AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

#270

Ratings: 6,938 |  Reviews: 1,722

4.73/5  rDev +8%

I've been sitting on a bottle for about a year and then I happened to come across another while in Cleveland for Christmas. So I've decided to have one to celebrate my new car - a VW GTI.

The most elegantly bottled beer I've had the pleasure of opening. A brown 750 mL bottle with silver screen printed label. The silver plastic "foil" over the cap peels off easily unlike real foil found on Avery's big beers, for example.

Served cold and poured into a large wine glass. It is extremely dark, even on the pour there is barely any color. It has great espress crema-colored that settles very slowly leaving some thick lacing on the side.

The aroma is full and robust. There is great dark chocolate and espresso in the nose.

Flavor is simply excellent. For someone who loves stout and coffee in almost equal measures, this has got to be the ultimate. It starts with sweet melted dark chocolate and a hint of caramel. As it lingers in my mouth, the intense coffee flavors come forth with some very strong bitterness. Hops play a big part with this beer as well bringing an herbal, minty flavor.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with creamy smooth carbonation. The only down side is the strength of alcohol and bitterness. Drinkability is difficult to judge as well. Although it's a fantastic tasting beer, it's simply too strong in flavor and alcohol to enjoy much more than a glass.

This is up there with some of the best beers I've ever had. Great coffee flavor without taking over the beer. This was certainly worth the wait and the space in my suitcase.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass

Appearance - pours motor oil black with a dark tanish brown head that starts off at about and inch and then smooths out to a beautiful lace.

Smell- the smell doesn't have a lot of coffee which i though it would have. But it has hints of chocolate and caramel. A smooth roast begins and finishes the smell. Great smell but the coffee wasn't very strong.

Taste - so great. The coffee blends so well with the chocolate and caramel undertones. The aftertaste is strong coffee but it doesn't overwhelm the palate. There are very very subtle fruit like figs.

Mouthfeel- very smooth for a 12% abv. Only a very slight burn and not a strong carbonation which is consistent with a high abv. It has a smooth finish with lingering coffee taste.

Overall- a very very delicious beer. The taste is amazing but a little more coffee smell would increase the overall score. I recommend this beer to anyone who like imperial stouts. The feel is smooth and finishes great. I relly want to try one of these aged for about 2 years to see how it improves.

4.73/5  rDev +8%

I've had this beer sitting around for a year or so, finally got around to opening it up tonight.

Great presentation, I love the hefty 750ml bottle, foil wrapper and silk screened logos. Just as pretty when poured, too! Nearly absolute black, zero light gets through with a big dark brown head that lasts a long time.

Very nice aromas. Lots of coffee, dark chocolate, burnt malts, and a chocolate liqueur note that reminds me of a few Russian imperials I've had.

Flavors confirm for me, this is a world class beer. Great intensity and balance of rich dark chocolate, french roast coffee, blackened malts, a little bit of earthy hops. Just the right amount of bitterness that strikes a better balance than some of the ultra-high IBU impy stouts I've had. Despite the 12% abv, alcohol is expertly hidden; no alcohol heat to be found here. Full body and long finish that leaves the pleasing flavors lingering.

Yet another incredible brew from Alesmith. I wish their beers were not so scarce here in Portland. Superb beer that's worth a try if you can find it. Not cheap by any means, but totally worth the price of admission. I'll be looking for this one again.

4.73/5  rDev +8%

2004 vintage thanks to hopasaurasrex!

A - like motor oil, thick viscous black brew with a large dark tan head.

S - deep dark chocolate, arabica coffee, cocao, molasses and dark fruits.

T - rich dark malts, chocolate, coffee notes swirl in a warming vinous blend of wonderfully aged stout!

M - full bodied, nicely carbonated, vinous, smooth, warming

D - this bottle was shared amongst friends and it found a great home! a slow sipper but what a nicely aged stout to savor!

a bit pricey in these parts for me to build a big cellar of but darn was that tasty!

4.73/5  rDev +8%

750ml bottle purchased for $10.70 on 6-1-7 at John's Marketplace in Portland.

This is probably my favorite double stout right now, and is definitely on the short list of my favorite overall beers. Pours a viscous opaque black, with a controllable dark tan head. I pour mine so that it stands slightly above the brim of my glass. As the foam makes a hasty exit, it leaves substantial lacing draped around the inside of the snifter. The aroma is of toasted malts, coffee and chocolate. The taste is very rich. Big time roasted coffee character accompanied by a wide range of chocolate notes and a faint hop bitterness. The alcohol seems to have been defeated by these stronger flavors, but reminds you of its own strength once it sets up shop in your stomach. This is the perfect beer for a cold/rainy fall/winter night.

4.73/5  rDev +8%

Rich coffee, chocolate, and roasted flavors and smells throughout. Amazing and strong. Looks great. Lacing for days. Smells amazing. Tastes even better. Creamy and enjoyable. Easy to drink for a huge stout like this. Alcohol sneaks through a bit in the scent and the taste, but not bad for a 12%er. Great young. Need to get a few to put away and age.

