Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

AleSmith Speedway Stout | AleSmith Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

#268

Ratings: 6,907 |  Reviews: 1,715
4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

This is a very dark beer pouring a dark black with an inch or so brownish/cream head. Smells of coffee and alcohol were the first thing I thought of. Tastes of coffee and roasted goodness made this beer live up to it's expectations. Mouthfeel was smooth and there was a good amount of warming as I sipped this one. I drank a 750 over the duration of the Patriots game and was happy I did so at home as the 12% will kick your butt.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Dark brown color with mocha head. Aroma has sweet malt and chocolate pralines with coffee liquor. Taste is quite malty and sweet at first but the coffee bitterness and roasted malt takes quickly over. Medium body and carbonation. Quite boozy for a coffee stout, kind of overhyped.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: Poured into my DFH Signature Glass. The beer pours with no head at all but a light lacing around the edges of the glass. The beer is pitch black and next to no light comes through even when held to the light.

Smell: First I am hit by the coffee flavors. Very nice. Next are the roasty flavors which really complement the coffee well. I liked the smell as it warmed up a lot better. When it was cold I did catch some metallic flavors but that was replaces with a nice sweetness.

Taste: There is a lot of coffee flavor in this bad boy. A lot of the bitterness in this beer comes from the coffee and some from the roasty malts.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated, smooth and creamy. A little thick but more towards a medium feel which was nice.

Overall: I would recommend this to anyone. I liked the beer and while it was not my favorite in the style it is certainly well worth the time and money to acquire.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice opaque black. No head. Consequently tiny aroma. Bummer on both counts.
But, golly, this tastes good. Like, well, like an imperial porter should. Sure, it's sweet, but there are other things going on to help balance that out (and it ain' carbonation). Chocolate milk made with that bitter Mexican chocolate powder. Some coffee. Butterscotch all over the middle of the mouth as you swallow. Then, immediately, a quick burst of light citrus all over the whole mouth. Lingering dark chocolates. Whoa.
The wife loves it but then, well, she is a big dark chocolate fan. Ha.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Never made it to the cellar, taken from the fridge and left at room temperature for roughly thirty minutes prior to opening. Pours jet black with khaki head.

Raisin, coffee, and black licorice bombard the nose. Very slight soy passes through the nostrils on the exhale. Very powerful.

Sweet, booze laden, dark fruit flirts with the tongue soon to be pried away by a burnt, harsh black malt flavor that sticks around for awhile. My mouth is left very dry, eager to revisit the initial sweetness. Not picking up as much coffee as I would have expected apart from in the aroma, but it is present. Chocolate notes are noticeable throughout. The sweetness comes through more as it warms, providing more balance to the harsh bitterness.

Lush carbonation provides a pleasurable experience. I bet this would age rather well, perhaps mellowing the unforgiving harshness that lingers long into the aftertaste.

To me, the nose stole the show, really very nice. I'll go as far as to say that if you pick up a bottle of this for yourself, ultimately, you won't be disappointed. However, I'm not sure I'd seek it out if it wasn't in my market. A solid representation of the style.

750ml bottle
Served in a snifter

A - I'll just call this one black. There is no light getting through. A rather aggressive pour yielded very little mocha head.

S - I'm getting anise and molasses. I get a little coffee. This is a cellared bottle.

T - The taste is similar to the aroma. Anise seems to be the theme here. Although I get plenty of roasted malt flavors. The coffee has seemed to have faded.

M - Viscous as tar.

O - I'm thinking I should have had this beer fresh and not messed with aging it.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Have had this bottle for a year and a half, and finally opened it. Consumed from my Trappist Rochefort goblet.

A- Pours almost pure black, very dark, no light passes through. Nice healthy tannish head, good retention too.

S- Coffee predominantly, with some notes of caramel. Also smell some dark fruit and some booziness.

T- Tastes mostly of dark coffee and caramel. Nice malty backbone swoops in for a second, and then fades to a nice coffee aftertaste.

M- Very nice mouthfeel. It is more carbonated than most beers of this style, but it works. Gets better as it warms...

D- Pretty heavy but the mouthfeel keeps drawing me back. The initial flavor was good, but the coffee aftertaste got to be a little much after a while.

A tasty coffee stout, and always a safe bet. It has a touch too much coffee in it for it to be perfect for me, but I'd buy it again. The Barrel Aged version is perfect, as the barrel aging mellowed out the coffee.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 9/3/13. 750ml bottle poured into a snifter. Pours black with the slightest amount of light getting though; fluffy dark khaki head that sticks around and leaves great lacing and retention. The aromas are loaded with chocolate malts. Lots of malts. Lots of chocolate. Slightly roasty. Lots of dough. Hints of vanilla. Flavors are very bold. More roasted malts. Lots of dark chocolate. Lots of milk chocolate. That combination is of course going to equal out to being bittersweet. I'm picking up some caramel too. There's some dark fruits in the mix, especially hints of black cherry. There's not as much coffee/expresso notes as I was anticipating. Alcohol goes completely unnoticed. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and very smooth. It's fluffy and creamy with moderate carbonation, but isn't quite milkshake thick. Once again, there's no hints of alcohol at all. This is beer is dangerously drinkable. It's hard to believe this is 12% abv. It's fun to drink.

