Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

#269

Ratings: 6,906 |  Reviews: 1,714
4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

This is the third beer in my birthday trifecta. A lone tiger in the year of the rat. Poured a big ass 750ml into my glass, wife promised to help (yeah right)...

Man, I thought Stone Imperial Russian Stout was black. This bitch is black! Looks like 30wt after 10,000 miles. Not that I would know, I change my oil every 24 hours. Heh, heh. Shows a little dark brown hue around the edges in bright light, otherwise-black.

Smell: coffee beans, dark fruit, alcohol.

Taste: starts smooth, then the 12% says "hey, stupid, here I am." Whoo hoo! Also ... whoo hoo!

Uber rich, creamy, smooth, like I'm getting my chassis lubed. Heh, heh. Great stuff. It's possible that I may, might, maybe, prefer the Stone RIS but I just can't tell.

Overall: Happy birthday to ME!!!

750ml bottle poured into my tulip

Opaque black with a huge dense two and half inch brown colored head. Long lasting head that slowly fades away and leaves good amounts of lacing.

Aroma consist of chocolate and lots of it. Milk chocolate dominates the aroma with bits of dark chocolate as well. Some dark cherries, brownies, espresso, vanilla, and roasted malts.

Taste upfront is of dark chocolate with a bit of espresso. Mild milk chocolate midway with a touch of vanilla. Some barley and bit of coffee bitterness in the finish.

Full bodied with minimal carbonation. Sweet aftertaste.

Good stout that I would recommend for others to try.

4.09/5  rDev -6.6%

Had to write this one the morning after because I got a bit too drunk from that big bottle!

A: One heck of a dark beer - straight up opaque black. A bit disappointed that it poured with no head - maybe this was one of those issues AleSmith had been having with the beers sent to the east coast. In any case, the lack of head really detracted from the beer's appearance.

N/P: This really is a coffee stout. I think I started drinking this one a bit too cold so a lot of the flavors didn't come out very well. When it warmed up the coffee and roasted malts hit the palate hard. To be honest, I had a hard time pulling anything else out of this one - the coffee really dominates.

M/D: The alcohol I felt was a bit too much. I guess I should have expected it at 12%, but it was a definitely a bit stinging throughout the session. Other than that, the beer was fairly creamy and had a pretty good texture. Drinkability is fairly low, although I did manage to kill the bottle myself :)

All in all a good beer, but certainly it did not live up to my expectations. Perhaps this is a different beast on the west coast, but unfortunately, this is the only one I had to review.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle is unknown year.
Poured pitch black with a 2 finger tan head into a Modern Times Snifter.
Nose is not heavy on the coffee but more cocoa.
Taste is also more cocoa than coffee with some slight bitterness with coffee undertones on the backend & in the finish
Feel is smooth
Overall less coffee than I expected but still a great tasting beer

4.09/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

(bomber bottle, bottled 01/27/1? - last number mangled, but it looks like a 5 or 6 - wouldn't surprise me if it is a 5, given that the store from where I purchased this routinely has old bottles on the shelves... poured into a teku)

L: nearly jet black liquid; buff brown, flighty foam... little foam retention, leaves almost no collar

S: deeply malty, over-baked cookie, bitter black chocolate... coffee barely pokes thru, very little booze... floral phenol, hints of dark fruit (vinous)

T: moderate, bordering on assertive roasted grain, supported and tamed by an underlying semi-sweet toffee flavor... mellow bitterness, citrus peel-like in its flavor, possibly some faint black tea... touch of ash and molasses in the aftertaste, later some subtle menthol and nuttiness emerges... malt is fairly dense throughout

F: medium-bodied, not quite edging toward full/thick - thinned out well by understated yet enlivening ethanol

O: good - nothing distinct/memorable flavor-wise... rather mellow and refined (by age?) for its ingredients and listed strength... seems like it's in a faded state (which is great for drinking), but I'd prefer to try this more fresh next time

4.09/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.09/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev -6.6%

I definitely want to drink this right once I purchase it just to compare to the aged bottle I drank.
Poured a jet black with a nice tan head
Smells of roasted nuts, hints of coffee, chocolate and vanilla
I was kinda disappointed in the taste - I got mostly a ton of smoke with very little coffee and chocolate. A little bit of vanilla in the aftertaste.
I definitely want to give this beer another go, just because of that smoke flavor I got.

4.09/5  rDev -6.6%

A: beautiful pour with excellent head and retention. Very viscous looking, but still nice brown head.

S: pretty standard for a hoppy stout, and I get very little hint of coffee or anything excellent.

T: great blend of hoppy bitterness, coffee, roasted malt, and sweet caramel. Excellent.

M: doesn't get better than this for mouthfeel. This is a huge stout, but with medium carbonation it comes alive.

O: solid beer, though disappointing in smell. Still awesome, but maybe not worth the price tag.

4.09/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: Black, good head for a strong beer.

Smell: Good coffee aroma.

Taste: Moderately sweet chocolate, pretty strong coffee flavors, some hot-boozy alcohol.

Overall: Alesmith is in Wiscoland so I picked up a bottle to try. This is pretty good, but could maybe use a little cellaring to better integrate the alcohol. Sometimes a 12% beer will show the alcohol and sometimes it hides it--I prefer the ones that can hide it better.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4