2013 Bottle, poured into snifter

I've had this beer a few times now, figured I was well versed enough with it to get off my lazy ass and review it lol

The appearance is that of any quality Impy Stout. Pours black with a mocha brown head. Not overly carbed (duh), so the head isn't very prominent, but damn does it look good.

The smell is very coffee and chocolate forward. I'm sure it's been said many times, but how are their not candles that smell like this. Reminds me of Mazzaro's, for you Florida folk lol.

The taste on this one is great. Starts out with a mild chocolate sweetness before progressing into a strong coffee presence. The malty sweetness balances out the subtle bitterness from the coffee perfectly. Very rich flavor, so a perfect desert beer.

The mouthfeel on this beer is probably the only thing not practically perfect. I don't know why, but it seems just the wee bit thin. Perhaps it's my imagination, but it just seems slightly watery. For something so heavy and rich, I'd expect a motor oil viscosity (ya you Ten Fidy).

Overall, this beer is one of the best non-BA stouts I've had. It's no wonder the BA version is so damn good, it's base beer is stunningly delicious. I would recommend splitting the bomber with a few friends as the ABV is masterfully hidden and can become quit a chore to tackle on your own. Cheers!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

4.73/5  rDev +8%

Poured from bottle into a chalice.

Poured thick black with small head, color is black as oil. Smell is a double shot of coffee oozing from every corner, then hints of chocolate, grapes, malt, and a prevalent kick of alcohol. Tastes hit you with an impressive blend of strong coffee and hints of chocolate and fruit finishing with a pleasant bitterness and sweetness. Just an amazing imperial stout. Well blended, but strong stuff. Drinkability may be a little strong for some but for those in need of a well made stout, step on up, there goin' fast.

From notes:
I had this on tap at the Blue Palms Brewhouse in Hollywood Califas!!

Appearance: Black as any stout. The head is mocha colored and sticks around for a good while

Aroma: Coffee, some bakers chocolate, I also detect a little hop as well. The aroma in this stout is not as pronounced as many of the big RIS’

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and almost creamy. Great mouth-feel

Taste: This beer has a rich premium coffee taste there are some malts in it as well. The coffee does wonders in hiding the heat in the alcohol

Drinkability: This is by far the most drinkable RIS that I have ever had. This beer has an ABV of 12% yet I feel like I can easily quaff this goblet down!

Overall: This is a definite go to IRS, the drinkability will make you forget that it is a huge stout. Easily one of my favorite beers of all!!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A- motor oil dark, coffee colored head, plenty of lacing, somewhat a thick head for 12 abv, sticks around for a little bit.

S-dark chocolate, roasted malt, fresh coffee grounds. You can tell it's a big beer, toasty sweetness, a little subtle, but increasing coffee as it warms. really nice.

T- Big coffee notes, i think its more along the line of beer in my coffee, not literally but if you had this beer you know why. Nice robustness, of the coffee, blends so well, but still punches you in the face. Taste buds are going nuts with this one. Its pretty creamy, slight vanilla at the end. Mild alcohol, you dont really tastes it, but it does let you know its there in the back of the throat and inner nose.

M- Very think, like a frothed mocha shake that's melted into a malt. Surprisingly clean finish as well, almost like it sticks to your tongue and cheeks, one of the best mouth feels on a beer ive had in a long time.

0- One of the best coffee stouts ive ever had, creamy, toasty oats, really good coffee notes. Don't pass this beer up if you like stouts, this is a must for any coffee stout fan, in which is my second favorite style behind ipa/dipa's. If you see this and don't pick it up you are fooling yourself. Extremely hearty and perfect for dessert and even could drink this to replace coffee in the morning soooo good.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured this into a snifter after taking it out of the fridge and letting it sit on my counter for an hour. I've made mistakes in the past having a straight cold-from-the-fridge glass first. Never again. This approach was perfect.

The pour is near-black; gorgeous khaki-colored head that dissipates, but never leaves completely. Best lacing I've seen with a stout.

Taste is damn near perfect, and it feels like smooth velvet on the tongue. The coffee is so well-balanced that it beats Founders Breakfast Stout, in my opinion. Bravo!

I'm glad this bomber is all for me. I'm going to enjoy it as it continues to warm and open.

4.73/5  rDev +8%

I drank this out of a little shrimp cocktail bowl at a New Year's Eve bash. It was a pretty decent substitution for a snifter. I came a bit early and there weren't too many people around, so I was able to take notes without looking like the biggest geek on the planet.

Appearance: The pour is black as night with a brown head- one of the darkest heads that I ever did see.

Smell: The aroma is intense. Coffee, a Central American, roasted beyond any logical limits by some Pacific Northwest roaster, meets chocolate and alcohol in the nose.

Taste: The massive flavor profile has dark, city plus roast coffee verging a on short shot of espresso with plenty of crema, semi-sweet chocolate, molasses, bourbon vanilla, and warming alcohol. Fuck me! This one isn't so bad.