Great stout right here. It blows your mind in the beginning, and then just becomes really good. But that "really good" can hang with most Imperial Stouts on the market. The craftsmanship on this beer is top notch. Recommended.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

A - Pours dark brown which olive hued chocolate syrup highlights. Little brown head that quickly dissipates.

S - Chocolatey, dark coffee, little bit of soy sauce.

T - Really robust coffee, chocolate syrup, cocoa powder.

M - Velvety, low carbonation, medium bodied. My description cannot accurately capture it, but the mouthfeel on this one is pretty close to perfect.

Thanks to Scott from the CBX for tossing this one my way.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Presentation: Bomber bottle poured into a Portsmouth Brewery tulip. Enjoying this on a really snowy day at room temperature.

Appearance: Dark brown to black in color. A nice mocha colored head rises. About one and a half fingers in size with prettt good retention.

Aroma: Rich coffee beans, definitely good coffee. Some milk chocolate and a surprising bit of heat.

Taste: Rich coffee upfront. Balanced nicely with some milk chocolate. Not cloying or overly sweet at all. In fact, the coffee is really the star. Smooth, but a bit one dimensional.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, low carbonation, and a little thin near the end of each sip.

Drinkability: Very smooth for a 12% stout. I had no problem with finishing a bomber, but definitely a sipper.

Overall, I enjoyed this a great deal, but I was slightly underwhelmed. I have heard a ton about this beer and while the coffee notes were great, I can't help but feel this is slightly one dimensional.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

A - pitch black with a nice cappuccino colored head that didn't hang around too long.

S - the beans are in the foreground along with a nice roastiness from the malts.

T - this beer IMO is superbly balanced; nothing in the flavors are overly dominate and everything works well with one another.

M - again I think this is a really nice feature of this beer as its not overly syrupy or too heavy. Carbonation is there but the beer is just silky smooth and a pleasure to drink.

D - really the only draw back to this beers drinkabilty would have to be the alc%.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

This can be a difficult beer to find. Fortunately, I found it and I was looking forward to drinking it.

Served in an oversized wine glass at a relatively warm serving temp- about 55F. The color is very dark coffee- almost black. There are bubbles in the bottom of the beer, and the head seems to have some carbonation.

The aroma is strong cherry and coffee. I expected more coffee, but the predominant smell was cherry- and fruit in general.

The beer was a bit carbonated, almost unpleasantly so.

The finish was very alcoholic as expected. The coffee taste seems dwarfed by the alcoholic presence. Regardless, the finish is richly alcoholic with coffee overtones.

This is a sipper. Take your time on this beer. It's a contemplation beer- probably more suitable for the winter, but I wanted to try it, so I opened the bottle at the end of summer.

Overall, quite good- perhaps excellent. It's overwhelming. Worth experiencing.

2012 vintage.

Big cocoa aroma, slightly sweet chocolate, and roast malt.

Flavor is lacking in malt depth. Roasty and malty in the finish. A very drinkable 12 percent. The cocoa comes out as it warms.

A- pours pitch black with light brown head. 2" head from vigorous pour
S- Smell is extremely strong of coffee. Smells creamy as well
T- Huge creamy soffee flavor as can be expected from te nose. The coffee flavors fades to a woodey smokey flavor. Huge roasted malt flavor
M- Thick and medium carbonation give this a good mouthfeel. Good, but nothing spectacular worth mentioning about the mouthfeel
D- drinkability is so-so on this one. The flavors are great, but its really a sipper and due to the strength and viscosity, I don't think I would want more than one. One bomber is enough.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.11/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks to my buddy Al for another great, rare pickup for those of us from Indiana who don't have some of these great brews available to us.

Poured into New Belgium snifter. Pours jet black with 4 fingers of mocha foam that leave a significant amount of lacing.

You can't taste the 12% in this beer, but you can certainly smell it. The booze aroma actually overrides the dark chocolate, smoke and molasses that you can slightly smell

Drinking this beer is like eating 85% cocoa chocolate with some carbonation. It's fantastic

Carbonation is surprising in this beer but not overwhelming. Beer transitions from sweet into a nice bitterness.

I've been lucky enough to try some really good stouts and this one is right up there

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.11/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Poured a deep black color with it a beautiful 1.5" thick and frothy brown head. The head retention was great. When it did finally start to dissipate, it left behind good lacing. I also noticed some carbonation making its way up the glass.

S - The chocolate hit my nose first. It's followed by sweetness from the dark fruits and vanilla. Some roasted malts are mixed in too. I found the coffee aroma to be very subtle. I guess I was expecting more coffee on the nose. For 12% abv, I really couldn't sense the alcohol's presence. The aroma is overall pleasant but nothing complex.

T - The coffee comes through more in the taste. Still, I feel the chocolate notes come out more here. I get dark chocolate up front with some bittersweet chocolate on the back side. I was a bit surprise by the bitterness of these beer. The alcohol makes its presence know but it's not overbearing.

M - This beer is very smooth and drinkable. I would never guess this beer is 12% abv. This is a full-bodied beer with a slightly creamy feel and solid carbonation. The booziness adds warmth to the overall taste/mouthfell.

O - I would have probably enjoyed this beer more if I hadn't hear so much hype about this beer. However, I'm glad I was able to find this beer at a local bottle shop. This is a great imperial stout. It's incredibly smooth for the style/ABV and I really enjoyed the chocolate notes in the taste. I just wish the smell and taste was a bit more complex.

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company