 2013
More User Ratings:

4.48/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
by NevadaBill

Wow, this is something special. I've been trying to get to Alesmith whenever I am in San Diego (for 10 years), and just found out they moved to Mirimar area. So I made the trip over. They have a dozen special so on tap this day and I am able to even try Bourbon Barrel Speedway Stout too! This is not a sweet beer. And I like them that way (Roasted, Toasted, and bitter). And now they have this at my local Total Wine as well. Stouts are my favorite variety, and this goes near the top. They have a taco truck that stays outside the brewpub on some days. I have no idea, but something in this beer knocks me on my a$$. Great stuff!

Apr 14, 2022

4.34 by not2quick from Missouri on Mar 31, 2022
4.92/5  rDev +12.3%
by Christianriveraaa

Look: Poured from a pint can - Black nova pour with light foaming. A bit of lacing on the side of this as it's glued to the glass. Can't see anything inside if it has carbonation rising to the top.
Smell: Instantly after pouring I got hints of rich chocolate, banana's, a hint of coffee, big malts. BIG.
Taste: Wow! I felt I got hints of a chocolatey banana mix along with a coffee after taste. I'm still not over how they managed to make this taste chocolatey and banana-ey at the same time.
Feel: Medium bodied - not to much carbonation. Easy sipper to drink.
Overall: I loved it! I wasn't expecting it to be as smooth as it was as usually coffee stouts are medium to coffee dominant. This one doesn't seem to be the case. It seems to be the opposite bringing out the flavors of chocolate, banana (even though not listed on the bottle), malts and then the after taste of the coffee. Good job! Two thumbs way high.

Mar 18, 2022
4.25/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by EmperorBevis from England

Bottled in a big bomber and purchased from Cafe Beermoth
Pours a jet black body with big thick tan head
Aroma is good filter mocha’d up
Flavour is coffee can irished up

Mar 14, 2022

4.28 by Taenim from New Jersey on Mar 13, 2022
4.08/5  rDev -6.8%
by LunchMoney from Minnesota

The smell is good, coffee and chocolate as expected, but not as strong as I would like.
The flavor is kind of sharp, as in one or two notes overpower a little and you can’t pick up what else is going on. Taste is okay, but definitely a little bitter for me, especially the finish. The aftertaste, after the bitterness leaves, is good, with the chocolate malts and coffee coming through.
It’s a fine beer, but I was kind of expecting it to be a little better.

Mar 11, 2022
4.51/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5
by NeilSilber1 from California

Pours dark chocolate with khaki head and deep notes of dark chocolate and coffee. Amazing imperial stout at 12% ABV.

Feb 12, 2022

4 by n2492004 from Michigan on Jan 30, 2022
4.89/5  rDev +11.6%
by Denverbeerman21

Pours black with tan brown head. Smell chocolate, coffee, roast. Not too bitter, thick, creamy, chocolate, caramel. Well balanced, fills your mouth with flavor, more as it warms. Can't taste 12%. Well done.

Jan 20, 2022
4.31/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by wadamslll

Holy banana. I swear they use bananas in the brewing process. It’s a super odd beer. I prefer just the flat Guinness. I doubt I would buy this stout, it was a gift. Still, the 12% abv is great. Good sipping stout after a dinner.

Jan 17, 2022
4.03/5  rDev -8%
by KT3418 from Colorado

I will have this again at the temp I prefer, right now I'm forced into having it colder than it should be. Head was huge, canned in 2019, site says it ages well...I think it does actually but I really need to try at the recommended temp. Coffee and roasted malt are still pretty present though

Jan 09, 2022

5 by Resistance88 from California on Jan 08, 2022

4.14 by QuintusHorace from California on Jan 06, 2022

4.68 by NateHarburg from Michigan on Jan 03, 2022

4.08 by sisterofba from Maryland on Dec 05, 2021
4.41/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5
by turfy from Texas

Black body with a tan head. Decent lacing. Aroma of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee and some vanilla. Taste is slightly sweet , consisting of bitter chocolate , coffee and malts up front. Slight lingering burn on the tongue. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth with just the right amount of oiliness and weight. Just about perfect. An excellent stout!

Dec 05, 2021

4.36 by santig0nzalez from Paraguay on Oct 20, 2021

4.16 by cheefdaddy1 from Texas on Oct 17, 2021

4.07 by BLPasch from Michigan on Oct 10, 2021
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
by leaddog from Canada (AB)

Appearance - Pours a dark jet cola brown with two fingers of bubbly mocha tan head.

Smell - earthy and leafy hops, bitter coffee bean, cocoa, milk and dark chocolate, toffee, plum, raisin, caramel, roasted malts, alcohol warmth, and earthy yeast.

Taste - earthy and leafy hops upfront then quickly goes into the bitter coffee bean, cocoa, milk and dark chocolate. The toffee, plum, raisin, and caramel follow suit. The roasted malts, and earthy yeast round out the brew. The alcohol is there but is disguised within the complexity of flavours.

Mouthfeel - Medium to full bodied with moderate to full carbonation. Finishes velvety smooth with the bold coffee, and chocolate notes lingering.

Overall - A well executed and complex imperial stout from AleSmith. This has been on my radar for quite some time now. All flavours blend cohesively and would appease to any fan of the style.

Oct 10, 2021

4.49 by Teion from Canada (AB) on Oct 07, 2021

3.75 by blackcloud from Alaska on Sep 16, 2021
4.31/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by dano213 from Pennsylvania

16oz can purchased from the fridge as a single for $5.99. No canned on date.

Look: Jet black, opaque color with a dark tan compact two-finger head that slowly receded to a half of a pinky finger. This beer looks like it has very nice body - think and viscous.