Mouthfeel: The oozing full-body is slightly creamy with a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability: It's 12% and it definitely becomes apparent by the halfway point, but you would have to pry it out of my semi-intoxicated hands before I'd give up one drop of the 750 milliliters of brilliance that is Speedway Stout.

4.73/5  rDev +8%

750 mL bottle, silver foil over cap, split with a friend to celebrate our birthdays. Purchased last May, so let's say it's about a year old.

Dark, near opaque black liquid with a massive, dense coffee colored head. Amazing retention and lacing, very impressive looking beer. Aroma is also also exceptional, heavy on roasted malt, bitter dark chocolate and light coffee notes. One of the first things we noticed was that we didn't notice any alcohol presence whatsoever. Full bodied, extremely creamy, luscious mouthfeel. Body is sweet, chocolately and molasses like, with roasted malt and finishes with a strong, but not overly bitter coffee taste. One of the most impressive stouts I've had, incredibly well balanced (sometimes with coffee stouts I feel like the coffee is a little overdone, as much as I love coffee).

4.73/5  rDev +8%

Poured into my Darkness goblet.

A: pours pretty thick, settles opaque with virtually no head, spotty lacing

S: roasted malt, dry dark coffee beans, light hops, a little alcohol, not as strong as I was expecting

T: coffee, roasted malt, chocolate in the middle, some hops at the end, just really tasty, can't quite put my finger on it

M: incredibly smooth, but rich, not as acidic as I was expecting

D: very drinkable in my opinion, the alcohol was not too present for my tastes, I could have drunk the whole bottle if I let myself

4.73/5  rDev +8%

Poured into a 20 oz Duvel tulip. Pours a midnight black, with a sticky mocha head that leaves plenty of lacing. Smell is roasted expresso, dark chocolate, and carmel. Taste is all about the strong expresso flavor, the nose is awesome, but can't compare to the flavor. Body is medium large, a good amount of life, a little dry, and very drinkable for the size. This is a awesome stout worthy of its place on the top 100.

4.73/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to KingG for the bottle. My bottle has a different label than the one shown here on BA, so I'll assume it's kinda fresh, not that it would matter with this beer. Pours with a huge head, I've seen blacker stouts. On the third pour, I finally get some globs of lacing. Smells of chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, and alcohol.

Taste is fu#king amazing! Initial semisweet roasted malt, which quickly turns to burnt malt, coffee, milk chocolate for a tenth of a second, then dark, very dark chocolate. Even the foam tastes good, burnt to a crisp would be an accurate description. Mouthfeel is less oily than some imperial stouts, but as thick and chewy as any. Silky, smooth, and vinous. Incredibly drinkable, albeit very heavy and filling.

I have enjoyed this as much as any imperial stout, save for maybe Rogue Imperial Stout 01, and even then it's a tie.

4.73/5  rDev +8%

from notes. I drank this badboy stout down in the heat of palm desert. Somehow the plan to lay a bottle down quickly morphed into drink immediately. Oh well.

Appearance: poured into a wine glass, the head is a dark tan, not white at all, with lots of lacing. The beer is deep dark black and the head held for as long as can could be excepted for the 12 percent, but would have liked a bit more. Still hands down the darkest foam I've ever seen.

Mouthfeel: a freakin' 6, how can such a dark beer be this light drinking? I've had ESBs that drank thicker than this. Could it be the coffee that makes the mouthfeel this thin? So nice drinking this beer, so easy.

Drinkability: yeah it's super easy to drink. The alcohol sort of made the last 5 ounces take some time but I was going good until then. Really ace.

Taste: Ok, I started this colder than recommended, but shit it's Palm Desert. Extremely tasty sheets of coffee and chocolate hit the tongue. Not "like" coffee and chocolate but dead on in fact. Deep slurps bring on just a hint of booze. A respectable bitterness holds it own and there is a slight sweetness.

Smell: Saved smell for last thinking it might improve but no. The smell is way more boozy than the taste and the coffee and chocolate flavors, which are there but hover in the background. Still pretty good though, and the beer taste's and drinks so well, one hardly cares. A "must buy" again and again.

New review 11/20/10
Pretty, pretty, pretty good

a: pours like black cough syrup, forming a dark tan head. It's like a black hole, can't see any light through it. Kind of hypes you up.

smell: major coffee. but sweet coffee, not bitter. nice

taste: just yum. Doesn't really taste like "beer" but that's okay. So rich and coffee like. Can't taste but a hint of alcohol. I taste chocolate and coffee so who can complain.

mouthfeel: yeah, it's thick. But really, with this alcohol level you need it to be.

drinkability: between a siper and a drinker. For my money a top notch stout.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Picked up in a trade with Kaiser81.

Beer pours black with a tan head. The aroma is strong chocolate with a little bit of coffee and roasted malt. The flavor has more coffee than the aroma but the beer finishes with a nice chocolate flavor, which gets stronger as it warms. There is also a bitter chocolate note that really works well with this beer. You get a little alcohol in the flavor as well. The mouthfeel is very creamy and makes this beer absolutely delicious. This is one of the best stouts I have ever had and I will definitely try it again.

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company