Smell: Lots of soy sauce/umami notes initially. Some fruity notes as well, along with some sweet licorice and roasted malts. I can pick out some dark fruit aromas like bing cherries, raisins, prunes, and figs. Surprisingly, I am not getting a lot of coffee on the aroma. Baker's chocolate, amaretto, and a touch of acidity. There's this nice perfumy note on the back end, which may be from the hops.

Taste: This is certainly a big beer, yet it tastes incredibly smooth. Coffee certainly comes through in the taste up front. There is a bit of acidity up front that works well overall. The mouthfeel is nice - very smooth. The finish is decadent unsweetened chocolate. The flavors linger long and leave a rich feeling on the palate, even though the beer is very dry. There is also a sharp bitterness on the finish that leads me to think that the bitterness is coming from hops more than it is coming from roasted malts or coffee. The 12% ABV is hidden very well. And it's interesting that while the coffee flavor is pronounced, the coffee does not overpower the other flavors in the beer.

Feel: The mouthfeel is lovely - very smooth. I was expecting the mouthfeel to be a bit thicker based on others' reviews. Nonetheless, it has a very nice mouthfeel.

Overall: I haven't had this beer in a long time. I was expecting the beer to have a bit more of a coffee aroma, but it certainly tastes like coffee and I don't know when it was canned so I'm not really holding that against it. One thing that I really like about it is that to me it tastes like an imperial stout first, and a coffee stout second. To me, this has the character of an imperial stout, which then had coffee added to it as the label says "Imperial Stout with Coffee"...not "Imperial Coffee Stout." Normally I would recommend not aging a beer with coffee, but I would be curious to see if age may allow this beer to become more rounded and showcase more of those lovely dark fruit notes.

From the can:
Chocolate and roasted malts dominate the flavor, supported by notes of dark fruit, toffee, and caramel. A health dose of locally roasted coffee added to each batch further brings out the brew's chocolate notes and enhances the drinkability. This beer will continue to age for many years to come.

Glassware: Goblet | Serving Tem: 50-55 degrees F | Pairs Well With: Creamy Blue Cheeses | Origin: Est. 1995 SD / CA

Aug 17, 2021

4.9 by Birdsack from Georgia on Aug 05, 2021
4.13/5  rDev -5.7%
by HopHunterCL from Ohio

Pours thick and jet black with two fingers of rocky tan head.
Aroma of sweet coffee and dark chocolate.
Nicely bitter roasted flavor. The coffee definitely comes through. Moderate alcohol burn.
Full mouthfeel with some carbonation.
This is a solid imperial stout with all the roasty chocolate and coffee flavors you would expect. My biggest problem is the container. Why would anyone want a 16 oz. serving of 12% imperial stout unless you’re sharing with three other people. I would be more likely to purchase this again if it came in smaller cans.

Jul 14, 2021
4.5/5  rDev +2.7%
by blazerkor from Nevada

I smell the alcohol out front but it's followed by coffee and malts.

The first thing that I taste is sweet alcohol but it's followed quickly with bold coffee.

It's a thick stout with just enough carbonation to feel it. It feels really smooth. The finish is long and bitter. This beer really sticks in my mouth.

Overall it's a great coffee forward imperial stout. I give it a 5.4 out of 6.

Jul 01, 2021

4.5 by Quarantinehobby from Massachusetts on Jun 30, 2021
4.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by cjeep from Pennsylvania

97? really? well, actually, I think I agree. no born on or best by date but seems to be just fine, thank you very much.
L: drinking from the can. it's a bit boring but what can you do?
S: bit subdued but has the promise. getting a bit of coffee and dark chocolate that pays off in the taste.
T: lots of coffee. dark chocolate. folks talking coconut but I got nothing from that. but who cares? this is tasty stuff no matter how you play it.
F: Smooth and rich. Light carbonation.
O: Good stuff, man. Seek it out!

Jun 29, 2021

4.27 by Coronaeus from Canada (ON) on Jun 19, 2021
3.78/5  rDev -13.7%
by Eddieeight from Ohio

Rockin a pint can from my local shop for about $5. "Mostra coffee and coconut". Poured into a goblet. Thick creamy khaki head that's about an inch thick, bubbles up and disappears within about a minute. There isn't a strong smell to this beer. It's very faint, getting some chocolate, coffee scents. Taste is strongly like coffee, black coffee. Lots of roasted malt, big on roasted malt. And a little bittersweet chocolate added in. Funny, but I really can't taste the coconut even though they say it's there. I guess my palate isn't sensitive enough. Mouthfeel is lively and full, medium thickness. Overall, it's a great beer but not quite unique enough to earn my highest marks. Some beers I can write on and on about. I can describe every little nuance, every little filigree and lace. For this one, I'm at a loss for words. It's not really inspiring to me. Honestly i don't really have a whole lot to say about it. Good enough to get me a little buzz though.

Jun 19, 2021
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
by RyanK252 from California

Can poured into a Bell's Brewery snifter

A: Pours basically black like used oil with a frothy khaki brown head that settles to a light layer and laces nicely.

S: Roasty, earthy, a little char, a hint of smoke, slight herbal notes, solid hit of coffee, chocolate, dark fruit, molasses, and a touch of toffee sweetness.

T: Roasted malt, a little char, nice touch of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, subtle earthy herbal notes, dark fruit, plum and cherry, molasses, a hint of smoke, peppery spice, and a bit of dark sugar sweetness.

M: Full body, moderate carbonation, creamy smooth, with just a touch of warmth.

O: Probably the first big imperial stout I ever had back in the day when I was really getting into craft beer, before I joined BA, so it's nice to do a proper revisit and review. Just as good as I remember it. Glad to see the legend lives on.

Jun 12, 2021